Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Wild Mage
Avenger Druid
Barbarian or Berserker
Wild Mage sounds really brutal on Ironman, though.

Anyhow, I really ought to try it this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Softface posted:

Please join me for the livestreamed adventures of George Oscar Bhaal:

'Sup Czech buddy.

Anyhow, got a question for everyone: I've beaten both games several times but it was always with wizardly or clericy classes; now I'm kinda itching to try the run with a ranger or a druid. How difficult will this be and are there absolutely necessary skills (in the vein of Command or Sleep) to do this?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So one more question before I start my suicide run: I'm kinda used to playing with the Tweaks Anthology, but the version linked on the first page does not appear to have the installation .exe file; anyone have a link to a working one? Or, hell, just the fix allowing you to pick up thrown weaponry (for I Have A Plan).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Seems so, thanks a ton! All the links I tried to this site showed errors.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so my original attempt to make an axe-throwing shaman ended rather ingloriously to a wolf behind the walls of Candlekeep, so I decided to stick with the class I like best. Except, it seems to have a kit now...?

Meet Urgghak Jones, an orc human Dragon Disciple which going by the provided description offers a really tiny set of advantages for a pretty big disadvantage. Still, it should be hard to gently caress up Sorcerer, right? Right?

A bit of explanation should be in order to fully appreciate the idiocy of what I'm doing: I have beaten BG1 once. In 1999. I have had multiple aborted runs that never get much further than the city; on the other hand I have considerably more experience with BG2 but let's face it, chances of getting there are slim. Never played TotSC or (obviously) Dragonspear, have no idea what EE is about. I am fully willing to accept bets on when and where Urgghak inevitably dies.

Anyhow, Candlekeep is a set of mostly pleasant errands slightly marred by the fact I almost got murdered by Shank. Then we get out, plot happens and we timidly start exploring when I remember what happened to my last character. Urgghak hears a howl.

At which point meatshields are sought for with some urgency. While a wizard and a thief do not very good tanks make, Xzar and Montaron take up their daggers and get sent to the frontline simply because Urgghak gives exactly zero fucks about either of them dying. Thus reinforced, the party defeats another wolf and runs the gently caress away from a bear. Map transition; unexpected allies are met.

I could've sworn this guy showed up much later; possible explanations being two: 1] EE moved him, 2] my attitude to the tweakpack ("install whatever sounds cool at the moment, forget immediately afterward") broke the game. That being said, right now I am not going to look a gift bard in the mouth and there's going to be plenty of opportunities for him to have an accident later on.

The Final Fantasy Ogre (because seriously who the gently caress wears two belts) dies thanks to a badly-timed (hence Montaron's health) sleep spell from Urgghak and I decide to stop while I'm ahead although technically I'm ahead only by one screen. Not entirely sure what to do next: my gut tells me to go to FAI to get myself a pair of fighters but the assassin waiting there I recall being a right bastard. Heading south towards Beregost will probably see Urgghak eaten by wildlife within two encounters. Decisions, decisions, ideas?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I forgot to screencap it but Urgghak Jones has survived Tarnesh with party more or less unharmed (because who gives a poo poo about Xzar anyway). Next up, Beregost.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Urgghak Jones made it to Beregost after tactically retreating from Larswood.

So I hadn't managed to screencap it but ended up clearing FAI with negligible losses and negligible benefits; I have no idea whether the ring of wizardry even does anything for Dragon Disciples. Still, after upgrading Urgghak's meatshield retinue with two fighters with suspiciously low Health, we head for Beregost. Except we take a wrong turn into a shithole full of gibberlings and wolves. The Sleep spell gets us through most of this, but some of the wildlife proves decidedly uncooperative.

Further exploitration of the locale is halted upon spotting this:

At which point Urgghak opts for the better part of valor and backpedals out of Larswood immediately. Except there's this one guy. With a bow. Who almost kills Khalid with his opening shot. After he is put to sleep and beaten to death, Urgghak begins to ponder just why the hell does his most of retinue risk getting oneshotted by a goddamn brigand when a goddamn bard - of all things! - stands in the middle of things, sings at people, gets thoroughly ignored and does it all with over 20 health.

