Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Replicants don't say beep beep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

PetraCore posted:

Well, you see, that guy was likable and thus one of the good ones, whereas Angelique is a vicious scheming jerk, so it's okay to belittle her for being... trans-species, I guess.

I mean, the more obvious answer is the dude eats plants now and isn't hurting anyone whereas Angelique is helping run a hellworld murder-for-food company, but Holbrook excuses his protagonist for doing the same because she's an 'ethical' hunter, so now he has to do something to make Angelique seem even worse, which is having her target her own (birth) species in a ham-handed attempt to get revenge on her ex-husband who she can't hunt anyway because she knows him. Her transitioning to presenting as a rat was probably like, idk, supposed to show what a bitch she was for stepping out of the natural order and probably something about hiding her hypocricy for being married(?) to RL while hating that Kevin married a wolf.

Like, Holbrook genuinely tries to get deeper or w/e a few times but it just makes everything weirder bc he takes no consideration into how that changes the implications of everything else.

Also, I've got a degree in general biology and not zoology or anything, but it genuinely frustrates me how bad he is at animals. He's forced himself into herbivore = prey and carnivore = predator dichotomy that doesn't actually exist, and then when he deals with omnivores he just kinda shoves them into one category or another. Even ignoring the fact that herbivores themselves range from, like, tiny plant-eating bugs to elephants, p much every animal is both predator and prey. But that doesn't fit his setting so it's ignored, until it isn't and suddenly we're reminded that even the tiniest insects in this world are fully sapient, as is at least one tree. So mice are prey and rats are predators I guess??? But like, mice are only seen as not a big deal in terms of predation by humans because they're small... rats can get bigger and will do pack behavior so they can theoretically overwhelm a human, but mice aren't suddenly not predators just because sometimes they're also prey...

Look. The two trophic levels in biology aren't carnivore/herbivore or predator/prey, that's stupid. It's autotroph (produces complex organic compounds from simple environmental resources) and heterotroph (cannot produce complex organic compounds it needs on its own, so eats other things to get it), and even those categories have blur. Like, carnivorous plants are mixotrophs because they're both. They photosynthesize and produce stuff that way, but they grow in nutrient-poor environments so there's certain things they can't produce themselves, so they supplement themselves by eating bugs. And this! Obviously has nothing to do with anything Holbrook is writing, I just wanted to say it, because Holbrook makes me mad.

Quoting this because it is all of of my feelings on this strip, too.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Dippy Duck is such an rear end in a top hat.

Also, clearly he is an Indian runner duck.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Re: Luann, I actually had a situation with a woman who was dating my father engage in some emotional abuse and controlling behaviour, and then run back to my father and twist things so that I was the worst, most ungrateful person in the world, and I was just so rude to her. I was nineteen and still living at home while I job hunted. I had constant panic attacks about leaving my bedroom, and then as a bonus, got yelled at for not "being social" because I didn't want to come watch American Idol with them. It was extremely not a good time in my life, and I am eternally grateful that my father broke up with her and is now in a committed relationship with a lovely woman who is not eternally looking to assert dominance and control over her stepchildren.

But yeah, I gotta say. This storyline is bringing back some bad memories and I don't like it, but I also can't stop reading. I hate it.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Mycroft Holmes posted:

i don't want to sound like a huge rear end in a top hat, but it kind of takes away from the social commentary when the dude who got shot full body tackled a cop.

Oh, fine. I'll bite.

While handcuffed. When the cop was about to pull a gun on his mother.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Outbursts of Everett True

:allears:

Me playing Red Dead Redemption 2, tbh

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

She's talking about daytime network soap operas, and there really are just four left in the US: General Hospital, Days of Our Lives, The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful.

I miss Passions. It's the only soap opera I really ever got into.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Merdusa. :allears:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is comedically bankrupt.

I know that this is some straight-up neolithic humour, I'm too poor to buy clothes so I'm going wear a barrel, because barrels are cheap and plentiful, but I had a whim to go see how much a barrel costs in this day and age. So, it turns it that most barrels these days are made for the wine or whiskey industries, and those are oak, so a new barrel is going to cost you anywhere from a few hundred to over a thousand. You can, however, buy used wine barrels, and that'll run you something in the $60-$100 range.

