Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

There was a lot of great anime to watch this year but there's also over 60 years or more of the medium available to us. What were some of the best things you watched this year that weren't made this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm still like 2 or 3 movies away from finishing it but Kara no Kyoukai is the most I've enjoyed watching anything in years

Absolutely hated the final episode and one of the new characters (the sister was a pretty great addition imo) but liked the rest of BBB a good amount

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Diebuster it's such an energetic story with lots of great visuals and imaginative scenes. Also some really good theming, both in it's own right and tying back into the original Gunbuster. It also manages to do a rare thing where the sequel enhances the original work.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Haven't had much time this year, but I did just finish binging Violet Evergarden. Even if it was a little simplistic, it did it's job as a tearjerker very well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Haven't had much time this year, but I did just finish binging Violet Evergarden. Even if it was a little simplistic, it did it's job as a tearjerker very well.

what if i told you violet evergarden was this year

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AlternateNu posted:

The OP and Thread Title posted:

What were some of the best things you watched this year that weren't made this year?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Old Things I finished this year:

-.hack//Roots
-Aura Battler Dunbine
-New Story of Aura Battler Dunbine
-Garzey's Wing
-Wings of Rean
-Armored Trooper VOTOMS
-Chrono Trigger OVA
-Daitarn 3
-Expelled from Paradise
-Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals
-His & Her Circumstances
-Kakegurui
-Mashin Hero Wataru
-Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
-Nadia: The Movie

Not a whole lot this year (Though I watched more new stuff than I usually do too). His & Her's and VOTOMS are probably the two things I liked the most- hard for me to know which I really prefer. VOTOMS might edge out slightly only because that last bunch of episodes of His & Her's really falls off a cliff though before that I thought it was generally stronger.

Garzey's Wings got some laughs out of me too, so it gets a special mention for that.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

The best anime i watched this year that wasn't made in 2018 was Girls und Panzer Der Film and its possibly one of my favorite anime things ever at this point
it did a really good job making me appreciate some more neglected characters from the series, and then the back half is just all tank fights

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I only really started watching anime seriously this year, so you guys get all my 10/10s (that aren't Gridman and Liz and the Blue Bird) :v:

Shirobako
Samurai Champloo
Tsukigakirei
Hyouka
Oregairu Zoku
A Silent Voice

All of these touched me or wowed me in pretty different ways, but I still think Shirobako gets to be #1 considering all the different ways all the characters spoke to me. Shizuka's struggles with job hunting were real big mood for me.

Honourable mentions:
Gamers!
Hibike! Euphonium
Saekano (still watching)
Sakura Quest
Kakegurui
Konosuba
Ore Monogatari
Tsurezure Children (manga was a 10/10 for me)

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 27, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darker than black was way better than i remember it being and it got dis an avatar

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
thank you, my mysterious benefactor

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I was gonna make a more positive hanasaku iroha post but then I remembered an arc cap that really bugged me so I'll just say that the cast is real fun and the family drama is relatably weird and dysfunctional while still wrapping around to heartwarming

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Huh. I thought it came out late 2017, but apparently, that was just the advanced screenings.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I didn’t watch too many shows this year (probably less than 10?), but I think the ones I spent the most time watching were older ones.

1) Slayers!

Great watch. I’ve heard of the name before, but I had never managed to see anything from it (no highlight clips or story summaries) until a couple of months ago. Previously the only thing I knew was that someone named Lina Inverse existed, and she was apparently pretty cool. The “shows with ‘Slayer’ in the name” thread was the catalyst to introducing me to this series, and I ended up binge watching the first and second seasons on YouTube. Currently in the middle of NEXT, but I’ve been too busy lately to continue watching. Need to catch up on that! Then once I finish NEXT, I need to start the OVAs and newer seasons...

Verdict: extremely comfy show to sit down and (re)watch if I’m ever in the mood for comedy D&D adventures.

2) Card Captor Sakura

When Clear Card came out this year, it inspired me to rewatch the original (+ movies) for the first time in ages. CCS was a great part of my childhood, so it was nice to revisit it and catch details I had missed before. Also a great reminder that the OPs and EDs are extremely catchy.

