Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

That is an insanely aggressive case of old-man-face-itis.
But the comic looks neat though, so :justpost: .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vargo posted:

A Problem Like Jamal

Not sure how I feel about this comic yet. Seems like it might be a bit too Calvin crossed with Boondocks and the boys look like old men. I can see how it might grow on me, though.

Thanks for posting it. Hello new thread.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I saw this posted in the other comic thread and I think it should be part of the OP

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hello new thread.

Rhymes with Orange is another gag-a-day strip written by two women, Hilary Price and Rina Piccolo.

Pros and Cons used to be a thread favorite. It's about three professionals: a police detective, a defense lawyer, and a psychiatrist. (There used to be other characters in the strip, including a judge, a prosecuting attorney, and a server, but they've been appearing less and less.) However, over the last year it's been swerving back and forth between "still actually funny" and "Fox News style grousing about snowflakes." You never quite know what you're going to get each day.

Retail is a strip about how much fun it is to work in a mall department store.

I also post:

Buni (Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays), a wordless strip about a happy cartoon rabbit.

Edge of Adventure (Mondays), which really wants to be a throwback to the days of Captain Easy, Terry and the Pirates, Steve Canyon, and other classic adventure strips. Unfortunately, the creators of those strips knew how to write and plot and draw and keep a story moving, and Edge's creators don't. Despite that, it's almost up to its third year of publication.

Stephen Collins (Saturdays) is a British cartoonist, occasionally political, who I post here because he's usually quite funny and the people who don't want to wade into the political cartoon thread should get to enjoy him too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Selachian posted:

Edge of Adventure (Mondays), which really wants to be a throwback to the days of Captain Easy, Terry and the Pirates, Steve Canyon, and other classic adventure strips. Unfortunately, the creators of those strips knew how to write and plot and draw and keep a story moving, and Edge's creators don't. Despite that, it's almost up to its third year of publication.
Notably, it's also from the current writer of Mark Trail. I think he does the art on Near But Not At Adventure, but somebody else does the art for Mark Trail

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis is a comic strip about a healthy, happy, well-adjusted married couple in their late fifties / early sixties. You'd think this would be exceptionally boring, but it's one of my favorite comic strips, ever.

Tina's Groove Classic is a slice-of-life comic strip about a waitress that recently ended, but I liked it too much to not see it every day, so I decided to start reposting older strips from ~10 years ago. Its author, Rina Piccolo, now collaborates on Rhymes with Orange with Hilary Price.

Arlo and Janis Classic is Arlo and Janis from ~20 years ago. Interestingly, in this strip, you'll see their son, Gene, trying to contrive an excuse to visit a motel that they've visited a few times before. He has a crush on the proprietor's daughter, and will, eventually, marry her (but not after many, many years apart, and her becoming a single mother).

Garfield Classic is Garfield. Come on. A long while back, I decided to start posting old Garfield strips to see if they were actually ever any good, or if my soft child brain just enjoyed them because they were colorful and pleasant and easy. It turned out that old Garfield can be hilarious; whatever reputation it's earned now as a "zombie" strip, with phoned-in jokes and copy-pasted panels, there was, once, skilled artwork and great jokes in Garfield. Today's is not a very good example of that, but back then they actually did make "cats being cats" jokes as well, so.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, Jamal looks solid. Keep posting that!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pastry of the Year, I like every single comic you post, please keep it up!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

Huxley posted:

I would like to take this opportunity to point out I didn't know this thread existed until the Sluggo is lit banner ad, and it turned out to be one of my favorite things I discovered in 2018.
I'll take this as an excuse to repost my single most commented on strip I've ever posted.

The origin - Nancy on September 3, 2018

and then, September 8, 2018, Dark Side of the Horse

(Do they still make cartoon night lights? I had a Donald Duck and my brother had a Mickey Mouse when we were kids, but wow that's something I haven't thought about in twenty years.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2011 Spiderman

The Amazing Spiderman

Dick Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Spirit of the Staircase

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens FOR gently caress'S SAKE, HOW DOES IT KEEP GETTING WORSE?

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

What the gently caress, Holbrook.

Also Tauhid Bondia is a name that I haven’t heard in a long while. Can’t recall what webcomic it was that he wrote though.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Kudos to the one who called that, you can think like a Holbrook, congrats!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Haifisch posted:

The Amazing Spiderman

Wow, an actual superhero who can't escape from Spidey's web? What a wimp!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Kennel posted:

Wow, an actual superhero who can't escape from Spidey's web? What a wimp!

Who the gently caress gave you a Guy Gilchrist red-text avatar, what could you ever have done to deserve that?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

FrumpleOrz posted:

Every time I think we've hit rock bottom with how dumb this strip can get, Holbrook finds a new, exciting way to exceed my worst expectations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

computer angel posted:

I saw this posted in the other comic thread and I think it should be part of the OP

Apparently by Playboy cartoonist Bernard Kliban, particularly known for his Cat cartoons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._Kliban

Green Intern posted:

What the gently caress, Holbrook.

Also Tauhid Bondia is a name that I haven’t heard in a long while. Can’t recall what webcomic it was that he wrote though.

