Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Banshees of Inishirin - might need a thread because drat that was good, and I want to talk about it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
6 books which weren’t finished by the time the movie came out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Spectre’s washed out colour palette wasn’t great.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I liked the opening but the rest of his score sounded like someone walking down a long empty tunnel banging on the walls with a metal pipe.

That metal sound was everywhere in 90s soundtracks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

The Menu was funny, which is good because the conceit has been done to death, if not as violently. Still prefer Pig.

What are some other takes on it?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The PCC is always a good time too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

John Wick’s world doesn’t feel real to me. It’s just him, like 20 other people, and then everyone else is something below NPC. Nothing makes sense.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I watched half of Nefarious last night, which is actually Christian anti-abortion propaganda, and not a supernatural thriller/horror like the trailer says.

I saw The Pope’s Exorcist tonight (I actually booked my ticket for Nefarious thinking it was this film), and that’s some campy fun, verging almost on Hellsing the anime style shenanigans.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, it’s such a fun film, and the ending is a special treat. It’s very quotable too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Surely you can’t be serious?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Carpet posted:

Suzume - what a fantastic looking film, so many nice little touches with the animation, landscapes, and background details, and the audience I saw it with was well into it. Ended up blind buying Weathering With You on Blu-ray for a fiver after seeing it.

Suzume - a movie in which an oblivious high schooler tries to get in with one half of a college age gay couple.

It really is gorgeous though, and I think I prefer it to Weathering with You. WwY has a very odd ending the protag basically destroys Tokyo, which feels really off putting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Smith’s brother is gay, so he’s definitely trying to push the homophobia as stupid and bad.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, And Her Lover - :stare:
I was really into the absolutely reprehensible and horrible sleazeball dialogue but the moment the last third of the movie hit all the way until the end I was in. It's a slow burn that is grim, tragic, and gruesome, and oh-so-worth-it. Holy poo poo.

Also wow wow WOW the music is good.

I remember seeing this when I was young (thanks, Channel 4!) and it gave me nightmares. It’s incredibly gruesome in some later parts, and in a horribly vivid, nasty way. Very good, would recommend.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nightmare Cinema posted:

The Wicker Man (1973) - Between this thing being written and directed in a way that feels too "Academically British" for the material to the point of rendering this thing a hammy boring slog (the goddamn music too jfc), my plebian modern brain couldn't connect with it. Midsommar renders this movie obsolete.

Wrong.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Carpet posted:

Gran Turismo (Neill Blomkamp, 2023)

Caught a preview screening of this. Well shot, and it sounded good, but the lead character was boring with no personality. It tried to set up a conflict with his father (the only race he attends in person is the last one of the film) just to have an emotional moment at the end. Otherwise a rather formulaic story though I might have appreciated it more if I'd known more about the real life gamer-to-race driver it's based on - they missed off a load of his early races* so it seems like he goes in a few weeks from playing video games in his bedroom to racing at Le Mans, but he did actually finish 3rd at Le Mans in his first race there with fellow GT Academy team mates, and was involved in a crash at Nurburgring which killed a spectator.

Do they mention at all that Jann is actually the third person who came from the GT Academy competition?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Midjack posted:

I bounced off it really hard the first time I saw it but a few years later I appreciated it more. It felt really stylish but really empty the first time around.

Same, I think it’s an oddly paced film, so the ending comes faster than you realise. The spider-tank fight doesn’t read as the climax, so the scene after it feels like a lead in to the next plot beat, and then suddenly the credits are rolling and :confused:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Ghost in the Shell is a great-looking and very important film with a lot of big concepts introduced and explored that has also to me been outshone in almost every way since. I respect it for how it laid the groundwork and inspired tons of people (and I think it's extremely cool that Siskel & Ebert reviewed it positively when it played in US theaters) but the pacing is too odd for me to want to revisit it.

