Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Julet Esqu posted:

You can pick a tasteful wall color and then let the kid help picking out like bedspreads and poo poo. You can even narrow the wall color down to several choices and let the kid pick her favorite. It's not an all or nothing deal.

It's insane for me to be focused on this, but I've been waiting for them to show a window in this room-converted-from-a-closet (IIRC). If there isn't a window, it isn't safe or legal as anyone's bedroom. Am I misremembering the closet thing?

-Me, hung up on thinking that logic applies in Luann again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Discendo Vox posted:

That varies heavily by jurisdiction, and I think they only apply to initial homebuilders most of the time. The closet deathtrap's kosher! They just can't list it as a bedroom when they sell the house.

Interesting, thanks! It's been the rule everywhere I've lived, so I thought it was a thing. :tipshat:

Still, I'd think that two firefighters would want a second egress for any room where someone sleeps, but apparently not in the Luanniverse.

Tunicate posted:

are they in the hospital?

someone rex and rover this

American Standard and Kohler are both companies that make bathroom fixtures, including the jetted tubs that are sometimes called spas (in the US; not sure about elsewhere), so I think its just that in the Dinette Setters' world the two meanings of the word "spa" are conflated.

Fake edit: turns out that the same Kohler who started the bathtub company did start a resort-spa, so I'm not sure where that leaves the joke.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

Rover? That you?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

howe_sam posted:

"Swit swoo" is another all time moment
Maybe I am just too tired to parse it... what is a "swit swoo," please?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Yvonmukluk posted:

I believe a vocalised impersonation of a wolf whistle.

Ahhh, that makes sense now! Thanks! :tipshat:

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh well enjoy the fine, hope its up to code and enjoy getting the permits retroactively

my experience with building permits is commercial but i'd imagine for residentials it'd only come into play when selling the home

In my county, if you are issued a building permit, you need inspections of wiring, plumbing, framing, and doors/windows before you can close up the drywall and do any finishing, but I don't know how widespread that rule is.

I guess it's theoretically possible that where Evans is going is that they did get a permit, but forgot about the inspection. Or maybe there was no permit and somebody tattled. Any way this goes, it's still a bonehead move for a pair of firefighters.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

Narda is surely happy, because this is definitely the expression of someone who is happy

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

doingitwrong posted:

I'm not up on Mary Worth lore, so I don't know how Ian and Toby got together. I note that she's much younger than him so it could be that she's worried that whatever happened between her and him will happen between him and someone else. Did she start up an affair with him? That would give the story a little more grounding, though if that's the case maybe somewhere in the 14 or so strips leading to this moment she could have mentioned that worry explicitly.

I've never really followed Mary Worth, but something sticks in my mind that there was a very-long-ago storyline in which Ian and Toby both lived at Mary's apartment complex and were dating but weren't married, and one or both was concerned about whether they could make the May-December thing work. FWIW.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

StrixNebulosa posted:

GUYS

I FOUND THE CONCLUSION TO THE NEKONAUGHY CHRISTMAS CLIFFHANGER

http://www.q-rais.com/entry/2018/12/24/172201

I don't know why it wasn't posted, but Nekonaughy DID have a sweet Xmas with his bunny pal. :D

Yay! Thank you!

I'm still not sure why it's so easy to invest in That Cat, but it is, and I am, and so it's really good to see that storyline end well.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

catlord posted:

Also, do you think Holbrook has any idea how gross this storyline is? I feel like he generally has his heart in the right place even if his metaphors are all kinds of hosed, but surely there's no way he could have looked at this and said 'yes, this is a good and heroic thing to do.'

This may be giving him way too much benefit of the doubt, but I don't think he's thought about it at all, beyond "Angelica is super evil so now she gets taught a lesson." If he had thought it through he'd realize how this storyline reads, but it's not clear that he's done the thinking.

Edit: beaten to the punch, but yes, what rannum said.

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 17, 2019

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Ugh. He does realize that this is a thing, doesn't he?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

rannum posted:

Yeah I was going to ask have we ever seen them. I know there's a fair few with his wife, but I can't remember seeing either of his children

We saw the girl a couple of days ago, in the one in which the young girl is coatless and shivering while Mrs. True is wearing a heavy coat.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Vargo posted:

Jamal

Thank you for bringing Jamal here - it is amazing. Speaking only for myself, I sure wouldn't mind having them spoilered again, though, just to allow time to ready myself before looking at them. These ones are way past trigger and full on into the stuff that comes after triggers - which is not intended by me to diminish the strip in any way.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Vargo posted:

Yeah, I thought about it and went back to using them, for the next couple of days at least. It looks weird at the end there without it.

