Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Already posted in the old thread, posting again here with synposes:

The Amazing Spider-man is batshit insane in all the best ways. Exhibit A: Spiderman once defeated a werewolf by projecting the sun inside a planetarium at night, which confused the lycanthropy enough that it just killed the dude instead. Exhibit B: He's had his powers centrifuged out of him by Magneto(and centrifuged back in by reversing the energy flow).

I post both old strips(started in 1999, now up to 2011, posted a week at a time so we get through them at a reasonable pace) and current strips. Current story arc is Killgrave using his mind control powers for vague evil purposes; he's currently spending several days gloating about how Spiderman is a better mind control target than Luke Cage. 2011 story arc involves Spidey being framed for a robbery by the Big Boss, Serra Carson both stealing Peter's job and publically believing that Spidey is innocent, and MJ getting jealous over it. There's a dedicated NSM thread here, although it's likely to be remade for the new year.

The general impression when reading Newspaper Spider-man is as follow:

One Day: It's spider-man?
One Week: Huh, things aren't moving very quickly. When is Spider-man going to do something?
One Month: Wow, Peter just spent the whole month getting dunked on. Does the author even know who spider-man is?
One Year: This author understand spider-man at a deeper level than I ever will.

New readers might wonder about that Stan Lee credit on Newspaper Spider-Man.

The strip started in 1977 being fully written by Stan Lee, and in the 90s started being co-written with Marvel veteran Roy Thomas (scuttlebutt has it that he did most of the plotting and Stan Leed did most of the dialog). Stan Lee was still actively cowriting the strip until a couple years ago, after which it shifted over to being written entirely by Thomas, though Lee remained interested in NSM to the end. Similarly, Larry Lieber was doing the weekday art for the strip until September 2018's strip, when it shifted over entirely to Alex Saviuk (who had previously been doing weekends).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Front page needs the versions of foob with the unsettling blinking

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"nanotechnology trackers" is such a lame line anyway

like holbrook just say "we planted a bug", then you get an actual panel that resembles a joke

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Goon project: let's read a newspaper comic!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Dinette Set unwinds.

are they in the hospital?

someone rex and rover this

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Technically I think you could get away with having just a door leading outside, with no connection to the rest of the house (ala that lovely roommate storytime).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I think she's specifically told her staff to kill rabbits because she hates Kevin, but if she kills him (or tells anyone to directly) then that would be murder because she knows him.

Since apparently we are supposed to care about the market price of rabbit meat, a less stupid plot would be for Evil Company stop hunting rabbits, and start buying a lot of rabbit meat. That way the price goes up and all the other Evil Corporations start gunning for Our Heroes for monetary reasons.

Like not only is holbrook writing a fetishy nightmare world but he is doing a halfassed job of it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hjalmar posted:

banish Pros & Cons and Dilbert to the politoons thread

banish Working Daze and Intelligent Life to the webcomics thread

let's start this year off right

Let's ditch Bad Machinery and that one with kids that have old man faces too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

doesn't cross-race hair touching come up a couple times in mother from another country?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 9, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Its an elaborate con.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Strontium posted:

random Intelligent Life

Wait, skip is living in his childhood home?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In every previous panel, Tauhid actually drew the entire face before concealing it. Until now, though, his attempts to make a face older than Jamal's instantly turned into the Crypt-Keeper.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I've never understood what's supposed to be so "enigmatic" about that picture. She's just smiling. In a pretty unremarkable way. :shrug:

Another thing I don't get: This Rose is Rose.

Kids of a certain age like things that are gross or messy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So wait, predators use solely smell for identification rather than literally any other senses?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm gonna start posting The Princess Planet, and nobody can stop me. It's a mostly gag-a-day webcomic that wrapped up back in 2013

http://www.theprincessplanet.com/2004/11/13/welcome-to-the-princess-planet/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Fictional cartoon character's (who has been introduced like a week ago) death is a loving serious deal. I mean just look at Funky Winkerbean.

lol at people ITT getting upset when a guy says the cops should be portrayed worse

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

More Princess Planet, covering November 21st to December 5th. As McLachlan puts it "Wow. I drew Christi way too skinny and weird back in 2004."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Transmodiar posted:

Webcomics don't belong in this thread, thanks.

:shrug: there's a lot of webcomics here already.

TPP ran in a couple newspapers and magazines (which makes it less webcomicy than a lot of the others), but if someone wants to make a spinoff thread and move all the webcomics out into it, that's fine, but until that happens

The Princess Planet (December 12th, 2004)

The Princess Planet (December 19th, 2004)

The Princess Planet (December 26th, 2004)

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 22, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Potsticker posted:

There is a thread for webcomics already, right?

