Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

apseudonym posted:

Ground floor, are computers good yet?
all signs point to gently caress no

Kazinsal posted:

I saw one of his talks about physical access and then popped half the doors in my office with an Allen key
One of the things that shocked me when i visited the US was the crumminess of pretty much all of the physical infrastructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

video cards are worse

the number does not tell you which one is faster and there's no reason for it
have you looked at intel CPU’s?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

do you guys really have difficulties understanding intel and nvidia model numbers
my dude can you tell the clock + cores from a Xeon model number? I sure as gently caress can’t.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CmdrRiker posted:

It's recording a public space so it should be available to the public. :kiddo:
it’s recording a public space so it’s getting a massive fine in most EU countries

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Truga posted:

also, so they cannot look up your passwords in a rainbow table because adding salt would be prohibitively expensive on a thing that's already fairly expensive.
It's this. The point of the salt is avoiding the 1-1 mapping from secret to hash.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lain Iwakura posted:

adrian crenshaw is a garbage individual who deserves to be thrown out with the trash

http://www.irongeek.com/images/adrianatlouisvilleinfosec.jpg

Hahahahaha oh no who would have guessed

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Loky11 posted:

my point was that infosec twitter drama is dumb and just go out nicely into the night rather than blaming a group or individuals.

just turn out the lights. say it wasn’t fun anymore. and be done.
You still don't get it.

Diva Cupcake posted:

are there corporate finance conferences and speaking engagements that people take way too seriously? are there project management Twitter rockstars?
you don't know the half of it

apseudonym posted:

The number of times I've had people be confused when my response to them going on about the personal websites employees at their company visit is "you're my adversary and a creep" is enraging.
basically, this.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

geonetix posted:

re SEP im 75% sure it’s just taviso sending them a poc again
No it's at least semi public

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Symantec says its something in the wild hitting against the IPS engine but it should be resolved with the latest def set. They're not really sure who's doing it or what the payload is, so I suspect its a bandaid fix
how’s the payload delivered?

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 17, 2019

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

suspicion is some kind of drive-by but since its being processed in-memory from the wire and then nuked actually recovering conclusive evidence is proving difficult
do you have some kind of exec logging? some parts of our org are still on Symantec, I’ll ask if they’ve seen crashes.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

chemosh6969 posted:

I woke up at 4am and just started digging myself a hole? I don't know what I was thinking.

I didn't want people to think that just because someone was LGBT, that I instantly assumed they were a flake. I probably get overly defensive when people think I'm toxic like that.
Yeah go back to sleep

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's a plenty good idea and why I'm trying to enable it, I'm just worried that it will poo poo itself when I have 20k clients all jabbering it at once. If they were less-poo poo this would have a secure out of box config with some kinda of cert validation of the server instead of blind-tls and some kind of rpc endpoint mapper to handle the socket limits that are loving obvious for any large-scale deployment. I have to assume that most products have something similar for optimization, though probably doing some kind of cloud lookup to the vendors servers by deferring the actual scan of the file until it get can a verdict back on the file from the cloud or it times out and fails back to a local scan.
lol it DDoSing itself in test would be enough to call it garbage and tell symantec to go gently caress itself. You don't want to tie more engineering resources into that shitheap.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

well ya but your smartmeter data shouldn't go to your landlord
lmao you think they won't have a "strategic partnership"?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

“Have you run it by the auditors?”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKdJ6DnPhzk

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

how are you supposed to use the contact part of the smart card with that poo poo on it lol
There's a captive slider usually.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

salted hash browns posted:

Unpopular opinion: Apple giving away iCloud encryption keys in PRC is going to cause far more human harm than Facebook or Google will ever do.
lmao Facebook let whole neighborhoods organize on their platform for a bit of ethnic cleansing so maybe try again.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Google was working on a Chinese version of their search engine (supporting all of the censorship requirements) until late last year when a bunch of engineers revolted and didn't want for work on it anymore.