You are good people, Vargo. Thanks!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Woebin posted:

Also the Swedish comic Pyton that I used to translate and post could be neat:

So I wake up while it's still dark, drink a cold cup of coffee from yesterday, wonder if I have the energy to clean house, and then you post a bunch of Pyton, and suddenly balance is restored to the universe.

Thank you Woebin! I love Pyton.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I don't think I need to translate that since it's obviously the panel reading order.

Nth-ing the thanks for posting these. I sometimes find the strip's humor a little mean-spirited, but the art is interesting and when it hits, it hits.

Sometime, you should mix up the panels just to mess with us, though.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think you skipped a BCN, so:

Oh thank heavens.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
It could also be the kind of thing where the dad knows that he's the one who messed up, but it's easier to tell the kid "that's just how life is, better get used to it" than it is to admit fault and tell his son that he's sorry for hurting him.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, rough estimate as to how heavy a gold pair of running shoes would be?

If pure gold, at a reasonable minimum, each sneaker would weigh at least 40 lbs.

Different sizes and styles could weigh more.

I am so glad you asked, because I thought maybe I was nuts to be annoyed enough to calculate this a few days ago, right down to submerging one of my shoes in water to get an accurate volume of material.

This story has implacable Earth-destroying aliens and a guy who routinely calls up visions and illusions, yet the mass of the running shoes is what got my goat.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Vargo posted:

Wallace

Spud

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
It's probably everything about him, but especially the clothes. The young man's flashy clothing is styled like the kind flaunted by 1910-1920's gangsters, with the baggy trousers, high collars, pointy two-toned shoes, and a low-crowned hat with a feather, no less.

IIRC from other panels, E. True does not like wannabees, and he does not like people who call attention to themselves. (And E. True alone shall decide what constitutes calling attention to onesself.)

I am sure the slang and the effrontery of attempting to bum tobacco don't help, either.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Selachian posted:

Mom 30 Years Ago gives her kid candy and sausage without caring, while Mom Today (in the bubble) obsesses over what her kid eats to the point of weighing it out ounce by ounce.

goatface posted:

The child back in the day ate whatever while the "modern" child is fed by strict laws of scientific nutrition?

From the kid's perspective, wouldn't that be "Born 30 years too late"?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Android Blues posted:

Yeah. I think she's making lemonade, or maybe syllabub, with a comically tiny jug? And the child is waiting with a single small tumbler to receive their portion.

That's why it's titled "Born Thirty Years Too Soon...?" instead of the normal format. In this case, the past is presented as having been somewhat more amenable to pleasure.

I didn't even notice the question mark until you mentioned it. It makes sense now!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Powered Descent posted:

Okay, that's genuinely funny.

Agreed!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Benly posted:

His father straight out told him not to cry because it's not manly, that's one of the textbook facets of toxic masculinity.

So I've been trying to put myself in Jamal's place, which is always dangerous, but...

In the previous bit of story arc, Jamal witnessed his mom clamp down on her own quite righteous anger, and make Jamal's brother stifle his own anger as well, in order to survive an encounter with a hyperagressive cop. Lesson to Jamal: don't show your feelings in situations like that because your life depends on not giving the other guy an opening to attack. Harsh, but sadly, really important.

In this bit of story arc, a light session of tossing around the football ends with a swollen eye, and Jamal hears his dad tell him not to cry, not to sass, not to show any spine, and basically to shut down and shut up because doing otherwise makes dad mad. Lesson to Jamal: don't show your feelings because it makes dad mad, and if you're the dad, you don't ever say sorry or show sympathy - you lash out instead. Harsh, and really stupid.

Same root message (keep "negative" feelings concealed in order to survive), but way different causes, expressions, and validities.

(Subtext corollary: when mom is harsh, it's to keep you safe; when dad is harsh, it's to keep him safe.)

I do NOT know what to do with this, other than try to untie the knot in my stomach, but I think I understand now why Jamal's face looks so much older than his age.

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 28, 2019

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Johnny Walker posted:

I'm supposed to come up with several questions for a rep by a meeting Friday about how to "integrate their product into our workflow" and while I understand what all that means I have no idea what questions I can ask about it, or at least what I can come up with in advance of an actual conversation. So far I have only come up with one: "Can you tell us some ways we can integrate your product into our workflow?"

At least I have a week to do it. I'll come up with some bullshit.

