Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

*fat person steps in view of the ring doorbell*

VEHICLE DETECTED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I’m still wondering if amazon plans to buy nextdoor and packaged it with their ring doorbell poo poo cause if you looked at the posts on nextdoor you’d think they’ve already partnered with them

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shame Boy posted:

i love it when people who haven't posted in a thread ever suddenly show up to defend the honor and dignity of random internet dudes in the face of slanderous lies from BITCHES :argh:

no kidding, it’s not just here either, its loving everywhere online

it’s like an alarm goes off and every idiot has to pile in to defend the status quo

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

quote:

I also work in a female dominated industry and it took me awhile to notice how sexist a lot of the men are. I started picking up on it with incidents like a co-worker (female) explaining to a consultant (male) that the idea they have, isn't going to work. The consultant just kept pushing it via email for around a month, until I jumped in and said the same thing as her. Then all of the sudden he magically understood.

I bet gbs would love to hear your stories about this

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol @ hearing the words "social justice warrior" and attaching a negative valence

what does that make you, big boy? the warrior ... against? justice?

it makes me a big and important burly manly man with a tough outer skin!!!

*posts hundreds of tweets about how I’m never buying Gillette again due to a commercial that says “be nice to women”*

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

lol remember when the web was going to be the future of applications?

yep that seemed to come true and tbh it’s achieved a much higher cross platform adoption rate then literally any other gui library

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

except is hasn't since every application of worth is native and simply disabling those apps caused such a massive headache to facebook despite their massive investment in web "apps"

yeah well guess what you’re posting in a web app and you must like it since you post so much

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

VikingofRock posted:

This is a cool article about different ways to fool answer validation in automated CS assignment grading: Smart like a fox: How clever students trick dumb automated programming assignment assessment systems.

There are a lot of fun techniques in there, but my favorite is that this code will result in a perfect grade on every assignment for the software tested:

Java code:
System.out.println("Grade :=>> 100");
System.exit(0);

funny story about my cs classes: i used to have a professor who insisted that students print out their code and turn it in instead of using the school's tool for digitally turning in stuff. my final project ended up being 20+ pages printed back and front

rumor was that he had stock in hp and all the school printers got their supplies from them

my thinking is he was looking for students doing this poo poo and was just good at working out execution paths in his head

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

evil_bunnY posted:

it’s not just the connectivity. The network effects are obviously important but one of the real killers IMO is the complete lack of civil infrastructure/amenities.
No one making figgies in a midsize/large city is moving to a shithole with one chain restaurant, horrible schools with bullshit commutes and zero cultural activity.

yep, this is exactly why my hometown started really building up recently: many businesses were completely passing them up because the infrastructure/amenities were just complete poo poo. so now they threw in a transit center (first one in I think the entire state lmao) and encouraged a bunch of chain restaurants and hotels to build up there

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

univbee posted:

the hacking software getting on my pc was definitely my fuckup, i was trying to get a clean version of a drmed video i owned from a really niche digital distributor that's shutting down. what i installed to attempt to circumvent it had the payload inside, and slipped past mse (i was running windows 7, although after the scare i reinstalled to the latest windows 10)

but it made me think how it easily could have been a browser payload or found some way of getting on innocuously

i didn't even know what happened until i checked my screen recording video and scrubbed around to see why my browser window was now suddenly open, seeing them enter my 1password successfully was quite scary

i'm lucky that i had an exact play-by-play of what they did on my pc so i knew who i had to reach out to

lol you fell for the video codec gambit

still lovely that happened to you though. i wonder if video evidence would help get those steam purchases reimbursed faster

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

CmdrRiker posted:

Wow, that was a few days ago. I hope they addressed it by now.

https://twitter.com/RespawnJobs/status/1096090384239714305

lol

guess the new hire just learned a few valuable security lessons rofl

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

do you nerds actually read the stuff in your spam folder?

