Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My computer keeps shutting off when I bump it, even very lightly. I looked at it and reseated all the power cables, and also the ones that go to the power switch but everything looks good. I noticed my video card was slouching a lot so I propped it up with some dominoes. I tried swapping the power cable, and moving it to a new power strip and moving it to a new outlet. The issue is reproducible by gently tipping the case about 5 degrees or even jumping up and down next to it.

I can't get it to power off while it's on my work bench, with just a power cable in it, even if I hit it pretty hard. It's only when all the poo poo is plugged in. So I'm thinking maybe it's the motherboard's USB section? I run 2 sound cards, synthesizer, midi adapter, webcam, keyboard, mouse, and xbox controller off the USB, and I can't always get all the USB ports to work, like some devices just don't work in some ports.

Maybe it's shorting out?

I was thinking about getting a 20 dollar pcie USB expansion card to see if that temporarily mitigates the issue, and then if it does eventually replace the motherboard.

I don't really want to guess and replace a bunch of parts because well, it's a huge pain in the rear end and super expensive if the graphics card needs to go.

NOTE! I had an earlier post in this very forum where my computer would turn off when I stepped on a very specific square foot of my floor. This was confirmed as an electrical short in the house wiring but I live in a new place now so it's unrelated.

Asus Z270F motherboard - i7 7700K
FSP platinum 650W modular - 18 months old
980Ti - 2 years old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Here is a bonus picture of my GPU installation:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

I don't really want to guess and replace a bunch of parts because well, it's a huge pain in the rear end and super expensive if the graphics card needs to go.

I'd just slowly by trial and error add more components back into the case and see when things go awry again.

Plugging in individual USB things one by one.

• Locked thread