Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Some Guy TT posted:

That's right, back by popular demand, from viewers like you! Not literally viewers like you. What I mean is, Dharma comics have been popular on South Korean internet message boards over the last few years. It took me awhile to find a digital source for the new one because most search engine results assume you want the old ones. Sports Dongah probably considers a feature, not a bug, since it incentivizes people to buy their newspaper. Hence why they gave Park Seong-hoon a contract to write a revival last summer.

Three new characters are introduced by name here in Dharma's new office, which is otherwise mostly the same as the old office. The names are all obvious puns, so for the sake of consistency I'm also giving English language pun names to It's All Right Chief Dharma characters too now, even though those puns tended to be a lot more subtle. Dharma is already a pun (it's not a standard Korean name) on account of being a loan word, so that one doesn't need to be changed.

A HERO ARISES FOR 2019! I always enjoy your comics, thanks for translating and posting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i wasn't even aware toby and the professor got married, when did that happen?

They might have been married when introduced as characters back in the day.
https://www.markcarlson-ghost.com/index.php/2017/04/10/mary-worth-history/

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I'm the despicable, raunchy pasha, Pasha Ronchi.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Huxley posted:

I like the implication that Washington, specifically, didn't know about dinosaurs when you could say the same thing about anyone who died before the early 19th century.

He died never knowing any jokes about Big Bone Lick. :ohdear:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

goatface posted:

How old is he meant to be? From character body design I'd say ~6-8.

You mean Uncle Hiram? Might be a little older than that.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
You always wanted something like this as a reaction comic, right? Especially when Intelligent Life sucks worse than usual?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

My Lovely Horse posted:

We've all seen Fargo, this can hardly come as a surprise.

Old Greedy Bishop is my favourite 17th century rapper.

OGB would never betray the secrets of the Wurzburg Tang Clan

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

StrixNebulosa posted:

I cast thee out, depression!

Outbursts of Everett True

The idea that Mr. and Mrs. True have two kids is absolutely amazing. I don't ever recall them appearing in print.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Johnny Walker posted:

The art is horrible and off-putting, but the writing is actually good so it wound up winning me over. I think that's true of a lot of people here.

True for me as well, the art's pretty bad in many cases but I like the writing.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Where does Grand Moff factor in?

One of the many titles of the Dear Leader of North Korea

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I like looking up things mentioned by old comics...I think that the "Milk Fund benefit" and Willard Johnson was a boxing match of Willard vs. Johnson at Yankee Stadium.
http://www.espn.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3600048

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Transmodiar posted:

Don't threaten us with your lovely webcomic unless you want "Oh Baby," "Sylvia," and "Herb and Jamal" brought back for mutually assured destruction.

Don't forget "Girls and Sports" and "Scorer"!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Pastry of the Year posted:

Chief / Boss Dharma is one of the best comic strip characters of all time and we have our own Some Guy TT to thank for bringing him to English language speakers.

Mother From Another Country is also great, especially the art. Props to Some Guy TT.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Not getting a joke here...

"Shelby has four distinct seasons, and is considered an arid climate. Long, severe winters give way to springlike weather anywhere from March to May. Summers can be extremely dry and hot, though it is not unusual to experience a snow flurry in July. The area is prone to heat, lightning, hail, and severe thunderstorms during the summer months. Fall weather is often unpredictable, with snow falling during October some years, and temperatures well into the 80s stretching until the end of November on other years. Due to the city's location just off of the Rocky Mountain Front, wind is a constant. "

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Powered Descent posted:

Perhaps he worked on the F-35 program and hates to see it get savaged in the press.
Or he's into Elton John music and can't stand criticism of it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its that arrow between 2/5 and 8 11 that messes you up. That led to me trying to read

1 4 2 5 3 6 7 10 8 11 9 12

That same powerful logic gave a thread in GBS the name HONK JESUS HONK IF U SAVES IF U LOVE LOVE JESUS JESUS JESUS

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I'm the unknown lake in the picture on the right

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Bloop posted:

Does a lady phantom wear a bra on the outside or just the stripey underbritches

No and yes

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

The white rabbit is awesome. :kimchi:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

Edge of Pop Culture Reference

Can't you just feel the labored "Wilhelm scream" gag being hoisted into place?