related to that, i dunno if this is true but i feel like i just don't get a lot of spam email anymore. my serious business personal account has like 11 in it that haven't been auto-deleted yet, and half of them rn are from local oil change places that i actually did give my email to

e: what the hell is "sleigh"? the ghidra thing says it is a million+ lines of "java and sleigh code"

idk sometimes I read it cause I’m curious what spam looks like now

i contributed to the Democrats in the last election so now its chock full of scary trump news

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Kuvo posted:

i sometimes get imposer syndrome at work but reading stories like this make me feel better :unsmith:

yeah that’s a pretty dumb move to include the credentials in plaintext in the app and not authenticate a public api but we’re talking conservatives here, so it might be dumber than industry standard dumb

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shame Boy posted:

well he did also say he'd be running the forums until it kills him so i guess we'll see

lol yeah it sounds like it might be soon

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i thought teslas set themselves on fire to avoid this data loss problem

they also veer the car into trucks as a brave new strategy where the user will never have to worry about their data being stolen cause they’ll be dead

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

my bitter bi rival posted:

i definitely want to be approached by someone in a public space in los angeles or san francisco. this probably won’t be a tedious interaction with a nutjob crying sadbrain marxist, guy from calpirg telling me to buy organic and save the planet, free sample of the ramayana or whatever only it’s just a sample it really costs 30 dollars, wants my pocket change to get beack to berkeley because he or she can’t walk the mile from the asby bart back to downtown berkeley. this person probalby doesn’t smell like a garbage pail. this person probably isn’t going to stab me, rifle through my pockets, and take my crumpled up tea bag from trader joe’s brand tea and a couple quarters. this person isn’t probably going to interupt my few blessed seconds on silence away from the constant onslaught of abject, depressing stupidity which is constantly beamed at and solely directed at me by a malicious, malevolent god and his obese, perverse, and sadistic minions (other people). this complete stranger approaching me in a public space in the cities of los angeles or san francisco will probably lead to a life long friendship.

man I bet you’re fun at parties

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
hi yeah I’ll have a Big Mac meal and a mcchicken also i definitely want to be approached by someone in a public space in los angeles or san francisco. this probably won’t be a tedious interaction with a nutjob crying sadbrain marxist, guy from calpirg telling me to buy organic and save the planet, free sample of the ramayana or whatever only it’s just a sample it really costs 30 dollars, wants my pocket change to get beack to berkeley because he or she can’t walk the mile from the asby bart back to downtown berkeley. this person probalby doesn’t smell like a garbage pail. this person probably isn’t going to stab me, rifle through my pockets, and take my crumpled up tea bag from trader joe’s brand tea and a couple quarters. this person isn’t probably going to interupt my few blessed seconds on silence away from the constant onslaught of abject, depressing stupidity which is constantly beamed at and solely directed at me by a malicious, malevolent god and his obese, perverse, and sadistic minions (other people). this complete stranger approaching me in a public space in the cities of los angeles or san francisco will probably lead to a life long friendship. anyway what do you want for lunch

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
i thought ego phishing was trying to get someone's personal information by insulting their intelligence

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shame Boy posted:

lol what kind of idiot would think this, huh? i bet the kind of person who lives in a dumb stupid city and has a stupid birth day and their social security number is the one they only assign to losers, and I bet you can't prove any of this wrong :smug:

you bet on the wrong horse!!! *faxes you all my information*

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

~Coxy posted:

huh, turns out Skyfall was realistic

autorun still works on modern Windows PCs? :stare:

like that part sounds a bit sketchy to me. I thought having software run after you pop in removable media was disabled in windows a long time ago

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 9, 2019

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Celexi posted:

I think windows nwo asks you if you want to autorun or open

lol so basically their agents just clicked autorun without thinking? yikes

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shame Boy posted:

why would you use a stolen car for doing crimes, wouldn't you get immediately flagged whenever anyone ran the plates? or are they just trying to do crimes before the cars are reported stolen?

looks at this guy, smoking crack and barfing in his own car like a scrub smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Proteus Jones posted:

Looks like v18 thread about ready for release based on the last few pages.