Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Jenny Agutter posted:

I stumbled across Split Second (1992) on amazon and saw it had Rutger Hauer so I had to watch it. In the first five minutes he lights a cigar with a torch, wears tiny round sunglasses at night and attempts to interrogate a dog. I was hooked when the police captain chews Hauer out while dropping like 50 fucks but the movie really hits it's stride when an encounter with the mysterious killer turns hauers nebbish serial killer psychologist partner into a copy of hauers insane paranoid gun obsessed slovenly character over the course of one scene. Excellent good bad movie

Hauer really lays it on thick in this movie and it's half the reason to watch. still looking for that blu ray release to not be $30 but alas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Thor 4 was just ok. MCU Phase 4 most mid, except Dr. Strange 2 and that was mostly Raimi's doing. Funny but forgettable. Christian Bale was the best thing about it and he's barely in the drat thing.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Jurassic World : Dominion. A movie that dares to ask the question "does anything matter?" And answer it with a resounding "nope"

It's main sins? Squandering any good will I had from the previous Pratt centric flick, burying any chance of good performances from the legacy JP cast and just generally being more of a Kaiju movie (and a mediocre one at that).

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

PERMACAV 50 posted:

The little one-screen theater downtown was showing The Terminator tonight so I finally saw that for the first time.

Remember when they Made Movies? God drat.

Cameron was on God mode from day one, watched Aliens for the millionth time and it just rips from the get go

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

I'm as shocked as anyone that League of Superpets was a decent film. A lot of heavy lifting by the voice cast (not Kevin Hart or The Rock but Marc Maron, Kate McKinnon and Keanu as Batman). Lots of goofy Easter Eggs for DC nerds and the new Green Lantern lady was cool and I would watch a whole movie with her in it.

Almost as shocking was that Paws of Fury Legend of Hank was decent. Yes it's Blazing Saddles but with Samurai and made for kids and somehow it works

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Nope.

More like Yup. It's got all the Spielberg/Shamalyan bits and more, a gory allegory about Hollywood and how it treats those who seem to exist just for spectacle, but it's also a spectacle in and of itself. Michael Wincott is back with a vengeance and looking his age but sounding just like he did 20+ years ago in The Crow. Stephen Yeun rules in his small but memorable role. Keke Palmer steals the show in some of the later scenes and just.. wow what a film!

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

ELVIS is everything I had ever wished for from Baz Luhrman doing a biopic. Just utterly bonkers, mixing truth and fiction, reality and hearsay - throwing every visual trick and tool at the wall and it mostly sticks. Really shocked it was as good as it was.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Emily the Criminal - Aubrey Plaza steals the show (and practically everything else) in a millennial crime drama that's totes relatable. A real good time

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

We Are All Going to the World's Fair : A very modern mood piece about the power of the internet to simultaneously soothe and distract and terrify. A mashup of found footage and documentary styles, perspective shifts and just outright weird things happening keep you wondering from scene to scene just what's coming next. I liked it very much

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

The Munsters : Rob Zombie directs three pretty good horror flicks, two Halloween remakes and then there's this - a direct-to-streaming remake of the 1960s tv series' origin story. the "jokes" as they are just don't land, the editing could have been way tighter (there's truck-sized pauses between lines like they made it for the MST3k crew on purpose) and i can't bring myself to finish it.

not sure who it was made for, but the only saving grace is the guy who played the Night King in Game of Thrones doing his best Vincent Price impression as Dr. Wolfgang and - Hurley from LOST - Jorge Garcia as ... ugh.. Floop.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Mama : for a mid tier spooky thriller with some egregious jump scares, it was pretty good. Goth Jessica Chastain sells the whole deal. Somehow Guillermo del Toro put his name on it as a producer

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Fate Accomplice posted:

how did I go 25 years after its release before seeing The Edge?

poo poo's amazing.

Yeah somehow that movie fell between the cracks for most people. Mamet was on a tear - Glengarry Glen Ross, Hoffa, Oleanna, American Buffalo, The Edge, The Spanish Prisoner, Wag The Dog, Ronin...

