Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
We have a ranger in our party who is also a chef, and has been pretty obsessed with food and food prep throughout the campagin. We recently pulled a heist during a fancy banquet. He infiltrated it using his chef skills as a cover and cooked fifty pounds of dinosaur meat for the banquet. We pulled the job, but our escape was slightly complicated by his desire to finish the banquet. Complicated our making our goal, yes, but a wonderfully fun bit of RP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Looking for a bit of advice for my current character. I play as a Tiefling bard, currently at level 5. Most of my combat utility comes from using things like searing smite or branding smite. That said, they sort of require me to get in close proximity to the enemies, and my low AC and HP frequently put me on my back. I’d like to do something to be a little bit more helpful in combat situations. Any advice for what I might look into trying?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I used to play as a rogue name Kel-cie Grah-mur

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Looking for some advice on a potential character build. The DM of our regular campaign is preparing a one shot, with the idea of it being either a heist or an assassination mission. He wants to do it with a party primarily of rogues-it’s a level 8 mission, and he wants all the players to have at least 3 rogue levels. I’m looking for some fun multiclass ideas-I played a precious campaign as a rogue, and while I enjoyed it, I’d like a little extra flavor. I’m toying with prioritizing dexterity and strength and doing a rogue/barbarian character, but curious if there’s any suggestions?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Trivia posted:

Skyhorn Lighthouse is consistently rated pretty high. It's also free!

Seconded on this, I ran it a while back and it was a lot of fun, particularly for me, as it was my first time DMing.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Roll for persuasion with advantage? Don’t mind if do.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
That was supposed to say disadvantage but the odds were the same in any case.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Looking for suggestions: I’m playing as a level 10 Tiefling bardlock (8 levels in lore bard and 2 in hexblade warlock) and, based on the way this campaign has gone, I’ll likely be leveling up in the next couple of sessions. I’m trying to figure out which way to go, whether to take another bard or warlock level. Moving to a D8 for Song of Rest isn’t really that appealing, because the way our campaign has gone we rarely ever short rest, plus we have a a couple of other healers in the party on top of me. I’m leaning towards Pact of the Tome and being able to take some the 3 additional cantrips, but I’m curious if I’ll get more utility out of that plus a third level warlock slot than a fifth level bard slot (though being able to upcast some of my current spells is appealing).

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Hollismason posted:

Hey, anyone got some suggestions for tokens that would be used for visual aids for a in real life game. Seems more affordable than miniatures. Unless there's some super cheap miniatures out there.

My DM frequently uses meeples, you can get 100 of them on Amazon for like 15 bucks.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bad Munki posted:

Lego minis can be fun.

If you have kids, raid their toys. Animals, mythical or otherwise.

The dollar bins at Walmart or your local party supply store can also be a good source of tabletop interest.

Kids toys are a great idea. We’ve used them to great (and amusing) affect in the campaign in playing.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bad Munki posted:

This is wonderful, and exactly what I was getting at. Depending on the whimsy level of the campaign, you can even let the available toys drive the encounter design itself, for comedy. Like that gorilla up there can either be a mean old dire gorilla stand-in, or it can literally be a gorilla in a jacket with a mic, just trying to break into the music industry through a nationally televised talent competition, and the PCs are all that stands in his way.

Depending on the age of the kids, sending them on fetch quests for ad hoc encounters is a hoot, it's like rolling the dice to see what comes back that the PCs will have to deal with, and the kids love it.

I should clarify: none of players are under the age of 35. We were playing at a friend’s house who has a four year old and a two year old and borrowed their stuff for the giant monster we were fighting and the gorilla our Druid polymorphed into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bad Munki posted:

Sure, being of parenting age goes hand in hand with the availability of such toys. And usually these games are, like, after kiddo bedtime. But not always, and when the kids are about, it’s a fun way to let them participate in the adult activity without, like, participating.

For sure! We actually play Saturday mornings, so the kids often pop by to see what we’re doing. The four year old declared he was the “Licky Monster”.