Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's a new year! And you all know what that means; A new adventure of Corto Maltese by Hugo Pratt! A meandering tale of the many adventures of the titular sailor during the early 1900s, Corto Maltese was first published in '67, jumping from magazine to magazine, until finally ending in '88. Corto explores the world, fighting injustices when he can, with the help of allies and a little magic. The stories are often very dreamy - often invoking actual dreams themselves - but are on the whole, a rollicking good piece of pulp fiction.

The first five stories can be found in last year's thread; and you might very well think that the scan quality is bad - there's a reason for that; simply put, they are bad. I don't have access to a flat-bed scanner and have taken them the best I can. If you want better quality art-work, then do the Pratt household a favour and buy physical copies yourselves.

With that admonishment out the way, let us begin our next story, which I consider my favorite of the bunch so far - Book One of In Siberia, The Red Lanterns. The year is late 1918. Matthias Erzberger has signed the Armistice of Compiègne, ending hostilities in Europe at 11:11 on 11/11/18. Despite generals and military leaders knowing in advance that Germany had signed the armistice, fighting continued up to the very hour of the very day - 11,000 casualties resulted from these pointless attacks. The very last man to die from military action in WW1 was American soldier Henry Gunther. He died at 10:59.

In due time, this armistice will lead to the Treaty of Versailles in mid-1919, dictating the terms of German surrender, but with the activation of the armistice, officially all the world is entirely at peace. Entirely? Well, not exactly... One small part of the world, namely the territories of the Bolshevik Russia, still holds out against the terms of capitalist imperial powers. And life is not easy for the anti-communists forces stationed around the area, namely the White Counter-revolutionaries, the Allied Interventionists, and the new Eastern and Western Republics...

In today's adventure: Stupid Smarch weather!, or, Long Life gives us a briefing on the I Ching as well as our current situation, or, Can you guess who's sitting next to Corto?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese, Corto catches up with Russia's greatest love machine, or Corto is not very good at object permanence, or The post office are at their wit's end with all the post for Corto

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Corto knows how to live the good life, or , "Ice to see y- GODDAMN IT!" says Rasputin, or "Look, all I wanted to do was finish reading that goddamn book!" says Corto

And so ends the first book of In Siberia! Join us tomorrow, won't you? In the second book:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Green Intern posted:

I have no idea why Corto puts up with all these people who will so clearly betray him, and have done so before.

Because what Rasputin says is true. Corto needs adventure, imagination and joy to live as much as he needs air to breathe and food to eat.

Still, I don't see why he couldn't become, I don't know, a spelunker or a deep-sea diver or something.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Corto gets upset with Rasputin... how many times is that, now?, or Corto is mean towards Rasputin, or Rasputin is well game

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Rasputin is as graceful as a dying swan, or AGAIN with the machine guns!, or Corto takes a long swing off of a short rope

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Corto makes friends with the local law as is his wont, or General Chang makes Corto break his motto re. numbers of partners, or When hanging people just isn't enough

So our second book ends! But in the next book, we'll finally see this damned train; along with the story's femme fatale in...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: This page banned from Tumblr for female-presenting nipples, or Pardon me, boys, but is that the trans-Siberian choo-choo?, or For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.

:nws::nws:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Setting the scene with the good Duchess Seminova, or Remind me never to fall in love with a Russian, then, or Will our heroes survive?! Write in YOUR answer on the back of an envelop to this address:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ayuh, back when the rest of the world thought there was a chance to strangle Russian communism in it's crib, they tried almost everything - but didn't count on three things - 1) General war-weariness, 2) Russia being as big as all hell and 3) the Whites (and Greens) were not offering the social change that the Reds were implementing; they wanted a return to the status quo of Tsarist Russia. The Revolution was not something brought into power by only a handful of disaffected scholars, but also from actual workers and proles who were genuinely sick and tired of the aristo bastards.

And, with that preamble out of the way, onto today's Corto Maltese!, where: Corto gets upset with the White Russians, or Corto makes friends and allies with his usual, easy-going style, or Baron von Ungern-Sternberg was a real person. Baron von Ungern-Sternberg did seriously try to defeat the Bolsheviks with a resurrected Mongol horde fuelled by quasi-Orientalist paganism. Baron von Ungern-Sternberg was as mad as a goose on stilts.

So, our hero has found the gold train. But now how to get it? And how will these Eastern White forces influence Corto's mission? Find out next time in...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Compensating for something, are we Semenov?, or Cain now has a rival for most useless character, or The heist is on!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Your Honour, Lady Luck, or It's a Xmas mid-January miracle!, or Rasputin is happy with Corto - wait, WHAT?!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Another thumbs up for Jamal, here.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Semenov seems nice, or Rasputin waxes philosophically on the practice of banditry, or Even when trying to look on the bright side of things, the Baroness can't help but be disgustingly aristocratic.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: A drive-by like no other, or Rasputin channels the spirit of Yakov Yurovsky, or Corto gets in a particular mood with Rasputin. Can you guess which mood? Three guesses and the first two don't count.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 21, 2019

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Duplicated pages? No, I don't know anything about that - I would never make such a mistake! (Please check my last post to see the now-updated pics, and thanks everyone for pointing it out, also for the words of support!)