Didn't he have a long and laborious Wilhelm scream joke involving a clown named 'the great wilhelm' who only screamed?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

Nekonaughey delivers! Rabbit is awesome.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Coatlicue posted:

This is a literal masterpiece.

Littoral also

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

Their friendship is just amazing

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Haifisch posted:

Yeah, I'd hope Lowtax would give a "the forums will be dead forever as of this date" warning, but it's good to have backup plans ahead of time.

I hadn't heard this, what's the source?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Tunicate posted:

The Princess Planet

Panels 3 - 5 are awesomely over the top, especially the shoes in #5

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

Schwedge of Adventure

I'm invested already, it's not often that a guy dies and then comes back as a rhinoceros. Even the jeebus couldn't pull that one off.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

Lutha Mahtin posted:

did the bunny just knock that guy's lights out? :eyepop:

Pretty sure he laid down a rabbit punch on the obnoxious bear.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Skippy (November 19, 1931)

Peanuts (April 13, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Fleshlight Lane

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (May 26-28, 1932)

Thimble Theater (November 5, 1935)

And now, Dok's Dippy Finale (November 22-24, 1923)

So. Let's talk about Dok Hager for a sec.

Before he was a cartoonist, John Ross Hager (1858-1932) was a dentist, and made a pretty lengthy career before taking up professional cartooning in his middle age. As we mentioned before, his longest running character was the Umbrella Man, a guy who illustrated the daily weather report, and originally the duck was his sidekick before he was spun off into his own strip in 1912. The duck was so popular for awhile that some dude in a duck costume was hired to do comedy routines while people in the public square were waiting for election returns.

We came in on the duck's tail. Dok was 65 years old in 1923, and his eyes were going on him. Presumably it wouldn't be too bad an idea to lighten the load of a guy who had failing vision and two daily strips going, so the Kid retired his star billing and went back to second-banana status on the front page. But even the Umbrella Man's days were numbered, and by 1925, Dok had retired completely.

So that's the end. But if you paid attention to those dates, we never actually got to the beginning. Obviously we gotta do something about that. But that's going to require some prep work, so watch this space.

:siren: :siren: COMING SOON: THE BEGINNING OF DUCK DIPPINESS AS WE KNOW IT :siren: :siren:

Thanks for all the work finding and showing this comic, I really enjoyed it!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ghostlight posted:

Classic Cat

Wanna buy that cat a butter grater / spreader
https://www.amazon.com/Butter-Knife-Magic-Stainless-Spreadable/dp/B00QU473AK

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Martina's Mom: Baba Yaga.

Martina is the kid with progeria who cracks all her ribs trying to catch a nerf ball.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Burt Reynolds impersonating Loni Anderson

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

:drat: Management are brutal

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

EasyEW posted:

Diamond Dick is a dime novel character, and thus a perverter of morals and uprightness. Mother is consigning it to the flames where it belongs, and later will probably force march him through Pilgrim's Progress again.

Now, of course, Diamond Dick is a Penguin Classic, which only shows how debased we are in the modern world.

Diamond Dick was the Man

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

TofuDiva posted:

Also this seemed like a thing that should happen

You beat me to it. :kimchi:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

What makes Boss Dharma great is that it's both funny and hosed up that Taku gets used like that.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Some Guy TT posted:

Surprisingly timely reference this, a white woman popping up on the street insisting that foreigners invade to save her presumably non-white-majority homeland from tyranny and give them freedom.

I didn't think that Rachel Dolezal was still relevant in any way, but here she turns up in The Phantom.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

RIP, little cart, you were the basis of a magnificent saga that will live for ages.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Tiggum posted:

Judge Parker

Reply All

Why not?

I like Norton, I'm glad to see him and April skulking about the edges of the storyline.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Huxley posted:

Of all the men he's "clearly killed" this one stands out as a man he has CLEARLY killed.

True, that oar is really embedded in the guide's skull. I'm surprised that there aren't some happy fish in the picture enjoying ET wasting the guy.

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 3, 2019