None of these companies have any kind of morals or ethics.
bingbingbing

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress alladat

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

my last company managed documents for companies that were very upset if everything wasn't pixel-perfect so we found all the fun ways that powerpoint and word implement microsoft's own loving standard wrong or different from how everyone else (including the microsoft-supplied .NET libraries) does. the way the system worked for customers that needed that precision was basically to hook into office itself on an imaginary desktop running on a pool of VM's (with the right printer settings, because what printer you have set as your default changes how the thing renders!!!) and then use a combination of code and macros to do the thing we needed.

pdf has a lot of problems too but at least it doesn't magically render wrong because the person who sent you the file had a different printer
this is really office in a nutshell

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's the good stuff right there.
[/quote]
These guys are going to catch a GDPR sized brick right in the loving face and I am loving here for it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

almost any rural area would love an influx of jobs. however this would require a rural area in america, any single one of them, to have good & cheap internet :shobon:
it’s not just the connectivity. The network effects are obviously important but one of the real killers IMO is the complete lack of civil infrastructure/amenities.
No one making figgies in a midsize/large city is moving to a shithole with one chain restaurant, horrible schools with bullshit commutes and zero cultural activity.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Important news: Ghidra has undo.

https://twitter.com/hackerfantastic/status/1103087869063704576

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/aionescu/status/1103364995251810304

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ZeusCannon posted:

We legit dont have calc anymore on our end points and im pretty sure its because someone was like they cant confirm calc.exe if they dont have it :pseudo:
LMAO

My PIN is 4826 posted:

the phishing simulation for this quarter was a ransom email, which was interesting yes the idiots used an actual working bitcoin address and yes it had a balance so somebody paid the ransom
alright now you lyin’

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 8, 2019

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

univbee posted:

i'll be evaluating all of this definitely. do you have any links discussing these points, and anything more recent than the 2016 hack?
you’re not in a position to be evaluating poo poo, FYI. please do what the actual knowledge havers have been telling you to or stop complaining.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

super-weird at first since they should be running a clean google image outside of the driver layer, but it seens most likely it is a qualcomm driver doing the call "home" https://raw.githubusercontent.com/b...rationTask.java
sure sounds like a great driver feature we should see more of.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

~Coxy posted:

our IS implemented some kind of internal firewall that kills any extant connection after an hour, no matter what

boy it was fun implementing auto-reconnect in our DB layer
man what the gently caress

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

cell connections kick you off every couple hours depending on carrier so really you should always be ready for reconnects
DB layer wireless? 🤔

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ymgve posted:

the best way to monitor SCADA is to have it display on a screen locally, then have a webcam on a completely different network pointed at the screen
unironically agree.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

abigserve posted:

there's not really any vendor that does everything like cisco does so unless you want to manage 4-5 different network operating systems just to keep the lights on it's a pretty good sell regardless of how terrible it is
Also a lot of the alternatives have worse security (huawei), pants on head management tools, lacking features sets or a combination thereof. Juniper might be the only viable alternative I guess?

The Fool posted:

ask me about losing att at every site in the us because ap and procurement were having a tiff about po numbers.
Whenever you start doubting how lovely incumbents are something like this happens

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

no understanding of how the rest of the world operates? :monocle:
Like seriously, what did you think was gonna happen, guy?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1117481557068005378?s=21

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/cecianasta/status/1117906823099457537?s=21

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

why would you use a stolen car for doing crimes
Would you instead suggest using a car that's registered to you?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

take the bus to your bank robbery, it's better for the environment
:same:
also much easier to lose a tail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I use it for all my stuff and am happy with it. Dipshit roommate hasn't gotten any viruses since I configured it on the router
that’s not a nice way to talk about your partner FYI

also in other news:

https://twitter.com/malwaretechblog/status/1119322882578866176?s=21

my guess is everyone recognizes they can’t prove much but they let him side if if he doesn’t embarrass the AUSA

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 19, 2019