Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Softface posted:

They've changed/added a lot of things with the EE even since my runs last year (like a loving trap in the Candlekeep Inn :v:)

Wait, what? I haven't seen any traps in Candlekeep and the only chests I didn't open this run are the ones in the Barracks. I'm not sure if there is a version difference between Android and PC but I think I'm running the latest one.

Also, quick update Vitus the Cleric/Thief is approaching the Bandit Camp. Will do a proper update later but I have to find time to transfer the screenshots from the tablet and these days are still family time first. :unsmith:

Ulvino fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Softface posted:

Please join me for the livestreamed adventures of George Oscar Bhaal:

'Sup Czech buddy.

Anyhow, got a question for everyone: I've beaten both games several times but it was always with wizardly or clericy classes; now I'm kinda itching to try the run with a ranger or a druid. How difficult will this be and are there absolutely necessary skills (in the vein of Command or Sleep) to do this?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

'Sup Czech buddy.

Anyhow, got a question for everyone: I've beaten both games several times but it was always with wizardly or clericy classes; now I'm kinda itching to try the run with a ranger or a druid. How difficult will this be and are there absolutely necessary skills (in the vein of Command or Sleep) to do this?

Any class is viable and fun, but single class druids are the weakest alongside bards and thieves. Like thieves, they become a lot better when dual or multiclassed to fighter. Rangers are fine but a bit boring, with the exception of the Archer kit which is one of the strongest kits in the game IMO.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ranger plays basically like a fighter who can cast some basic buff spells. You can get a lot of mileage out of charming bears.

Druids don't get any game-changing spells until level 9 or so. Entangle is good until you can cast web.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

bike tory posted:

Any class is viable and fun, but single class druids are the weakest alongside bards and thieves. Like thieves, they become a lot better when dual or multiclassed to fighter. Rangers are fine but a bit boring, with the exception of the Archer kit which is one of the strongest kits in the game IMO.

Non-blade Bards for BG. Blade's are apparently crazy powerful in BG1

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ulvino posted:

Wait, what? I haven't seen any traps in Candlekeep and the only chests I didn't open this run are the ones in the Barracks. I'm not sure if there is a version difference between Android and PC but I think I'm running the latest one.

Also, quick update Vitus the Cleric/Thief is approaching the Bandit Camp. Will do a proper update later but I have to find time to transfer the screenshots from the tablet and these days are still family time first. :unsmith:

I think that chest in the lobby with the armor and infravision scrolls is technically trapped (in that a thief can detect/disarm it) but I've never noticed any consequences for it going off (and I usually bash that chest open), so I suspect it's there just as a "hey, newbie, here's what traps look like" thing.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Didn't get any playing done today but heres my update from yesterday:

Kala

Started off with Dearsni keep instead of the thieves guild like I said I would.

It went very smoothly.

Only me and Keldorn have +3 weapons but he was hurt so I just sent him out and took on the iron golem myself.

Tor'gal went down easily and only minsc took any real damage.

After that I did actually get around to the thieves guild and this is really the only sometimes hard part of that entire quest line. But with this party he died really easily and didn't put up a fight. Insect swarm makes him basically a chump.

I did all the quests in Trademeet after and forgot to take until screenshots until it was time to leave.

After that I did some Harper quests stuff related to Jaheria getting kicked out and some of the fighters stronghold quest line stuff.

Hit level 12 and got level 6 spells which is real nice. Probably gonna go after a dragon soon. We also had our first death of run with Minsc taking a nasty nuke during one of the fights in the harper hq when he was already half dead.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Ulvino posted:

There is definitely a trap in Candlekeep, but I'm not sure if it actually does anything: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/355507799

Last night all I did was run around and kill basilisks so I could be overleveled for the early game stuff, now it's just a matter of killing Bassilus so I can get overgeared and it'll be off to Nashkel!

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Well, that's it for ol' George Oscar Bhaal. Magic Missile didn't disrupt Bassilus's Feeblemind spell and he was free to beat me right to death.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/355545073

But you can watch him run through (from) most every basilisk on the Sword Coast if you really want to:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/355204300
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/355328127

I'll have a new character rolled up and get back on it in a few.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Gridlocked posted:

Non-blade Bards for BG. Blade's are apparently crazy powerful in BG1

So are all the other bard too. Solo bards play pretty much exactly like solo mages except with more hp and access to better equipment (ie. Deadshot, Legacy of the Masters, Greagan’s Harp).

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Once more unto the breach, dear Goons.

Time to unleash… The Pebble!

The Pebble, the solo barbarian is ready to crack some heads.

The Pebble feels nothing but contempt for scrawny assassins in Candlekeep. After Gorion kicks the bucket, The Pebble ventures into the wilderness, robs Imoen and Xzar blind and arrives to The Friendly Arms inn.

