Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Here's a third party adventure/campaign for 5th edition (released in partnership with WotC) that originally was for the original Dungeons and Dragons. Pretty nice way to introduce players to the world (for levels 1-3)

http://goodman-games.com/store/product/original-adventures-reincarnated-1-into-the-borderlands/

They also have the Isle of Dread adventure/campaign available (which is levels 4-7, so you can move seamlessly between the large books.

The kinda cool thing is that they reproduce the old D&D adventure in the large books as well, so you can see what it looked like at start)

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Waffles Inc. posted:

I've been living in my new city (Boston) now for long enough that I feel ready and settled enough to head out into the gaming world again or whatever

I'm really jonesing for some tabletop rpg gaming, and short of knowing anyone, I've begun wondering if Adventurer's League is remotely fun

Is it as almost entirely DM-skill dependent as I'm imagining it is? What's the general idea of what it's all about? Is there RP and such?

Hello Fellow New Englander! You may want to check out Pandemonium Books and Games in Cambridge, right off the red line, I'm pretty sure they run it regularly, plus you can get groups fairly easily there I would bet. I used to go up there lots, until I moved another half hour south.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
My online group was talking about a 5E game, but I'm trying to reign in caster supremacy while still making taking on a prepared mage a dicey proposition. Also, it seemed to me like mages can really unbalance the action economy (to be fair, it was a much greater problem in 3E and before, where high level mages would cast a time stop like spell, and get a whole bunch of spells off before anyone can act).

Combine that with that mages can just cast all their highest level spells round after round without any deleterious effect (especially when they talk in game how draining casting high level magic is). Not to mention the Vancian system can be a pain. So I'm noodling my brain to try to change around wizards/sorcerers (probably fits better with sorcerers but it's what I'm working with right now. If it works, it'd replace mages/sorcerers in my world)

My current brainwave: Instead of certain amount of spells per level, Magic Users will have a total daily spell pool= the number of levels they can cast in a day.

For example, a 9th level wizard has 4 cantrips, 4 first, 3 second, 3 Third, 3 Fourth, 1 Fifth. Under this system, cantrips wouldn't change, but they would have (4x1) + (3x2) + (3x3) + (3x4) +(1x5)= 36 spell levels to cast in a day.

Of course, this would mean that a mage could theoretically cast seven fifth level spells in a day, so there has to be a more limiting factor, and what I came up with to add to this was a limit of spells that can be cast at any one time, I call it "The Ready Pool", where a character has ready access to only a number of Spell Levels=to the highest level they can cast. So the above 9th level wizard has a Ready Pool of 5. This ready pool only regenerates one point per round of combat, so if you cast a 5th level spell to start combat, you have used up all the points in your Ready Pool, gain 1 point at the end of the round and only be able to cast 0-level (Cantrips) or a 1st level spell for the next round.

I haven't decided whether to make it a hard limit, or to allow people to push through (taking on fatigue for example, costing extra levels from their daily spell pool or taking HP damage), but a mage can set up a power focus to improve their Ready Pool refresh (current thought is to make it the equivalent of a magic item that they would have to attune to.. also gives the players something to spend money on making). That's why mages are exceptionally dangerous when you try to take them on in their own domain.. they've spent time familiarizing themselves with the magic flow in a specific area, and aspected it to best serve their own needs.)

I'm sure that folks will have a million reasons why this sucks and won't work, so that's why I brought it up here.

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 8, 2022

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Rutibex posted:

Also, give lots of magic items to everyone who isn't a caster.

One thing that I was also noodling about is that instead of finding magic weapons willy nilly, that magewrights can take any mastercrafted weapon and infuse it with crystallized mana (like a metal in this game world, temporary name: Manatite) through a ritual to make it magic.

It's not cheap, and in most cases, not permanent (I'm talking weeks/months before it fades and needs to be reapplied, not days/hours), but it allows someone for example, to carry their family heirloom blade throughout a whole campaign, changing it as they need throughout the career (as the DM allows, of course). It's also used in minor applications, like the "elite" King's Guard (who are really a bunch of slumming second sons and spoiled brats) to have their house's Magewright apply a minor cleaning/mending spell to their armor so it always appears polished and parade-ground gleaming without having to actually you know, ruin their hands maintaining it, like the commoners do.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I kinda like that, but again, caster supremacy rears its head. If you have let's say as +2 flaming long sword, having a mage able to shut it down for good with a third level spell seems a bit unbalanced. But yeah, that would work for minor things like the armor and the uses on that homebrew page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
There's a bunch of 3rd party books already recommended for expanding SJ's lightness. Looking at reading some of them and seeing what they add.

(also would I be the only one to buy a x-wing style game in the Spelljammer Universe?)