How, I don't know, because boy Hopkins and Baldwin just feast on the scenery like it's a competition

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

OLD : the Beach What Makes You Old

For as much as people dunk on the movie, it's pretty good. One super gross moment when the one kid gets another one pregnant when they're technically 6 years old and then their baby dies so if you're squeamish about that or some pg-13 style violence, maybe avoid.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Barbarian : some real great grimy horror, a few really great transitions between comedy and horror and there really is no predicting how it's going to end. "can't have poo poo in Detroit" the movie

Don't Worry Darling : A visual feast framing an OK plot, it really works to draw you in and it's effective even though the 3rd act is a bit hack. Florence P sells the whole thing

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 3, 2022

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Weird : The Al Yankovich Story is pretty close to what he would do with a Walk The Line / Walk Hard style flick and for that I'm thankful. Radcliffe is clearly having a blast, Evan Rachel Wood plays a mean Madonna and the plot goes off the rails in the best way. Funny even if you don't care about his music.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Glass : M Night takes what should have been a slam dunk and just kinda dribbles around for a bit. McAvoy's performance is more subdued than in Split, Jackson's Mister Glass is great but I felt like Bruce Willis just kinda sleepwalked through this one. Sarah Paulson is in the movie, not given much to do. Ana Taylor-Joy has a better arc and less screen time, so the math doesn't work on that one. A mess. Could have been way more interesting but falls short.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

The Man Who Fell to Earth I saw Moonage Daydream a week ago and figured I should give Bowie's Movie work a shot. Glad I did, this movie is absolutely gorgeous. And Bowie's inhuman mannerisms and demeanor lead itself really well into the fish out of water alien experience of the ravages of American culture. I don't even hate or dislike the bad guys in here, I just feel pity for everyone.

I also love a clever title so the misdirect with you thinking it's Fell as in him Falling to earth physically and instead being him Falling as a state of being is cool

The original Walter Tevis novel is pretty good, so as a young fan of that book I didn't like the movie. I guess I should give it another shot.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Black Adam. I like the Rock, I'm getting more into the DCEU than before but I still felt that the Justice Society had better casting, performances and characters. Shame they get sidelined every few minutes so The Rock can be a badass. I would love a standalone Dr. Fate movie as this handled him very well

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Smile a clever mashup of three better movies (It Follows, The Ring, Fallen) that literally ends with "trauma is the monster oowooo" . A decent enough thriller/horror flick but not "teh scurriest movie evar!!1" like people were saying when it came out. Points off for having the main character kill her own cat.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Avatar 2 : The Way of Water: what a picture! Three unrelenting hours of a cross between a nature documentary of a place that doesn't exist and a big time action sequel. The second half is when stuff starts getting exciting and it doesn't let up for the rest of the film. Cameron at his best

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Surviving Christmas: for some reason Ben Affleck and James Gandolfini and Catherine O'Hara and Christina Applegate weren't box office gold but it was nice, if harmless

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

LLSix posted:

Knives Out (the 2019 movie)
I just saw this and it was so much better than I expected. It's a murder mystery so I don't want to say too much, but the ending absolutely delivers. It's good enough to make me forgive Daniel Craig's so-called "Southern" accent.

The foreshadowing with the knives is just so, so, so good. I'm not sure how much is usually revealed and I don't want to give anything away so I won't say anything else.

there's even a throwaway line about one character not being able to tell a real knife from a prop, setting that up in the first few minutes. classic.

Caught Glass Onion just now and ... it's not quite on the same level, but a fun romp nonetheless. Love Edward Norton and Kate Hudson and Dave Bautista bouncing off each other. Janelle Monae steals the show just like she did on Homecoming's 2nd season. Hoping to see her getting more leading roles after this

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Strange World : a movie about Fathers that is also a gorgeous film and a creaky metaphor for environmental science. Loved it

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

Life is Beautiful - Posted about this in genchat but suffice to say I have mixed feelings about setting a schmaltzy feelgood comedy at a concentration camp. 4/10

I still want to see The Day The Clown Cried because it feels very much apiece with this. I loved Life is Beautiful because how else can you deal with real horror but by laughing

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Vacation Friends: a little goofy comedy was the perfect tonic. Cena continues to be the best at himbo acting

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

M3gan: manages to walk a really fine line where it’s goofy and wild and darkly funny but also still kinda tense. The cinema is alive and well.

Saw this yesterday. Agree, funnier than you think but also way more interesting than the campy trailer would have you believe. Can't believe they managed the tightrope act

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Tar : a 2.5 hour character study of how someone will destroy themselves and still think they're the hero. Cate Blanchette rules.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Basic Instinct
Somehow this is the last Verhoeven film I haven't seen. I even watched Showgirls a year or two ago. I knew about this shot of course but otherwise had no idea what it was even about

Turns out the movie is loving great, as is the loving, of which there is a lot. I know it's a Verhoeven film but still. I think what mostly surpised me is just how good of a neo-noir flick it is, you've got your washed up detective, femme fatale, car following scenes, just way hornier. Pretty good mystery too. Was the ending supposed to be ambiguous or an implication that Catherine actually did kill everyone and set Beth up?

