Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

0 day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

hi I'm calling from Microsoft there's a security virus problem on your thread and it's hacking your computer

russians just sprayed vodka on it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

do you guys really have difficulties understanding intel and nvidia model numbers

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

EssOEss posted:

Yes? Quickly, is 2700X better than 9700K? gently caress knows!

I dream of a world where device performance is measured in Universal Work Units or UWUs, so we can have a single metric to compare them against.

this is irrelevant to the argument

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

The numbering systems change between generations so you can have a higher number with lower performance (say 2060RTX vs 1080Ti) or vice versa. Usually Nvidia stays within their 50 60 70 80 system but sometimes they change that too.

well yeah that's a generation thing, 2080 Ti is more powerful than 1080 Ti. generation leaps on nvidia usually are 1 model relative shift, e.g. 2060 is equal to or better than 1070. still, both for nvidia and intel there seldom are reasons to buy previous generation consumer products

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

Now imagine you're a normal person.

you are not buying individual computer parts then.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

debatably, you may not even be aware of what computer parts are there and what they do. mediamart had a discount and the shop clerk was cool? bought.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

that's all ignoring that this purportedly normal person will have some usecase wherein they must be able on the spot to identify the better model and cannot afford to spend 30 seconds on due dilligence googling, and that i was asking about people who regularly post in this thread and not my grandmother who won't be able to tell a difference between a cpu case and a cinderblock

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

except this is very untrue with the price leap in the latest nvidia generations, and the very minor performance gains of the latest intel generations

but, w/e, most people will not be comparison-shopping specific intel cpu's to start with, i'm a huge nerd and even i don't bother keeping much track

guess why i put "seldom" in there, mr. einstein. intel performance gains over last generation, however, are a reasonably stable, known quantity, and its not the problem of the cpus that average consumer cannot make full use of them

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

my dude can you tell the clock + cores from a Xeon model number? I sure as gently caress can’t.

enterprise stuff no, i have no idea about

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Media Bloodbath posted:

Google used to let you match the unique identifiers with your CRM database and use that for tailored ads and other shenanigans. Since this summer (about the time when they rebranded their DoubleClick Suite to Google Marketing Platform and Google As Manager) you can no longer export this to 3rd party tools - the identifier is no longer directly accessible.

if you use the Google Marketing Platform you can upload your CRM database, place triggers all over your website, ads and create custom and look-alike audiences.

A lot of marketeers are extremely stupid, but if you are a bit creative you can easily harvest a shitload of info of potential and existing customers. If you put some work in you can also narrow it down enough to be able to identify individuals.

Facebook is even easier to game. I'm not up to date, but at least 2 years ago it was easy to circumvent their requirement of minimum size of custom audience > 15 by uploading 14 bogus e-mail addresses and the correct one of the person you want to gently caress with. This allowed you to serve this person (and only this one) with your ads. As it was only one person you could easily buy all ad inventory for a pittance.

yikes lmao

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

happy 2019, the year of 2fa on sms. loving mongoloids at paypal, i guess no 2fa user should be allowed to log into your lovely service at any time between like 10pm and 6am on nye

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jit bull transpile posted:

hey maybe don't use ableist slurs?

sure

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

redleader posted:

facebook is pretty well secured by the standards of the internet in 2019. they obviously don't want just anyone walking away with their masses of pii

yeah ill believe all this information was not made available by facebook deliberately when sun rises in the West

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jabor posted:

it's exactly the same reason calling your package manager a racial slur is a bad idea. no-one cares that you got there by shortening "raccoon"

:eyepop:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

are they aware their “conversation” is public

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

is someone trying to ddos the netherlands or somethign? internet seems to be unwell on eu-level for connectivity to some larger CDNs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

also i don't feel it at all, sitting in prime internet real estate
probably some tier 2 isp problem then. its gone now but i was getting some really odd and consistent hitch around noon

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah its like that around the uk as well

someone tried to update something and a domino effect's happened

i was getting similar stories sweden too today

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

so same ones who learned you could just print over the internet and decided to do that a month or two back?

same campaign, yes. not sure if same executors

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-04/hackers-release-personal-data-of-hundreds-of-german-politicians oops

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

heard about this on the radio this morning. apparently everyone except the nazis got their data released :thunk:

real :thunk: right there

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

this online jewellry store i had to buy a family gift from, a decently priced one for the country its located in, not only sent me my initial password, on registration, in plain text, but also the one i changed it to

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

One of my coworkers thought that password salting was doing things like p4$$w0rD 5@L+inG

mmm, that's s4lty

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

oh poo poo that's where they got mine from i bet too, thinking about it that was the last time i used that password...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

just in time for eu vlc bug bounty huh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/gwillem/status/1086275952915533828?s=21

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

people stress out so much about intelligence agencies having secret encryption backdoors and stuff like that, but uh i don't know if they will ever need anything that fancy

like that encryption xkcd

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

y i k e s

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

huh, our nation-wide bank 2fa app system has github https://github.com/SK-EID/smart-id-documentation

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

Estonia is pretty good at the cybers imo

yeah i like that we figured out one system for baltics, since looking at websites and apps of authentically latvian banks is painful

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fritz posted:

quaternions are great, the real horror is euler angles

those are ok

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The_Franz posted:

i looked in the souceforge page and the only "durrr aes is insecure" stuff was from some random guy 10+ years ago. there was no real argument either, just the developers saying "no"

whiny twitter guy couldn't report this issue directly to the developers because he was triggered by some random guy asking for twofish support on their forums in 2007.

so, which 7zip maintainer are you

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

how the hell are they a 501c3 :psyduck:

what’s that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

oh i see they had a charity raffle or something, ok. and i'm sure the prizes are completely normal and not at all wei-

oh.

:eyepop:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah

I’m a bit surprised that DEF CON furs is organized enough to have a budget and tax classification but it’s far from the first or last organization I’d expect to see at DEF CON

less weird and off putting than the “stripper con” types

the what now :staredog:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/mbzvxv/criminals-hackers-ss7-uk-banks-metro-bank ah, the highly theoretical attack strikes back

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/31/18205795/apple-google-blocked-internal-ios-apps-developer-certificate hahaha

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i wonder if stamos ever gets tired melting down like a clown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lmao