Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
I've been playing this game since I was a teen, my as well have a go at this challenge.

Did a few re-rolls, and was happy with my new characer, Mi-guk, the neutral evil fighter-cleric.

Overcame Tarnesh handily by using the command spell

And... lost three party members to the Flaming Fist on the way to Nashkel. I buried them there rather than haul everything back to town haha.
RIP Montaron, Jaheira and Khalid, I NEVER LOVED YOU

Currently rolling with Imoen, Xzar, Neera, Kagain and the boring monk man. Gonna hit up some of the side quests around Beregost and Nashkel and once two of them die I'll pick up Kivan and Minsc and rescue that pompous idiot Dynaheir.

Fauxbot fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

OutofSight posted:

Where does Kratos get his cleric powers from? Utter belief in his own supremacy?

I'll be honest, I just wanted him to be able to do cast spells like he can in the games without having to sacrifice wearing armor. Not being able to give him short swords is kinda annoying, but I'm not expecting him to live much longer than the last.

And in all fairness he did receive regular boons from the Gods in the first game, so it's not that far astray.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 25, 2018

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Finally got Maxine's Rep up enough to get the cure spell for chapter 3.

Nimbul nearly ended my run here.

I was going to get the con tome and had a horrible string of luck. Branwen and Kivan got killed by Flesh Golems and Minsc was running scared. I could probably have run away with Maxine and Imoen, but, Kivan would have left almost immediately upon ressing due to his Bandit killing quest. Oh well.

R.I.P. Maxine

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Merry Christmas, BG fans. Updated to here! Also, some posts seem to be getting eaten up or disappearing from pages, but not when I press the ? to hunt down individual posters' history. What gives?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Kala is making big progress in the city of Athkatla.

My stats at character import.

I escaped the dungeon and set off with Minsc and Moo, Jaheria and Yoshimo. We picked up Aerie at the circus and I reached level 9 and dual classed to mage.

Then we went and stole and stole and stole til I had about a million gold, kicked everyone out of the party and memorized all the spells I needed which was all of them and also that was enough to level me up to level 10 and get my berserker abilities back.

I hardly had time to do anything else before I met a man dying the streets that needed rescuing. Long story short the Harpers tried to imprison me and I walked away with this ring.

Called it a night there on account of Christmas and will likely be working for the thieves guild next.

The images are showing up broken for some reason sorry.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Olive Branch posted:

Merry Christmas, BG fans. Updated to here! Also, some posts seem to be getting eaten up or disappearing from pages, but not when I press the ? to hunt down individual posters' history. What gives?

SA was down earlier today, maybe there were some issues with that.

Bill Williamson killed Karlat, and made a quick run down to Nashkel so his party would stop nattering about some menace in the mines. Bill had bigger plans in mind, which were dashed when he purchased 2 scrolls of protection from petrification from a great mage which Xzar promptly failed to inscribe, ruining them in the process. Plan B is to kill some schmuck in Nashkel called Noober, and maybe take a look at those mines afterwards.

This is actually the first time I've commited to no reloads when memorizing spells. Starting to think Xzar's 75% chance to memorize spells is bullshit. He's successfully memorized 7 out of 16 scrolls.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Bill Williamson killed Karlat, and made a quick run down to Nashkel so his party would stop nattering about some menace in the mines. Bill had bigger plans in mind, which were dashed when he purchased 2 scrolls of protection from petrification from a great mage which Xzar promptly failed to inscribe, ruining them in the process. Plan B is to kill some schmuck in Nashkel called Noober, and maybe take a look at those mines afterwards.

This is actually the first time I've commited to no reloads when memorizing spells. Starting to think Xzar's 75% chance to memorize spells is bullshit. He's successfully memorized 7 out of 16 scrolls.

I noticed something similar on Maxine. And she had an 85% chance to memorize. Kel, my second run I'm working on, has only lost one scroll so far. But she has 19 Int.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

There's some sort of broken cache weirdness going on right now, which I guess the downtime was trying to fix and/or caused. Posts will appear and disappear when you reload threads.

