Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

This is why so few women have made it to the SCOTUS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

WHAT
IS
HAPPENING
IN
MARK
TRAIL
???

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I can't stand Alley Oop. I absolutely hate it. It's great!!!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

It was also the first intercontinental missile.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Fictional cartoon character's (who has been introduced like a week ago) death is a loving serious deal. I mean just look at Funky Winkerbean.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

seriously???
☺☺oo :mad:

☺oo☺ :)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The Bloop posted:

It isn't a thousand yard stare or anything, it just looks like he is vaguely contemplating a shoe, like wondering how it's laced up or something

Taken without context it's not even obvious that the object in his hands is a shoe, he might as well be working on a Lego starship. Probably partly because some sneakers don't look like shoes, but also because it's the size of his body/head.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

NEW New Nancy by Yakov Kirschen

trigger warning: transphobia and bad art as produced by a 300 years old lich

there was also an incoherent rant about how 'traditional masculinity' is under attack by the left

you're welcome

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mikl posted:

This is the dumbest thing. How do you even organise a race for fifty million people (at least)? The logistics alone are impossible to think of. Also why do runners go to distant planets to train? Can't they just train on their own planet?

:psyduck:

Acclimatization! You gotta let your lungs adjust to a methane atmosphere.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Death Ray posted:

Essentially, any well known comic strip character you can name has been in Weapon Brown. I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here, looking for those hidden gems. (This thread is the reason Everett True got in!)

How about Heimo Vesa from Fingerpori? Guaranteed not recognized by anyone at all but looks already like a refugee. He could be handing viperless milk as aid to refugees.

Since you've had Moomin, what about other Tove Jansson characters like Snufkin (a carefree hobo), Stinky (he could be styled as a gangster wearing a black furcoat maybe?) and if you want a whole locust like swarm, the Mymbles (including Little My):

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Alterian posted:

I gotta be honest. I have no freaking idea what order the Cheer Up Boss Dharma comic panels are suppose to be read in.

It's real easy:

1 9
2 4
3 1½
6 6 again
8 10*
7 11

*except on first Thursday of every month

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I appreciate that this rebooted comic about a caveman has spent all but a week in modern times.

:crossarms: 1980's is ancient history.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Does a lady phantom wear a bra on the outside or just the stripey underbritches

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

next up on Ripley's - "nincompoop" is a word from Europe's Germanic language

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

It's a lot more interesting reading it 1, 4, 2, 5, 3, 6, etc.

Someone should create a Random Boss Dharma scrambler to see if it makes any real difference.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

quote:

wow, google could have hired dilbert guy to design google glasses to be actually useful

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

:regd08:

edit: while doing this I noticed that Ed came so hard that the lady in front of her lost her left shoulder :(

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 9, 2019

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

Hagar The Horrible

I find it odd that The Son Of Sven's wife would also be called The Son Of Sven. But I wouldn't say a word about it to them, the Svenson of a Svenson wields wicked powers.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

That's a lot of heroic rhyming for a clash in which your troops surrendered.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Death Ray posted:

Some more work from Aftershock, featuring cameos recommended by this thread. Enjoy!

Ooh, Viivi! :h:

...and is that Arlene from Garfield in the second panel :suicide:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The Bloop posted:

I think it's Baby Blues behind them and Tiger in front of them

Also Hägar's shirt sleeve on the right.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mikl posted:

loving hell, Japan, how about giving your employees humane work hours instead?

It's not that simple after decades after decades of telling workers that if you don't habitually work overtime then you're not dedicated to your company. The other thing which this story doesn't mention is pay.

quote:

A drone that hovers over Japanese employees and blares music to force them to go home was unveiled by its maker Thursday, as the country tries to reduce its notoriously long work hours.

Administrative officials at many companies push workers on overtime out of the door but this has ironically resulted in these officials working overtime themselves, to say nothing of “causing friction between employees,” the companies said in a statement.

Firms have therefore turned to security companies to perform this task, but those companies have struggled to provide enough staff given a nationwide labor shortage in Japan.

T-Frend therefore serves the twin function of reducing overtime and making up for this labor shortage, the firms have claimed.

Japan’s government has been trying to change a culture in which working long hours is perceived as proof of loyalty and dedication.

Every year in Japan long working hours are blamed for dozens of deaths due to strokes, heart attacks and suicides.

