Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Relentlessimp, could you show me the mods that remove class-based weapon restrictions and increase companion experience to (mostly) match the protagonist's? Those are two of my major quibbles with 2nd edition D&D and the Infinity Engine games, be extension.

I really wish that one could remove all racial restrictions on classes as well as allow basically any multi/dual-class option, but I know that the game engine won't allow it. I've just always wanted to play a druid/thief for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

This reminded me of something that annoys me a bit about difficulty levels in the BG games; I don't like that normal difficulty reduces damage received, but I like all of the other differences over Core Rules. I find these games hard enough that having max HP at level up just keeps me from save-scumming, spell copy failure was and always will be a stupid idea and perma-death would bother me less if the level 7 clerical spell Resurection worked like it does in P&P and could bring back people who had been blown to bits, but it doesn't.

I wish that this screen used a series of tick boxes that one could check or uncheck to choose which rules were in place. I know that it seems a small thing to complain about a reduction in incoming damage, but I find that the three other changes on Core Rules are utterly random events that can gently caress the player over hard: party member gone for good with no recourse, piss-awful max HP and never being able to cast a vital spell like Stoneskin because there are only two copies in the whole game and your mage somehow blew an 85% scribe chance twice.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

bike tory posted:

RIP Bichael, Cleric of Lathander, struck by lightning.

Fairly ironic in an Ironman game. Would have been incredibly so if he was a cleric of Talos.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Angry Lobster posted:

I've been binging BG hard, already finished with BG1 and in BG2 (I'll write the report later). The thing is I've been playing fairly sloppy, especially towards the end of BG1, however this character has survived so many near-death situations by sheer luck it's disgusting.

Bloody hell man, how are you not dead of dehydration?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I really do like Blades and I might even venture to say that they are the most well-rounded single class character in the game, but their poor thief Thac0 progression is very frustrating throughout most of BG1. I played an illegal Blade (full Elf with 19 Dex) in my last runthrough, and the only way to consistently hit anyone was with a bow - this includes Offensive Spin. I realise also that Blades level up relatively quickly, but I still found it very frustrating to melee with a kit supposedly built for it. If BG supported Finesse melee weapons whose to-hit bonus was based on Dex rather than Str, it would probably be another story.

Mind you, my Blade started with 17 Str and went to 18 with the Tome because I was unaware that I could do 18->19, so that did cost me a +2 attack bonus.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Angry Lobster posted:

Is a quirk of the ruleset, unfortunately early bg1 is especially unkind for melee, no matter what your character is.

Oh, I'm well aware... I still have a nearly encyclopedic knowledge of the core books for 2nd edition in my head after all of these years, including the Thac0 table for warriors/priests/rogues/mages. The problem is that the rogue's base Thac0 goes up at half the rate of a warrior's and still less than a cleric's or druid's, so the period of futility extends well into the "early mid" levels.

bike tory posted:

It's the attacks per round more than anything. Bows, for whatever reason, have an innate 2apr. Even straight fighters can't get that many with a single weapon until BG2.

Slings and crossbows are just as lousy as melee weapons. Bows are the reason ranged rules early BG.

Also this. Bows were somewhat overpowered in 2nd edition except perhaps for high-level warriors, the caveat being that many classes could not use them. The rule is essentially: some sort of long bow, some sort of short bow, sling if you absolutely must, crossbows are pointless because if you can use a crossbow you can use a bow which is much better. 3rd edition did improve this based on how it did weapon proficiencies, but that's damning with fine praise.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Softface posted:

So sad to see you go, and so late in the game!

But now you get to do the journey again :unsmith:

I'm sad. As much as I don't really care for solo runs, I really wanted you to go the distance and I'm worried that nobody will finish the marathon this year.

biscuits and crazy posted:

the best armour Celeste can get in BG1 unless I can kill Drizz't for his set.

My last game of BG1 was with a non-solo Blade, and I was gutted when I managed to kill Drizzt and my MC couldn't cast spells in his armour. For some reason, I just assumed that he would be able.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
You're a brave man, docbeard... Rayvek is going to be nearly bloody useless for a long time. I'm too much of a coward to dual-class; I've never done it in pen and paper 2nd edition nor in any video game.

I actually can't think of another 2nd edition D&D video game that allows dual-classing apart from BG and IWD, but you get my point.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Angry Lobster posted:

No, I had the rod of resurrection so I could full heal on demand, the reason I got into the temple was to cast spells without triggering Cowled enforcer squads. Still this guy gave me a lot of grief.

That was a fun update; I have a fondness for dual-class gnome illusionist/whatevers from my tabletop days.

By the way, you used the same picture of Rayic twice in a row.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Olive Branch posted:

Updated the OP to here! The list of dead grew, but so did the list of fresh meat heroes and victors claiming the throne of triumph! Well done to all.

Has anyone done either the triple (BG1, BG2, ToB) or the full quadruple (BG1, SoD, BG2, ToB) successfully yet?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Does anyone have any suggestions for the Twisted Rune fight? Vanilla, in my case. I've always struggled mightily with that one, yet I love the Staff of the Magi so I carry on regardless. I prefer to avoid cheese (by which I mean tactics; it's wonderful food) if at all possible.

Olive Branch posted:

I'm sure some people in the past threads have. Hell, we had one poster literally die in the final fight of the trilogy as our closest irongod this year.

I actually meant this year specifically, but I believe that you just answered that for me.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Styles, I for one would enjoy seeing an IWD run in this thread, but everyone else may not be amenable. If you wanted to make it a separate thread, though, that would be welcome as well.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Apart from IWDification, which I've heard mentioned several times here, are there any other good mods for improving druid/shaman/bard spell and ability selection? While I prefer BG, IWD, both 1 and 2, did a grand job of making druids and vanilla bards less crap much of the time. I'm aware that IWD2 was based on 3rd edition rules, but the point stands. Shaman look fun, but They seem to be dead weight until about character level 7 or so.