It'll probably pass. Alternatively, this is the first sign as the forums finally crumble and die from accumulated shitposting. One of the two.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The very short adventure of Kel.

This is Kel

gently caress off Imoen I'm eeeeevil.

Tarnesh down.

Kagain dies to a ogre. What's the point of having all those hit points if you're just going to lose them all.

Kagain got hurt AGAIN and when he fell back an Ogrillion killed Kel.

RIP Kel.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I've decided when I get back from the fam, I'm gonna do a neutral evil fighter / cleric murderhobo squad. Suggestions, portraits welcome.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 25, 2018

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Say hello to Selia, the Half-Elven Fighter/Mage/Cleric. Running on a BGT Megamod install, so discount me for all kinds of stuff. I am, however, running all the difficulty enhancers, both Unfinished Businesses, and aTweaks. Rerolled for a bit and wound up with these stats, tanking my Charisma to boost the important stuff. And just now I realized the cursor is covering up the Dexterity score - it's 18.

A quick visit to Winthrop to buy the essentials. I'm running 3 stars in TWF and 1 in Warhammers, to take advantage of the *best* weapons in BG1. Also, the mods I'm using remove class restrictions on weaponry, but I intend to stick to using only Cleric-available weapons. (It helps that Clerics get some of the best weapons across BG1 and BG2.)

A quick rest later and...

Lawful Good solely for this Familiar, which allows for easier farming of Ankhegs for XP grinding, along with judicious use of Command. I plan to level up to around 5/5/5 and cruise through BG1, mainly because it's the way I always play. The mods I'm running do not gently caress around, including a return of PnP mechanics. Typically that means I would hurl a Kit into my multiclass, as that's PnP-legal, but this time I'll skip it.

Dropping Imoen off at the Friendly Arms Inn. I've got some Ankhegs to slay!

poo poo! An encounter on the way to the Ankheg farm! Typically this would mean the end of an Ironman run, but I'm applying my Super Secret Technique.

RUN AWAY!

Reached the Ankhegs, and deploying the secret weapon:

Unleash the Psuedodragon!

It begins. :getin: Open with a Command, sic the Familiar, start bashing. Ankhegs have awful Saves vs. Death.

The first... of many. :black101:

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

Olive Branch posted:

Ok good, it's not just me being a bad poster. I was wondering last night why my images weren't loading. As far as I can tell I still understand bbcode ok.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

About an hour later, or, according to the save data:

38 days later, Selia feels confident enough to leave her forced training to hunt down the fucker who murdered her father figure and head back to the FAI to pick up Imoen again. And here you can see the results of another mod:

This mod brings people that join with you up to your level by showering them with Quest Experience. Or, as close as it can, as it's only programmed to dole out XP in amounts of 100,000, 10,000 and 3,333.

As you can see here, I have somehow figured out how to make Neverending Journey work with my megamod install. I'm not sure how the gently caress I managed that, because it has a bunch of poo poo that should conflict (The Darkest Day, etc.) also included in it. Charming Rogue is a unique class for Imoen.

Basically it emulates a Thief/Mage multiclass, with some added bonuses on top. I'll still dual-class her, but at a much later level - namely, after Spellhold in BG2. She's much more useful as a Thief in BG1 to me.

I love Command. :byewhore:

I pick up Khalid and Jaheira while here, fully intending to drop Jaheira so I can use Khalid. Then I remember I modded everyone to change their class a bit (and hosed with their stats), and that I need to go pick up Ajantis.

...I think I went too far with Khalid and Ajantis' stat changes. I'll ShadowKeeper them back to their original stats for this playthrough, but Ajantis is staying an Inquisitor. Why? He was Keldorn's squire. Might as well have a mini-Keldorn for BG1, right?

More to come after Christmas celebrations. But I may need a Dishonor stronger than OP-ium Addict.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 26, 2018

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Alright, time to do this again! :tabletgaming:

Vitus the Cleric/Thief sets off to heal and to steal:

Cracking some Gibberling skulls in the way:

I sometimes forget how brutal 19 strength and slings can be. I do concur with the above goon that Command rules:

That's rude man, you're not getting your girdle back though:

And I only smell half as bad. :colbert:

Yep, slings are ok for now.

