Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis is a comic strip about a healthy, happy, well-adjusted married couple in their late fifties / early sixties. You'd think this would be exceptionally boring, but it's one of my favorite comic strips, ever.

Tina's Groove Classic is a slice-of-life comic strip about a waitress that recently ended, but I liked it too much to not see it every day, so I decided to start reposting older strips from ~10 years ago. Its author, Rina Piccolo, now collaborates on Rhymes with Orange with Hilary Price.

Arlo and Janis Classic is Arlo and Janis from ~20 years ago. Interestingly, in this strip, you'll see their son, Gene, trying to contrive an excuse to visit a motel that they've visited a few times before. He has a crush on the proprietor's daughter, and will, eventually, marry her (but not after many, many years apart, and her becoming a single mother).

Garfield Classic is Garfield. Come on. A long while back, I decided to start posting old Garfield strips to see if they were actually ever any good, or if my soft child brain just enjoyed them because they were colorful and pleasant and easy. It turned out that old Garfield can be hilarious; whatever reputation it's earned now as a "zombie" strip, with phoned-in jokes and copy-pasted panels, there was, once, skilled artwork and great jokes in Garfield. Today's is not a very good example of that, but back then they actually did make "cats being cats" jokes as well, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 10, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 10, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 10, 1987)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 11, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 11, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 11, 1987)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

They might have been married when introduced as characters back in the day.
https://www.markcarlson-ghost.com/index.php/2017/04/10/mary-worth-history/

I'm impressed and a little jealous that, through some means or another (he only cites some storylines as being collected and reprinted), this fellow has read a long-running drama strip from the beginning.

This is a neat article. I've had a suspicion I'd like, or at least appreciate, comics like Mary Worth more if I could read great big chunks of them at once, especially those that introduce major or currently-relevant characters (even if they're laaaaaaaame)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 12, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 12, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 12, 1987)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/ohhoe/status/1081314920526954496?s=19

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 13, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 13, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 13, 1987)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

So why don't they make the entire body out of the liver?

:rimshot:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 14, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 14, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 14, 1987)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 15, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 15, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 15, 1987)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

:siren:GOON DERAIL INCOMING:siren:

Tina's Groove Classic (June 16, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 16, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 16, 1987)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jonathan "Linda" K. here believing that a single drop of Frank's Red Hot diffused throughout a 9" x 13" casserole is some sort of insane breach of trust, like Aunt Karen just chucking an entire fugu into the cream of mushroom

ETA:

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 8, 2019

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

inevitable:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 17, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 17, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 17, 1987)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Huxley posted:

How old are these two? I'm not sure if we're "summer home from college" or more like late high school.

Late high school. Gene is still sort-of dating Ruth.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Bloop posted:

I pegged him as late middle school.

Freshman in high school tops.

There haven't been any strips about him driving or anything like that, have there?

Now that you mention it, I think you're righter than I am.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 18, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 18, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 18, 1987)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 19, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 19, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 19, 1987)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 20-21, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 20-21, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 20-21, 1987)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 22, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 22, 1997)

:confused:

Garfield Classic (June 22, 1987)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Heathcliff Old and New -- I'm actually hitting a point where I prefer Old Healthcliff? Old Heathcliff does things, he's way more physical - yeah, it's less surreal, but there's more punch to the punchlines aside from "wtf is going on"

The artwork in old Heathcliff is miles better, for sure. I'm glad Heathcliff is still around, and that it's been allowed to become its own weird thing rather than trying to ape decades' worth of This Cat is Bad jokes. I almost feel like the caption-removing experiment you did would have worked better with old Heathcliff than new!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 23, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 23, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 23, 1987)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Pluggers

What's a "light bill"?

Monthly bill for electricity and natural gas usage. Calling it "the light bill" is probably an idiom on its way out; the last person I heard call it that died seventeen years ago.

The joke is that she's using the printed utility bill she received in the mail (also something likely on its way out) as a bookmark. I think everyone has used a piece of mail as a bookmark before.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 24, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 24, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 24, 1987)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Ran into this in my youtube recs recently - an Andy Capp-based ad for a british cash wire service.

That is really pleasingly animated.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 25, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 25, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 25, 1987)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 26, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 26, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 26, 1987)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

lmao at Manuel quietly posting the exact same Compu-Toon three days in a row

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I'm so glad y'all are liking the storyline in A&J Classic and, for those of you who haven't read ahead (I mean obviously we know they end up married, but I'm talking about the granular day-to-day [no pun intended]), you're going to love the next week or so.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 27, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 27, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 27, 1987)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 28, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 28, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 28, 1987)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 29, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 29, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 29, 1987)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 30, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 30, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 30 1987)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Oh, I had a dream in which I read a new Heathcliff strip. Heathcliff was sitting behind one of those little "kid selling lemonade / psychiatric advice" booths in his front yard, looking smug and composed as ever, and two kids were standing on the sidewalk a few steps away. One was looking into a paper bag and speaking. The caption was "It's just random fistfuls of pills from Grandpa's cabinet."

ETA: ^^

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 22, 2019

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

This is the first Tinkersons I think I've ever legitimately liked. Go get her, whatever your name is. Tweetie? Is that it?

Tinkersons is a good comic. I'm not going to argue with anyone who doesn't like the art, but the writing and characters have really grown on me. When it debuted in this thread, I thought it was going to be another hate-read, but nope! I look forward to it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 1, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 1, 1997)

Garfield Classic (July 1, 1987)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I think this arc is interesting - and throwing some readers - because we're used to seeing A & J as cool, progressive people (which they are!) but here they're being parents, and specifically parents of a teenage boy, with all that implies. It seems Gene broke a couple of rules: he wasn't supposed to have been gone as long as he was, and he definitely wasn't supposed to be alone with a teenage girl. Gene tried to play it cool in front of Mary Lou ("I sort of come and go as I please") but, yeah, nope.

I think it's clear that they're not mad at Mary Lou; they're worried about her. And I think they're also worried about their kid falling for a pregnant girl who lives in another city and making her problems his own on a longer-term and more serious basis than one would as "just a friend," probably because they're both romantics and could see that happening to themselves at that age.

I mean, from where we're sitting now, we can see the irony, but that future is a long way from the summer of '97.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Now all I can think about is how much I want a statue.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 2, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 2, 1997)

Garfield Classic (July 2, 1987)

Transmodiar posted:

Any chance you could post more per day? I dig this strip, would like to see more of it, and, with a 20 year backlog, you'd never catch up with the present day.

I hate to turn down such a genuine request, but I I really do like the one-a-day pace - it works better for me and for, I think, this particular genre of comic strip. Gives the jokes and beats room to breathe. I don't really ever believe I am going to catch up! I'm not intending to replace the GoComics archive with my posts, just contribute a tiny bit to our community-made set of daily funny pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mikl posted:

This is the dumbest thing. How do you even organise a race for fifty million people (at least)? The logistics alone are impossible to think of. Also why do runners go to distant planets to train? Can't they just train on their own planet?

:psyduck:

Fred Fredericks, the writer/artist of this Mandrake storyline, also inked four issues of Marvel Comics' Quasar back in the 90s, two separate issues of which series involved a galactic footrace, and a mysterious runner who turned out to be a very thinly-disguised Flash, warped into the Marvel Universe after his apparent death in Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Fredericks didn't work on either of those issues, by the way. I just thought it was interesting.