I think it works a lot better on a repeat viewing as you take the foreknowledge of the different parts of the movie and where they would fit into a traditional story framework.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ghostbusters 2 lucked out by getting both RUN DMC and Bobby Brown to do legit good tracks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hilariously, Dark City was also filmed in Sydney, and the Matrix reused some of their sets.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Those scenes in the boat seem like they’re crying out for Crockett’s Theme. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That boat scene needs Crockett’s theme from the tv series playing over it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

live with fruit posted:

The point is definitely for Napoleon to stand out in a bad way.

It's also a movie that has a "Succulent Chinese Meal" reference.

I'm not going to see the film, explain!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ve meant to watch Steins Gate for years. Time travel anime sounds right up my street.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Philthy posted:

I wish they'd make more of those types of comedies. Just minute after minute of endless gags and spoofs.

Check out Angie TriBeCa if you haven’t.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Josie and the Pussycats is a surprisingly top tier film. Really good, tight writing, great cast who are all having an immense amount of fun, and some truly good and catchy songs. Plus it’s anti-consumerism/anti-capitalist as hell!

If you can, watching with the commentary is also a fun time as the film was seemingly made on pennies scraped together from under the sofa.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

distortion park posted:

Will have to check the commentary out, thanks. It looks really weird, every scene is like mid tier tv drama level quality sets and effects, but they just have so many of them and they are all so big

You’ll learn which of the sets is barely painted wooden boards assembled on 30 mins notice! :eng101:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Poor Things - didn’t know what to expect, other than being told it was very good, and an askew take on Frankenstein (kind of sort of), but it absolutely blew me away. Incredibly well acted, a story that went everywhere, but nowhere guessable, and just gorgeous from top to bottom.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Meaty Ore posted:

Watched The Italian Job (1969) with my wife, and we both loved it. Light entertainment, brisk and witty, and knows not to take itself at all seriously. The chase/escape scene in the MInis isn't visually impressive, certainly not by modern standards, but is fun nonetheless. Leaving the one cop stranded on top of the airport terminal or whatever building it was was just :discourse: Noel Coward was wonderful, maybe my favorite performance in the movie.

The Torino Palavela! An indoor arena for all kinds of sports! Also, the rooftop racetrack they go round at one point is the Fiat factory!

The Italian Job is such a fun film, and never a bad time. :3:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

All of Us Strangers

Very sad and gay. Probably the quietest film I’ve seen in a long time, the ambient soundtrack filling the melancholy silences. Essentially it’s a ghost story, but there’s no horror other than the loneliness of life. It quietly reveals its minimal story through conversations, but every so often there’s a line that comes like a knife to the stomach, or brings a tear to the eye.

The absolutely tiny cast gives this the feel of a play, and for a film set in and around London, you only see familiar buildings off in a far away skyline which adds to that. There’s really only a couple of bits of actual location shooting, but it gives the film a very isolated feeling. Having been to the bits of London Docklands that it’s supposedly set in, that’s not surprising. They often have the feeling of being right at the edge of a video game map where detail isn’t so high, and this square box building doesn’t need to stand up to scrutiny.

It feels vague, but also intentionally so, and that’s ok.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 30, 2024

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DUNC - Finally got to see it, as I’ve been patiently waiting for a cinema rerelease. It’s alright, I like all the future designs, when they try.

Everyone acts so weirdly stilted though. Javier Bardem says his lines really quickly, like he’s getting them out before he forgets them. I don’t know if it was just my cinema, but the music was incredibly loud, and a ton of the dialogue was quietly whispered or just lost in the mix.

I definitely needed to see this in a cinema though. If i’d watched this at home, I’d have got maybe half an hour in or so, and then wandered off. Probably never to return.

6/10

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

also vicky krieps was at my coffee shop here in LA yesterday

Did she need the notepad to take your order?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My overriding memory of Skinamarink was when the credits started to roll and this one guy was SO ANGRY about it all, like the film had conned him out of money or something.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Everyone was desperate for Incredibles 2 for years, until we actually got it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It Follows

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Civil War seems like it's being hosed by the marketing. That said I still have zero faith in Garland as writer or director.

I think for Civil War, with the US currently in the state it’s in, there’s a general feeling of ‘is this a story you want to see right now at this point in time?’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Then you’re likely right, the marketing is not bringing across the actual story at all.