Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

CmdrRiker posted:

https://twitter.com/alexeheath/status/1090662132600000513

Facebook phone coming soon? Bargaining chip for Apple?

I hate Apple as well, but gently caress this guy's narrative.

"a policy violation"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

we use some automated service that sends out phishing tests every couple of weeks. apparently nobody has clicked on one in months, so i guess beating people over the head with it is the way to go.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

i wish facebook the best of luck in fixing the problem that people are pretty poo poo and probably shouldn't be allowed to communicate ever

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

enough people complained about the misaligned buttons that they just said well you loving fix it if you're so smart

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Office depot got nailed for tricking customers into buying magic antivirus software to the tune of $35 million

lol

exhibit A:

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/172-3023/office-depot-inc

Malware detected, for example, the application showing you this message.

They're not technically wrong I guess

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Krankenstyle posted:

I like the inappropriate question marks, reads like annoying interrogative tone you know???

it just makes it sound like they're really confused

we don't want to invoice you for wasting our time? i thought we did!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

jit bull transpile posted:

"biological sex" is also basically a social construct that doesn't account for a wide range of ways humans can be born other than xy-man or xx-woman.

Binary sex might be, but variation doesn't make the scientific concept of how biological sex and DNA relate simply cease to exist. "Social construct" is a perfect way to describe gender but I'm not sure it's a great way to describe something with a scientific basis and natural variance.

A scientific construct, perhaps

Chalks fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 4, 2019

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

you would have thought that an agent tasked with analysing a usb device of a foreign agent would be doing something more sophisticated than just plugging it into windows 10 and seeing what happened.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

why would you use a stolen car for doing crimes, wouldn't you get immediately flagged whenever anyone ran the plates? or are they just trying to do crimes before the cars are reported stolen?

it's not a terribly smart idea to use a getaway vehicle that's registered to you

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Why can't someone who is just like me and agrees with all of my ideas just censor the internet? :mad:

yeah, who would have thought it would be this hard to force random corporations obey my exact censorship demands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

spankmeister posted:

It's obviously not about their DNS not blocking sites or whatever. It's about their choice in clients for their paid ddos protection services. They have taken, and take money from sites like stormfront, 8chan, the daily stormer, etc and protect(ed) their internet presence. When called out on this they claim there just infrastructure and are not about censorship.

In my opinion, when you're protecting sites it's not about censorship, it's about what kind of clientele you decide to actively protect.

Cloudflare has excellent service, I just don't think that they as a company deserve anyone's patronage. I will mention this whenever someone asks about cloudflare. Do with this information what you will.

well, you can say it's not about censorship, but the protection that cloudflare provides allows these sites to exist. that's why cloudflare working with them is significant.

i don't disagree that it'd be great if sites like that went away, but i don't think you should want a random corporation to start playing morality police in this way. their opinions of what sites should and should not exist won't always match up with your own.