Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Zero day poo poo posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

One of my coworkers thought that password salting was doing things like p4$$w0rD 5@L+inG

If I ever caught a coworker not using a salt and hash with bcrypt I would be so loving upset. Every modern language has a canned library to do that in usually one or two lines.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

He wasn't rolling his own or anything, just misinformed on technical details

That means he can't be arsed to Google for 10 seconds. Guillotine

Cocoa Crispies posted:

like, how would you even do that lmao

How would you even do what? Salt, hash and crypt a password in 2 lines?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

At least make it a haiku.

I don't think you trust
My self-signed certificate
The key looks nice though

Haikus have to be about the seasons. :colbert:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

haveblue posted:

three winters from now
fallen leaves under snow and
your cert expires

Beautiful!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Apparently they don’t even hash/salt the PIN numbers.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I ran sonarqube against our companies main product. there are 10 hardcoded username and passwords in our source code. Thanks, junior India developers! I had to drop everything I was doing to write a report and send it to the CFO.

Luckily most of those were for demo purposes, but 4 of them were from production. But hey! We have TLS 1.3 support! It's like having a foot thick steel door next to an open window!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

My friends want me to play apex with them which requires an EA account. An EA account password cannot be longer than 16 characters. I found this thread:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/EA-General-Questions/Why-limit-max-password-to-16/m-p/5803599

Barry, an EA community manager, helpfully explains internet security basics:

But but but, if they are hashing and salting their passwords, then they should all be the same length in the database????

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
my company issues a 1Password account to everybody. :smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I really can't gage the correct spelling of gauge, or is it gage? Someone, please help me gauge this!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
UGGGGGHHHHH Amazon and it’s third party security auditing service.

Them: “This device must have full disk encryption.”

Us: “It’s in a locked box, no root user, a signed bootloader, custom SELinux contexts, and a TPM for update keys, we don’t have the man power to ssh into every device and unlock the disk in the event of a power outage.”

Them: “No, this won’t pass without full disk encryption.”

Us: “What if we auto-unlock the device on boot up?”

Them: “That will work.”

Thanks checkbox checking guy for the security theater!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

that's what tpm is for, surely?

No. If you can power on the device, and the device unlocks itself on boot, the TPM is useless.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

useless for a full physical compromise. it would allow partial compromises (e.g. stolen drive) to be mitigated

define your threat models

The threat model is "Somebody walking away with the box and putting malware on it."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ok, let me be more clear:

If you can power on the device, and the device unlocks itself on boot, the key stored in the TPM for encryption is useless.

The TPM also stores the update binary key, which is still useful.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ErIog posted:

I have a secfuck question where I'm looking in the mirror and wondering if the secfuck is me.

I'm getting some poo poo from an auditor about libxml2. They had brought it up previously, and I was able to respond to it with "lol, noob, learn how the gently caress package versions work on RHEL, none of these CVE's apply."

It has been brought up again, but this time I'm not so sure I can reply with that same response because there's actually a bunch of low/medium CVE's listed for libxml2 in the RHEL CVE database with the status "Won't Fix" or "May be fixed in the future :iiam:" even for RHEL7.

What are Wizard Security Professionals doing for this case? libxml2 seems like a package that would be installed quite a lot.

Grab the source RPM and rebuild it with a newer libxml2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Midjack posted:

motherfuckers act like they forgot about jre