Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News is about three cats that report the daily events of their household as if they are local news anchors. It can be extremely clever and funny, but it can also be incredibly cloying and cutesie. The storylines are particularly frustrating, as they suffer from being originally published in webcomic form and adapted to newspaper comic format. However, when it's on its game, it packs more gags per panel than most of the comics in this thread.

Phoebe and her Unicorn (originally Marigold Heavenly Nostrils) about a little girl whose best friend is a unicorn, and everyone pretty much just rolls with it. Sometimes it can get into subjects like depression without being heavy-handed about it. Most of the time it's a very solid strip, but occasionally the writer gets laxy and just makes the punchline "Unicorn!"

Wallace the Brave is the best comic in this thread. Dude who makes it also a super-nice guy, go visit him in Rhode Island.

Curtis is... well, why don't I let the official description that totally wasn't written by the guy who writes Curtis tell you all about it:

The official Comics Kingdom description of Curtis posted:

Curtis details the day-to-day life of a close-knit contemporary African-American family living in the inner city. It is a comic work that does not fit easily in any category. Though it mainly features children, it is not necessarily “child-themed.” It can be humorous, thought-provoking, topical in subject and have bursts of pure zany fantasy.

Sometimes falling victim to censoring, Curtis is best welcomed by those modern free-thinkers who appreciate it for the work of art it is. It is often called "The Thinking-Man’s Strip,” for its witty approach, satire and use of storylines with an unexpected twist.

Veteran cartoonist Ray Billingsley uses his own childhood of growing up in New York’s Harlem in a tight-knit family as the template for Curtis. Some of the experiences and featured characters throughout are directly influenced by real people and happenings the author has known and experienced.

At the end of each year, Billingsley celebrates Kwanzaa with a completely original fable that is always completely different from any Curtis theme. Anti-smoking gags, along with gentle teasing of the hats the church ladies adorn themselves with, are always eagerly anticipated. Even the superhero genre is satirized through Curtis’ favorite hero, SuperCaptainCoolMan, which is a strip within a strip. Curtis has been long praised by community leaders and educators for its sensitive portrayal of urban life and family values. Billingsley is eagerly sought after by up-and-coming artists who are inspired by his style and craft and seek his advice and guidance.

(The comic is in reruns this week, normally the art looks way less Mad Magazine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Hell yeah, new thread, new gently caress-up, here's your dang Wallace

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

I think I'd also like to introduce the thread to A Problem Like Jamal by Tauhid Bondia. I've been following it since it was added to GoComics back in August, but the backlog goes back a few months. It's a pretty funny strip about a suburban black kid and it addresses race relations and community issues in ways that, say, Baldo is too cowardly to. Here's the first strip I saw, which hooked me:

Here's the first couple of strips from when the comic first started back in June, it was added to GoComics about two months later. It posted a 3-a-week schedule so if I post multiple in a day, it should get us caught up pretty quick. Not a big block like this, but like 2-3 a day:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Kennel posted:

Wow, an actual superhero who can't escape from Spidey's web? What a wimp!

Who the gently caress gave you a Guy Gilchrist red-text avatar, what could you ever have done to deserve that?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis, which, for the record, is from 2005.

A Problem Like Jamal

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

NRVNQSR posted:

Yeah. We joke about it because she's a spectacularly lovely person to her family in so many other ways, but the baby thing could legitimately happen to anyone. Honestly she deserves some kudos for recognizing that she had a problem and seeking help with it.

Yeah, for me the baby in the snow thing is the least of it, it's more about re-writing her grown son's life to match her fantasy instead of his reality.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Someone buy them a forums account.

Oh, who am I kidding, they're definitely already here.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

bonus Pearls Before Swine

Curtis

A Problem Like Jamal

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I think Jamal's artwork gets a lot better when it switches to color versions permanently, which should be in a few strips.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

The Bloop posted:

I'll look forward to it, but even in the color strip with the lemonade stand the kid looks 90. The artist is clearly talented, it's just a very strange and off-putting character design.

Honestly, I agree and it's what kept me from posting it when I discovered it six months ago, but there's a storyline coming up that I think is worth getting into, if nothing else but as a good contrast to some other strips in this thread. So maybe I'll just get through that and see what the consensus is.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Glorified Scrivener posted:

So it's still :justpost: right?

Sam's Strip is a short lived strip from the early 1960's. It's about comic strips. It was by Mort Walker (Beetle Bailey, Hi and Lois) and Jerry Dumas (Sam and Silo). The main characters in this were re-booted into Sam and Silo in 1977, without the meta-humor.

Foxtrot is a favorite of mine, though I managed to never live anywhere a paper carried it until it went Sunday only. Let's start back at the beginning.