Welcome to Dead City Pop: Tarnesh

Some quest solving and looting done in the inn and the surrounding areas, The Pebble arrives to Beregost. The most important lesson The Pebble has ever learned from Gorion is that talky old men known as mages are great xp pinatas!

The Pebble sells beatdown and beatdown accessories!

The Pebble hates poison!

Remember kids, winners don’t do magic!

(yes, Silke managed to kill Garrick, the three men and herself at the same time!)

After clearing Beregost of quests, time to make a quick trip to Nashkel and rob everything.

Sirines are dangerous even with The Pebble almighty rage! Luckily, clarity potions are a godsend.

The Pebble nearly got crushed to death by flesh golems, twice. At least The Pebble gets a body building magazine for his troubles. The Pebble is now so swole that he regenerates all damage!

Talky chicken-man Melicamp saved!

The Pebble, the solo barbarian is on his way to the Nashkel mines

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 29, 2018

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So one more question before I start my suicide run: I'm kinda used to playing with the Tweaks Anthology, but the version linked on the first page does not appear to have the installation .exe file; anyone have a link to a working one? Or, hell, just the fix allowing you to pick up thrown weaponry (for I Have A Plan).

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Spellhold Studios (and Gibberlings 3 which is hosted by them) have been moving providers, so the old links are busted. I'm not sure if the new sites are working properly yet. If not, no doubt someone has a copy they can upload. I know I do, but its on an old laptop sans charger unfortunately.

Edit: is this it? https://www.gibberlings3.net/files/file/973-the-tweaks-anthology/

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 29, 2018

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Seems so, thanks a ton! All the links I tried to this site showed errors.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bichael continues at his snail's pace. Picked up Neera and now have a very well rounded 4 person group. She is oh so squishy with only 8 HP, so I don't expect her to live long. I've been much luckier with HP rolls on the other three.

We killed Silke, and Imoen's wand of magic missile is the current MVP.

Took care of all the quests in/around Beregost and the roads down to Nashkell. Bee-lined it for the Ankheg plate, took care of the bounty hunter at the Nashkell inn without any difficulty.

Moved on the carnival where I de-stoned Branwen just in case I want to pick her up later (unlikely). The evil mage in the tent came closest to killing someone because he got off three acid arrows on Ajantis. Those acid damage ticks build up! Drained all my potions keeping him alive unfortunately. Proceeded down to the mine entrance and killed Greywolf.

Next time I'll clear out the mines.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Gibberlings 3 is back up, so you can go right there if you need anything from now on.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Also poor Baxter died to Greywolf. My ENTIRE PARTY died to Greywolf.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Question bike tory: Why don't you want Branwen? She's a better cleric than Jaheria would be at this point and only outdone by Virconia later

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

Question bike tory: Why don't you want Branwen? She's a better cleric than Jaheria would be at this point and only outdone by Virconia later

My PC is a cleric :ssh:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bichael continues his journey

Imoen bit the dust against Mulahey, so there goes one of only two decent thieves in the game:

I picked up Xan so he'd be available later in case Neera dies. The amazons outside the mines were a piece of cake with two mages to disable them.

Neera one-shot Nimbul with the wand of lightning that Imoen (RIP) stole for her from the manor in Beregost.

My first bandit ambush was on the way back up to Beregost. I was sure that one of my mages was done for, but both landed some disables and fortunately it was only one of the small ambushes.

I dumped Xan at an inn in Beregost, met officer Vai, killed Tarnesh, and then headed west with the ultimate goal of picking up Safana. Along the way we picked up Melicamp and took down Bassilus, whose whole "family" died in a fireball from Bichael's necklace.

Further west, the dire charms from Sil and her sirines were no match for my summoned skeletons. I thought with the enhanced editions they'd improved enemy AI to no longer waste spells on targets that are immune, but I guess not.

I snapped up the constitution tome, got Safana, headed to the area north briefly to hunt some more sirines, then headed back to hand in quests. Unfortunately Melicamp didn't make it:

That's all I managed today. Currently everyone (I think) is at level five. Next time is bandit camp and beyond.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Bill William killed Mutamin and his basilisks, scrounged up a wand of fireballs and a wand of monster summoning. Figure I have a decent shot of making it through the first game unscathed now.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Kala Is nearly done chapter 2.

I started off by going to the planar prison and the party made quick work of the threats there. Things got a little dicey against the Wyvern where I was taking a lot of hasted poison damage.

After that we went to the Temple of Ulmar or whatever it's called. Not much happened in the first part Minsc and Keldorn had some dicey parts due to their lower HP pools and taking some bad hits but things went smooth otherwise. I wasn't high enough level to spawn the liches yet so that was fine.

Had Yoshimo set a ton of traps against the dragon and that setup an easy fight. I spent 3 turns lowering their magic resistance before Aerie cast breach so they lived longer than 1 round only because of the protection from magical weapons.