I never realized how incredibly smarmy Eldoth looks on the close-up. Anyway, it turns out the fucker is level three when the rest of my party (Jaheira aside) has yet to breach 2. Apparently the tweakpack changed his location but did not adjust his level. Oh well, gift bard and all; guess Urgghak won't be sacrificing him that soon.

We eventually made it to Beregost. From what I remember, there's a pretty tough fight against some sort of a witch there, a house full of spiders and... That's really it? Any sights I shouldn't miss?
Also, is there any point in (later, when sufficient amounts of meatshields have been gathered) exploring the part of Larswood where the bear lurks?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Urgghak Jones has cleared Beregost and High Hedge… for now.

Immediately upon entering Beregost we got in the middle of a magical clusterfuck. Easily resolved and I find myself with a new party member who I'm fairly sure comes from EE:

What could possibly go wrong with a wild mage in the party, right? Right?

UNHOLY gently caress WAS THAT A LIGHTNING BOLT I AM LEVEL ONE FOR CHRISSAKES

Anyhow, the rest of Beregost goes by without much of an issue. There's a dwarf assassin in one of the plentiful pubs in the place who I manage not to screenshot because I'm running for my life while he murders Eldoth (served his purpose, recruited Tiax as a replacement decoy). Garrick briefly joins the party and dies to a giant spider; Urgghak figures getting the world rid of bards one at a time is a Good Deed.

Next we head to High Hedge since some rear end in a top hat lost a sword there and it seems like a short and simple quest. Indeed, the gnolls responsible are located and Neera tries to hit a sleep spell...

Which turns into a Fireball mid-flight; Urgghak got lucky that I was pulling him back from the gnolls' general vicinity at that moment. The rest of High Hedge is just skeletons, more gnolls and wild dogs which should be smooth sailing except it isn't; while I rediscover that skeletons do not, in fact, sleep, one manages to plant a throwing dagger in Neera's forehead. Given the fireball earlier, I am very much disinclined to revive the bitch and decide to press on with slightly less of a menace to society at large for a party. Still, for the somewhat less than triumphant return...

This is what I get for le sword Perdu? A wizard died getting this thing!

Anyhow, I recruit Kagain on account of the fact he's bound to die long before the mixed-alignment party thing becomes and issue and face the decision on where to go next. I vaguely recall the place below High Hedge being pretty drat dangerous, so I'm inclined to head East from Beregost… Hopefully finally getting Urgghak to level 2.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Urgghak Jones has died to Bassilus and his legion of undead..

He did give me enough of a taste for BG to continue his adventures unchronicled, though, so that's it for my ironmanning this year and I'll treat the run as practice for the next.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, you could also try IWD, but from what little I remember about the fights in that game ironman runs would be pretty short.

e: Like, I am not very good at low-level DnD combat (as Urgghak Jones could attest weren't he dead as a doorknob) but IWD had me reloading just about every fight you run into. On the other hand, the fact you get to build your own party might offer more tactical options. Don't know; IWD is the one Infinity series I never felt compelled to go back to.
Personally I find it amazing you even managed to get that far with a single character considering all the 1HKO bullshit BG2 and ToB throws at you.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 21, 2019

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I commend Celeste's consistently proper approach to the Drizzt problem.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
drat, now I'm really tempted to get the IWD EEs on the next Steam sale, despite only remembering the originals were hard as hell.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wow, I had no idea there were special solutions for bards. I mean, it is a joke class...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Wizard Styles posted:

It's a shame the IWD2 source code can't be found anywhere. When it's at its strongest it has some of the best encounter design of the IE games but it could really benefit from an Enhanced Editiion.
It seems to have happened with all the good PC renditions of 3E DnD; Neverwinter Nights 2 is nowhere to be found, IWD2 is lost to the ages, and all we get is the godawful NWN1 and I guess… Temple of Elemental Evil?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Wizard Styles posted:

Wait, was there a NWN2EE planned at some point?
I don't think so, probably used a wrong phrase. But it's recent enough the code shouldn't just get lost...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, Dragon's Eye... It's a pain in the rear end in the original and then they me it even more so in the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Aw hell, death by mindflayer. Gotta happen to a couple people every year. Good to know Shaman is useless without IWDification, though.