Verdict: still as enjoyable as it was back then IMO. Sakura’s great :3:

Now that I think about it, maybe I should rewatch the original Sailor Moon to see if it still holds up...

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Oh forgot to mention ACCA 13 was loving fantastic. Hot men smoking and eating cake and the plot didn't make me immediately lose interest like most shows with plots I try to watch.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the vast majority i watched this year was movies, i wont bother posting about those again. there's already a thread i have the most posts in for that. won't bother with the doxx shows either. outside of that i finished watching (i think) every single horror ova/movie anime in existence. only thing i'm missing is some stuff also tagged hentai and i can't be bothered with watching that. most were pretty bad, horror doesn't really work with anime if its actually trying to be scary. an enjoyable one was Kikoushi Enma (the 2006 one, theres like 3). slow start, but some genuine creepiness.

outside of that i finished up the last pieces of szs, and watched an earlier work by the author, that was animated later, Katte ni Kaizou. it was interesting to see how much more perverted and rougher his humor was, but it wasn't actually all that funny so its mostly interesting as a curiosity.

watched etotama, i love anything parody generally so this was an easy like. outside of the jokes it also has easily the best cgi in anime, in its excessively unnecessary and beautiful fight scenes.

another interest i had this year was lain prototypes. one of these was alice in cyberland, which shares a lot of visual similarities and staff with lain and was intended to be longer than it actually ended up. there's even a preview at the end of the first episode with a bunch of stuff that never ended up happening cause it never got made. i find it likely it got recycled into lain. perhaps as a little tribute, an actress in this plays a character that has the same name in both this and lain.

the other was key the metal idol. this is kinda the idol synthesis of evangelion and lain, but it came out earlier than both. oddly enough, despite coming out earlier, it has a lot of similarities with evangelion. visuals, characters and story beats and it even ends with 2 movie length episodes. and yet the show is different enough to be unique. the show has been, as far as i know, totally forgotten nowadays and its understandable why. while i think its a worthwhile watch its pacing is also glacial at first and it takes a long time to get anywhere interesting. those last 2 episodes are fascinating though. definitely worth watching for any experienced and more patient anime fan. the director/writer never had a leading role in anime production again, so it will remain an unique oddity forever.

Yomigaeru Sora: Rescue Wings: this show has an interesting backstory. it was originally going to be a high budget action show with a female mc, but the staff rebelled against the producer and then this show got made. a pilot of the original is available on the net for those interested and looking at the producer later work (aika, gup) you can guess how it would have ended up. instead of that we got a rare realistic workplace drama about a helicopter pilot and his girlfriend. the animation is competent at best, but the writing is great.

Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san. this is good stuff. lmao love them crazy demons and their wild jokes

Kasei Yakyoku. incredibly melodramatic josei, as long as you got a tolerance for melodrama its worth checking out.

Red Garden: the vast majority of series set in high schools completely fail to make the characters in any way sound human. red garden, despite its main characters being corpses, succeeds at that task. this it does in a couple of ways. first as a rarity for anime they recorded the voice acting before animating the show. the other way is by its excellent writing. there's some misses there, like the insane decision in the first half of the show to have the characters randomly start singing, but overall its great stuff. very likeable characters. it also has a distinct visual style, which works great once you get used to it. the only exception are the characters with big lips who throughout the series keep looking like horrid goblins no matter how hard you try to get used to it. there's also a distinct gothic flavor (and it actually understands gothic literature on a level beyond visuals) to the series, which in combination with its current day new york setting, makes for a rather unique series. the writing team clearly worked well together. led by Tomohiro Yamashita (gankutsou) it also starred Jukki Hanada (every single moe hit in the last decade) and Mari Okada. there's also a bunch of conspiracy and fighting stuff to it, but i don't really care about that stuff. it was mostly funny how half of its fight scenes looked like the girls just beating the poo poo out of random guys in alleys. barely any of the background mythology ever gets explained, and that's fine. it's not important. an easy recommendation for anyone

