Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Chief Dharma's back!

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave is the best comic in this thread. Dude who makes it also a super-nice guy, go visit him in Rhode Island.

That's a second Phoebe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens FOR gently caress'S SAKE, HOW DOES IT KEEP GETTING WORSE?

To be fair to Holbrook, I had the same look on my face as in that last panel. What the gently caress.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

EasyEW posted:

HAPPY NEW YEAR! But just as importantly, HAPPY PUBLIC DOMAIN DAY! For the first time in decades in America, stuff from an entire year (in this case, 1923) is not only free as in "beer", but free as in "libre". And if you read the type of news I do, you knew about Safety Last and The Prophet and Robert Frost, but come on, what's the name of this thread?

[...]

What I'm saying is New Year, new Sunday feature. :dance:

I am very much down for a smattering of newly public domain stuff each Sunday. I sincerely appreciate all the work the people who post these old comics do.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Glorified Scrivener posted:

I wanted to pick up one more strip and I settled on Tarzan. I know it will have some problematic content, but I love the old adventure strips. The GoComics archives starts in media res with a 1971 story called "Cult of the Mahar" and I just can't get enough of these goofy looking evil psychic Pterosaurs from hollow earth. I mean, look at that face:

Anyway, I did find a source for the full story, so let's start at the beginning.

Tarzan

Oh, interesting! I have to admit, I've never read the original Tarzan stories, so when I picked up Tarzan vs Predator I was surprised when these guys showed up. I'm looking forward to it! Also glad to see Foxtrot, I know there's a lot I've never seen.

Edit:

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

But... you knew that you were going to be born on this trip, and it doesn't sound like you knew what was going to happen. For all she knows, her being there when this happened could have torn reality asunder.

catlord fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 6, 2019

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Kennel posted:

Ok, let's try something you haven't seen before...

Looks interesting, I'll definitely be following this one.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Yeah, I'm also liking A Problem Like Jamal. It's good.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Man, Arlo and Janis is really loving good and I can't believe it took this long to discover this.

Edit: By which I mean it's been around for so long and even when I got papers that ran it, I think I skipped it when I was a kid.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Green Intern posted:

I am actually kinda scared that Jamal is going to kill off the mom.

Yeah, when Vargo mentioned a storyline, I really started to worry about the brother. This comic's good.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze discovers the transparency tool.

What's up with the pigeons (ignoring the fact that they're just floating there because there's no way there's a windowsill there)? gently caress this looks terrible.

Also, do you think Holbrook has any idea how gross this storyline is? I feel like he generally has his heart in the right place even if his metaphors are all kinds of hosed, but surely there's no way he could have looked at this and said 'yes, this is a good and heroic thing to do.'

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 26, 1997)

You loving tell him, Gene.

Between Jamal and A&J Classic I've been finding the thread very melancholic lately.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 27, 1997)

drat, Gene just going for the throat there. One thing I think that A&J does really well is expressions, especially since they're only a couple lines and a half circle or two, but they manage to be incredibly telling.

Also, Jamal :( I moused over a spoiler so I knew it was coming, but drat.

Johnny Walker posted:

The art is horrible and off-putting, but the writing is actually good so it wound up winning me over. I think that's true of a lot of people here.

That's what happened with me. As my avatar notes, at some point the art wrapped around from bad to charming for me.

Oh, and what is up with that On The Fastrack?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Is there a point to this? Is something going to happen to this guy, or is it just a random rude guy on the plane and when they all get off that's all there is to it? Maybe he's going to have a heart attack? Why introduce the kid sitting next to Rex, too?

Is it just me or does this seem really familiar to anyone else? Is this a rerun? Did another strip do a similar storyline?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

Having Retail’s characters in the background is an insult to the much better strip.

Also what is with the angle of the last panel?

Poor Cooper got the worst of it I think. I'm pretty sure this is a super early one, it doesn't look as... streamlined as the current stuff. I'm not even going to touch the nightmare perspective.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Which Modesty Blaise story was the one with the elephant? That was the first one I read

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

There are several. If it was an older one, it might be MB25 - The Bluebeard Affair but if it was more recent it might be MB55 - The Return of the Mammoth but there are several other stories in which Chloe the Elephant makes an appearance, I believe.

I think it was The Bluebeard Affair, thanks! Death by elephant is what caught my eye after scrolling past it for far too long.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I just want to appreciate the line "they didn't return to the Earth! They went through my folks' patio!"

