Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's the 2019 internet thread for sequential images stamped into mashed trees.

For those who came in late, this thread is for sharing and enjoying newspaper (and newspaper-adjacent) comics ranging from the sublime to the damned; from Andertoons to Ziggy. If you have some interesting comics to post they are more than welcome, good or bad they all go onto this hoarder's trove we're committed to building each and every year. There are a few exceptions, but the general rule is that the product must have been published in a newspaper or periodical at some point; it's done by an artist whose work was, or it's hosted by Comics Kingdom or GoComics as that counts as syndication now that the printed word is gone forever.

Last year we had an amazing time - a handsy boomer lost his comic to a hungry millennial, the extended saga of weirdly obsessed Luann fans culminated in widespread deletion of their comments with only the ominous "Please refrain from erotic speculation about our characters" as a tombstone, we saw the return of the vigilante everyman Ed Kudlick Everett True, The Phantom managed to finish over two whole storylines, and Intelligent Life stopped being published as often!

Look upon these comics ye might and despair
  1. For Better or for Worse, here we go again
  2. For Better or For Worse II, The Sun May Get in 56kers' Eyes
  3. For Better or For Worse III: Who need this?!?
  4. For Better or For Worse Megathread
  5. The Comic Strip Megathread: Luann's Funky For Better Minimum Security
  6. The Comic Strip Megathread V - Just Another Uneventful Lesbian Road Trip
  7. The Comic Strip Megathread V, Part 3 - Dick and Jane Go to the Goddamn Bank
  8. Comic Strip Megathread V, Part 4: Thalidomide Theater: Day of the Jackelrod
  9. Comic Strip Megathread Part Ten: Infections and Gams... FOR ME! BARB ELS!
  10. Comic Strip Megathread Part 11: drat that's a fine elephant.
  11. Comic Strip Megathread Part XII: Reply All is the best comic in this thread
  12. Comic Strip Megathread XIII: Still can't get over it!
  13. Comic Strip Megathread XIV: Happy After Death 2013!
  14. Comic Strip Megathread XV: So smile, Margo, and move on.
  15. Comic Strip Megathread XVI: Winking Throwbacks to Retro Sexism
  16. Comic Strip Megathread XVII: I have a special recipe (cackle-cackle)
  17. Comic Strip Megathread XVIII: Please refrain from erotic speculation about our characters

Where to discover comics
King Features Syndicate's Comic's Kingdom
Universal Uclick's GoComics - thanks Elysiume for this guide on how to hack their gibson
The Houston Chronicle
The Seattle Post-Intelligencer
Darkgate Comic Slurper

How to mess with comics
Paint .NET (Windows)
Seashore (OSX)
Pixelr (web)
GIMP

How to write like comics
Blambot comic fonts
FBofW by KentuckyFriedBonBon
Jane's World by Haikeeba!
Luannfont by Haikeeba!
Minimum Security by Haikeeba!
Pearls by Haikeeba!
Gamgasm by Haikeeba!

Alternative Google Drive downloads

(By Forktoss)

As is the tradition, our hard-working enthusiasts will kick us off by posting either their favourite edits of last year, or by introducing their comics as if for the first time because that's the whole reason to roll back those page numbers - the onboarding of new readers into an archaic and obsolete medium that happens to have newspaper comics posted to it.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the 2019 thread is saved

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

:popeye::eyepop::gowron:

like, where do you even begin on this eight-year old's-level tantrum rebellion of conspicuous consumption put into the mouth of a fictional mid-twenties millennial by a nearly-fifty year-old man?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Transmodiar posted:

Probably the same rear end in a top hat who turned me into Mordock.
That's definitely not the case.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Nekonaughey is the best fat ginger cat in a hotly contested field. He does his best, which is all anyone can ever do, although sometimes he might need a helping hand from his best friend billionaire bunny Tetenusagi. There is no spoken dialogue in the strip, just animal noises that I do not translate. Occasionally I will try to provide cultural notes.

Saisen is an offering to the gods/spirits. Offering boxes are fairly common at shrines/temples and even if you're just visiting you're expected to at least throw a few coins. The slatted top of one is what you can see in the first few frames - they make it easy to drop your money in but hard to get back out. It's traditional to visit a shrine at the beginning of the year so that you can pray for what you'd like to happen in the coming year - essentially lodging your new year's resolutions with the spirits - and as part of that offer thanks for any assistance they give you. Obviously the more you bribe the gods with the better returns you'll get.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Nekonaughey

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

God I love that series.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

i like that he signed it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Nekonaughey

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

He doesn't even have to be accurate because the episode isn't at all about the mystery of how animals reproduce, but about the delivery of diplomatically important grain shipment.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Nekonaughey

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

BigDave posted:

If it's the same smelt we have here in Minnesota...they're best consumed while at least two times over the legal intoxication limit.
They're specifically Wakasagi smelts, which are related to the Californian Delta smelt - in fact, they were introduced into Californian waterways to prop up the Delta smelt population under the impression they could interbreed as they were so similar, but instead they out-competed the native species, spread, and are now the dominant smelt in the region.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Haifisch posted:

2011 Spiderman

Hells yeah this is a goodie

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

ps the secret ingredient is beans

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Huxley posted:

I can't decide if that Heathcliff is an elaborate pun flying miles over my head or just nonsense.
It's both.