After that I went to the Planar Sphere and forgot to take any screenshots. Things went pretty smooth until the very end when the part where you put the heart in. The golems in that room didn't spawn until we were already walking out and they aggroed my back lines and I had to quickly retreat. Once I got my front lines in the front it went okay.

Got a new weapon for Valygyr after that who I picked up for the Planar Sphere quest instead of Minsc but I'm liking him so far and might hold onto him a bit longer.

After that we did the beholder cult and that was pretty trivial due to the shield of balduran. Where I forgot to take screenshots again. Now we are off to kill another dragon.

Later that day:

A mournful update for Kala

We killed the dragon but Jaheria was chunked during this process. We'll see her again in Tome of Bhaal (I think it respawns dead characters except Yoshimo?) but for now she's done.

cheesetriangles fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 30, 2018

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

My session with Bichael today did not go well at all...

First I lost Ajantis to a full volley of hits from Blacktalon Elite ice arrows:

Then while clearing the bandit camp, a wild surge on Neera resulted in a fiery death for my very recently recruited Safana:

So I was in need of some new NPCs. After finishing off the bandit camp I recruited Minsc and set off to save Dynaheir. This all went fine. I was clearing up the surrounding areas and doing battle with the Doomsayer. Bichael had been tanking but had dropped low and retreated to heal up, when an errant lightning strike hit him and...

RIP Bichael, Cleric of Lathander, struck by lightning.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Arnaldo the Shaman begins his travels.

Arnaldo is a perfect physical specimen and the sexiest half-orc alive, which while perhaps not the highest bar to clear is a bar nonetheless.
He's also a Shaman, so we'll see how much those godlike stats are worth in the end.

Unfortunately, the Big World Setup shat the bed in a million ways before I gave up and lowered myself to install the mods I want manually. That cost me some time so Arnaldo hasn't gone on as many grand adventures as I'd hoped he would yet.
The main mods that are important for the run are Sword Coast Stratagems (nearly full installation) and IWDification because IWD spells make Druids and Shamans infinitely more palatable.

For example:

A first level spell that's worth casting and spammable.

Behold its awesome power as Arnaldo calls forth the merciless fury of the sun for 7 damage.

Further behold the might of the Shamanic Dance.

Lastly, behold Gorion's burial.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Also:

bike tory posted:

drat. What a death. :v:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Kala has made it to the underdark.

I kicked everyone out and scribed some scrolls to reach level 14.

Then made wise use of my new 7th level spells and got some new items.

After that we said goodbye to valgyr and headed for watchers keep and cleared the first level. I thought the 4 man party to increase xp share would help for a bit.

Wanted to get this staff and this seemed like a good time.

Something weird happened during the fight with kangaxx, he had a morale failure and ran away. Never seen that happen before.

We wrap up chapter 3 and head to spell hold. I added Valgyr back to the party and picked up Anomen as well. I'm not sold on him but figured why not. I dual classed yoshimo for some reason. He's only level 1 but I think he will be a big help.

Picked up Imoen to replace the now gone Yoshimo and she is our new thief. Cleared out the dungeons and moved on. We headed away on the boat and picked up the cloak of mirroring and the silver sword blade along the way.

In the Underdark we are knocking out some side quests and are going to clear the beholders and mindflayers before we move on to the drow city. I got the belt of strength which will be turned into Crom Faeyr when we get back and got some new spells. The fight against the mage was a little lovely because he imprisoned Aerie and Anomen but I had 2 spare copies of freedom thankfully. Enrage kept me safe.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

bike tory posted:

Fairly ironic in an Ironman game. Would have been incredibly so if he was a cleric of Talos.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What are some tips for surviving the first few levels as a sorcerer? I’m tempted to take Find Familiar as a 1st level spell for the extra six hit points but that also seems like a waste!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

What are some tips for surviving the first few levels as a sorcerer? I’m tempted to take Find Familiar as a 1st level spell for the extra six hit points but that also seems like a waste!

Know the easy quests to do and probably do them solo. The quest to find the lost puppy and the quest for that paladin that has the cursed sword both reward thousands of xp and require no combat. The quest up north with the priestess of umblee is pretty easy and only requires very minor combat and rewards like 3000 xp. Just stick to the river when walking thru the ankheg land and they don't usually spawn. Once you get to level 3 or so maybe grab a party and take out the baskilisks with the help of that ghoul. Spec into slings obviously. Don't take find familiar at level 1 its a total waste.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

Fairly ironic in an Ironman game. Would have been incredibly so if he was a cleric of Talos.

Ironic for a cleric of Talos, absolutely fitting for a cleric of Lathander since iirc they are opposing deities.

