Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I got a waffle iron when I was a kid in the 90's and this simple non-stick iron has been a work horse ever since. I can't do the glutens but have a simple almond flour recipe I've been using without any problem for years now. The problem is, it's suddenly turned into a disaster of the waffle burning to a crisp and sticking to the iron while the middle is a wet mess. Unless I drown the iron in butter, the waffles will burn on and split every time. My recipe hasn't changed, but it just started doing this suddenly out of nowhere.

The finish on the iron looks fine, there's a couple spots here and there where the black non-stick finish has worn through to show some silver metal under, but maybe the finish has just given out? I've never used any metal tools on it, but since waffles have been sticking like crazy I have to use bamboo skewers to scrape the poo poo off even after a soak.

Is my recipe a problem? It's 1 cup almond flour, 1 cup cream, a ts of guar gum, 2 eggs, baking powder, and a good splash of oil. I used to get this problem to a tiny degree if I didn't add enough oil to the mix but now I can add enough oil to the mix to the point that the waffles come out greasy and wet and the fuckers still want to stick and burn on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010
I had the same experience. I had a very reliable Belgian waffle maker that I got 20 years ago.
Made perfect waffles.
Never used metal on it.
Was diligent about wiping it down

About a year ago I was making a batch and they stuck. Bad. As in I would have had to use a fork to gouge the stuff out and scratch the finish. I used a bamboo skewer to get the big chunks out. I soaked the stuff off but it was never the same. The weird thing is the surface looked intact.

My feeling was that I accidentally burned the waffle and ruined the finish. But then I realized I burned waffles in the past. So I figure after all these years the coating just gave up the ghost.

Be safe waffle iron ghost

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

20 years is a hell of a run for non-stick. Lifetime on most nonstick pans is 3-5 years, and even with much less use, 20 is a stretch.

New waffle iron time.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

I highly recommend the new flippy ones.

Sorry about your waffler. Give it an honorable burial.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Say a little prayer, tell it they'll always be your first, huck it into the recycling. RIP waffle iron.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tried to make my wife christmas waffles by covering the iron in butter and the loving thing still did not want to let go of those waffles. As I clean it with a bamboo stick I can see more and more silver emerging. Probably not good to keep eating all this teflon. RIP

My parents thought it was weird when I asked for my own waffle maker for Christmas when I was like 12 and I'm now 36. With boxing day tomorrow sounds like a perfect time to shop for a new one. Will check out the flippybois.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Baronjutter posted:

Tried to make my wife christmas waffles by covering the iron in butter and the loving thing still did not want to let go of those waffles. As I clean it with a bamboo stick I can see more and more silver emerging. Probably not good to keep eating all this teflon. RIP

My parents thought it was weird when I asked for my own waffle maker for Christmas when I was like 12 and I'm now 36. With boxing day tomorrow sounds like a perfect time to shop for a new one. Will check out the flippybois.

THE 90'S WERE 20 YEARS AGO?!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Don't think about it too hard. :gonk:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

everyone in high school today was born after The Matrix