Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

So most of CSPAM probably has read King Leopold's Ghost, and know about the Congo Free State and the Belgian Congo. In 1960, the last democratic election chose Patrice Lumumba, who was promptly assassinated due to being overly lefty and asking for Soviet assistance, to kick off what is now called the Congo Crisis. This was a time of the high cold war--CIA were trying to secure uranium deposits in the south (where rare earth elements are now harvested in near slave labor conditions to power our interactive cell phone screens THANKS CHINA), the communists were trying to make inroads in the east (Che Guevara narrowly escaped with his life from the Simba), and in the chaos a young military leader of the west, Mobutu Sese Seko, was able to consolidate power and reign for a very long time. Well, he dead. A number of others have held power briefly, including Laurent Kabila (another figure from the Congo Crisis, also dead) and his son, current President Joseph Kabila.

Now Joseph, he's ignored term limits for the past two years, but has now been pushed to hold new elections. His named successor its thought would just be a puppet. Meanwhile, the rural poor (i.e., most of Congo) want for the leader of the opposition, Martin Fayulu, to win. So of course, poo poo is going down. A fire burned 80% of the election machines and caused a vote delay of 2 weeks (of course it is an open question whether they will work with the abysmal electrical grid). Also, because of continued unrest in the east, where Hutu militias from Rwanda (remember that?) are still fighting, and there is an outbreak of ebola (lol because of course there is) so two of the larger cities won't be able to vote with the rest of the country. They just happen to be supporters of the opposition. So they rioted, and in the chaos raided one of the ebola isolation centers.

Congo.

Anyway, read this recent update from WaPo and lets hope for the best. Election should be in 4 days

Bilirubin has issued a correction as of 05:42 on Jan 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
does China have any influence there

How dependent is the semiconductor/hardware industry on Congo exports

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

mila kunis posted:

does China have any influence there

How dependent is the semiconductor/hardware industry on Congo exports

Not sure how much influence they have, but they are working hard to develop central Africa (they are helping Rwanda build major infrastructure). Two Chinese companies purchase most of the cobalt mined in Congo IIRC.

Here's an article on the cobalt mining

e. and another https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/in-sight/wp/2018/02/28/the-cost-of-cobalt/?utm_term=.f0bbf728db09

Half the world's cobalt comes from Congo

Bilirubin has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Dec 30, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm sure that there are no strings attached... hahahahahah i can't say that with a straight face

is Congo still in a state of civil war?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

i'm sure that there are no strings attached... hahahahahah i can't say that with a straight face

is Congo still in a state of civil war?

Oh yeah, Kivu is a war zone.

In Rwanda kids are learning Chinese in schools. Its a really quiet thing China is doing but it might lead to a massive hegemony in the not too distant future.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Colonialism is bad when it's not white euro's doing it so i'm PISSED

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I look forward to the CIA backed coup 6 months after the opposition wins.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

there aren't any muslims in the congo so the CIA doesnt give a poo poo

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fallen Hamprince posted:

there's a lot of brown people so they actually give many shits

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Fallen Hamprince posted:

There aren't many muslims in nicaragua either

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Byolante posted:

There aren't many muslims in nicaragua either

of course there are people in cspam who think the anti-austerity protests in nicaragua are a cia plot, because there's nothing the cia hates more than IMF-backed pension reform lmao

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

In Rwanda kids are learning Chinese in schools. Its a really quiet thing China is doing but it might lead to a massive hegemony in the not too distant future.

More on this

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Fallen Hamprince posted:

of course there are people in cspam who think the anti-austerity protests in nicaragua are a cia plot, because there's nothing the cia hates more than IMF-backed pension reform lmao

ugh when is the next charity drive to keep you probated

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Only France should control the central African civilizations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nonsense posted:

Only France should control the central African civilizations.

you cant trust belgians to run their own country, much less colonies in africs

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The gong show (Cong show?) has started, with missing rolls and flooding.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

This is uh bad

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

Rwanda is going to be African Prussia btw

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lawman 0 posted:

Rwanda is going to be African Prussia btw

What does that mean

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress the CIA forever, and solidarity with the Congolese

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

BOTH SIDES WIN!

(votes still being counted, except where they will not vote until March, three months after the election is decided)

ShriekingMarxist posted:

gently caress the CIA forever, and solidarity with the Congolese

Yup.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Kurtofan posted:

What does that mean

yeah wtf the new prussians are clearly the Kurds, but only if they can manage to found a free Kurdistan in between iraq and turkey

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

OK in case you were wondering why no news, its just that the government has shut down the internet and opposition radio to ensure no "fake news" about the elections gets out, because that might lead to unrest. PERFECTLY NORMAL NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

The army was getting bored I guess

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2019/01/deploys-troops-gabon-fears-unrest-drc-190105055926860.html

quote:

US deploys troops to Gabon amid fears of unrest in DRC

US President Donald Trump told Congress on Friday the first of about 80 troops arrived in Gabon on Wednesday to protect US citizens and diplomatic facilities should violence break out in DRC's capital Kinshasa.

Voters in Congo went to the polls on December 30, two years after they were first scheduled to be held, to elect the successor to President Joseph Kabila who has been in power for 18 years.

"The first of these personnel arrived in Gabon on January 2, 2019, with appropriate combat equipment and supported by military aircraft," Trump's letter to Congress read.

"Additional forces may deploy to Gabon, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, or the Republic of the Congo, if necessary for these purposes.

"These deployed personnel will remain in the region until the security situation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo becomes such that their presence is no longer needed."

