Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Vargo posted:

Who the gently caress gave you a Guy Gilchrist red-text avatar, what could you ever have done to deserve that?

Probably the same rear end in a top hat who turned me into Mordock.

Modesty Blaise needs no introduction. If you'd like to read past adventures (and see some loving incredible pictures of Luke Perry), go here: https://transmodiar.imgur.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Holy crap

Re: Woman is.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

StrixNebulosa posted:

I thought about posting old Heathcliff, but no one wants dollar store Garfield.
I would. Because I'm posting back-alley dumpster Garfield.

Today's Garf keeps us up-to-date on the adventures of the fat orange cat created by Jim Davis. These days, it's created by a team of ghost-writers and art imitators (hopefully), and has maybe a hundredth of the charm and spark of the old strips.

Zippy is made by a man who thinks newspaper comics are stupid trash. While the majority of strips posted in this thread would seem to bear that out as a correct assumption, it doesn't really excuse how boring Zippy's attempts to exploit the banality of Americana that it mines from yesteryear are.

And Ripley's Believe It Or Not is maybe the saddest of the strips I post. It celebrated its hundredth year of existence a couple of weeks ago, and while it was once a passionate project involving intercontinental travel and original research, these days it's a farted-out jumble of sub-local-news 'stories of interest' and undisguised tracings. Despite the shoddy treatment of his original strip's legacy, Robert Ripley is, in my opinion, a fascinating character in American history, with a real passion for introducing people to strange and quirky pieces of the world which they would have otherwise never suspected existed; you can read a summary of his life here, or go more in-depth with this 400+-page biography.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Wait, do thermostats actually work that way? I always jack mine up as high as possible and just turn it off when I've decided its warm enough, and even in freezing winter my heating bills are really low.

Transmodiar posted:

Usually I would agree but yikes, you're making this comment on spring grip salmon pink bikini day?

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

The typeset I used is fairly large compared to the one in the original to insure words are readable. Some nuance is occasionally lost in the process.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 2, 2019

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Some Guy TT posted:

Wait, do thermostats actually work that way? I always jack mine up as high as possible and just turn it off when I've decided its warm enough, and even in freezing winter my heating bills are really low.

No, they're on-off switches. Most people set a comfortable temperature and let their thermostat maintain that. If you crank it all the way up and forget to turn it off (as I imagine a child might), then it just stays on making your place warmer than necessary.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Some Guy TT posted:

Your HVAC doesn't put out more heat(or cold) based on the temperature you set; it's the cutoff point for your thermostat to turn the heat/AC off.

Your heating bills are probably low because you're not turning the heat back on as soon as the thermostat would.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Transmodiar posted:

That's definitely not the case.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis is a comic strip about a healthy, happy, well-adjusted married couple in their late fifties / early sixties. You'd think this would be exceptionally boring, but it's one of my favorite comic strips, ever.

It's probably so good because it's quite clear they still gently caress.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

Yes. You set the temperature you want the room to be at, and the the heater runs until it's a bit warmer than that (usually there is an adjustment for how much), then shuts off until it's cooled to a bit colder than that, then turns back on. It's doing what you're doing, only automatically. The set temperature is not the output of the heater, which is going to be quite a bit hotter than that. Which is to say Lynn is correct that setting it higher doesn't heat it faster, it just heats it hotter.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
HAPPY NEW YEAR! But just as importantly, HAPPY PUBLIC DOMAIN DAY! For the first time in decades in America, stuff from an entire year (in this case, 1923) is not only free as in "beer", but free as in "libre". And if you read the type of news I do, you knew about Safety Last and The Prophet and Robert Frost, but come on, what's the name of this thread?

So that's basically what I did on the first day of 2019, going through my sources looking for liberated art. And yeah, I found a few things...

(Terry Gilkison)

Or how about this one? A musical comedy where you have to bring your own music. And now it belongs to you, the people.

(January 16, 1923)

But the best part is when the Harthi Trust digital library unlocked their scans of the 1923 run of the first version of Life Magazine. Because that's where Skippy was born.

What I'm saying is New Year, new Sunday feature. :dance:

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 20, 1931)

Peanuts (January 4, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Oh, Public Domain Day means that the first two years of Out Our Way are out of copyright, too. Not that I'm posting them right now. (October 7-8, 1931)

Thimble Theater (July 11-13, 1935)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 2, 2019

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

EasyEW posted:

HAPPY NEW YEAR! But just as importantly, HAPPY PUBLIC DOMAIN DAY! For the first time in decades in America, stuff from an entire year (in this case, 1923) is not only free as in "beer", but free as in "libre". And if you read the type of news I do, you knew about Safety Last and The Prophet and Robert Frost, but come on, what's the name of this thread?

