Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
worst anime of 2018:

Backstreet Girls gets my vote for worst Anime 2018 too. A transphobic black comedy and one of the worst anime productions I've ever seen-it looks ugly, off-model, and has almost no animation.

Uzumaid while I didn't watch the anime, but I did read a couple of chapters before hard dropping it. It's a black comedy about a pedophile lesbian maid creepily assaulting the little girl she's been entrusted to take care of, and regardless of what other content there may be in the series, the framing of the manga made it pretty clear that the mangaka jack's off to the idea. It's pure pedo bait and perpetuates negative LGBT stereotypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also you should consider adding a "biggest disappointment" category, or make a thread for it, since I feel like some shows that don't belong on a worst/most avoided list would go on there, such as Cutie Honey Universe.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
That would be implying that the source material was good in the first place.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

whats this? my casual best friend girl with cute eyes and a fang? no thanks, id much rather hang out with the manic pixie-stik dream girl with boobs that vary in size based on the key animator

Yeah, Saya Endoh was great.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

goblin slayer is a lot of things but isekai isnt one of them

I mean, it's an Isekai for Cu and Guts probably

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Onmi posted:

I don't think anyone is going to defend Shield Hero though, I mean I won't be shocked if someone tries to, depends on how much is adapted.

It's already happened, on these forums even. And I've seen discourse elsewhere.

Though truth be told I doubt it'll wind up being as big of a shouting contest though, since it's problems are kind of front and center, moreso its text rather than subtext, and defending those elements will definitely reflect more on the person defending them than anything.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

ok then i'm curious what you mean by "shows that legitimately aren't that bad"

She means such as how people called Symphogear 'a trainwreck' to discuss it during the Zorak era, or how people will say they're watching the trainwreck that is SAO, despite the fact that it has plenty of good points to it and it gives the viewer a sense of detachment from engaging from the media they enjoy critically (you can't persecute me for enjoying this show, I'm just enjoying watching the trainwreck).

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

Also, while discussion about the worst 2018 shows and the difference of opinions therein is valid, if you want to talk about The Rising of the Shield Hero for some god-forsaken reason, the Winter 2019 Anime Thread is over here. :colbert:

No, please don't spill this toxic discussion into the seasonal thread, the worst Anime Thread is supposed to be a quarantine chamber for that crap.

I'll probably just ask anybody that wants to earnestly discuss it to make a thread for it. And hey, it might be entertaining for a short bit before it devolves into the same circular arguments over and over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Another Person posted:

my definition of isekai is 'gamey nerd poo poo which is clearly influence by videogames' and i dont care about turbonerd strict definition boundaries. goblin slayer is that. send me to anime prison for my genre crimes because who gives a gently caress when it comes to gamer fiction.

'Isekai' literally translated from Japanese means 'another world'. You can say that you don't like gamey fantasy, that's fine, but don't act like people are being pedantic when you are literally using the wrong terms to mean completely different things