Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Transmodiar posted:

Probably the same rear end in a top hat who turned me into Mordock.

Modesty Blaise needs no introduction. If you'd like to read past adventures (and see some loving incredible pictures of Luke Perry), go here: https://transmodiar.imgur.com/

I first starting reading this thread thanks to the SLUGGO IS LIT banner, and it took me a while to follow Modesty Blaise. At first it looked like some T&A cheesecake stuff with scratchy old art and too much talking, but then I discovered the real fan service: Modesty cracking skulls and wrecking fools.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

I first starting reading this thread thanks to the SLUGGO IS LIT banner, and it took me a while to follow Modesty Blaise. At first it looked like some T&A cheesecake stuff with scratchy old art and too much talking, but then I discovered the real fan service: Modesty cracking skulls and wrecking fools.

Same, and also Corto Maltese.

If there was anyone I wouldn't be too concerned about disappearing in a pool of blood in a Chinese back alley, it's actual Rasputin. Just going to assume he can take care of himself at this point.

This is the actual best thread on SA, thank you goons for your service.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

StrixNebulosa posted:

Heathcliff

... You want old dollar store Garfield? I'll give it a go for a week, but no promises, it's... well, okay. It's better than modern Garfield but not by much.

January 1, 2002 (I can't find any older at the mo)

Actually Gately died/Gallagher took over back in 2001; in other words, this is Modern Heathcliff: The Early Years

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Actually Gately died/Gallagher took over back in 2001; in other words, this is Modern Heathcliff: The Early Years

That's weird, because the comic is signed Gately and the humor is absolutely different from Gallagher's stuff. Maybe he had a lot of backlog?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's weird, because the comic is signed Gately and the humor is absolutely different from Gallagher's stuff. Maybe he had a lot of backlog?

I don't know, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time that a zombie strip has kept the previous author's name on it for a while after their death - especially when the new author is a family member.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2011 Spiderman

2019 Spiderman

Dick Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

ah giant hand tracy has arrived

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Don't think I've ever really heard much about all the supposed drama surrounding FooB's writer beyond that it's been mentioned that a lot of the comic is dragging in stuff from her own life, but every strip I've bothered to read of the comic makes it feel like FooB's writer is the sort of person who feels that having kids and starting a family is what women are supposed to do but also loathes children and raising kids probably made both her and the kids miserable.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zerilan posted:

Don't think I've ever really heard much about all the supposed drama surrounding FooB's writer beyond that it's been mentioned that a lot of the comic is dragging in stuff from her own life, but every strip I've bothered to read of the comic makes it feel like FooB's writer is the sort of person who feels that having kids and starting a family is what women are supposed to do but also loathes children and raising kids probably made both her and the kids miserable.
No, that's pretty much the core of all of it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zerilan posted:

She once put a child out into the freezing Canadian winter and was going to leave them there until their guardian angel told them to let the child in.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zerilan posted:

Yeah, you've pretty much got it down.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I guess it's time to post this in the new thread.

Lynn posted:

Johnston: Yes, and when I had Aaron, he left me, and I didn’t know how to raise a child. And I wasn’t close to my parents, and because I was too proud to go to my parents for help, I mistreated that little baby. I didn’t want a baby. I wanted the stability that a family was supposed to represent. And a baby can’t say, “Thanks, Mom, for feeding me and keeping me warm and dry even though I screamed my lungs out all night last night.” And they want and they want and they want and they want. The only satisfaction you have is that they’re fed and they’re warm and they’re safe and they’re thriving, and they smile at you every once in a while. They’re not going to thank you until they’re 45 [laughter].

I remember once when he was very unhappy and he was screaming and screaming, and I threw him out into a snow bank in his pajamas. This was in Ontario, and it was not warm here. And he put his hands against the window of the front door, pleading to be let in. And I was inside, screaming at him, “If you don’t want to sleep all night, you can friggin’ sleep outside!” And this was a teeny baby. And I don’t know what it was—it was almost like at that moment, my guardian angel put his hand on my shoulder and said, “Open the door.”

The next morning, I called a very good friend of mine who was working at the hospital. I had also been doing some work for this hospital on a freelance basis. And I said to my friend, “I need some help. I don’t known how to parent.” Now, you say to yourself, “I’m a mature adult—I should know how to parent.” But raising a child is not like training a dog. [laughter] I was not a sensible mother. I just didn’t know what I was supposed to do. I didn’t know about time out. I didn’t know to say, “OK, we’re both out of control, let’s have time out for five minutes and calm down.”

