Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

1-----4
2-----5
3-----6
--------
7----10
8----11
9----12

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

That's right, back by popular demand, from viewers like you! Not literally viewers like you. What I mean is, Dharma comics have been popular on South Korean internet message boards over the last few years. It took me awhile to find a digital source for the new one because most search engine results assume you want the old ones. Sports Dongah probably considers a feature, not a bug, since it incentivizes people to buy their newspaper. Hence why they gave Park Seong-hoon a contract to write a revival last summer.

Three new characters are introduced by name here in Dharma's new office, which is otherwise mostly the same as the old office. The names are all obvious puns, so for the sake of consistency I'm also giving English language pun names to It's All Right Chief Dharma characters too now, even though those puns tended to be a lot more subtle. Dharma is already a pun (it's not a standard Korean name) on account of being a loan word, so that one doesn't need to be changed.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Wait, do thermostats actually work that way? I always jack mine up as high as possible and just turn it off when I've decided its warm enough, and even in freezing winter my heating bills are really low.

Transmodiar posted:

Probably the same rear end in a top hat who turned me into Mordock.

Usually I would agree but yikes, you're making this comment on spring grip salmon pink bikini day?

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

The typeset I used is fairly large compared to the one in the original to insure words are readable. Some nuance is occasionally lost in the process.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 2, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

We really needed that on the first page.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hm, well I guess I could just pretend like this is still the first page.

Kennel posted:

no even in thumbnail form this is too cruel

What's really jarring about these is that I'm so used to the James version of Nancy, and so reflexively recognize it as a modern update when viewed right next to the Bushmillers, that reading all these months later felt like someone was throwing up a DeviantArt fanfic all over the thread. Even that weird TerryToon Nancy looked more like Nancy than this.

Vargo posted:

A Problem Like Jamal

I can't decide whether the Calvin homage is the argument Jamal is making or the TV show he's angry about. Very Dinette Set moment for me, but I like enough of the rest of it to want to see more.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

She's not wrong. I'm hard pressed to see any other newspaper comic pulling off the right mix of coherent, stupid, and pretentious necessary to inspire a good mock thread.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I have to force myself not to add timg tags out of sheer habit.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Paging Sad Bear.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It's not actually a spa that's just what they're calling a normal hotel.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Crab meat is considered upscale cuisine in South Korea today. The context of the conversation implies that Dharma is buying but I didn't have enough space to make that explicit. I've heard that eating at a crab restaurant here is only about half as much here compared to, say, Finland, but it's important to remember that eating at restaurants in South Korea in general is very cheap.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I have lived in many rooms where the windows had bars on them, including now. Not sure where that leaves the fire code.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

csammis posted:

I remember seeing this strip in the papers when it ran :corsair:

I will admit, knowing that this was going on around the same time as foob's golden age, I'm a little confused why Johnson got a million plaudits for being a progressive thinker but I never heard of Arlo and Janis before I started reading this thread.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

How mean!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Alley Oop is the latest comic to get a reboot. It's about a time travelling caveman. The new version starts today.
[url=https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/26/arts/design/alley-oop-comic-strip.html]

Are you sure we're still getting preteen Alley Oop? Because this just looks like regular old Alley Oop to me, and I'm not really sure how middle school drama is supposed to be worked into a comic with a premise as straightforward as just punching dinosaurs.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

And I learned a new word today.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tiggum posted:

This is regular Alley Oop. Li'l Oop is basically a separate comic that runs on Sundays while the main, adult Alley Oop runs the others six days. We won't see the first Li'l Oop till next week.

Ooohhh...well now that I know that the concept sounds a lot less ridiculous.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Contract jobs refer to temporary positions. At will employment might be the better translation but I didn't have that much space.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

Nekonaughey's turning down food? :ohdear:

Smelt bad.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 8, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

I have never worked in the comics industry, but FFS....

-They can work from home. Comics have not been an office-only job for a LONG time.

-So wait, who's writing and drawing what, because if there's a deadline, some of you should be done already. Like if you're still in the basic scripting and pencilling stages hahahaha gently caress you you're screwed.

-Wait, you're brainstorming ideas. For a crossover. For the what, three books you guys have?

Les has never allowed his ignorance and lack of logical reasoning stop him from writing technically minded stories. The football games he used to do always showcased his inability to grasp anything about how the rules worked except to the extent that the game involves catching and tackling. His knowledge of mainstream comic production is similarly shallow for all the time he has devoted to setting this dumb storyline up.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It's unnerving thinking about what real life anecdote inspired Dustin's narcolepsy. A sick millennial or one who's so overworked regular sleep isn't an option? Either way just assuming the cause is laziness is crass to say the least.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

...What did he write on the calendar?

...Huh, I forgot we don't have that in English language culture. Which is funny, since as you can see, it's in English, and is based on an English language reference. Specifically, D-Day. When making long-term plans South Korean people will often designate D-# to mean number of days until the plan is executed.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 17, 1997)

Yikes, a lot of brutal honesty in here. Yet there's still the characteristically wry Arlo and Janis humor about how there's no middle ground between disproportionately punishing the guy and letting him off scot free, not like she gets a choice. Good stuff.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I play video games like this.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

PetraCore posted:

It was originally two two-page spreads or something, I thought.