In today's Corto Maltese: Corto chooses the worse time to flirt, or Shanghai Lil does not gently caress around, or Uh... whoops

Well, getting the gold can't be that hard! All you need is a group of trained marine engineers. To mid-winter Siberia... during the Russian civil war... Yes, this could be a bit problematic. See how this square will be circled next time, in...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Out of the frying pan and into the fire, or Ungren von Sternberg - "Gimme that ol'-time religion, it's good enough for me", or The Baron runs a tight ship.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: "For the last time, I'm NOT him!" exclaims an extremely annoyed Rasputin, or Rasputin learns the hard way that Shanghai Lil is not like Pandora, or Shanghai Lil makes a valid point about trust or lack thereof

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: This is an OSP operation, Corto, or ZIP! UGH!, or Rasputin gets upset at Corto

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tina's Groove Classic (June 25, 2007)

The cook is actually right that Lecter was foolish in the movie; the better wine to have with liver is what was mentioned in the book; an amarone.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Vargo posted:

Holy poo poo, that opening panel throwaway gag.

please red and rover it for me.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 17, 2019

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese "Explosive sabotage? We don't know anything about that" says the crew, hastily putting out the last of their smoldering clothes, or Corto is given an offer he can happily refuse, or Let all who do ill know this precedent - "Man may his fate forsee, but not prevent". So of all axioms, this one takes the prize - "'Tis better to be fortunate than wise"

So ends our time with the lunatic Baron. You may not be surprised to hear that his attempt to overthrow the Bolsheviks ended in defeat and his execution after a 6-hour trial in 1921. But Corto's story has not finished just yet... Join us next time, won't you? In...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I try to go for the pacing that I feel doesn't break up action or story beats, but if people would prefer 2 strips a day, I'm game for that - that sound good to everyone?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Fair does. I'll try to limit updates, but I will add things when I feel it would break up the story incorrectly.

On that note, in today's Corto Maltese: Corto Maltese 2: The Wrath of Chang, or Mongolians throw up the most bad-rear end of metal horns, or Corto is a very grudge-filled person

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese Sympathy for the Devil Tsarist Russia? no, or Grand Theft Traîne, or "Driver, pull this train over! Wait. sorry. That didn't make any sense"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh geez Jamal.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Chang does not skimp out on the banging iconography, or The Red Lanterns have very roundabout ways of dealing with loose ends, or Boys Revolutionary soldiers don't cry

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Interviewing the usual suspects, or After blowing him up, Corto holds no grudges against Chang, or The Butler servant did it!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: By Kiangsi, we mean Jiangxi, or Utilising the Tsarist gold for the benefit of the people!, or Corto's last thoughts on his adventure

And so ends Corto's adventures in Siberia! But you'll no doubt be glad to hear that his story is not over just yet... join us next time, won't you? In a story that is sure to resonate with Mikl; The Fable of Venice! In the first book, Corto meets with those who keep back the electric car/those who make Steve Guttenberg a star!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Well, Venice in the 1920s - thank heavens the world has entered an era of peace and that nothing untoward will happen politi- oh wait., or Corto: "Don't mind me, just thought I'd drop in" :smug:, or For a secret society, they seem pretty nice.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 24, 2019

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I know! They're very reasonable. For a conspiratorial organisation.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I pretty much skip any comic that's posted too much at one time. Like, I haven't read a single Corto Maltese because I three pages and just go "... nah." So I appreciate stuff being posted a day at a time.

:(

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: A conspiracy within the conspiracy, or The Faliero referred to here is Marino Faliero, who lead a failed coup against the established Venetian oligarchy in the mid-1300s, or Well, I'm sure these boys won't get up to anything worse in the next decade or so.

Before the next update, can anyone guess who the newest arrival is?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Death Ray posted:

Hello Goons, Goonettes and TransGoonders! If any of you who are Weapon Brown fans you may know that I am working on a new project, an epilogue to Weapon Brown called Aftershock.

The opening scene is set in a refugee camp, and I want it to be peopled with comic strip characters I haven't used yet in Weapon Brown. This is tough, because I have exhausted most of the recognizable faces.

There is still room for me to use minor characters from strips I have already lampooned (for instance, I've already spoofed Jon and Garfield, but not Doc Boy). However, I'd like to include players from comic strips I never got around to.

So, if there are any obscure gems or "how could you have forgotten...?" characters that you would like to see featured in Weapon Brown, I am entertaining suggestions!

It might be a bit obscure, but perhaps Corto and Rasputin from Corto Maltese?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

How about Creep A and Creep B from Cult Hit The Creeps™?

Yes.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Maybe also have Gilchrist Nancy being destroyed by new, better Nancy?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Special guest Gabriele D'Annunzio has fallen out of favour with the blackshirts, or Corto's spidey-sense is tingling, or Corto: "Oh Christ, more of these lunatics"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: "But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks? It is the east, and Juliet is- oh wait, wrong city", or Hipazia lectures on the supernatural, or Corto's first step in finding Maguffin's Clavicle.

So ends our first story! It started with a household of secrecy and ends with mysticism and mystery - but would any adventure of Corto be anything other than complex? Join me next time in the next book...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Aww poo poo it's Clown 9

:bisonyes:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Death Ray posted:

Thank you, everyone, for your help suggesting characters to include in my crowd scene. I added a few of your ideas, and will use others in future pages.

Here is the current page in progress. How many famous faces can YOU spot?

I see Corto and Ras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In today's Corto Maltese: Corto herds cats as a second job, or "Love is like a tree: it grows by itself, roots itself deeply in our being and continues to flourish over a heart in - wait, wrong city AGAIN. Also, wrong country", or Sick tats, Lion-bro