Your spoiler is the one and only answer. If you like hornier neo-noir flicks, the 90s was a good time for them - The Color of Night, Jade, Body of Evidence, Bound

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Carpet posted:

First up was Perfect Blue (1997) - I think there was about five different fake outs in this movie, ranging from 'it was a dream', to 'you're actually watching a scene from an in-film TV show'. And in the end, there were three different characters having psychotic breaks - I enjoyed it, and didn't see the end coming. The film looked amazing, the establishing shots were so beautiful and melancholy. (Oh, and the scenes where Mena was setting up her Macintosh for the internet and painstakingly typing in h t t p : / / got some laughs.)

Satoshi Kon absolutely rules. If you haven't, see Millennium Actress - the number of fakeouts are significantly higher and it's a beautiful film.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Happiness. What the absolute poo poo is happening here? If nothing else it's a good double feature for Blue Velvet in terms of the grimy underside of everyday life. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is perfect, the pedo plot is painful to watch. A land of contrasts. Can't tell if I actually liked the movie because I was on edge most of the runtime.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Super Mario Bros was a blast. silly and endlessly self-referencing but never in a way that was too awful or weird. loved the soundtrack, minus the 80s needle drops - Koji Kando made some bangers and they're ALL over the movie. The powerups, the world, the characters - it was all good. Even didn't mind Chris Pratt doing his faux Brooklyn accent. Kinda weird that they had Charles Martinet in the movie but he wasn't Mario but was Mario's dad. TONS of NES references and sight-gags in the background that beg for a re-watch, i'm sure I missed most of them. Charlie Day, Anya Taylor Joy and Jack Black were the best parts of it and I even liked the Lumo from Galaxy who was saying super dark stuff but in a cute voice. A love letter to old games and it really works as a classic adventure movie.

there were 2 shots in particular that made me laugh the hardest, because they seemed to be directly ripped from Evangelion.

A knockout. Loved it.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Cheesus posted:

Super Mario Bros is an A movie.

The soundtrack is wretched. As a Gen-Xer, not only were those dated, targeting-my-genration songs nonsensical in context, they collectively lowered the movie a full letter grade.

Seriously hoping for an edit to excise them.

Yeah considering just how much actual Mario music exists that could be really fun to include, the fact that they chose 80s hits is still baffling to me

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

The Black Phone was a solid thriller with some good twists and I really enjoyed Ethan Hawke in this. Better than average kid performers too.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Tommy Boy : granted this is a rewatch but I'm struck by just how many of Farley's jokes are about him being an oaf and how many of Spade's jokes are about Farley's weight. Spade's character is the perfect uptight Type A personality for the more free spirited Farley, who basically plays Bluto from Animal House. But at the same time there's still this real Goofy charm, like Dan Akyrod doing his best Chicago accent, Rob Lowe as the handsome but also stupid bad guy, Bo Derrick who is in this movie for really one joke that references "10" and then not given much to do, Brian Dennehy who sells the loveable Small Businessman and Good Dad so well it makes you root for Callaghan Auto after he passes. It's a solid 3/5 even 20+ years later which a lot of 90s comedies don't come close to

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, if I were to go based on politics, it's my favorite movie I've seen in quite a while. Been a decade since I saw a movie argue that property destruction is acceptable to save the environment and I hope it's not another decade to the next one.

First Reformed almost does something similar but I thought it didn't go far enough

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Nightmare Cinema posted:

That movie isn't so much about ecoterrorism as it is man vs. religion, so it works fine as just the saison.

Which is why I wish the priest had blown up the oil executive at the end

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Across the Spider Verse shreds the competition and reminds you that the Miller/Lord combo is a gold mine. The only thing that bugged me was the lack of a solid ending. But it did make me hyped as hell for the third one

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Carillon posted:

Yes holy poo poo is it good! They actually use the medium of animation to tell the story, it's not just a movie that happens to be animated. That first fight scene with the Michelangelo Vulture is just perfect. I was legit worried the rest of the movie wasn't going to be able to live up to that first segment, and was happy it totally did! It's not afraid to take some pretty insane risks, but the emotional beats are all grounded in the characters. I might see this again in theaters, and I don't know if I've ever felt that way before.

Spider Punk being literally copy/pasted and looking like a lovely zine was great detail as was the Davinci Vulture. What is so baffling is that they're clearly animation, you're looking right at it, but in the context of the film you just go with it. Yeah, he looks like that because he's from the Renaissance, you never stop to think about it because it just works, despite being insane as a design choice

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Mom and Dad : a gory horror comedy about parents killing their children that has a lovely but short Lance Renrickson cameo, stars a wonderful unhinged Nicholas Cage and is just shy of 90 minutes. Not a lot of fat on this thing, just a solid flick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Freaky : another slasher hybrid from the guys who made Happy Death Day, this one a Freaky Friday via Friday the 13th and it's great. Vince Vaughan delivers the goods as the teen girl in a man's body, which is a weird sentence to type in 2023 but alas.