Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I would like to take this opportunity to point out I didn't know this thread existed until the Sluggo is lit banner ad, and it turned out to be one of my favorite things I discovered in 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

This is why so few women have made it to the SCOTUS.

It took me driving to work and drinking a second cup of coffee, but now I appreciate this very good reference to events that happened 1 million years ago.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

I first starting reading this thread thanks to the SLUGGO IS LIT banner, and it took me a while to follow Modesty Blaise. At first it looked like some T&A cheesecake stuff with scratchy old art and too much talking, but then I discovered the real fan service: Modesty cracking skulls and wrecking fools.

Same, and also Corto Maltese.

If there was anyone I wouldn't be too concerned about disappearing in a pool of blood in a Chinese back alley, it's actual Rasputin. Just going to assume he can take care of himself at this point.

This is the actual best thread on SA, thank you goons for your service.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I mean, that's pretty clearly PPD.

e: the rest of it I can't account for not being a lovely person, but PPD is mind poison.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

You can pick a tasteful wall color and then let the kid help picking out like bedspreads and poo poo. You can even narrow the wall color down to several choices and let the kid pick her favorite. It's not an all or nothing deal.

We did the walls in nice, pastel neutrals as nurseries and have let them do whatever they want with the decor.

They can change the wall colors when they're old enough to do most of the work themselves and are interested. The plan is to tell them no just long enough for the yes to be special, maybe a 13th birthday present or something.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the art style on that one already has me glossing over it. :-/

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I like the implication that Washington, specifically, didn't know about dinosaurs when you could say the same thing about anyone who died before the early 19th century.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OK, the old-man face is a lot less dramatic with color dailies.

Also, after a million years it finally dawned on me that the American stereotype in pulps exists (at least in part) so there's at least one character willing to show up and just tell us the plot without a bunch of duplicity. It's like the author saying, "does this look like a guy smart enough to be playing 4D chess? No, you can trust him to be laying actual groundwork."

Big dumb yanks, punching guys too important to be punched and exposition dumping since forever, apparently.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 17, 1997)

How old are these two? I'm not sure if we're "summer home from college" or more like late high school.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sounds great, and what about my wooden leg?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can't decide if that Heathcliff is an elaborate pun flying miles over my head or just nonsense.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

serves me right for sleeping through all the poetry lectures in my english lit classes

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zereth posted:

I feel like we missed a few strips, what is this conversation about?

We had a little bit of a time skip between the reveal she is pregnant in the office and her complaining about the father being an MIA deadbeat on their walk. It seemed like there was a strip or two missing, but I think we're just expected to figure out that the artist skipped us from A to C because B wasn't necessary or interesting (or he couldn't get a gag out of, "hey want to go for a walk and talk about it?")

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just went and read the A+J run leading up to the kids' wedding and it's really sweet and good.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kennel posted:

I'd think twice before brutalising someone who regularly handles a big knife near my throat.

Especially with the price of meat what it is. When you get it.

If you get it ...

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

I have the weirdest craving for pie right now...

Good, you got it!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alterian posted:

This might have been brought up previously and I just missed it, but isn't this the girl he ends up marrying and opening a cafe at the beach with?

The months (of strips) leading up to their wedding, and his interaction with her daughter, are really sweet and well-done.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Nice touch to have the area inside the moon blacked out.

Once you have this pointed out, you start to notice how many kids books get it wrong and it will drive you crazy.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think there's a running gag that Arlo is extremely paranoid about sun exposure or something. We just haven't seen much of it yet.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Superman can probably squeeze diamonds out of coal with his bare hands, so checking for change is pretty srtange!

Also, he normally is in a hurry doing the phone booth thing, and absent-mindedly checking the coin return doesn't really fit the moment.

He's checking for cow tools.

E: I GOT BEAT TO COW TOOLS

Huxley fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 15, 2019

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TofuDiva posted:

Ugh. He does realize that this is a thing, doesn't he?

It's wild to think what this world might be like if Luntz weren't evil.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My heart assumes fake-out, but it would be balls of steel to go through with it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Vargo said they'd go back to larger chunks after this storyline until we did. I think it's MWF right now.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
e: I was wrong, apparently.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 22, 2019

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite memories growing up is cutting my great grandma's grass, then drinking diet sprite and watching her stories with her for a couple hours and fussing over whether I was going to let her pay me.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sweeperbravo posted:

My Nana's dementia got to the point where she stopped recognizing me 5 years ago and just reading this made me tear up

:( Sorry to hear. Her heart still loves you.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think all kids at that age are prone to falling head over heels. Arlo and Janis sense Gene has a big heart and a deep connection to Mary Lou, and they can easily see a future where involving himself with her and her child shifts him far away from what they have planned for him, like finishing school and growing up a little bit before taking on a responsibility so large as being a father to a child.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's not what that phrase means! Why are you so bad at language, Holbrook? :argh:

I always pick my battles randomly. This is what makes me such an exciting parent.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
He is the manager at a JacuzziŽ manufacturing facility that has suffered a recent, well-publicized string of quality control issues.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

Can you or anyone give a link to where they meet back up as adults?

When I wanted some resolution to this whole plotline, I stumbled on a story that starts mid-December 2011 and runs off an on through most of 2012.

It starts with them together, so it's not her next appearance, but it is a good long chunk.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Alley Oop

Hey! That's kind of a joke.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I once called my step mom "mom" on the phone and mom cried for an hour. It was 20 years ago and she still brings it up. And they get along.

Mom is a powerful word, Lisa.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The issue with CMYK process, in particular when dealing with newsprint, is dot gain.

The way I had it described is, you know when you put a pen down on a napkin and it makes a little dot but then it just keeps getting bigger as the fibers of the paper absorb the ink and spread it out? Newsprint has a lot more in common with a napkin than it does a piece of laserjet printer paper. So you have to tone down colors and really overbrighten grayscale images to keep them from turning to mud on the page. It's really easy to send your mids into your shadows.

There are formulas the press guys handling negatives probably knew back in the 70s and 80s to control it, but in practice we always just opened the final image and pushed the midtone curve up a bit and shipped it. Not much time for anything else.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 7, 2019

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Much better, ty

Just a riff on your actual joke, I saw yours and assumed you had already done the eyes.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Maybe picnics used to be a lot more dangerous.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

My local paper has cancelled Non Sequitur. Dude really did not think this through.

Mine too, and replaced it with Wallace.

Mistakes into miracles dot jpeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I wonder if Dustin is trying to draw some kind of parallel between the kid and the dad of, like, a general family uselessness. That they're more alike than either of them is willing to admit and all the friction in their relationship builds out of the dad seeing so much of himself at that age (and thus invalidating his, "stop being lazy and work hard to succeed" advice) and the son seeing himself slowly turning into his dad, being terrible with women and generally just a lump.

If that's what the comic is trying to do, it needs to do so much more explicitly, I think. Give us a 2-3 week storyline where we get the theme REALLY hammered home. Otherwise it means I'm just reading more nuance into the strip than it deserves just because the art is good, and that makes me kind of bummed out.