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The fact that she loving laughs about it just makes this even worse. Reading Foob after reading that has been a whirlwind because literally every strip is "my children are awful!"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

StrixNebulosa posted:

She once put a child out into the freezing Canadian winter and was going to leave them there until their guardian angel told them to let the child in.

And re-wrote her own son's life in-strip to fulfill her own fantasies of him 1) being straight and 2) marrying his (invented) high school sweet-heart.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

It's really amazing. I mean, anyone can see how horrible that is but now that I have two small children it's spectacularly horrible. I don't want to be that guy, but the amount of love and affection I get from my two year old, and the happy smiles that my 6 month old gives me when she sees me walk into a room are incredibly satisfying. Some people really should not have children and if you can't stand the first one you really should stop there. But she didn't.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Captain_Maclaine posted:

And re-wrote her own son's life in-strip to fulfill her own fantasies of him 1) being straight and 2) marrying his (invented) high school sweet-heart.
IIRC, wasn't the girl comic strip-him married one that real-him watched die in a car accident?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I mean, that's pretty clearly PPD.

e: the rest of it I can't account for not being a lovely person, but PPD is mind poison.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Oh man, could this be it? Dilbert gets laid off and retires to do freelance Wordpress installations and the strip ends there?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Huxley posted:

I mean, that's pretty clearly PPD.

Yeah. We joke about it because she's a spectacularly lovely person to her family in so many other ways, but the baby thing could legitimately happen to anyone. Honestly she deserves some kudos for recognizing that she had a problem and seeking help with it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

We've not seen Sonny's mum and dad for a while, but there they are. Sonny is "of money", but he's nice with it.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 2, 2019

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

For all her theatrics about becoming a different person after the clubhouse burning down, the only real difference between "Lottie" and "Charlotte" I can see is the cape. Which is pretty much on message 100% for her.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

Yeah. We joke about it because she's a spectacularly lovely person to her family in so many other ways, but the baby thing could legitimately happen to anyone. Honestly she deserves some kudos for recognizing that she had a problem and seeking help with it.
I think so too. But I still gain a lot of comedy mileage out of the fact that she continued writing strips where her kids are outside in the snow. It's like Tim Buckley making a hospital comic.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

NRVNQSR posted:

Yeah, for me the baby in the snow thing is the least of it, it's more about re-writing her grown son's life to match her fantasy instead of his reality.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

This is cute.
Norwegian, swedish, or danish?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SubNat posted:

This is cute.
Norwegian, swedish, or danish?

Norwegian.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
"That awful Grote girl"

Them's fightin words

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Isn't that exactly why they stopped using the skull and crossbones as a poison symbol decades ago, and moved to things like Mr. Yuk?

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

I've only just started watching Bojack Horseman but it blows me away how much better that show does "species has characteristic" jokes. Maybe it's because they don't obsessively focus on creepily specific rules about how they're allowed to kill each other, maybe it's because there are also characters and storylines we care about... and even other jokes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"nanotechnology trackers" is such a lame line anyway

like holbrook just say "we planted a bug", then you get an actual panel that resembles a joke

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CannonFodder posted:

"That awful Grote girl"

Them's fightin words
'Diabolical creature' is pretty unflattering as well, to be honest.

I must admit when I first read that strip, way back when it was first published, the implication of 'I foresee her ruining our Christmas dinners for decades to come' completely flew over my head.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Safe Havens is going balls to the walls crazy right now.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

Mary Worth is fun to edit.

It's true.

I completely forgot last year started with Wilbur getting his heart broken.

Then a forgettable Tommy love story.

Finally old man Wynter.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

Isn't that exactly why they stopped using the skull and crossbones as a poison symbol decades ago, and moved to things like Mr. Yuk?

In the US perhaps.
Here in norway it's still very much pirate-juice.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/drob/status/1079883906248134656

Relevant whenever Dustin gets posted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Tunicate posted:

"nanotechnology trackers" is such a lame line anyway

like holbrook just say "we planted a bug", then you get an actual panel that resembles a joke

Panel 1: RL is in the woods. Impostor etc.
-Oh no, that's embarassing for us!

Panel 2: It's okay, it's like he's in prison already and we planted bugs.
-Bugs? More than one?

Panel 3: *A bunch of fleas in fur with smart phones or some poo poo.