Skwirl posted:

Nah, just put it in this thread, it's not like it's getting hundreds of posts a day.

To be honest, I was less concerned about general approval and more about Styles being able to turn an Ironman run into a standard LP if he wanted to.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Genuinely saddened by this, Lobster. I have never participated in this thread because I don't have a deep knowledge of these games nor how to best prepare and post the screenshots of an LP, but I follow it every year. I often wish that more Ironman runs that eventually fail would be converted into standard LPs but, for people that know the games inside and out already, that's probably a boring prospect.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Bloody hell, how did you end with a (temporary) max HP of 328/348?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Tenser's Transformation doubles HP from 164 to 328, and for the Balor fight, I also used the Avoid Death HLA, which added a flat 20 HP on top of that.

I had forgotten about T'sT; that must be fantastic for bards.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
An absolutely wizard character in IWD2 is Rogue (1)/Bard (everything else). I always make him a male Drow in homage to a former tablemate, but the combo is important, not the race. By wizard I mean great, not that he's an actual wizard... but he sort of is, being a bard, but not really.

I will say that I am not a fan of the randomised loot in IWD. I'm okay for having things be in different spots randomly to add variety, but not "if the dice don't roll well, you'll never get a key item" - that's bollocks. It's like playing Claire in the original RE2 and getting the bowgun twice.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
What level is Celeste the solo Blade at the end of BG2? I don't think that that was in the screenshots.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

40, she's been at the XP cap since Spellhold.

Thanks - I remembered the cap experience number for BG2 but not the table for rogues. If I had had to guess, I would have said 36ish.

I'm always a little surprised by people keeping the cap in place. I always remove it and assume that everyone else does the same. I've never worried about being overpowered as a result, but then again I don't do solo runs.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
It's nice to IWD given a workout. It doesn't have the personality of BG or the story of PT, but it does have some strong encounter design and offers a stiff challenge.

Having said that... I last played the original IWD yonks ago in the early 2000s and never acquired either expansion. I have IWDEE now and It's been so long that I've genuinely forgotten: When/In what order is the player meant to play HoW and TofL? Is there a specific set of criteria for them and/or a suggested minimum level or point in the main game? I haven't a clue.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I found this on the beamdog forums, if anyone is interested. Assuming that this isn't utter rubbish, I'll research where the various "points of no return" are.

quote:

The ideal order, then, would be:
1) Complete the main game up until the point of no return at the end.
2) Go to Heart of Winter.
3) Complete Heart of Winter up until the point of no return at the end.
4) Go to Trials of the Luremaster.
5) Complete Trials of the Luremaster.
6) Complete Heart of Winter.
7) Complete the main game.
Once you complete Trials of the Luremaster, there is no returning to the Trials of the Luremaster portion of the game. Instead, you are automatically deposited back into Heart of Winter.

Once you complete Heart of Winter, there is no returning to the Heart of Winter portion of the game. Instead, you are automatically deposited back into the main campaign. (Since TotL is accessed through the Heart of Winter portion of the game, this necessarily locks you out of TotL for this run, as well.)

As long as you complete the three elements in that order, (TotL > HoW > Main Campaign), you can do all three in a single playthrough without having to import your party into a new game, (losing all of your gold and containers in the process).

If you screw up the order, it's not a huge deal. Just start a new Heart of Winter game, import your party, and play on through. The developers of IWD built it specifically to accommodate multiple playthroughs, anyway. Indeed, more than accommodating, most of the design decisions, (an unreachable XP cap, the random loot tables, the flat HP bonus on HoF mode, the lack of tradeoff-free stat boosts like BG1's infamous Tomes), actually incentivize and encourage multiple runs.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Wizard Styles posted:

The base game's point of no return is entering the area unlocked by placing all the badges in Dorn's Deep.

The point of no return in HoW is almost impossible to miss: it's setting sail to the island where you face the expansion's main villain.

Thank you. I put that little guide into a text file and I will add this bit to it. As I said, it's been nearly two decades since I played any part of IWD.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Having Styles point out the... let's call them "foibles" of the IWD random loot system has made me wonder: Is there a mod for IWDEE that changes this? Being able to pick which of a number of options one wants is too much to ask, but I'm starting to remember why I haven't played this game in nearly two decades.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Wizard Styles posted:

https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/tweaks/tweaks/
One of the components does exactly that. I think that is definitely too much, though, always getting the best item or just the one you need most is too powerful.

What I'd recommend instead is just using the broader original BG1/IWD proficiency system, which is also a component of the tweak pack. That will solve the main issue with the random loot system.

Thanks a bundle, Styles. I will probably use both. To be fair, I'm not as experienced and gifted in regards to Infinity Engine games as most people in this thread, and I don't think being able to choose my reward will break the experience for me. IWD is known for tougher encounter design and a generally stiffer challenge and, having not touched the game since about 2002, I'll take a "wait and see" approach about what mods might be too generous.

Regardless, this is grand and thank you again.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
It just occurred to me that doing this game Ironman style must be rather easier than BG and PT in the sense that there is no main character whose death immediately ends the game. In IWD, 5 of the 6 PCs can be scythed down and, so long as one is still up, the game still hasn't technically ended.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Question about IWD's somewhat vexing random drops... do any items ever get rerolled? By that I am asking if randomly-rolled items ever have another chance of appearing later in another randomly-rolled opportunity, or if every item is "one and done".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I'm very glad that you managed to go from the very beginning to the very end, biscuits. A great way to cap off (minus the IWD playthrough) Ironman Season 2019.