Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Agile Vector posted:

thanks for the suggestions! i think i have a buddy with an old nexus, and i forgot those nokias were a thing

ill try the studio first, i completely forgot that route was an option

i think all nexus phones are EOL now for security updates so don't use it for anything too important. you also won't have the new version of the OS (and possibly an ancient OS depending on which nexus it is)

i will also ditto the recommendation for whatever cheap Nokia phones they have refreshed recently. you will get 2 years of os updates and 3 for security. some of them are extremely cheap too if you don't care about having super fast chips, a good camera, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

it was just lint in the charging port :getin:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

why won't apple let me sleep for more than 12 hours. typical hand-holdey crapple nonsense :goonsay:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jimmy Carter posted:

my buddy had to get an android for work so he could support execs that used it, so he was given a Galaxy S9.

:sever:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/android-user-added-to-group-chat-better-be-one-funny-motherfucker/

REDMOND, Wash. — Samsung Galaxy S9 owner Keith Anderson was added to what was previously an iMessage group chat last night. According to close sources, he “better be literally the funniest human being to ever walk the planet,” if he wants to remain in the closely guarded chat.

“The Galaxy S9 has a real edge-to-edge screen unlike y’all and your overpriced iPhones, and the processing power and customizable UI give me a way better user experience compared to th[1/5],” Anderson explained, and went on to point out that Steve Jobs didn’t even know how to code. He then demanded that everybody download WhatsApp like the rest of the world.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it's really nice that they're still running that knockoff onion

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i just changed from a samsung that i was forced to give up to a nexus i got for free and even though it's still android it is very different. i hate it because i fear change and also because i can't figure out how to make the volume buttons control media volume and not ringtone volume.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

indigi posted:

I'd have to say my favorite thing about switching to ios is that 50% of the time it fails to send pictures or videos via mms

that's why you have imessage that literally give you delivery confirmation or even read receipt if they have it enabled

alternatively stop using poo poo tier carrier, iirc google fi with ios always drops mms or sms

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

HoboMan posted:

i just changed from a samsung that i was forced to give up to a nexus i got for free and even though it's still android it is very different. i hate it because i fear change and also because i can't figure out how to make the volume buttons control media volume and not ringtone volume.

there should be a little mark like "+" or "v" on the side of the volume-bar toast that pops up when you push one of the volume buttons. you can tap on this and it will unroll to show you all the volume bars. alternatively, if you open an app that plays audio continuously (e.g open a music app and start playing a song) the volume buttons should adjust the media volume at that time

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

coke posted:

that's why you have imessage that literally give you delivery confirmation or even read receipt if they have it enabled

alternatively stop using poo poo tier carrier, iirc google fi with ios always drops mms or sms

apparently it's not ios, it's the xs antenna sucking dick. this pos drops connection 2-3x on my way to work while none of my android phones ever had a problem

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
you're holding it wrong

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
one of my coworkers has google fi and it is impossible to call or text him. this is probably by design

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

carry on then posted:

have u ever noticed how when people try ios they have nothing but complaints, but when they try android they love it

really makes u think

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is there any granularity to the ios "reduce motion" setting in the accessibility section of the settings? some of the default whooshy swoopy animations are legit disorienting to me but if i turn on the reduce option it makes the app switcher carousel unusable :ughh:

lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i mean lol that the only option is if imessage animations play automatically but the app switcher seems fine, if slow. no momentum makes it take three times the swipes, but if you have motor issues thats better than missing everything every time

its a legitimate request since some animations are helpful and id like to see it maybe for certain animations (large is full screen, medium is menus and scrolling, and small is toggles and notifications)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

one of my coworkers has google fi and it is impossible to call or text him. this is probably by design

im using google fi on an iphone right now (long story) and im surprised it works as well as it does. i don't get any problems with calls text or iMessage. i will be ditching it soon though because there's better value plans elsewhere (also they haven't gotten visual voicemail working for ios yet so you have to call into it like a caveman)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

can you use google voice on google fi?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

you might want to ask in the IYG google fi thread. iirc it's possible to some degree but there are some pitfalls to getting it set up

also i wouldn't go for google fi unless (a) you already have one of the Android phones that fully works on it, and (b) you significantly benefit from its unique features (which only work if you have one of those few Android phones). if you don't fit that use case you're most likely better off with another carrier

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

indigi posted:

apparently it's not ios, it's the xs antenna sucking dick. this pos drops connection 2-3x on my way to work while none of my android phones ever had a problem

spending a literal grand on an inferior product to one you already have is a massive self own lmao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it’s legit disappointing in some respects

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Wait, if I’m you’re saying that iOS goofi isn’t better than :laffo: Sprint :laffo:?

:ohdear:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

is the ios Reminders app really as inflexible and non-featured as it seems? i have tried various UI gestures to unlock hidden features but it seems kinda bare bones. like why would i use this instead of just making a note in Notes

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is the ios Reminders app really as inflexible and non-featured as it seems? i have tried various UI gestures to unlock hidden features but it seems kinda bare bones. like why would i use this instead of just making a note in Notes

given how poorly googles reminders work maybe reminding people of things is just impossible?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lutha Mahtin posted:

are you actually wanting useful features, or are is this one of those "siri can't tell me when civil twilight begins" sorts of "features"?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

well, if you want to make a note, then you should use notes. if you want to be reminded of something, then you might consider reminders. the most it can really do is simple lists. notes is much more fully featured, but you can't yell at it to remind you to get a haircut in two weeks or w/e

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lutha Mahtin posted:

think of it as just a backing store for siri

if you tell siri to "remind me to buy coffee when i get to panther" it'll make the reminder and make a notification when you get to panther

notes doesn't send notifications, that's what reminders is for

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
i miss my big stupid lumia 900 and regret not getting the bigger, dumber 1520 after it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ios is still bad and I miss live tiles

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

ios is still bad and I miss live tiles

you're weird

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if u used them you'd be like: "oh, this is so much better". you stick ur fav apps on the home screen and then everything else is in an app list. the ios way is like a messy desktop with poo poo scattered everywhere on multiple pages

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also the glance screen was great and ios needs to copy it

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
winphone and

Shaggar posted:

fav apps

lol

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shaggar posted:

if u used them you'd be like: "oh, this is so much better". you stick ur fav apps on the home screen and then everything else is in an app list. the ios way is like a messy desktop with poo poo scattered everywhere on multiple pages

so basically just like the desktops of the boomers that end up buying most iphones is what you're saying

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the iphone homescreen is ridiculously underutilized space, live tiles were cool and good.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shaggar posted:

i genuinely don't understand why you didn't get a pixel

it solves literally every complaint you've made about iphones

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

all those apps on winphone. like... outlook, and uh... internet explorer? and zune?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

so basically just like the desktops of the boomers that end up buying most iphones is what you're saying

yes, ios is a boomer phone thru and thru

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

i genuinely don't understand why you didn't get a pixel

it solves literally every complaint you've made about iphones

android has garbage security.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Shaggar posted:

yes, ios is a boomer phone thru and thru

blackberry is what sticks in my mind as a “boomer phone,” but it’s not really a thing anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ios and blackberry share a lot of ui design