Just ask the rep to discuss the product's scalability to your various business scenarios, and whether there are customizable aspects to suit your range of uses and applications, and then ask for a full description of the tech support that will be available to your company's personnel on a rapid response basis and the measures they use to gauge their own technical response performance. Also ask to see the relevant parts of the vendor's org chart. That should keep the rep busy for a good long while.

:colbert:

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

This is so stupid but it made me laugh.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Darthemed posted:

Clown 9 rightfully gets a lot of love, but this right here is my personal high point for Newspaper Spider-Man.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Yup, totally expecting this guy to be one of those grifters who bilks lonely women out of poo poo-tons of money.

You're probably right, but it could also be a catfish situation.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

My Lovely Horse posted:

Luann, man, I dunno. I feel like Karen Evans maybe didn't have the best time in high school and college is all I'm gonna say.

Or the Evanses might just be out of touch. Some things don't change, but the online world certainly has.

For a bit of context: Greg Evans is 71, and his daughter Karen is about 40. That means that her memories of being a teen are from the mid-1990's. Online dating was just getting started. As silly as it would be to do this, it is conceivable that the Evanses are writing about something of which they have absolutely no direct experience.

Yes I am aware of the obviousness of this statement

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Calling it now. Kid's dad is going to turn out to be Somebody, and there'll be a brand-new yacht waiting in Rex's driveway when he gets home.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Prince was a genius and Macanudo is horrible. A bad thing referencing a good thing only reinforces how bad the original thing is in comparison.

The song itself is also genius, and it has meaning, but Macanudo's use is basically just "look at me, I quoted a song title that people know." It's lazy.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Hopefully this isn't too much of a derail, but does anybody know why comics are referencing Marie Kondo all of a sudden? She's been publishing and doing talk shows for years.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Zerilan posted:

A lot of people probably just discovered her recently through the Netflix show that started in Janurary, or her appearance with I think Colbert's show last month.

Ok, that makes sense! I had read one of her books a while back, but didn't know about the new show and Colbert appearance. Thanks!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

SubNat posted:

So, how many weeks of 'Neurotic & Extremely Online Artist Whining' Nancy are we on, now?
It feels like that's all it's been ever since the robotics club arc thing.

It just feels so insanely petty of a syndicated artist to whine about laziness, from a medium defined by laziness.
Extra so since there's always the constant reminders that 'oh the other girl who's really good at drawing is nice and modest, unlike Nancy the terrible online artist strawman.'

I get that artists want to vent, but it just goes on and on and on and on and on.
Looks like we started seguing into it towards the end of feb, so ~3ish weeks at this point.

I feel like this is a really naive question, but for those of you who are more familiar with the authoring side of the industry, do comic artists ever use independent gag writers? If so, then maybe Nancy's writer needs some submissions from goons who love the Bushmiller heritage. It does feel like she's treading water lately.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Savidudeosoo posted:

And they're names are reverse.

And even though he's distanced himself from his brother he's still gonna rock that loving stache. No way he's letting someone take that from him.

If the big reveal is that he's one guy with dissociative identity disorder, I shall be very annoyed. But that's kind of what I am expecting them to do.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

This is weirdly unsettling, and now I know where the Yellow Submarine writers got at least one of their ideas.

Thanks for posting these, by the way!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Johnny Walker posted:

May as well post the finale.

It's really hard to see Ballard Street end.

IIRC Van Amerongen did something else for the first part of his career and started publishing his cartoons when he was around 40, so that would make him around 80 now. I guess he deserves his retirement.

I hope he still shows up at cons from time to time.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Luxrage posted:

I have no words for these three recipes...

I wonder if he had sponsorship for the cookbook from the California Walnut Board?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Odonata posted:

Pre-factory farming, meat would have been more expensive & not expected three meals a day. Nuts were readily available & filling, plus better for you in any case.

Yep, I'm actually aware of that. I just also remember that that was a time when growers' associations and such all published or sponsored recipe booklets, so a connection like that wouldn't surprise me.

In the house where I grew up, there was a whole shelf of old pamphlets and grease-stained little throwaway cookbooks from sources with names like the California Walnut Board, the Valley dairy farmers' association, the farm bureau, Everything is Cheesy (sponsored by the Cheese Producers' Council), Recipes from the GE Frozen Foods Institute, Let's Cook with Onions!, and the gas company recipe booklets (a new one of these came every. dang. year.). My ancestors kept 'em all.

Yeesh, I should add some comic content after that. Have an old Noodles, also food-related.