Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Kudos to the one who called that, you can think like a Holbrook, congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember, did these newspaper comics threads start up as FOOB-"appreciation" threads, or am I mixing their origins up with how the politoon threads started as some dummy's unironic appreciation thread for Mallard Fillmore?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

These are the kind of facial expressions you find in parodies of geek comics. This is so terrible in every way possible.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think it's weird for someone in the 18th century to not know about birds, but what do I knowbelieve or not.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If Maria stayed around in hopes of unmaking the universe due to the time-space paradox then she'd be my favorite character. But since she did it because she already knew she did and nothing bad happened then she's still as bad as everyone else.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pancho Jueves posted:

A preview of the next couple weeks of Safe Havens:

"... but I will anyhow!"

You forget, in Holbrook-verse you have to over-explain all the technomagic to fool the writer into thinking their bullshit makes sense.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Transmodiar posted:

Don't threaten us with your lovely webcomic unless you want "Oh Baby," "Sylvia," and "Herb and Jamal" brought back for mutually assured destruction.

"if you poo poo up this thread we'll poo poo it up even more" isn't a very effective threat.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Transmodiar posted:

You must be new to this thread.

No, I just remember how stupid the threat always is (hint, there's a reason you guys always end up posting those terrible comics, it's because the people prompting you to do it want you to).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How about Creep A and Creep B from Cult Hit The Creeps™?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The door? Like a peasant? :doom:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

The Amazing Spiderman

That's some powerful gas!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kennel posted:

But what was inside the very first KitKat?

Damaged products of something that was almost, but not quite, a KitKat.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Currently the only opera I've ever watched (well, not exactly an opera, it was just the singing mostly) was Don Quixote, and it was awesome! I especially liked whoever was singing Sancho's lines, because I remember he did very lively emoting.

(also you'd think Ed would love Don Quixote, seeing how much time he spends tilting at windmills)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FrumpleOrz posted:

I'm actually surprised there aren't more Calvin & Hobbes rip-offs out there, considering its popularity, especially in comparison with the number of Far Side rip-offs.

I can think of three off the top of my head - Frazz, that lovely one you can find in the poltoons thread, and the one with the name I don't remember that has the precocious girl with the horse pal (although IIRC the comic isn't always about her?).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tendales posted:

As far as I know, the Dolly plotline was the only time Holbrook broke from his policy of keeping at least 2+ weeks ahead on work. When the news of successful cloning came out, he just go so excited that he interrupted his planned storyline to do some ripped-from-the-headlines stuff. Why was this the only event to ever require immediate attention? Who the gently caress knows.

Seems pretty obvious to me. Animals + actual genetics science rather than the DNA magic from Safe Haven.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

"3.2ghz cell processor with 3 dual-threaded cores, 1.8 TFLOPS, 256mb XDR..."
"Light bloom, floating point frame buffers, volumetric effects, high dynamic range rendering..."

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

I suspect the raid was Jordan's idea; he seems like the kind of guy who's watched Animal House and/or Revenge of the Nerds too many times. Alex, on the other hand, seems like the kind of guy who'd go along just to feel like part of the group. Tuan, of course, didn't participate because that kind of thing is beneath his dignity.

Both Alex and Jordan were assholes from the start. Alex's questions in his introduction were terrible and creepy.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure the one responsible is the one posting 9CL.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

Is it just me or has literally every family with two or more children had an incident like this?

You mean in comics? Cause I can guarantee it's not universal IRL.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just like how it's a given that there's only one Doug on that dating website.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He shouldn't date Chutney just because she likes him, but he totally should stop stalking/harassing Michelle.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

True he should date her because she's nice, smart, cute as a button, and likes him.

But that would end a century long running gag/ set piece

If he doesn't like her that way then it doesn't matter how great she is.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I didn't notice him ever be particularly easily offended, but I guess it's hard to tell when he can't turn people to stone, or into various animals/inanimate objects or simply poof them out of existence.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The real question is who invited Mallard Fillmore??

Trick question - he crashed the party

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Wow, take that one little bit from the Simpsons Planet of the Apes musical, strip it of everything that made it funny or even bearable to watch, and you'd still get something better than the above!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Kevin & Kell Klassic

So how long does it take him to realize that the forum was just a herbivore honeypot so predators can easily track them for eats?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
No no, they're not an interracial couple, they're a vegan and a cannibal! Oh those whacky people with their ca-raaazy diets!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget the strip where the Still Living Nomad inner-monologued about how he'd spent his whole life trying to destroy the US only for it to destroy itself (by voting in Trump). The Phantom writer definitely has opinions.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

he's not wrong

If you were a real leftist you'd know that the US was destroying itself long before Trump took office.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

Oh no, Holbrook forgot to mention he's removing the signal delay! The comic isn't entirely scientifically accurate anymore!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe if she J'accuses the plane it'll flip backthe right way and land them safely out of shame.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Whoops, Marigold's speech bubble is pointing the wrong way in that last panel.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Holbrook "hijacking" an actual IRL research project to explore Mars and made it about his characters?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If Mars is sentient, just have a whole host of sentient planets and spacefaring aliens that also have a planet-adoption agency. It's so easy!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hostile V posted:

Mars also has a loving mass driver array and pretty good aim so it should just protect its own drat self by threatening to bomb Earth back to the stone age. It's not a pretty or nice solution but it's markedly less stupid.

But that doesn't solve the problem of 'how do I get Genemancer What's-her-name a planet-child?'

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

Being mind controlled by a bug could only improve Jordan’s personality.

That's how the gang'll be able to tell something's wrong.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

idgi, and I'm pretty sure it's not about sex so help me out here

I'm pretty sure it is about sex. If an asteroid's about to hit, may as well go out with a bang, right? :heysexy:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RandomPauI posted:

I mean, I'm going to miss Beatrix, but The Woman is right! The bookstore needs a cat, and Beatrix is the best cat!

I'm reminded of the relatively recent Library Cat saga that happened in real life. You can read about it in this article aptly named 'Library cat outlasts councilman that wanted him gone'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Wow that's the exact rationalization I thought they'd give. Maybe I should be a "merchandising consultant"!