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Zetsuai an oldie BL pick for me from Gorf was a lot better than I expected. A few really well composed scenes, lots of funny bits and a very made for me violent ending. Also the OST slaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_wxSAFHFfg

Started watching the OVA of the sequel manga Bronze but it seems significantly less good and more dependent on reading the manga which I'm not interested in doing.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Magnetic Rose from the Memories anthology was a very good sci-fi horror story which has been pretty rare in my admittedly narrow viewing experience. Features some great art direction and what I felt was a pretty interesting plot.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Kemono Friends was the only non-2018 anime I watched this year that I really liked. I liked Slayers Next, especially Martina being a shithead and the gang as a whole, but the plot threads were uninteresting to me so I kind of stopped caring.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I finished Saiki K season 2 this year and it was really funny. I think it's one of those comedies that only gets better as the weirdo cast gets bigger and the author has them play off each other in increasingly more complicated ways.

But I also think I finished Legend of Galactic Heroes early this year and that was the best.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Julias posted:

Diebuster it's such an energetic story with lots of great visuals and imaginative scenes. Also some really good theming, both in it's own right and tying back into the original Gunbuster. It also manages to do a rare thing where the sequel enhances the original work.

I also watched Diebuster, and yeah. Even with some other classics and a lot of great new stuff this year, it got the title easily.

It's funny. If Build Divers and Darling in the Franxx hadn't poo poo the bed so badly, I probably wouldn't have gone on an old mech anime binge, and therefore wouldn't have gotten around to Diebuster for a lot longer.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i rewatched seirei no moribito

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Hello, my name is Triggerhappypilot and my posting gimmick is not being able to seriously review any anime without making reference to M.D. Geist*.

Today I am going to talk about Pretty Rhythm: Rainbow Live, and how it is not M.D. Geist. Logically, this is equivalent to a negation of the statement:
"There exists only one good anime, and it is M.D. Geist." -> "There exists only one good anime, and it is not M.D. Geist."
Of course this cannot be true, as it is very clear that the first statement is true. However, we must jump beyond the boundaries of simple negation to fully understand Rainbow Live. You see, we must take the contrapositive of the first statement to fully understand Rainbow Live: "There does not exist only one good anime, and it is not M.D. Geist." Rainbow Live is in many ways the contrapositive of M.D. Geist, negating both its premise and conditions but arriving at the same fundamental truth value. M.D. Geist follows the path of a post-apocalyptic soldier as he shoots, stabs, and explodes his way through continuously escalating outlandish difficulties. Rainbow Live follows the path of 7 pre-apocalyptic girls who Prism Jump their way through continuously escalating real-world difficulties. M.D. Geist and Rainbow Live are both at their cores something fundamentally different from Idol anime, although both M.D. Geist and the Prism Stars of Rainbow Live are performers, in a way; While the stars put on fashion-show/concert/skating competitions that culminate in massive, reality altering Prism Jumps that delight fans, Geist performs a series of his own knife/gun/grenade attacks that culminate in orgiastic mechsuit ultraviolence. Both shows an exploration of how far the human mind is able to escalate, but viewed in different contexts: whereas M.D. Geist treads the path of isolation that escalates into dehumanization and eventually destruction on an epic scale, Rainbow Live instead focuses on the ability of people to rely on others and combine their strengths to create more and more powerful Prism Jumps to score more points and eventually even save the world. Thus, when I say "Rainbow Live is the contrapositive of M.D. Geist, I am not just making things up.

Rainbow Live is a study in escalation, and while things don't get really crazy (gonna crazy) until King of Prism starts, it is something should be experienced. It is easy at first to dismiss Rainbow Live as "just some kids idol show with repetitive songs and no depth" just as easily as one may dismiss M.D. Geist as "Just some edgy 80s OVA with a dumb plot and no depth," but this is merely a trap for those who don't wish to expand their conception of what a such a show can really be. Rainbow Live has quite a lot of depth, although one might get distracted by the obvious marketing attempts for Prism Stone-branded gear and the tie-in with the arcade game, including Mega-Nee, who is trapped in the computer for the entire show and won't get to be an actual character until Pripara. At least Rainbow Live acknowledges she exists.