Vitus the Cleric/Thief has arrived in Nashkel and is currently relieving foul mouthed Amnians of their valuables.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Bill William cleared the roads south of Beregost and killed Neira (not to be confused with Neera who had a hissyfit and is now sulking at the Friendly Arm Inn). Bill started off a friendly sort, but is quickly becoming paranoid. Procedure for approaching a tavern: Cast defensive spells, assemble party in a semi-circle around the building, send heavily armoured warrior inside, retreat to firing range as necessary.

Zhurlong's boots were nowhere to be found, so I had to cheat them in. Perhaps the hobgoblin despawned after my first dash down to Nashkel.

Montaron is the clear MVP thus far, with a whopping 30% of party kills just using an unenchanted sling. Rasaad gets the prize for being the biggest liability. His fast movement speed and terrible armor class means he needs even more babysitting than Xzar and his 4 hp.

I'm in the middle of a house-move so updates will be limited to the occasional coffee break.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 26, 2018

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Kala is making more progress now that Christmas is over.

I did the copper coronet quest and sided with Hendak. Picked up the spells from Bernard and some of his items. The flaming sword for Minsc will be a key part of our upcoming assault on the Denarsi Keep.

After that I got really tired of managing my inventory so much and went to Watchers Keep and got a potion bag and then recruited some woman named Hexxat who gave me a bag of holding and then I promptly threw her out of the party and hope I never see her again.

Then we were off to the temple district to get a new cloak, kill some meanies and recruit a paladin.

Kala will be heading to the government district soon to help secure Keldorns loyalty. Then probably deal with the troll problem.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Died to the Ogrillons outside of Beregost, they managed to get a lucky hit in. :(

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Vichan posted:

Died to the Ogrillons outside of Beregost, they managed to get a lucky hit in. :(

Hey Ogrillion death buddy!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Been playing the BG series for years (since 1999 or so) and I've never had the stones to play above Core Rules with any tactical mods at all. Kudos to you vets who are actually good at the game!

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I think when I get off work I'm gonna make one more character. It will be a straight fighter specced in bows. Should be good for BG1 at least, while it can still be specced out for melee in BG2. Man look at my optimism there.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Relentlessimp, could you show me the mods that remove class-based weapon restrictions and increase companion experience to (mostly) match the protagonist's? Those are two of my major quibbles with 2nd edition D&D and the Infinity Engine games, be extension.

I really wish that one could remove all racial restrictions on classes as well as allow basically any multi/dual-class option, but I know that the game engine won't allow it. I've just always wanted to play a druid/thief for some reason.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

Relentlessimp, could you show me the mods that remove class-based weapon restrictions and increase companion experience to (mostly) match the protagonist's? Those are two of my major quibbles with 2nd edition D&D and the Infinity Engine games, be extension.

I really wish that one could remove all racial restrictions on classes as well as allow basically any multi/dual-class option, but I know that the game engine won't allow it. I've just always wanted to play a druid/thief for some reason.

Tweaks Anthology (I think) has an option for removing racial restrictions on classes and kits. Unfortunately the multi/dual class combos are baked into the engine but there are a few mods (Might and Guile being the one I'm most familiar with) that try to simulate these by adding 'multiclass kits' that add/remove class features to resemble, say, a ranger/mage.

I'm definitely gonna roll a character or twenty but I'm not sure what I want to do yet.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

Ashes of Embers removes the class restrictions on weapons, but I don't know if it's the one I have installed. I put together my megamod installation a little over a year ago, and didn't keep a list. As such, I don't remember what I installed to do the quest-exp thing.