"Broken Telephone", apparently. I vaguely recall it being absolutely miserable.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 1, 2019

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

FrumpleOrz posted:

What the gently caress :stare:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Vargo posted:

Who the gently caress gave you a Guy Gilchrist red-text avatar, what could you ever have done to deserve that?

It's weird for sure.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
But I thought Maria was raised in the same daycare, so how?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

Sweet Jesus. This is Peak Holbrook.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I present to you an example of old Garfield being genuinely good:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

FrumpleOrz posted:

To be fair to Holbrook, I had the same look on my face as in that last panel. What the gently caress.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Green Intern posted:

He did a bunch of art for Homestuck.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well despite that reveal Happy New Year, thread! Everybody celebrate!

The Dinette Set by Julie Larson is about the whitest suburban trash. The characters have names, but they're all so American Psycho-ishly interchangeable it doesn't really matter. The characters are the worst kind of selfish ignorance, and are so well-presented it was a long time before we realized it was supposed to be a laugh-at, not laugh-with.

Working Daze is a garbage comic "written" by John Zakour and drawn by Scott Roberts, and is a long-time contender for "Worst Strip in the Tread". It's a lazy workplace "comedy" mixed with Big-Bang-Theory-level nerd jokes, which is to say they think references are jokes. Spoiler: they are not. In addition, some of the characters have total cosmic powers, and can turn people into objects, turn them to stone, and other stupid poo poo like that.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is from Ruben Bolling, the political cartoonist behind Tom the Dancing Bug. Super-Fun-Pak Comix was originally done as an occasional full page of parodies of newspaper comics, ads, and meta-jokes, and is now split up into a daily comic strip with fillers done by ghost writers.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I get more enjoyment out of Holbrook by just strapping in for the (incredibly stupid) ride rather than hate reading and that was a LOLWTF high point, personally

I hate all the dumb Dethany visual puns and avatar poo poo though, so I usually just skip them as they are incredibly obvious

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

Pretty sure this is why. Don't know who.

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Kudos to the one who called that, you can think like a Holbrook, congrats!

I blame years of reading Kevin and Kell. It's got that soap opera-type hold on me because somehow I am still invested in those characters because for all it's faults, it is a strip where characters grow and change in a way you don't really see in much media. And maybe the fact that they're cartoon animals helps smooth over the more ridiculous parts of the universe that I can't really forgive in Safe Havens.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is a garbage comic "written" by John Zakour and drawn by Scott Roberts, and is a long-time contender for "Worst Strip in the Tread". It's a lazy workplace "comedy" mixed with Big-Bang-Theory-level nerd jokes, which is to say they think references are jokes. Spoiler: they are not. In addition, some of the characters have total cosmic powers, and can turn people into objects, turn them to stone, and other stupid poo poo like that.

Given the prevalence of it I fear that, like with Holbrook and pregnancy stuff, the transformation material in Working Daze is a reflection of a fetish.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Isn't that lady also the time traveler or am I mistaking her for someone else entirely?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vargo posted:

I think I'd also like to introduce the thread to A Problem Like Jamal by Tauhid Bondia. I've been following it since it was added to GoComics back in August, but the backlog goes back a few months. It's a pretty funny strip about a suburban black kid and it addresses race relations and community issues in ways that, say, Baldo is too cowardly to. Here's the first strip I saw, which hooked me:

Oh hey, I used to know this guy way way way way back on 2000-ish era PA forums. Weird how you keep bumping into people!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
She traveled into the future to get a medical degree in space medicine and then back to when she left in the present.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And now for the 5 year storyline of these two trapped in the EcuadorianBangallan embassy.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good Listener posted:

Isn't that lady also the time traveler or am I mistaking her for someone else entirely?

She is. Now have some lazy writeups.

Family Circus, originally created by Bill Keane in 1960, and currently drawn and written by his son Jeff Keane (whom Jeffy is named after) since his death in 2011. Almost always a single panel, except on sundays. Following the perpetual state of never aging life of the Keane family. It's usually bland, but there are some good moments. Like the time Billy wanted to dress up as a Warhammer 40k dude for Halloween.

Rose is Rose, created by Pat Brady in 1984, now drawn by a Don Wimmer since 2004. It started out with a little bit of a weird weight gain thing with Brady, but that was reigned in by the time Wimmer took over the art. It's extremely, EXTREMELY saccharine, to the point of comic hearts and bubbles and the like. And also pretty heavily Christian influenced.

One Big Happy, created by Rick Detorie and launced late in 1988. It's a bit more realistic family life, althought Detorie has started to show his aging boomer side, and tut-tutting "outlandish" looks and views. It was good, but it's started to slip by thread standards.

Foob as it's colloquially known, better known as For Better or For Worse. Started by Lynn Johnston in 1979, it ended officially near the end of 2008. And then went into reruns July 11, 2010. Rewritten/redrawn reruns. Which follow the original storyline. Lynn is, an odd one. Others can tell her stories better than I. The story actually did have the characters age though. And it had actual deaths.

Compu-Toon, to directly quote the entire wiki article, "is a comic strip by Charles Boyce.