*Most Dangerous

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Like I do every Christmas, I rewatched my favourite Christmas movie: Tokyo Godfathers.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
Finally watched Non Non Biyori. I never would've thought a show could be described as cozy before now.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

RainbowCake posted:

Finally watched Non Non Biyori. I never would've thought a show could be described as cozy before now.

Might I suggest Tanaka-kun is always Listless, as well?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I (re)watched all of Haikyuu!! and I recommend for everyone to watch Haikyuu!!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Blank Construct posted:

Magnetic Rose from the Memories anthology was a very good sci-fi horror story which has been pretty rare in my admittedly narrow viewing experience. Features some great art direction and what I felt was a pretty interesting plot.

memories is great, but i still wouldn't call magnetic rose very creepy

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.

Julias posted:

Might I suggest Tanaka-kun is always Listless, as well?

I will definitely check that out, thanks!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

RainbowCake posted:

I will definitely check that out, thanks!

Complete the trifecta with Flying Witch.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Everything Burrito posted:

I (re)watched all of Haikyuu!! and I recommend for everyone to watch Haikyuu!!

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
I only just watched Neon Genesis Evangelion for the first time a few months ago. fite me

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Jim Long-un posted:

I only just watched Neon Genesis Evangelion for the first time a few months ago. fite me

What did you think of it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

why isnt this thread stickied

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man

GorfZaplen posted:

What did you think of it

I thought it was really really good. I have mixed results with things that are Culturally Enshrined but NGE was even better than I had heard IMO.

Ghost in the Shell 2 is still my favorite piece though.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I started watching Welcome to the NHK in the middle of December and definitely want to keep going on that. Not exactly in the spirit of "finished it in 2018," but it's something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also to expand on darker than black a bit, I think it had a really interesting setting and a powerset for its protagonists, and all four of the leads were pretty interesting and likable. But what I really enjoyed about it is how well it built a sense of place, you really got a feel for the city and its inhabitants. Stuff like the random ramen restaurant kid and her dad who are never the focus of an episode but recur enough for you to remember them, the goofy detective and his assistant who are only really important to two episodes but pop up in other places for comedic relief, so on. It was something I didn't remember about the show and it was what really sold me on it as something actually pretty special, seeing all these fairly normal people making the best of a weird world.

My favorite scene in the show by far is the bit where they're talking about how the artificial sky might open up to let them see the real sky and you get stuff like the kids not even remembering the real sky, the people who were kids when the real sky went away desperately hoping it comes back, and all the cynical 40-somethings having already given up on ever seeing it again. It's a really nice little thing, something the show spent a long time building towards. And it doesn't really have any huge narrative payoff, it's just a moment to explore all these side characters. And the bonus episode is incredibly funny, just a complete piss take of the show's own narrative excesses that doubles as another chance to explore the side cast and put the fairly serious and brooding leads into a wacky situation.

The ending is a bit too metaphysical to get directly invested in and they repeat the 'the SYNDICATE isn't going to like this' *next episode* 'ah, the syndicate has given us another chance, nevertheless,' thing like three times, but it's still a really solid show with a lot of strengths that you wouldn't expect it to have given its status as a mid-2000s dark action show.

Season 2 was decent and I really love the first couple of episodes and how they slowly build up then break apart Suou's day-to-day life, but its side cast was way less likable and it barely built a sense of place at all. Plus it made really bad use of some of the returning characters. Also I don't know what they were doing with the lesbian who has to kiss dudes to use her power and her sidekick, the vaguely implied pedophile. Still not bad, though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

shin sekai yori is the only anime I've seen that consistently comes close to good horror

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Literally in the middle of watching Redline as I post this and it's already the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Didn't watch a lot of of older shows this year but finally watched Sora no Woto and Strike Witches and both were really good