Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Ahhhh....yeah. Yeahhhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

One day I'll leave. One day.

Also don't forget that April in Foob is A: the only family member not based on a real person from LJ's life and B: ironically the only one who gets away from it all with a happy ending because she's A Bad Daughter Who Dislikes Family And Love And Family And Togetherness And Destiny And Family

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

April killed Farley through her own negligence. :colbert:
Neglectful parenting is lucky to have resulted in the death of a dog and not the death of a child. Also she was four and they never forgave her for it. :colbert:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

1: I knew Serra would be the bad guy in NSM because new characters who aren't super are often evil but I'm still holding out hope for her to rip her face off and be Chameleon or Mysterio.
2: thanks holbrook for having an adult woman call her father daddy as part of a time travel reveal. no way to drop that info without showing your power level huh.
3: go figure Not Dave Strider has the time-displaced kid.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Well congrats, you introduced time travel so now Safe Havens is a comic strip about time travel and nothing else.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Okay, this has been bugging me ever since the first time I read this page lo all those many years ago. Does that sink actually have running water?
Oh probably not but it's all part of the misdirection.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Nice.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

yessssss, YESSSSSSS, THE TIME TRAVEL BULLSHIT BEGIIIIINS :kheldragar:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Strontium posted:

random Intelligent Life

Really loving weird to see an IL strip that has perspective changes and angles and...action and poo poo as opposed to two to three people from the waist up all B^U about their costume fetishes.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

In all seriousness Comic Lady has a decent point but hooboy the new week is just gonna be Funky Winkerbean talking about feminism in comic books huh. That's your followup to Funky's dad hangin' dong all over the rest home huh.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

It would be great if BoyLisa and Mopey Pete just...stopped this. Stopped all of this. Just went the hell away and stopped it.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

In the Funkyverse, you have to EARN the sweet release of death. You can only embrace oblivion after you've accumulated enough sadness and misery and pain and hopelessness.

Miles to go before you sleep, and all that.
Then get cancer faster, goddamn you!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

"NEW YEAR NEW PREGNANCY SUBPLOT" screams Holbrook as he rapidly removes his pants.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Today on Dystopian Capitalist Cannibal Hell World: our heroes shoot a snuff film.

Also gently caress that was a real good edit to that Family Circus, god drat, I sincerely believed.

And echoing the sentiment that Jamal is good. Still not a fan of the facial stylings but I'm enjoying the fact that he's telling a story and repeatedly building to a climax as opposed to doing something for a week and then doing something else. He's got a good handle on keeping it all contained under one thread but throwing in good digressions and escalations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Poor Gary, trapped by the crafty wiles of the Fronch...

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

Those were two separate analyses. Yes, I believe she's also blank to function as an archetype.

The comment about towering-over was in regard to placing him down on the curb next to Jamal for the reveal of his face - there's a partial reveal during the argument with the cop but why wasn't that the full reveal? Having him sit on the curb next to his brother while, presumably, his mother argues with the policeman shifts the frame of who he is from a (justifiably) angry black teen to a mother's son by equivocating him and Jamal through attitude, body position, and expression. Revealing his face asks the reader to connect with his character as something other than an abstract - doing it during the conflict with the policeman would inherently also ask the reader to take a side in the conflict, but doing it in a moment of understood vulnerability asks the reader to simply sympathise with the feeling of vulnerability induced by the conflict, which itself has been momentarily abstracted by being moved completely out of frame.
Correct, it's properly personalizing Jermaine and fleshing him out. The longer we see Jermaine, the smaller and more human he gets, going from big fuckoff shoes to sitting on the curb next to his brother absolutely gobsmacked about where things will go next.

I'm really sorry if I just repeated what you said but Jamal is shaping up to have a lot of nice little symbolic tricks and meanings as it unfolds and I seriously can't overstate how this has all taken place over the same period as an overarching story (Jermaine takes Jamal to his girlfriend's house) but doesn't feel like an unnatural shift of the current focus, it flows organically and naturally as poo poo happens.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

catlord posted:

Oh, and what is up with that On The Fastrack?
It's bad.