This is a good post! I am definitely looking forward to Ye Olde Foxtrot!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Hey, I just wanna make sure this little guy doesn't get left behind in the last thread:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

A Problem Like Jamal

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

EasyEW posted:

Here's the random thing of the day: Dok's Dippy Duck. John "Dok" Hager was the house cartoonist for the Seattle Daily Times. This is a feature kept popping up for a decade and some change beginning in 1912, in addition to the lead duck being a sidekick in the front-page weather cartoon. (March 19-21, 1923)

Please provide more of this wonderful dippy duck.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

A Problem Like Jamal

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

uhhh Baldo

Wallace

Curtis

A Problem Like Jamal

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I'm pretty excited for nu-Oop, I generally like Joey Allison Sayers and the new art looks nice as well.

BCN

BC with special guest and friend of the thread

The Original Title of the Strip

Wallace

Curtis

A Problem Like Jamal

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Mars, You Say?

Curtis

A Problem Like Jamal

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

CommonShore posted:

I think we're getting milkshake ducked here

These ducks sure do love segregation, not gonna lie.

BCN

(Tommy loving killed me today.)

Phoebe

gently caress you, it's Baldo

Wallace

Curtis, there's a difference between a running gag and flat-out making the same joke all week.

A Problem Like Jamal

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Wallace

Curtis

A Problem Like Jamal

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Has Holbrook ever brought in any hippo characters? Those are the most vicious "prey" animals I can think of.

Enjoy the ever-elusive good Wumo

also enjoy this Wumo that I found while looking for that one. Reading it gave me a stroke.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
God I hate Close to Home, like looking at it makes me physically ill. Something about those blobs causes a visceral reaction for me.

BCN

Phoebe and probably some kinda fetish

BC

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

a particularly cute Mutts

A Problem Like Jamal

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

shortspecialbus posted:

I like A Problem Like Jamal

The faces are slightly weird but whatever, I got used to them. I'm interested to see where it goes, the plots and jokes so far have been pretty solid and are a perspective I certainly don't get myself, and Curtiss doesn't really try. It's less hamfisted than Baldo, which is the only other comic I can think of off the top of my head that focuses at all on racial issues.

We are about to get into the storyline that prompted me to start posting it, mainly in stark contrast to how Baldo fumbled the same subject.

EDIT: I've also wondered if the "old man faces" are an intentional artistic decision by Bondia, referencing how often black and brown children are "aged up" by the media and law enforcement, 12-year old children like Tamir Rice being referred to as if they were grown men, and treated like we should fear them like you would an adult, etc.

Vargo fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 11, 2019

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

A Problem Like Jamal

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
The lovely independent comic company in Funky Winkerbean is going to color their comic with the old zip-a-tone patterns (although it looked like it was all on a tablet?) and their retro-style bullshit is going to be a big hit and make them famous comic writers and possibly land them a movie deal.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Jamal

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wizard of Id

My very favorite Cul de Sac

Wallace

Curtis

Jamal

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

The Adventures of Chickenmouth

A Problem Like Jamal

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

A Problem Like Jamal

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Evil Mastermind posted:

One of the things I love about Wallace is how both the parents are dorks in their own, very believable ways.

This is also one of the things I like about Phoebe, too. There was a recent strip about Marigold and Phoebe's dad trying to explain to Phoebe the concept of Geocities, and that is amazing to see alongside Curtis' dad, who is apparently a Saturday morning cartoon dad from 1993.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

A Problem Like Jamal

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

The Bloop posted:

What newspaper is this printed in?

Not that I'm complaining

I don't think it is, officially, yet. Universal Press uses GoComics as kind of a farm-league system for their syndication arm. The publishers find comics they like, host them on GoComics for a while to expose them to a bigger audience, and then if the response is good, they make the big-league newspaper syndication deal. That's what happened with Wallace, Phoebe, and BCN. Conversely, some poo poo like Pibgorn and Reddick's other comic seems to just languish on GoComics forever.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Endless Mike posted:

Jesus Christ

(Also that Wallace is really good)

I was really sad to overshadow one of my favorite Wallace strips with that Jamal. Maybe I should have posted them separately.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Ye Olde Foxtrot 04/22/88 - Siskel and Ebert give "Flesh Eaters from Hell" Two Thumbs Up, but disagreed on "Bondage Zombies from Mars"

Holy poo poo, that opening panel throwaway gag.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Darthemed posted:

Adding color to black and white films was seen as an atrocity by some people.

Well, that, and the box is thinking "there goes the neighborhood" when that film is put on the shelf because the "coloreds" moved in

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

A Problem Like Jamal

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

davidspackage posted:

All of you self-spoiling fools are missing out on the angst I get from one Jamal a day.

I'm probably going to do one a day for about a week because I think this story is best experienced one at a time and then go back to posting them in blocks until we catch up to the present, which shouldn't be too long.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

NRVNQSR posted:

Timing is whatever, but why are you putting the strips in spoiler tags? If you're trying to protect people from trauma triggers I'm pretty sure that only really works if you tell them what triggers are present in the spoiler.

Honestly, it was just for dramatic effect on these two strips, because they were hotly anticipated and tense. It wasn't intentionally for trauma triggers, but if it served that purpose, that's a bonus. I'll probably stop doing it tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Vargo fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 19, 2019