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

What does that mean

They are gonna slice of parts of their neighbors and start another world war

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

What does that mean

They'll kill to earn their living, and to help out the Congolese

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Sodomy Hussein posted:

They'll kill to earn their living, and to help out the Congolese

Nice

quote:

"These deployed personnel will remain in the region until the security situation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo becomes such that their presence is no longer needed."

hahahahaha

Also quick history lesson: Operation Dragon Rouge

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Are any of the people trying to lead drc wearing cool suits? Sapeurs are cool and good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2O5yfw20Yg

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Election result announcement delayed

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
This seems like a normal and cool country

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Dreddout posted:

This seems like a normal and cool country

Crushed by colonialism and the cold war.

A more detailed story has now been put out by the Guardian. The catholic church's 40k observers say there is a clear winner, the opposition leader Fayulu, and that this might be an attempt by Kabila to steal the election for his preferred candidate.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Did Trump's tariffs impact on China's ability to nation build in Africa?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

this will end well
an unintended consequence at best and bullshit at worst

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The uranium for the atomic bombs we dropped on Japan came from the DRC, the US has been involved there for a while.

Also Mobutu was our puppet and got to hang out in the White House with like five Presidents.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Fallen Hamprince posted:

the majority of muslims in DRC are in Kisangani and points further east, but the US embassy in Kinshasa had to shut down last month because of credible terrorist threats from an islamist group

I worked in the DRC for 5 years as a consultant (non-military) for the US government, ask me anything

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

curried lamb of God posted:

the majority of muslims in DRC are in Kisangani and points further east, but the US embassy in Kinshasa had to shut down last month because of credible terrorist threats from an islamist group

I worked in the DRC for 5 years as a consultant (non-military) for the US government, ask me anything

how are the roads? i read a book a while back about a guy who went from bukavu (iirc) to kisangani on the N3 and he had to do it by dirtbike

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

curried lamb of God posted:

Any decent geological maps?

Fallen Hamprince posted:

how are the roads? i read a book a while back about a guy who went from bukavu (iirc) to kisangani on the N3 and he had to do it by dirtbike

I have my grandmother's journal from when they made that trip (Kisangani to Goma, then down to Bujumbura via Bukavu) after WWII. She was not a fan of the road quality (or much of anything else TBH, I think her Swahili name translated to "the screaching one")

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
The roads are... not good, but surprisingly decent in places. The best ones I saw were in the Lubumbashi area, which makes sense since it's the economic powerhouse (copper mining) of the country and their former governor, PPRD (Kabila's party)-turned-opposition candidate Moise Katumbi*, poured a ton of money into infrastructure. Another city with surprisingly great roads is Kindu, which is the capital of Maniema province but otherwise an irrelevant little city, but Kabila's Prime Minister Matata Ponyo is a native and he thus bestowed a ton of infrastructure money onto his hometown. I lived in Kisangani for the first 4 1/2 years and the roads were largely crap outside of the city center, although buses and freight trucks regularly make the trip from there to points east on the main "highway" out of town. I've been told that it's possible to make the trip to Mombasa, Kenya via that road in two-three days, but I have my doubts. My last 6 months were spent in Kinshasa and the traffic is utterly horrid, but the roads in the downtown area and to the airport are pretty good, at least.

FWIW I drove myself around Kisangani on a motorcycle, but had a driver in Kinshasa since the traffic is bewildering and other drivers are so bad

*RE Katumbi, I was actually in Lubumbashi during his failed attempt to return to the DRC in August. I had to visit two farms in the area, one in Likasi 2 hours to the north, and the other half an hour south of town on the "highway" to Zambia. I was lucky enough to visit the latter farm on my first day there, since that road was utterly slammed the following day due to Katumbi's anticipated arrival. Riot police attacked protesters in Lubumbashi on that day, but I was thankfully in Likasi when the worst took place.

I don't have any good maps, sorry!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

on a scale of 1 to 10 how strong was ur urge to go colonel kurtz in the jungle somewhere 1 being a desire to leave asap 10 being your posting from a satellite link in a war camp rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
RE: Hutu militias, the ex-Interhamwe were pushed across the border from Rwanda into the DRC, and many (along with their families) are still living in refugee camps near the border since Rwanda sure as gently caress doesn't want them back and I'm sure other countries don't want to welcome ex-genocidaires into their country. Rwanda borders North and South Kivu provinces, and the former has a lot of ethnic Tutsis, so the Hutu families are in camps as much for their safety as anybody else's

I worked for an agriculture project in collaboration with the Congolese Army (to help feed them, basically), and my job site was on an army base in Kisangani. In 2014, the UN decided to temporarily transfer ~800 Hutus from the FDLR and their families from the Rwandan border to this base, where they were supposed to stay for a couple of weeks before repatriating them to Rwanda. Of course, once they arrived in Kisangani, they refused to go back to Rwanda due to fears of incarceration (or worse), and they've been living in the barracks since then. Out of those 800, maybe 110 were/are militants, and the rest are their wives and children. They haven't been able to leave their part of the base since arriving, also for their own protection - Kisangani residents loathe Rwandans due to the atrocities their army committed in the Second Congo War in 1999. Although I didn't have any involvement in the operation of their camp, I did get to visit when the former US Ambassador passed by in 2015.

The UN mission in the Congo (MONUSCO) had provided food and health care until October 2018, when they handed over that task to the Congolese government. Thankfully, it looks like they were repatriated to Rwanda in November, and it looks like the Rwandan government is trying to reintegrate them into society.