Which? Yes.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

God drat it, wasn't expecting that from you, DSOTH.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Aww, dang it. I figured if anyone would pull that trick it'd be Horse. Ah well.

And hell yeah Retail is back. On the downside, Holbrook's ????phobia continues to rear its ugly head, where our heroes trick someone into reverting to their old self to "teach them a lesson". I'd call it transphobia but that implies he went into this with a metaphor in mind as opposed to a mind full of fetishes.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 22, 2019

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Not an emptyquote because I also want to say hell yeah Shauna.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Man that's an unexpectedly dark Bizarro.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Alright so what the gently caress was this entire Mark Trail story arc.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Thank you for your help. Maybe it would have made more sense if it was capable of pacing itself reasonably and not just having uncomfortable tight shots of half-melted people in a monochromatic void mumbling about danger.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

but enough about funky winkerbean
Ayyyyy.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Savidudeosoo posted:

I honestly don't know what I'd do if someone yelled "Stop it! You're being Vulgar!" at me.
Swear more and get creative with it?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

FrumpleOrz posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Dude bi. So what?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

Remember that this is the strip where GHulk destroyed a man's marriage because he noticed the dude had a bunch of kids and realized that any man who could successfully impregnate a woman on so many occasions must be gay.

Bi does not exist.

Secure enough in your sexuality that you can appreciate another man's form without it being a big deal does not exist.

Falling in love with a woman's "art" and having sex with her but still being fully homosexual and not bi at all does exist.
:colbert: I'm gonna continue to exist as a bi man to spite some weird cartoonist with an overinflated sense of self and I hope others join me in this endeavor of staying the course and being true to ourselves. I'm not limiting this to dudes or dude-presenting individuals. All is welcome to spite Brooke McEldowney.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Rex Morgan really should have saved all of this action for a Sunday strip because this is just ploddingly stupid.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Darthemed posted:

NOT
ENOUGH
LABELS
Yeah, how am I supposed to know that's Dethany From On The Fast Track? That could be *any* newspaper goth named Dethany.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Awww, Shawna and Dan.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Poor Nekonaughey's been doodnapped.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

I've seen this theme a lot in Foob. "There, you see? The children don't even LIKE misbehaving! They only do it because they're assholes! Because all children, without exception, are assholes!"
I'm just hung up on "let's see if we can watch two of our classmates gently caress under the bleachers WAIT THEY'RE DRINKING WHAT THE THAT'S TERRIBLE".

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

God Ian from Mary Worth really has to shave that stupid beard, it just does not fit with his facial structure and hair and couldn't be solved with the addition of a mustache.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Johnny Walker posted:

I think it's Amos in his brown socks, but I'll accept the cuck fetish theory.
Yeah that guy is clearly the type to wear big ol' dark socks like those.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Dammit Luann don't get my hopes up with someone like Pru existing.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Daddy Daze is coming in strong for latest surprisingly endearing strip with a good parent/kid relationship.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

She found some poor people money.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Good: further pregnancy avoided for the time being.
Bad: now they're going to be all mopey about it.
Better: they kidnap a child and raise it.
Worse: pregnancy happens anyway because accidents and also love.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Angular Cyrus posted:

That's a trashcan.
To be fair it's where all of these inane pregnancy plotlines belong. Open-palm slam your cyberchild into the digital shredder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

nerdman42 posted:

Its kind of wild how more on-point Mary Worth seems with modern culture/online dating than Luann, considering who they're marketed to.
Yeah it's amazing, that and this is like legitimately entertaining. That cat was an rear end in a top hat to Mary, a lady just smoked dramatically a whole bunch for an ill-considered plan, this whole thing...have the Mary Worth creators rediscovered what fun and excitement is and started to bring it back into the strip?