So I'm uncertain of the money saving going on here.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

For a moment, I was confused as to why Dethany isn't wearing any pants.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'd argue that Phoebe and her Unicorn is close in spirit to Calvin and Hobbes, with the caveat that the whimsy there is actual and not explicitly imaginary.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I AM SO SICK OF THE WORD "COURT."

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

manero posted:

I was sort of surprised to see that Gladys Parker basically was Mopsy

That look of contempt!

Wow.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Chameleons are carnivorous, with smaller species focusing on insects and larger species eating small lizards or birds. This seems like an odd choice to adopt to herbivores, after so much "gotta make sure that you really are herbivores."

Also while the whole colour changing thing is sometimes linked to camouflage, it's more frequently serving a purpose in thermoregulation and social signaling, but I guess that boat's sailed as far as cultural knowledge goes.

I know, I know, don't overthink Holbrook.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I had to check if this was an edit. I'm not used to Mark Trail being at all connected to anything even remotely modern. I think I always just assume it eternally takes place in an indeterminate number of decades ago.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

This is my favourite BCN ever. WHAT. WHAT. WHAT.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Zerilan posted:

It's that TA under a fake name.

Putting my vote in for this.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

To be honest, lately this is the most interested I've been in On The Fastrack, because suddenly something is happening other than endless office nothing with strained puns, and maybe I have a weakness for "loyal sisterly love" in fiction.

And I tend to follow Safe Havens because I enjoy bad science fiction, and it is really scratching that itch for me. Yes, sure, a sentient planet, a fascinating (not original, but what is) concept, tell me how you're going to explain this. I'm waiting. Especially with the wiggly DNA being part of it.

And while I'm not exactly engaged in Kevin and Kell, I do think the baby chameleon sleeping in her new dad's horns is really cute.
Though, I feel like, as an ex-wolf he should probably still have a really good sense of smell and be able to find her that way, but no, absolutely overthinking this.

Anyway, I guess my point is, is Holbrook on new meds or what?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

It's Stockholm Syndrome. There's still time to deprogram you before you're eager for the next 9CL

Well, poo poo

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Yeah, I'm broke as gently caress, but I get enough joy from this site to sign up for a monthly couple bucks on lowtax's patreon. I hope it makes a difference, because I can't do much else.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I don't think I'm a prude, but also I think there's way too much sex going on in 9 Chickweed Lane. Do these people do anything but bang or talk about banging?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Don't doxx me

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The Giving Tree is open to interpretation. Like, sure, it's hosed up that the tree is self destructively loving, but is that explicitly something that Silverstein is saying is admirable? Most kids I've seen recently read it as a condemnation of taking from someone you love and never giving back, and that's how I read it too.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I like Ruthie's Good Art stand and would 100% buy something from a small child selling their art on the sidewalk.

But yeah, the family in that strip is awful.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (Sept. 19, 1997)

Let's see. I would've been 14 when this was originally published. This is exactly what I was told to do if I was in trouble. Don't shout "help", because no one will come looking. Don't shout "rape", even if you are being raped, because no one cares (you're probably asking for it). Shout "fire," because fire spreads and is a threat to everyone, and it will overcome people's tendency to not give a poo poo.

I wonder if they still tell girls this.

:(

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

In biology, an altricial baby is one born in some variety of a helpless state, bald or blind. Humans are pretty altricial, especially compared to other primates. Most birds are altricial. Mice and rabbits are altricial. The opposite would be precocial, a baby born able to walk around and be some degree of independent after birth. Horses, deer, chickens and ducks, hares.

What I'm saying is I got Holbrook's joke, and I am eyerolling to the sky.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Reporting on my lush paper's comic page would require me to look at that garbage rag.

You know, my mom really, really loved Foob. It was her favourite. But my mom is great and not an emotionally abusive bag of dicks. She's not perfect, maybe, but she would never behave the way Ellie is portrayed. This is a weird thing and I'm having trouble uniting this. I mean, my mother was also a closeted lesbian up until 2001, and a stay at home mom in the eighties and early nineties, so maybe that accounts for some identification with "mixed feelings about my husband"? I don't know. I wonder if she knows about Michael's real life analogue being gay and not talking to his mom.

