Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
hi thread, I’m posting this from an unpatched windows xp box with all default ports open because I figure nobody’s going to bother trying to hack those any more, it’s security by reverse psychology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
I’m hoping a state actor gets there first and patches all the vulns including any 0 days they’re still holding onto. may as well get some value from my taxes even if it means they use me to hack other people or w/e

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

LastInLine posted:

you know theres someone else out there for whom it said toyota chevy ford and aston martin and that guy had the same reaction as you

well duh, who in their right mind would buy a ford, chevy, or aston martin

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Jimmy Carter posted:

I'm not aware of any Mac AV that's anything other than snake oil which causes kernel panics. Maybe get yourself a Little Snitch license if you want to increase your paranoia. Install software updates, don't disable SIP and that's about it.

people would be less inclined to disable sip if apple let you remove their useless shovelware like chess and stocks in any other way

(idc how small it is, it prevents me having a nicely organised applications folder and that’s unforgivable)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Celexi posted:

No threat model, no security bug. This is your last warning.

:nsavince:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Shaggar posted:

s4b and teams aren't spammed up.

skype for business is terrible though

secfuck content: they switched us to sfb for our corporate im and everyone hated it so much that now there’s effectively no standard and people just use whatever app they like. but special credit goes to the team that decided using a public app for work stuff would be too insecure, so they set up their own lovely internal webapp chat server thing ... over http

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

that’s the last time aaa tries to give granos a tow

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that seems to have actually happened on desktops

when was the last time you saw a fat client for an lob app

all the actually useful prgrams i rely on to do worthwhile things are proper desktop apps (although a bunch of them are like java or w/e instead of strictly native)

95% of the horrible corporate poo poo everyone hates and constantly complains about is webapps (the other 5% is poo poo like loving skype for business)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

salted hash browns posted:

dissidents in PRC who use iMessage believing they are private

if your plan for plotting against a totalitarian police state starts with "use a chat program that openly and deliberately prioritises convenience over security", then you have bigger problems than icloud backups

like, iMessages by default falls back on unencrypted sms if the person you’re chatting with has a poor signal or a non-apple phone. that’s a harmless and well-intentioned feature that by itself makes the app completely unsuitable for dissidents.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Mr.Radar posted:

lmao, the federal government has awarded a contract to develop a replacement for the DoD's "CAC card" (their ID card with a smart card chip used for authentication on secure computer networks) to... an AI startup. i'm sure this is not be another huge waste of money that will cause endless headaches for the people who have to use it if it ever goes live :rolleyes:

could have been worse, could have been blockchain

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

luckily we now have std::regex

don’t worry, it’s treatable, but you should see your doctor asap

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
I always preferred the nod print path

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

mystes posted:

You might be the only person who has ever said this. Also there might be libraries for using it that don't require windows and don't completely suck now, but that wasn't the case when the format was first created.

there have been decent libs for xlsx for ages now. then again there were already decent libs for xls. don’t ask me how I know I’ve nearly stopped having flashbacks

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

~Coxy posted:

wouldn't say they're decent

you can create a spreadsheet and insert cell values, but good luck doing anything complicated

better than COM though.

if you want to do something complicated then you should be doing it in the real programming language you’re clearly already using.

excel libraries are for input and output where customers really want to use excel, or where you really just want csv but you know it will only ever be loaded into excel and you want to avoid all the pitfalls of csv imports

for these purposes, the existing libraries are surprisingly good

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

no more than any other intel agency, really it'd be cheaper than tapping points and filtering traffic down to interesting targets if they'll pay you to do it themselves

the difficulty there is persuading the interesting targets to use the vpn you own. I doubt the nsa actually has much interest in people who just want to block ads or bypass geographic blocks or w/e, and the russian government and isis probably run their own vpns

people in like iran or china wanting to use a vpn to bypass govt censorship may be at risk from this kind of attack tho

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Important news: Ghidra has undo.

ida pro is dead

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
it looks pretty solid so far, haven't tried anything complicated yet but the decompiler seems to work and it has loving undo and the structure editor isn't a monospaced text monstrosity like something out of the 1970s, and all these things are very promising. it even looks fine allowing for the fact that it's a swing gui with a bazillion toolbars, although maybe i've just been trained by ida to expect all reverse engineering tools to look like rear end.

on the downside the control-flow graph stuff doesn't seem to be as well integrated as ida's graph views, and i'm not sure i like the layout algorithm (there's a dropdown for changing this but it only has one option in it, maybe all the good layout algorithms were redacted?)

anyway it seems pretty cool and i can't argue with the price, thank you americans for paying for this with your tax dollars and thank you nsa for making something other than mind control satellites

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

keep rear end is good poo poo but not something I want to train my parents to use.

have you considered upgrading your parents instead

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

A piece of graph paper, a set of dice, and a personal cypher algorithm for the hand written passwords.

step one: buy an enigma

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
the russians used a post-it

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
I just put my passwords in s text file and check it into github. there’s loads of projects on there, what are the odds anyone malicious will ever find mine

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Volmarias posted:

100% sorry

fortunately i use defence in depth: all my passwords are camouflaged as perl scripts

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Lain Iwakura posted:

these forums have helped me during my darkest times a few years ago; i am alive because of them. there is a lot of trash on here but it's my trash

your posting isn’t that bad buddy

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

the forums would still be serving http-only without him

i feel sorry for the guy at the nsa who had to buy an account to carry on reading my posts

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
hal 2020

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
you haven't known true text editor horror until you've heard a colleague utter the words "enterprise textpad license"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

lmao if you still have the java runtime on your computer

I need it to run a large number of useful java programs, most of which I wrote

it doesn’t have unrestricted permission to talk to the network tho

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

speaking of jre, ghidra got an update today

"turned on font antialiasing by default for linux"
yup this is authentic government code

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

ftfy

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
offer them inbound x11 instead

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Why have persistent storage on a car at all? If the car loses power, wipe everything.

but ... then anyone can reset the mileage by unplugging the battery! there's definitely no solution to this problem, please don't waste your time trying to think of one, elon musk is smarter than you

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
but really who will ever need more than 256gb of key? i mean that's really a lot of key! probably it's ok to start reusing key at that point because any attacker will have given up and gone home after the first 128gb or so.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

i'm gonna fix this entire class of bug with my new crypto-as-a-service startup. no more worrying over whether or not your crypto libraries have unpatched vulnerabilities in them. no more scrabbling around trying to find a trustworthy crypto library in your hipster language of the month. now you just make a simple http request to our web api and our guaranteed-correct implementation returns as many bytes of key stream as you need, computed on the fly in our secure maryland datacenter

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

rjmccall posted:

yeah, you can get information in to the system passively that way, but i don’t why a url would be involved

i believe there are oracle services such that you specify a url and pay them to put the content of the url somewhere the smart contract can access it

this obviously solves none of the actual problems with basing smart contract oracles on urls

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

invite your friends and family to a gender reveal party and it's just a presentation about how gender is a social construct and distinct from biological sex

"sex reveal party" sounds like something rather different

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
forums hacked, 1.5m unencrypted genders for sale on dark web

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

something you have and something you are could be two different factors

:golfclap:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
nonbinary computer

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

pseudorandom posted:

Oh boy, I guess you haven't heard of Plaid yet.

Everyone's bank passwords, all in one convenient place!

lol if your online banking uses a web password, rather than a hardware token like banks in first world countries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
you’re probably too dumb to even post your forums password in this thread