Oh, Ashes of Ember is definitely not the one I have installed, because Stoneskin and Ironskin aren't nerfed to uselessness.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 26, 2018

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Druid/Thief is a pretty cool idea, there could even be some thematic shapeshifting options. It wouldn't be overpowered either, at least not compared to cleric/thief which is already in the game. Sadly none of the mod kits I know of contain anything close to that.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I like rolling Cleric/Rangers because it takes like three minutes to get stats like this

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Jay Rust posted:

I like rolling Cleric/Rangers because it takes like three minutes to get stats like this

If you are very lucky, yes

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Huh, that's neat.

Xzar has succesfully memorized 1 out of 5 spells so far, off to a good start!

The only one that took was infravision, of course
Now he can finally have infravision like the elves. :unsmith:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bike is short for Bichael:

Going for a single class Cleric of Lathander for a change of scenery. Spent like 10mins rerolling trying to get a 91 so I could have 11 int (and survive two drains from a mindflayer instead of one), but got frustrated and settled for the 89 I got.

Just core rules because I'm planning to do dragonspear and I don't like the way they handled insane difficulty there.

I only have about an hour to play each day so character gen and candlekeep is all I managed today. Only thing of note was the Warhammer I'd bought from Winthrop breaking on the very first swing.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 27, 2018

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Konan the Battlerager sets out on his adventure in EE

I didn't get a screen cap but I failed to pickpocket Algernon and ended up killing him. Lucky 7 Rep isn't awful and hey it's gonna only raise slightly and will keep Edwin happy when I get him (best character).

That cloak is gonna make my life MUCH easier though.

Got the Ankheg Pate in Nashkel and stuck on on 2nd favorite character Kagain. He's also got the +1 Stuperfier. I know he's not proficient in maces but no one in the party is at the moment and it's a good enough weapon that he can roll with it for now. Once I grab Virconia it will go to her and he can have a decent axe again.

Few more annoying but not screen shottable things such as Immoen taking a Winter Wolf bolt to the noggin. Lucky she was level 2 and I still made a net profit from killing it and reviving her.

Can't loving sleep in Nashkel Inn anymore thanks to accidetly hitting everyone in the room with a Color Spray :smith: It's ok though cause you always just camp in the fairgrounds anyway.

Arrived at the Gnoll Fortress with Immoen, Branwen, Edwin, Dorn, Kagain. Ready to kill the witch to secure Edwins loyalty.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

One last run for glory! Meet Baxter.

Honestly, it was a really boring run to Nashkel. Baxter is designed to take advantage of how powerful bows are in BG1.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Please join me for the livestreamed adventures of George Oscar Bhaal:

I never finished my mage/thief playthrough last year so I figured I'd pick up with that. It also gives me a cohesive naming scheme for the whole series of unfortunate lunatics I'll be going through. Nothing significant happened in this session since I'm pretty beat after the holidays and fighting off a stomach virus, but you can laugh at me trying to navigate my way through what I've learned on Duolingo and inferred from Russian. Warning: I sound like an absolute loving nerd.

Character creation:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/354837569

A bear:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/354833481

An absolute loving farce of an ogre fight:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/354833480

Rote memorization:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/354833479

Abusing game flags:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/354835748

Full stream (it got broken up by a server error, only watch if bored):
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/354799590
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/354816785

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Softface posted:

Please join me for the livestreamed adventures of George Oscar Bhaal:

I never finished my mage/thief playthrough last year so I figured I'd pick up with that. It also gives me a cohesive naming scheme for the whole series of unfortunate lunatics I'll be going through. Nothing significant happened in this session since I'm pretty beat after the holidays and fighting off a stomach virus, but you can laugh at me trying to navigate my way through what I've learned on Duolingo and inferred from Russian. Warning: I sound like an absolute loving nerd.

Character creation:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/354837569

A bear:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/354833481

An absolute loving farce of an ogre fight:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/354833480

Rote memorization:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/354833479

Abusing game flags:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/354835748

Full stream (it got broken up by a server error, only watch if bored):
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/354799590
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/354816785

God speed my man.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bichael has survived the first two mercs without any casualties, which are where half my ironmans die. Picked up Ajantis for some additional meat shielding. Killed the ogre for a belt, turned in the quest then killed the quest giver to get it back. Also killed Algernon for his cloak.

