Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
Hey everyone, got an odd issue I'm hoping someone can help me with. Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to give this one a go.

Problem description: Sound works fine until I start up a game like Dark Souls 3 or Dragon Quest XI. Interestingly enough, the sound worked fine once for the DQXI intro movie, but cut off completely during actual gameplay. It hasn't worked at all since. There doesn't seem to be any difference between using headphones or not. It DOES seem to play sound just fine for a windowed game like Death Road To Canada. EDIT These are Steam games, but it doesn't matter if I open them through the UI or through the shortcut- they don't have sound. I tried running another game in windowed mode (Crypt of the Necrodancer) and no sound on that one only- so it's not just fullscreen stuff that's silent.

I'm not exactly sure where to start on this one.

Device Manager Screengrab
Sound Settings Screengrab

Attempted fixes: I've fixed this before, but it was so trial and error that I don't remember what finally resolved the issue. Windows says all drivers are up to date, and I've tried disabling any unnecessary devices (The streaming speakers/microphone- what are those even for?)

Recent changes: No changes. All drivers seem to be up to date.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64bit

System specs: MSI MSI GF62 7RE-1452 Notebook, Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz, 16 GB Ram, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, though I'm having a hard time finding any results specific to my problem. They're mostly just for no sound at all, not just no sound while I'm running a game.

FuriousAngle fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
Never mind... it looks like the culprit was a program that apparently emulates surround sound that snuck on board somehow. Anyway, I uninstalled it and things sound to be working just fine now.

• Locked thread