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Gunther is the absolute loving worst. It gets brought up again and again, but it's astonishing how much more likeable the supposedly unlikeable characters are. poo poo, Les got to nearly suggest a threesome! In a newspaper comic! That alone makes him a thousand times more interesting that every single other character in the strip.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I don't know if "NO. VERY BAD." or "Mum's not very good at ticking the right boxes on websites" is the standout for this one, but I love it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I'm... not sure Everett True understands picnics.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I don't normally comment on Out Our Way because it tends to be good and most of the little historical bits get explained so I don't need to ask, but this was a pretty good batch.

Although, as much as I like Out Our Way, I tend to skip the factory ones.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

I don't think we have a smilie that encompasses the "fuuuuuuuck yooou" I want to express.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Zereth posted:

Wait what loving holiday about chocolate does Cyber Death have

I'd assume Halloween?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Mikl posted:

Laughed out loud at both of these. Wallace especially.

That Wallace is a rerun, but I'm ok with it because it's one of my favourite ones.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Is James Allen trying to claim he can sit among them? Is he delusional about his abilities (don't answer that)? In almost any other case I'd probably read something like this as a nice, if somewhat misguided, homage, but this just comes off as total wank.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Vargo posted:

All Wallaces are reruns for the foreseeable future, they started the strip over from the beginning when it got syndicated. They haven't been following exact order though, so no idea when new strips start up again. Will Henry has said that he has enough of a backlog of old and new stuff saved up that he doesn't actually need to draw any new Wallaces until at least 2020, so he's working on taking care of his newborn and developing another project right now involving Schwaps, the superhero comic Wallace reads in-universe.

Oh, I hadn't realised though I'm sure it got mentioned. Good on him.

Vargo posted:

You know that's exactly what it is. James Allen has always thought he's bringing back the spirit of the greats. Gilchrist did too. gently caress them both.

Yeah... are we still in the four elements thing he was doing? Because I remember that being reacted to with some... incredulity.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

Seriously, 99% of the men introduced in this are terrible people. I feel like I missed something, I can not remember where Romano came from, but Abigail should have pitched his rear end out the window way before now.

Also, were some strips missing, or was there really no real resolution to the story with the decent guy who tried to do good and ended up in the hospital for it?

Edit: Oh, and I'm glad to see Mopsy back!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

He is a cab driver. He drove her in a cab one time. He has a thing for nurses. As far as I can tell, this really is the extent of their relationship. He drove her in a cab once and has a crush on her, thus he can exercise complete control over her career choices.

loving yikes.

Edit: vv Thanks! It still seems pretty abrupt, but I guess that Sunday must have wrapped things up a bit. I hope we see them again, I kinda liked them.

catlord fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 17, 2019

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Footrot Flats is interesting, but it probably makes more sense to AustraliansNew Zealanders (sorry) because half the time I have no idea what anybody's saying. Also, I meant to ask about what I'm assuming is the cattle trap but it slipped my mind, thanks for mentioning it, Ghostlight.

catlord fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 17, 2019

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Luxrage posted:

That bottom left fridge comic really drives my thinking home that The Lockhorns has some of the best art in the papers for how simple it is; I can't think of many other strips that would try composition like that.

The Lockhorns is way better than you'd expect for having a Super Fun Pak Comix recurring feature based on it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Hel posted:

The last strip features my favorite recurring character archetype: The smart crook that refuses to be on the opposite side from Modesty and Willie.

I love it when those characters show up.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

OK, who wants another Discendo Vox nerds out about early food regulation post?

You know what? Yes, please.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

That face in the last panel, I know what she's thinking. Knife him. Knife him! Do it!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

Holy loving poo poo, this dude. loving call the cops. Or kill him! At this point it's probably totally justified.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Good on you, Kahena!

I'd probably start with the 9th for the reasons you said, though I wouldn't mind seeing a few of the smaller blurbs from the earlier one now and then.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Compu-Toon and Charles Boyce are national treasures, and it just needs to be repeated some times.

Also, god drat it, Tommie.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

"Some assholes came around and started barking at us!"

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Yeah, the 'born thirty years too soon' comics are fascinating, but mostly baffling.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Vox's food regulatory history derails, Origins of the Sunday Comics Edition

Thanks! I'm always glad when we get bits of history for context.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Luxrage posted:

I wonder if this is a self-portrait of the actual cartoonist for this comic.

I assume it is, and judging by the next one I'd say the kid was on to something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Luxrage posted:

I get sick of his constant visual metaphors with the explanation at the end of them but :lol: the art in this one is really good.

I mean, I wouldn't say it's really good but I actually giggled a bit at this one so it did something right for me.