Compu-toon was launched in 1994 through Tribune Media Services. At its height, the comic strip ran in about 150 newspapers worldwide from 1994 to 1997 in print form. Since April 23, 2001, it has appeared online via gocomics." Boyce writes an allegedly technology focused strip, and is extremely befuddled by technology. The jokes are usually baffling at best. But sometimes Boyce can actually be surprisingly cogent.

Bizarro, Dan Piraro, 1985. Apparently a friend and colleague took over just last year and none of us ever realized, a guy named Wayne (Wayno) Howath. Piraro still does the Sunday strips. Another single panel comic, that sometimes chastises hipsters and "millenials" while Piraro, well, just look at his picture in his Wiki article.

And finally, Dilbert is the last of my regular dailies. By Scott Adams, 1989. It started out with reader submissions about stories of working in an office. It's vaguely kept up with the times, in that office uniforms have changed. But Adams is. He believes in "The Secret" and is a lovely right wing supporter while claiming to not be. It's certainly a comic.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Yeah, I guess it was well deserved punishment.

At least this is a good reason to finally get a new av. I think I had the silly buffalo for 8 years or so.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Apparently by Playboy cartoonist Bernard Kliban, particularly known for his Cat cartoons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._Kliban
I love Kliban, too bad much of his material is not work safe.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Happy New Year! I (somewhat irregularly) post a couple of UK strips, currently both from the 80s.

The Perishers by Maurice Dodd, started in 1959 as pretty much a British rip-off of Peanuts, and was published in the Daily Mirror from then until 2006 (and is still reprinted there, I believe). By the mid-80s it was in a comfortable rut, and you see repeated themes and situations if you stick with it long enough.

The main protagonists are Wellington, a perpetually poor child living in a disused railway station, and his Old English Sheepdog companion, Boot, who believes he's the reincarnation of a 18th century English lord. There are a bunch of other human and animal/insect characters rounding out the cast. Currently posting strips from 1983, where the artwork is by Dennis Collins. This would be Collins' last year and after this Dodd would both write and draw the strip.

Beau Peep by Roger Kettle and Andrew Christine ran in the Daily Star from 1976-2016 and is a parody of Beau Geste and the usual French foreign legion tropes. It's pretty much a gag-a-day strip with week-ish long situations. The main character is the titular Bert Peep, who ran away from England to the legion to get away from his wife Doris. His usual companion is Dennis, who is even more stupid and inept than Peep. Currently posting strips from 1985.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Ugh. I knew I shouldn't click the link in Kennel's new av, but I did it anyway. Why do we do these things to ourselves?

I guess now is as good a time as any to say, hi, New Thread. I hate Luann, so naturally I post it every day and periodically I type too many words about it. The strip used to revolve around Luann, the most boring girl on Earth, but she eventually got too boring even for the strips writers (one of whom Luann was based on) and it mostly revolves around the side characters these days, though we still check in on Luann at times. One of the key qualities of Luann is the tendency for the characters that we, the readers, are supposed to hate to be the most relateable people in the strip. Of course, the reverse is true for the people we are supposed to like. For example:

The "Shannon" being discussed is a child whose terrible father constantly dumps her on other people as an alternative to raising her. He does this with such alarming frequency that her aunt and uncle-in-law have decided that adding a room onto their home to house her is a sensible option. We are supposed to dislike this near-orphan because she is noisy, opinionated, and energetic. Why couldn't her absentee father teach her any manners???

The blond woman bitching about the taste-level of a kindergartner is Toni, Shannon's aunt. We are supposed to like Toni because she is so, so, pretty, because she is such a martyr for taking such good care of the wretched Shannon (except when she's dumping the kid on Luann with no notice), and because she married a potato. Also, she's better than some little kid at knowing what is and isn't tacky! Take that, Shannon, you IDIOT!

I also sometimes post comments submitted by the community at GoComics because those people have some OPINIONS about Luann and hoooo boy. But not today.

Vargo posted:

I think I'd also like to introduce the thread to A Problem Like Jamal by Tauhid Bondia. I've been following it since it was added to GoComics back in August, but the backlog goes back a few months. It's a pretty funny strip about a suburban black kid and it addresses race relations and community issues in ways that, say, Baldo is too cowardly to. Here's the first strip I saw, which hooked me:

It's already way better than Macanudo. Keep going.

Zereth posted:

Notably, it's also from the current writer of Mark Trail. I think he does the art on Near But Not At Adventure, but somebody else does the art for Mark Trail

The current artist of Mark Trail appears to be Clip Art. But any time Esallen decides to try his hand at it, boy can you tell!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I don't know what Julet Esqu is talking about.

Luann is so good they made a musical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMfkVIUr3ek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Well, if we're posting cursed Luann videos...

(Some of them might require you to go to YouTube and watch them there. I assure you it's not worth it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3vfyZ_O7DQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLb310xIqXA

Please note that both of these are canonically sung by Luann herself, as in the fictional character made the videos in her comic and then the comics told us where to find them online IRL.

This third one, though, this is something special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTIdrPZztgQ

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 2, 2019