In February, the country launched the “Premium Friday” program urging employees to knock off early on the last Friday of the month with the aim of both reducing work hours and invigorating spending.

But the plan fell flat, with many noting that the last Friday of the month is one of their busiest days.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Android Blues posted:

Gilchrist Nancy was so bad

Would JRROSE! have been a better Nancy cartoonist?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

amigolupus posted:

Spider-Man can't climb these walls because they're made out of bricks, his mortal enemy.

Bricktonite drains his superpowers :spidey:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I just realized that while some aspects of New Nancy have changed, her relentless work ethic has remained the same. Here she scolds a lazy rear end orphan kid while on a beach holiday:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The_Other posted:

I think it might have something to do with the Great Depression, i.e. in the past people were able to spend more.

Probably so, at least indirectly. Those people don't look particularly poor especially with that precision scale and measuring cups and all. I think the precise measures and slices of citrus fruits are a clue of scientific diet (A FAD!) becoming more hip. But the reason why this might be so may be because during depressions, big wars and other crisis the government and media will readily spread nutrition facts about how many calories you need and where you can get vitamins. Nutrition had existed for a long time but the focus had been on getting enough calories for factory workers to be productive, that sort of thing. Another important factor was the 1920's thinness trend which required constant dieting from young women, who would have to internalise these things and probably would be ready to use their knowledge when raising children:

https://www.sciencehistory.org/distillations/magazine/counting-calories

quote:

Diet and Health sold like calorie-laden hotcakes. Frequently cited as America’s first best-selling diet book, the book sold 2 million copies—800,000 in hardcover—and was in continuous publication from 1918 to 1939. In 1922 alone the 105-page book went through 9 printings and topped the New York Tribune’s list of best-selling nonfiction books. By 1930, the year Peters died, the word calorie seemed to roll off people’s tongues, and even some schoolchildren were fluent in calorie counting. In 1927 one home economist observed that “in this country the calorie is a familiar word in the vocabulary of practically every adult, and anyone who doubts the possibility of popularizing it should observe a group of ten-year-old children counting their calories.”

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Angular Cyrus posted:

Mopsy 8/30/41

I wish Gladys Parker was alive now.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Kennel posted:

Fingerpori

"Chateau Doigt 2016... preferred by wine experts"

Suosima = Preferred by someone
Suo = Bog/swamp
Sima = Mead

Bag says "sugar"

Bye viperless milk and hosed by Juha, bog mead will be my drink of choice from now on :guinness:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I was reading John Rose's blog (I mean who doesn't?) about Reuben awards 2016 and this came out of blue:

The great Brian Walker of Hi and Lois and I stand behind the amazing Guy Gilchrist of Nancy/The Muppets/TMNT and his lovely art assistant Anna Marie Guthrie.

For those who are blissfully unaware

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Here is a rare photo of Charles Boyce writing Compu-Toon:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Angular Cyrus posted an edit, no wonder no one got the answer. Here's the original which contains more clues:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Selachian posted:

Is it just me, or does this guy look like he wandered in from a different, cartoonier comic strip?

None of the new ('new' as in since Luann went to university four or five years ago) fit with the original cast's style as Karen Evans started co-authoring the strip in 2012.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 17, 1997)

:lol::lol::laffo:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Relevant article, including the fact that we're missing out on an entire Australia arc they'd already planned. This comic was too good for this dumb hellscape of a planet.

So, according to the article that's Alex Saviuk and Roy Thomas in that penultimate panel. A rare non-Lee* cameo!

*for the Stan who Falks

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Bushmiller Nancy acted like a narcissist but this could be inferred from her shenanigans, not from her words. New Nancy is written like it was based on Trump tweets.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

Imagine how many cold cases could be solved if investigators would just look at which suspect has a different dominant hand than the others.

Obviously first we need to round up all ambidextrous people into camps so they don't ruin investigations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Daddy's Home

I had to check that this is a real syndicated comic and not some weird rear end Dustin parody. I like it that in the first panel they are outdoors with a tree in the background, in the last panel they are standing by a bar counter and in the middle panel the worlds switch (maybe a nuclear explosion) and you can see the tree and the counter at the same time. So existential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Vargo posted:

What Tiggum posted was an edit, but also not really because the original has the exact same sentiment:

Colouring Hi and Lois must be the most relaxed job in the world, no one will notice.