[...]

What I'm saying is New Year, new Sunday feature. :dance:

I am very much down for a smattering of newly public domain stuff each Sunday. I sincerely appreciate all the work the people who post these old comics do.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Agreed, you're a thread hero EasyEW.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Baldo is a comic about a teenage boy and his family. Like Zits but with an annoying sister.

Beetle Bailey is about some sexually repressed ghosts who don't know they're dead.

Ben is about an old man named Ben. It's generally bland and inoffensive.

Blondie is mostly about the titular character's husband, Dagwood, and his eating disorder.

The Barn is about wacky farm animals. It's mostly bland and inoffensive.

Curtis is about a grumpy old man who acts like an even older man. Also his son.

Dennis the Menace is the exact opposite of menacing.

Dustin is about a man who hates his son.

F-Minus isn't as good as it used to be but is still sometimes good for a smile.

I have no idea what Free Range is about.

Frog Applause is dadaist absurdity.

Cancer Cancerbean is about cancer and alzheimers and cancer.

Fred Basset is delightful.

Heathcliff is lit.

Herb and Jamaal is about a world similar to ours but where brand names must never be mentioned on pain of death.

Hi and Lois is one of those generic zombie strips about a bland, generic family.

Heavenly Nostrils is about a unicorn. Also some humans but they're not important.

Judge Parker is sometimes about bad things happening to rich people and other times it's about spies and arms dealers. The stories have a tendency to drag on a little bit but when it's good it's good.

Lockhorns is about terrible, unhappy people who are bizarrely popular. They have so many friends, despite clearly sucking the life out of whatever room they're in.

Luann is the worst.

Wait, actually, Macanudo is the worst? No, Luann is still the worst.

Mark Trail is a comic about environmentalism and conservation written by a climate change denier and drawn by copying and pasting random bits of old comic strips together.

Mary Worth is fun to edit.

Off the Mark is a comic, I guess?

On the Fast Rack is an earnest attempt to argue that working for a large corporation isn't terrible interspersed with bizarre flights of fancy.

The Pajama Diaries is one of those comics for middle-aged female alcoholics. See also: Between Friends.

The Phantom is forever teasing the possibility of something interesting happening but it never does.

Red and Rover is set in, like, the 1950s or something. I don't know why.

Reply All was once the best comic in the thread.

Rex Morgan MD is about a doctor who just does not a give a single gently caress.

Slylock Fox is about a post-apocalyptic world where some unknown event caused animals to transform both physically and mentally. If you read between the lines, Slylock is definitely having and affair with Cassandra.

Zits is about an incestuous relationship between mother and son.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens FOR gently caress'S SAKE, HOW DOES IT KEEP GETTING WORSE?
The implication that it took a professional geneticist/wizard more than an instant to figure out that two identical DNA samples must be from the same person had me laughing for, like, a solid minute.

:roflolmao:

Manuel Calavera posted:

Foob as it's colloquially known, better known as For Better or For Worse. Started by Lynn Johnston in 1979, it ended officially near the end of 2008. And then went into reruns July 11, 2010. Rewritten/redrawn reruns. Which follow the original storyline. Lynn is, an odd one. Others can tell her stories better than I. The story actually did have the characters age though. And it had actual deaths.
The rewriting/redrawing was only small changes and it only lasted a couple of months. I think someone is still updating old strips to add seatbelts any time they're in a car, but other than that it's all unaltered now.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Manuel Calavera posted:

One Big Happy, created by Rick Detorie and launced late in 1988. It's a bit more realistic family life, althought Detorie has started to show his aging boomer side, and tut-tutting "outlandish" looks and views. It was good, but it's started to slip by thread standards.
This seems unreasonably charitable

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

We really needed that on the first page.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Front page needs the versions of foob with the unsettling blinking

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hm, well I guess I could just pretend like this is still the first page.

Kennel posted:

no even in thumbnail form this is too cruel

What's really jarring about these is that I'm so used to the James version of Nancy, and so reflexively recognize it as a modern update when viewed right next to the Bushmillers, that reading all these months later felt like someone was throwing up a DeviantArt fanfic all over the thread. Even that weird TerryToon Nancy looked more like Nancy than this.