Jay Rust posted:

In an Ironman it's honestly not that bad of an idea - by level 6+ the only first level spells you'll be casting anyway are magic missile and identify. The main tip is to use lots of Sleep spell, rest often, and have lots of meat shields. And ALWAYS be at full HP. Even one or two HP is often the difference between life and death.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 31, 2018

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Kala has returned from the dark

The mind flayers fell to mordenkainens swords then I killed the first beholder in the beholder city and left. They are too big a pain in the rear end and the first one drops the equalizer blade.

The rest of the drow quest line is pretty trivial if you've already gotten one of the blood/brain.

Escaping the underdark got me to level 18 mage and 9th/10th level spells. Grabbed a planetar as my first power choice.

We went back to the city and cured yoshimo of his geas and picked up a bunch of new spells.

And then went to cromwell to get some new items including the vorpal sword, the equalizer, the gaesen bow, the wave blade or whatever it's called and... the weapon I've been waiting for since I made my character in bg1, the hammer of thunderbolts, crom faeyr.

I went and finished the fighters stronghold quest line after this and lord what's his name didn't fare too well against a planetar with a vorpal blade.

Going to work on watchers keep next. I think it's time we got our old friend Mminsc back and said goodbye to Anomen.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Kala Has died in watchers keep.

Things went from good.

To bad

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'll do one more. This time meet Baiku Torii, the katana wielding Half-Orc Kensai:

My first setback was within 10s of playing

Winthrop :argh:

Anyway I've had longer to play today, so I made it through the mines and have currently just cleared out the coastal areas south of candlekeep as far south as the gnoll fortress for:
A) a katana from that ogre-mage holding the sirine hostage
B) the two tomes

Current party:
Imoen
Jaheira
Khalid
Garrick (yes Garrick, he's pulling his weight just thank you)
Xan (no more Neera, I'm done with her wild surges)

No deaths so far, though Xan comes close every time he gets hit as he only has 11hp at level 4.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Meet Pleasenodie the elven sorceress.

I start with a real good roll after only a minute or so.

Starting stats. Core rules of course.

I go solo and knock out some early game quests and some early game enemies.

The assassin is no match for magic missile and scorcher.

Melicamp doesn't make it.

I take on the evil cleric who's name I forget with the help of a potion of magic blocking or whatever the one that blocks all spells below 5th level. He is pretty much helpless after that.

I went and killed some baskilisks with the help of a scroll of protection from petrification after that. All of this got me up to level 5 and it's time to pickup a party.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Critical Mister is a promising young talent in the Candlekeep EDM* scene, but the audiences there, well, they're rats.

So he's decided to set out into the wider world to see what opportunities lie in store.

(Also not only did someone done killed his pa, but the assholes at Candlekeep changed all the locks the instant he set foot outside.)

He was given strict instructions to hook up with some aged relations at the Friendly Arms Inn, instructions he promptly ignored to seek out life in The Big City. Well, a big city. Well, Beregost. It's bigger than Candlekeep!

(I'm running with a few mods and tweaks and such, most notably SCS on Tactical difficulty.)
___
*Enchanted Dance Music

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

cheesetriangles posted:

Things went from good.

To bad

RIP Kala, the chromatic demon is a pain in the rear end.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

cheesetriangles posted:

Things went from good.

To bad

What a shame! I thought Kala was going to go the distance.

This makes me want to play Baldur’s Gate again. My problem? I am not, or at least was not, very good at it. Are there any good sources that would show me how to ‘git gud’?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This is Dante, Half-Elf Cleric/Ranger, using the neatest BG-style custom portrait I've ever been able to find!

I'm using BG1NPC for the ability to send NPCs to inns, ICDification to make Jaheira more interesting (also I thought Cleric/Rangers would get Druid spells but it looks like that was patched out), and a mod that removes the Beamdog NPCs because I don't like how they're written.

MVP has definitely been the Cleric spell, Command. I blasted through the early-game hurdles with zero trouble.

A bandit ambush turned out to be no problem. I'm feeling pretty confident!

Closest call has been, what else, a random lightning strike.

Mines are cleared, no trouble whatsoever.

Until...

These girls.

I blame my stinginess with potions, and a series of awful rolls.

Minsc gets hit with Rigid Thinking, and Dynaheir fails a morale check. She catches her beau's arrow and dies.

Meanwhile, all my other guys are Held. Jaheira dies next.

But the rest of us survive. I'm going to go pick up Xan and Kivan to get our party back to six.

Then later I unceremoniously get petrified because of poor positioning.

The End.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

MVP has definitely been the Cleric spell, Command. I blasted through the early-game hurdles with zero trouble.

Yeah I hadn't really used it much before my cleric run here but it really trivialises those early bounty hunter fights that can easily be run killers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I've been binging BG hard, already finished with BG1 and in BG2 (I'll write the report later). The thing is I've been playing fairly sloppy, especially towards the end of BG1, however this character has survived so many near-death situations by sheer luck it's disgusting.