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43188/the-owl-and-the-pussy-cat

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Nekonaughey

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yes, and it is a continuing issue whenever he does these sorts of things because he likes to use the whole setup as analogies to things in isolation of everything else that happens, which as you point out, results in weird things like sometimes he has a holiday camp with predators/herbivores split up like boys and girls, but also it's just a background detail that they're split up because the 'boys' will literally kill and consume the 'girls', or a main 'good guy' threatening to publicly "out" a trans-character - which is problematic in itself - with the full knowledge that the actual threat behind it is not simply embarrassment but direct exposure to bodily violence and death from their society.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

I vaguely remember there being a week where its revealed that not-Quagmire still lives with his mom and was all smug about it with Skip. Although a playdate still begs the question of why no parents punished him for burying Skip's toy. Does anyone remember not-Quagmire's actual name?
It's Mike.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Mary Worthless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy659O44VZ8

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Review of the first ten minutes of Modesty Blaise (1966):

- theme tune not by Sparks
- comedy slide whistle deployed almost immediately
- weird mental breakdown with ticker tape machine

+ Good accent
+ "We've already checked on your Willy" delivered with complete sincerity

edit: wow that is a bonkers movie 9/10

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 14, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

it introduces the character as an archetype for you to detail around with your own prejudices and assumptions as they move through the prologue before stopping in the middle of the storyline to say "hey, this is actually a person like everyone else in this situation" while the framing brings him back down to jamal's level after having towered over him (and the cop) the whole time because in that moment he's just someone's kid.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

But then why was the girlfriend (Cody's big sister) also given the hidden-head treatment? Is she an archetype that towers over the other characters too?
Those were two separate analyses. Yes, I believe she's also blank to function as an archetype.

The comment about towering-over was in regard to placing him down on the curb next to Jamal for the reveal of his face - there's a partial reveal during the argument with the cop but why wasn't that the full reveal? Having him sit on the curb next to his brother while, presumably, his mother argues with the policeman shifts the frame of who he is from a (justifiably) angry black teen to a mother's son by equivocating him and Jamal through attitude, body position, and expression. Revealing his face asks the reader to connect with his character as something other than an abstract - doing it during the conflict with the policeman would inherently also ask the reader to take a side in the conflict, but doing it in a moment of understood vulnerability asks the reader to simply sympathise with the feeling of vulnerability induced by the conflict, which itself has been momentarily abstracted by being moved completely out of frame.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Brevity

I don't get it.
He's getting drunk before he goes to work cleaning out flues.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

Holbrook would have Jamal kidnap the cop and hold him prisoner until his gun ran out of bullets for some contrived reason then drop him off in the middle of Harlem (but it's really the suburbs!!).

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ugh.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

GUYS

I FOUND THE CONCLUSION TO THE NEKONAUGHY CHRISTMAS CLIFFHANGER

http://www.q-rais.com/entry/2018/12/24/172201

I don't know why it wasn't posted, but Nekonaughy DID have a sweet Xmas with his bunny pal. :D
Thanks dude. It must have been a muck up on my end with loading the page because I only had the first image there.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Nekonaughey

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

While that is technically true, you do have to consider the risk of escalation.

Nekonaughey

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

this is not the thread for takes spicier than a jalapeņo with garlic breath.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

strontium you dog.

Nekonaughey

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Speaking of absolute poo poo, is Brooke finally unemployed or has everyone just given up posting his fetish art?
it's the latter, but now that you have spoken the forbidden name they shall surely be summoned.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Nekonaughey

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I feel like if I'd personally kicked the poo poo out of Osama bin Laden, bringing him to justice, then spent an hour or so successfully avoiding the police then I'd be so pumped full of adrenaline and invulnerability juice I would also find it hard to empathise with anyone not on my high.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Haifisch posted:

2012 Spiderman

since we're doing vintage spider-man i'm reposting edits.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

i don't think it's a deal breaker just that her quick solution meant that he couldn't use it as an excuse to make himself appear useful.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Nekonaughey

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Nekonaughey

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Esplanade posted:

You know, I remember thinking Brewster Rocket was pretty good when I first saw it. Has it gone downhill, or was I just an idiot?
it has always been the worst comic posted in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

honk if i can't see you while backing.