Vargo posted:

A Problem Like Jamal

I can't decide whether the Calvin homage is the argument Jamal is making or the TV show he's angry about. Very Dinette Set moment for me, but I like enough of the rest of it to want to see more.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mobile phones do not work that way!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 10, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 10, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 10, 1987)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey is the best fat ginger cat in a hotly contested field. He does his best, which is all anyone can ever do, although sometimes he might need a helping hand from his best friend billionaire bunny Tetenusagi. There is no spoken dialogue in the strip, just animal noises that I do not translate. Occasionally I will try to provide cultural notes.

Saisen is an offering to the gods/spirits. Offering boxes are fairly common at shrines/temples and even if you're just visiting you're expected to at least throw a few coins. The slatted top of one is what you can see in the first few frames - they make it easy to drop your money in but hard to get back out. It's traditional to visit a shrine at the beginning of the year so that you can pray for what you'd like to happen in the coming year - essentially lodging your new year's resolutions with the spirits - and as part of that offer thanks for any assistance they give you. Obviously the more you bribe the gods with the better returns you'll get.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

This is why so few women have made it to the SCOTUS.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens FOR gently caress'S SAKE, HOW DOES IT KEEP GETTING WORSE?

Wouldn't she have realized years ago when she "did" the older one's genetic profile that they were related?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alterian posted:

Wouldn't she have realized years ago when she "did" the older one's genetic profile that they were related?

Only if she compared it to herself which would be weird, probably

I guess

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Those Modesty Blaise strips are super good for avatars.

Feel free to grab 'em if you want them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

You know what helps out a new year? Remembering to post my comics! I'd resolve to remember to post my comics, but I know I'll forget again, so instead I will resolve to post catch-up posts whenever I need to. This habit is good for me and fun and I'm not going to let a missed day get me down!

Andy Capp

November 21, 1957

"In a manner o' speakin' I DID 'ave a 'olliday this year, Andy was in 'ospital for a couple of weeks."

Heathcliff

... You want old dollar store Garfield? I'll give it a go for a week, but no promises, it's... well, okay. It's better than modern Garfield but not by much.

January 1, 2002 (I can't find any older at the mo)

:kimchi:

Ballard Street

October 8, 2002

Outbursts of Everett True

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

The Bloop posted:

Only if she compared it to herself which would be weird, probably

I guess

Can someone explain what is going on exactly? I haven't been paying attention to that strip aside from the 'x doesn't work like that/that is so stupid' posts.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Can someone explain what is going on exactly? I haven't been paying attention to that strip aside from the 'x doesn't work like that/that is so stupid' posts.

The geneticist/wizard just discovered that her time-travelling friend is actually her daughter from the future.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

The geneticist/wizard just discovered that her time-travelling friend is actually her daughter from the future.

this and also a hundred years of backstory that make that map of Primer look like a straight line

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Tiggum posted:

Which is presumably why Holbrook took the time to make sure baby Maria didn't look black at all!

(yes, that can happen, and my annoyance isn't a value judgement on real people, it's just a kinda racist character decision imo)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

This is why so few women have made it to the SCOTUS.

It took me driving to work and drinking a second cup of coffee, but now I appreciate this very good reference to events that happened 1 million years ago.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Judge Parker

I'm posting Half Full today because I have no idea what the joke is supposed to be. So that's Yoda and R2D2, but Yoda is talking normally and wants to return whatever the pink lumpy stuff is, because...?

Mark Trail

Moose and Molly is about some really warm and cheerful people who don't let other people get in the way of their happiness.

Office Hours is a stark reminder that the past was much worse than the present.

Reply All

Ziggy is the story of a man who never lets the fact that his life is an unending nightmare in which everyone but him is in on the joke get him down. It's inspiring, really.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tiggum posted:

I'm posting Half Full today because I have no idea what the joke is supposed to be. So that's Yoda and R2D2, but Yoda is talking normally and wants to return whatever the pink lumpy stuff is, because...?

Red & Rover time: the pink stuff is the tissue. He wants to return the ugly sweater he's wearing.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis, which, for the record, is from 2005.

A Problem Like Jamal

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I genuinely never noticed Fred Basset before, and having owned a Basset Hound myself for too short a time, I love it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Getting stressed too much while job hunting makes the waiting time for callbacks after applications/interviews more agonizing and makes it more likely nerves will cause you to interview poorly. A good resolution.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vargo posted:

A Problem Like Jamal

These kids are proportioned like Calvin so I think they are <10 but they are in middle school.

Their geriatric faces are even harder to get past

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's definitely a style of its own and I always feel like someone's pasting heads from one comic into a very different one.

What genuinely irrititates me about it is how the timing of the dialogue doesn't go with that of the panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Corto Maltese, Corto catches up with Russia's greatest love machine, or Corto is not very good at object permanence, or The post office are at their wit's end with all the post for Corto