I think that's only for ones that are currently updating - bad machinery is still being posted here.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Transmodiar posted:

See all of the above comments that prove you wrong

Yeah, I get it, you're trying to rules lawyer and say a comic that was published in The Toronto Star (the biggest newspaper in Canada) is a 'webcomic', and a comic that has only been published on the web isn't.

That gocomics is allowed in the thread doesn't change the fact that comics published exclusively online are webcomics.

I don't think people want to go ultra-purist and kick every comic that isn't exclusively newspaper out of the thread, but if they do I'll respect that decision.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well, since someone asked me to post an intro:

About The Princess Planet

The Princess Planet is a world where every girl is a princess and fairy tales mix with space operas. Princess Christi ditches her lavish lifestyle for awesome adventures with her reluctant Snowman companion. She also finds time to hang out with her princess friends and dish about boys or one up each other’s fantastic pets. In contrast to his daughter’s adventures, the King is stuck in his throne room dealing with annoying or stupid people, often suggesting new ideas for his flag (which is currently a pile of grass eating a sandwich). The strip features an ensemble of other characters who pop in and out from week to week.

The author, Brian McLachlan, is a Toronto native who's been doing writing, art, and cartooning through the newspaper industry for over a decade. He's worked on a variety of other comic projects besides the Princess Planet, including a regular strip in Tribe, the graphic novel No Dead Time, and even some stuff for Nickelodeon and The New Yorker. On the webcomics side, he's recently worked with Ryan North on Machine of Death and To Be Or Not to Be. I actually found this comic through North's old Truth and Beauty Bombs forums.

The princess started as a webcomic, but was picked up for print format fairly early on, by a few places (including the Toronto Star). There was a bit of a format change shortly before this happened, as McLachlan started doing weekly strips as well, and moved from 2x3 to 3x2 sundays. I'm going to skip forward a bit to roughly when it got picked up by papers.

TPP sometimes does theme weeks, so we'll start with some arctic goofs.

February 20th, 2006

February 21st, 2006

February 22nd, 2006

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm trying to track down the context for a particular newspaper strip panel I saved years ago. It made a big enough impression on me that I saved it, but now I find I know nothing about it.

Any ideas?

Judge Parker April 18th 2007, I believe.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 24, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Turns out joshreads posted it if anyone wants to see the full version

https://joshreads.com/2007/04/this-history-lesson-brought-to-you-by-the-glory-and-power-of-clambake/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Princess Planet

Feb 23rd 2006

Feb 24th 2006

Feb 25th 2006

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Bloop posted:

No one cares one goddamn iota if you read ahead.

Posting poo poo like "the next strip is great" or especially "we'll never see that character again" is really obnoxious, though. That's the issue.

I saw the next Everett True, and it's great, and also we'll never see the character in it again.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The fat man that nobody loves?

Also is the villain gonna be gilchrist?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Princess Planet

February 26th, 2006

March 5th, 2006

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 25, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I assume everyone from Crock is in? Already on-model and on-plot for postatomic mutants

Mr Hefty from Nobody Loves a Fat Man

Guy Gilchrist (from Too Many Cooks)

Elf Dakin (Out Our Way)

and it's more of structure, but the tiny hut that the Old Night Crossing Watchman is in (Out Our Way)

If you want a really deep cut, JR Williams, author of Out Our Way, had a horse named Lizard

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Turtle Hitler has definitely been posted before.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spiffster posted:

Ok so I’ve been playing REmake 2 on the PS4 and had to stop because I was getting on edge.

Then you post this poo poo and I jumped out of bed because FUCKERS BLINKED AT ME!

WHY THE gently caress DID THEY DO THAT!?

The use of the internet offers incredible possibilities for expanding the medium! With the infinite canvas and unlimited multimedia options now available, comic artists can be free to add animation and bring their creations to life!!!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Princess Planet
March 6th, 2006

March 7th, 2006

March 8th, 2006

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Princess Planet
March 9th, 2006

March 10th, 2006

March 11th, 2006

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Princess Planet
March 12th, 2006

March 13th, 2006

March 14th, 2006

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

G like in gif

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Princess Planet
March 15th, 2006

March 16th, 2006

March 17th, 2006

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Some peoples fetish is trying to identify other peoples fetishes from limited and ambiguous evidence, apparently

kevin and kell is like finding a youtube account full of clips from 80's and 90's cartoons, but all of them are of female characters sinking into quicksand or getting frozen

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Slipping your fetishes into everything you create is gross, like the old feeder rose is rose comocs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Princess Planet

March 18th, 2006

March 19th, 2006

March 26th, 2006