It's actually not, Boss Dharma's printed out on a single page and the version I post is exactly how it looks in newsprint, with the date and page number and everything. Chief Dharma was also printed this way as are the long form comic strips that are exclusive to other newspapers. Why, I don't know. It's just what the convention is.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Sick sounds weird here but the original is using it directly as English slang.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Wait, skip is living in his childhood home?

I vaguely remember there being a week where its revealed that not-Quagmire still lives with his mom and was all smug about it with Skip. Although a playdate still begs the question of why no parents punished him for burying Skip's toy. Does anyone remember not-Quagmire's actual name?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Used batteries aren't junk, they're trash and toxic trash at that but they end up in junk drawers because you're supposed to throw them away in a special way and it's hard to work up the effort to do it. Or at least that's why I have a segregated dead battery section.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Oh hey it's me when I'm looking for a new place.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

You must be new to Far Side.

edit: non snarky answer- Far Side jokes usually mash up dissimilar concepts and tropes. The humor is subtle and some would say nonexistent.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 15, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

csammis posted:

Oh my god Boss Dharma's devil

a nice cold beer

edit: Some Guy TT I'm not sure if you mentioned it, but in the revival is Dharma's title change from Chief to Boss because he got promoted or what?

The comic itself has mentioned it a few times. The implication is they offered him his job back at a promotion to avoid paying off his pension since he had to stop for medical reasons. Since living in Jeju Dharma appears to have lost weight, and his new job isn't as stressful as the old one.

I love that devil by the way.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

All the people she's talking are referred to indirectly as being the parents of named children. I didn't want to bother trying to write that naturally in English so it's just vague instead.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Luxrage posted:

Part 2 of the Nov. 8th 1989 Corpus Christi Caller Times comic spread. All of these are timg'd because they're all pretty large without it. I don't know if breaking tables is still bannable or if the tables even break at this point but some I had to leave quite large to keep the detail in (mainly Calvin and Foob)

For the record they don't. This is why I don't use tags even though my comic is fairly large. I only realized this when I was asking for technical help in uploading them last year.

Oh hey, the kind of review I hate the most- the one that just gives a basic outline and plot summary and throws in a few superlatives about how great it is without ever explaining what the reading experience is like or why the author liked it. Eight hundred words, all dedicated to describing nothing. I'd rag on the author for being a biology professor but it's not like professional writers are any better at it.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I can't remember if Mother From Another Country did the exact same gag or not.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 16, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

OK I'm still mad that Toby was right, and once again Brigman is hilariously incapable of drawing people holding things like people hold things, but mainly I don't see why this girl would assume she's already got him in her pocket. He's had a few polite conversations with her.

The design of the pipe, the expression on her face, and the way she holds it makes me think that she's smoking opium even though that's obviously preposterous.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak Comix learns it early.

Huh, surprisingly easy to write children as unsympathetic as long as you're not trying to rationalize a martyr complex.

The Bloop posted:

This post is exceedingly polite and NuOop is total garbage so far

I mean, keep posting it, but it's just terrible

At least it's readable. Every other version of Alley Oop I can remember was completely impenetrable.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

The original expression was "last hired" and is the same word used for lastborn child in a family.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

davidspackage posted:

All of you self-spoiling fools are missing out on the angst I get from one Jamal a day.

I hovered over one by accident but thankfully it was pretty vague. Please don't get specific spoiler text goons.

Samovar posted:

I try to go for the pacing that I feel doesn't break up action or story beats, but if people would prefer 2 strips a day, I'm game for that - that sound good to everyone?

It does! I'd like to add that if you're only doing two at a time, timg tags probably aren't necessary. Three at a time should also be good, if one of the pages is a bumper or you want to avoid breaking up the flow of a scene.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I was just reading a (very bad) blog post the other day about how the increased acceptability of public displays of affection in South Korean daily life is feminist, somehow.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Oddly enough this only makes sense in Korean where their name is just the everyday word. In English they're called GFriend, presumably to avoid confusion with the everyday word.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 19, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Really Pants posted:

Chief < Boss < Underlord < Praetor < Overlord < Supreme Tyrant

You joke but I've just been avoiding referring explicitly to ranks between Boss and CEO because I don't have a clue how to translate those job titles without making them sound about that ridiculous.

Nenonen posted:

Fictional cartoon character's (who has been introduced like a week ago) death is a loving serious deal. I mean just look at Funky Winkerbean.

Whoa, now that you mention it the sheer speed is what gives it impact. Remember when Johnson took several weeks to ham-handedly kill off that dumb dog for maximum drama?

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Actually I can't think of a good word for her job title either. The other lower ranked characters are just regular employees but she's an errand...doing...person? Who works full time? Blech.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 21, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

FrumpleOrz posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this comic.

It's not even close to true. The market for cute cats is poo poo outside of dedicated cute cat sites and that's not a racket you can get in on overnight.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Great, now I want a Love To Post~¢¾ avatar.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

How the gently caress do you read this comic

That's the third time it's been asked in three weeks and I explained it in my first post. I'm beginning to think it should just be in my avatar.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Well that was to the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Wait, so there isn't a man in the house? Then who was the guy at the funeral?

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

This is a very out of date reference but then that's the kind of reference men their age would make.