I'll come back later for Silke - I'm planning to make this an iron party run, if/when people die and don't want to risk anyone against her lightning bolt.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Bill William has cleared the Nashkel Mines. He then promptly dumped Khalid and Jaheira for another mage (Xan) and a cleric he found in the Nashkel Carnival. He also picked up a scroll of petrification there, which he plans on making good use of east of Beregost. Also Bill can now breathe fire(?!), which it turns out is pretty useful, probably moreso once he can cast some decent defensive spells.

I'm planning on using characters I usually skip, hence rolling with Xzar, Montaron, Xan, Rasaad and Branwen. Think I'll pick up Yeslick later on and sub Branwen out. Might be a bit challenging as I'll be relying on two multi-classed fighters as meat shields.

The Nashkel Mines were a breeze. It's been a long time since I played through the games without SCS installed, and I had forgotten how chill the mines are without hordes of kobolds respawning around every corner. That said, the early game is still unforgiving. HP pools are so low that a single mistake can spell doom. Xzar has died twice, once to Bassilus (the mistake here was positioning, the henge obscures sight so ranged characters have a habit of charging into the middle of the fight) and once when trying to evade a wolf. Montaron also died to a trap in the Nashkel mines. I forgot to pick up a scroll of invisibility so he could disarm traps in safety.

Full disclosure: I am resurrecting dead npcs with ctrl-r. I just don't have the patience or time for inventory tetris and the run back to a temple when the inevitable happens. There should perhaps be a medal of dishonour for dirty cheaters such as I.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 27, 2018

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Full disclosure: I am resurrecting dead npcs with ctrl-r. I just don't have the patience or time for inventory tetris and the run back to a temple when the inevitable happens. There should perhaps be a medal of dishonour for dirty cheaters such as I.

do an iron party run :ssh:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

This reminded me of something that annoys me a bit about difficulty levels in the BG games; I don't like that normal difficulty reduces damage received, but I like all of the other differences over Core Rules. I find these games hard enough that having max HP at level up just keeps me from save-scumming, spell copy failure was and always will be a stupid idea and perma-death would bother me less if the level 7 clerical spell Resurection worked like it does in P&P and could bring back people who had been blown to bits, but it doesn't.

I wish that this screen used a series of tick boxes that one could check or uncheck to choose which rules were in place. I know that it seems a small thing to complain about a reduction in incoming damage, but I find that the three other changes on Core Rules are utterly random events that can gently caress the player over hard: party member gone for good with no recourse, piss-awful max HP and never being able to cast a vital spell like Stoneskin because there are only two copies in the whole game and your mage somehow blew an 85% scribe chance twice.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Shawlucia the Elf Sorceror has died to Clay Golems in Lady Irenicus's chambers

Im not nearly good enough or knowledgeable enough in these games to actually do a Solo run, but I gave it a shot. I'll start a proper Ironman run this weekend.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

JustJeff88 posted:

I wish that this screen used a series of tick boxes that one could check or uncheck to choose which rules were in place. I know that it seems a small thing to complain about a reduction in incoming damage, but I find that the three other changes on Core Rules are utterly random events that can gently caress the player over hard: party member gone for good with no recourse, piss-awful max HP and never being able to cast a vital spell like Stoneskin because there are only two copies in the whole game and your mage somehow blew an 85% scribe chance twice.

I'm pretty sure in the options section under gameplay there's a section to turn on stuff like max HP on level and auto-learn spells, though I'm not too sure on the second one. They've changed/added a lot of things with the EE even since my runs last year (like a loving trap in the Candlekeep Inn :v:)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Tweak pack also has options for rolling hit points, and I believe if you're on EE the Barbarian bug is fixed for NWN style hit points (get some where between 50 and 100% of the max per level).

Though that was a funny bug.

Tweak pack also lets you always learn from scrolls. Getting chunked is the only unfixable part of core rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Konan Battlerager and Ko have killed the witch Dynaheir securing the services of the great Red Wizard Edwin and are heading to clear out the Nashkel Mines