The commentary on the "blow up" strip is telling. Yeah, parents are human and they blow up, but the word "vindicated" implies "see, I was right and you deserve it" rather than "I hosed up in a moment of frustration and weakness."

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

YES BEING NAGGED BY MY MOTHER IN LAW IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS BEING MURDERED AND EATEN.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

EasyEW posted:

9 This-Month-Of-Dailies-Is-Starting-To-Read-Like-A-Rambling-Retirement-Speech Lane

Uuuuuuuugggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :shepface: "the flower of my maidenhood" gently caress off.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I work in a deli and i can tell you there is a shocking number of grown-rear end adults who say "roast beast." I mean, one of my sisters did this for a while when she was five or so, mostly because that's what they eat at the end of How The Grinch Stole Christmas, but there are baby boomers and older who come up and ask three hundred grams of garlic roast beast.

I can never decide if they think they're being clever/cute or they just honestly think that's what it's called. A whole lot of people ask for "barbarian meatloaf," too, and I once had a guy ask for shaved mozzarella, then when I asked for clarification he insisted that no, that's the proper Italian pronunciation of "mortadella" and I'm the one who's wrong.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Mistletoe is poisonous.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Dad's a hand-talker. Kid is mimicking him. :kimchi:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

EasyEW posted:

9 Can't-Decide-Which-Of-Them-Is-More-Obnoxious Lane

I can't stop thinking about this particular strip. I hate it. It makes my skin crawl. So of course I'm going to seriously overthink this now and peel it apart.

Lady, having issues in her love life, confides in a male friend. Friend is aloof and unhelpful and can only arrogantly offer unhelpful platitudes from a position of supposed moral and intellectual superiority. When she loses her temper and calls him out on this, he thought-bubbles about how All Women Are Bitches, thank God he's gay so he doesn't have to deal with those awful women in any serious capacity.

In a better comic, that could be explored as a personality trait of this character in particular, but let's be honest, every character in 9CL exists as a vehicle for masturbatory fantasy. The women are all hypersexed nymphomaniac artists, and the men are all basically just stand ins for Brooke himself. So for the gay character to make a comment like this comes down to two possibilities:

1. A betrayal of a basic dismissive attitude of the artist towards women as people: if you aren't loving a woman, then she's insufferable and hard to put up with.

2. The idea that the only way someone would be gay is if they actively hate the opposite sex, and the thought bubble here is then a reveal of how broken gay people are, according to Brooke.

I don't like it.

RoboRodent fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 8, 2019

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I have never been in a grocery store that did not offer paper bags. :shrug:

The grocery store where I work officially offers paper bags but we don't reliably have them, because for whatever reason they don't come in when ordered all the time. So at least half the time, no we do not have paper bags.

Plastic costs 5 cents, paper costs 10.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

EasyEW posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Imagine going to the theatre and these two rubes perform while glaring at each other.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm turning 36 soon. I keep thinking of this comic and remembering a dress I had from about age 13-15: dark burgundy velvet, scoop neckline, cap sleeves, similar sort of close-fitting bodice with a short, flared skirt. I'd say it was pretty close to this comic dress in terms of "sexy."

My parents bought it for me. Specifically, it was originally for a family photo. I loved it, because I felt pretty and grown up and that was a new way to feel. It felt like an adult dress and not a little girl's dress, and it was probably the first major piece of clothing that was true for. And in my house, that was allowed, because I was at an age where feeling like that was encouraged and allowed. It was part of growing up. It was normal.

I wore it to a school dance and got called a slut by my peers. But I never got that from my parents, who were happily encouraging me to dress any old way I wanted - - which, honestly, in the later years of high school, involved a lot of boys and unisex clothing. That was also fine.

Anyway I just hate coming up against the realization that a normal part of my upbringing was not, in fact, normal.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Dustin is practicing simple, stylized art mimicking other styles before moving on to more complex or original works and finding his own style. So, you know, a standard starting point for many artists, frequently as children, but beginner artists can be any age.

Something that you'd think the creator of a comic strip would be familiar with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

To be fair, I'm my experience as a Canadian, "help others out of a snowbank because you don't know when you're going to need strangers to push you out" is always true.