Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Let's relive the greatest comic story of 2018!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy used to be a classic comic strip about a lovable little poo poo and her friends. Then it was ruined by the boomers but now it's saved by the millennials. I post both original Bushmillers and the new ones by Olivia James.

Dustin (Reuben Award for Best Newspaper Comic Strip in 2010 and 2017) is a lazy conservative comedy strip that triggers the snowflakes in this thread.

Mandrake is a charmingly stupid adventure strip from a senile old man. The current strips are reruns from 2001.

e. Oh, dear, thanks for the avatar.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 1, 2019

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Haifisch posted:

The Amazing Spiderman

Wow, an actual superhero who can't escape from Spidey's web? What a wimp!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Yeah, I guess it was well deserved punishment.

At least this is a good reason to finally get a new av. I think I had the silly buffalo for 8 years or so.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Fingerpori

-Get out!
-OUT!!
-It was one of those directional meetings.

Fingepori Classic

-Our science department wants 50 million euros for cloning and stem cell research.
-Get out or I'll call police!
-How was is?
-He showed green light.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 3, 2019

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

They might have been married when introduced as characters back in the day.
https://www.markcarlson-ghost.com/index.php/2017/04/10/mary-worth-history/

Yeah
https://joshreads.com/2007/04/metapost-when-ian-met-toby/

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Discendo Vox posted:

I should mention that for years, since first hearing of its history, I have long sought an available archive of Apple Mary, Mary Worth's original incarnation. If any of you have any idea of where I might find one, please let me know!
I suppose the best bet is going through the newspaper archive/microfilms of whatever papers ran it.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Fingerpori

Few years ago:
-Cigarette sales are plummeting!
-Our packages are boring and old-fashioned!
-My brother-in-law will create bold and colorful packages!
-Goodie!

In the year 28:
-Let him who is without sin cast the first stone!
-Jesus!
-Let Jesus cast!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

JethroMcB posted:

X-rated language? I'm going to take this to mean that Jonah just starts screaming very sexual stuff when he gets bad news.

Who doesn't?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Leonardo da Vinci didn't know that Neptune existed!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Hey can anyone help me to identify this strip?

These were published in Finland in 1967-69 under the title "Viljami". So the best guess for the original name would be "William" or something similar.
'

VVVV Thanks!

Kennel fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 6, 2019

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Discendo Vox posted:

What is "desoit"?

"dessert"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Just standing in a street corner munching dozen bananas.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Hah, webcomics thread called it yesterday

Cat Mattress posted:

Ah, finally, the promised Snowsuit Fritzi upgrade!

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 8, 2019

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

ok, that was pretty good technology joke.

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Ok, let's try something you haven't seen before...

The Book

Fältskärns berättelser is a historical novel written by Finnish author and journalist Zachris Topelius. It was published as a serial story between 1853 and 1867. The original work was written in Swedish as the cultural and political elite of Finland was largely Swedish speaking.

The Comic

Välskärin kertomuksia (Finnish name) was published as a daily strip in Helsingin Sanomat between 1956 and 1962. It was drawn by Egon Meuronen who did several other adventure strips during his career 1942-65. While he was quite productive cartoonist back then, I had actually never heard of him or any of his strips so not really a household name nowadays.

Is it good? Is it boring? I have no idea, let's find out!

The setting: Thirty Years' War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Breitenfeld_(1631)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustavus_Adolphus_of_Sweden
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Tserclaes,_Count_of_Tilly

I try to keep the pace at two strips/day.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Forktoss posted:

Are you familiar with Kari Suomalainen's adaptation of the story? It looks very Prince Valiant-y and interesting, too.

Nope, but the local library has a copy so I guess I'll check that one out.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Ostrobothnia (Pohjanmaa) marked in red. Note that in 1632 an idea about "Finland" as a united sovereign nation didn't exist and these provinces were just a sparsely populated and poor Swedish periphery with the peasants speaking a weird language. Meanwhile the book was written during the rise of the Finnish nationalism and Topelius was one of the key players building the national identity.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Thirty Years' War started as a war between Catholics and Protestants and although there was a lot of politics involved, the sides were generally divided by their faith.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Outbursts of Everett True

I'd think twice before brutalising someone who regularly handles a big knife near my throat.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Andy Capp

December 2, 1957 (he skipped December 1st, eh?)

That was Sunday. :ms:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

With help of an online dictionary, I think that the Latin bubble says: "Cursed Finns! You will burn in eternal fire!"

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

PetraCore posted:

What's his Stand?

Probably a spider.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

The incident in Demmin gets mentioned again in few days and apparently 70 Finns held against overpowering enemy. I couldn't find anything else from the other sources (btw. I'm not a historian and not very well-versed to Finnish history under Sweden so a lot of these footnotes are a result of quick googling and recalling stuff we had in elementary school).

I guess this is a good time to note that the book is framed as the narrator recalling the stories he heard from an old military surgeon as a child (hence the title). The surgeon himself was born in the late 18th century so the tales are a retelling of a retelling of a retelling. Additionally the prologue hints that the surgeon might be quite unreliable narrator even when talking about his own life, so take these stories as a heroic epic rather than a historically accurate reports.

Nancy

Dustin

Kennel fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 13, 2019

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Fok_It

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Thanks for the exposition, Your Majesty!

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Cudgel war (1596-1597) was a peasant uprising that was tied to the conflict between Sigismund (king of Sweden and Poland) and his uncle Duke Charles (the father of Gustavus Adolphus, the king in our story). The Finnish peasant forces were crushed by the nobility but Sigismund eventually lost the crown of Sweden to Charles.

The book tells that Perttilä's father supported Charles and was granted four farms/houses that made him a rich man.

Klaus Fleming was the leader of the Finnish nobility's troops in Cudgel War. Here's one of my favorite paintings: Duke Charles insulting the body of Klaus Fleming (Albert Edefelt, 1878)

(he is pulling his beard)

Tomorrow: a new chapter and new characters!

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Pastry of the Year posted:

That is really pleasingly animated.

Quite impressive that it managed to do that while still keeping up the (rather stiff) look of comic.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Man, aren't Finns just the best?

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 17, 2019

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

I'm going to jail!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mikl posted:

And Gene continues to be a really good kid.

Now imagine the same scenario in Dustin.