Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens FOR gently caress'S SAKE, HOW DOES IT KEEP GETTING WORSE?

Wouldn't she have realized years ago when she "did" the older one's genetic profile that they were related?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Pretty much how I quit my job at Target in college. I called them up and said "I'm not coming in....ever"

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

And Toni was concerned about what they would think of the paint color. These idiots.

I hope they pulled permits for that construction.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

I appreciate this reference!

Since I guessed the permit issue in Luann I will treat myself to a new avatar tomorrow!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Ding ding ding!

I bought myself a comic themed award!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 20-21, 1997)

This might have been brought up previously and I just missed it, but isn't this the girl he ends up marrying and opening a cafe at the beach with?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Edit: Not sure how this ended up in the wrong thread.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I gotta be honest. I have no freaking idea what order the Cheer Up Boss Dharma comic panels are suppose to be read in.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Holbrook definately has a pregnancy fetish.

Growing up we use to call the crust of a pizza after you eat the pizza part "pizza bones". They kind of look like ribs!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

MariusLecter posted:

How anticlimactic and pointless.

Rats love carrots? They are true omnivores.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Yup. I work in print, can confirm: the brighter one is likely RGB for screen viewing, the other has been converted to CMYK for print.

Why no, I don't have to explain this difference to people on an almost-daily basis; why do you ask?

My other guess was that since they are gifs, one of them just saves it out with lesser colors or something.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Huxley posted:

There are formulas the press guys handling negatives probably knew back in the 70s and 80s to control it, but in practice we always just opened the final image and pushed the midtone curve up a bit and shipped it. Not much time for anything else.

I'm surprised this can't be automated in some way!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

FrumpleOrz posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Guess he's never heard of the Westermark effect. Why do people romanticize the idea of finding your "true love" when you're a kid?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

Neil Gaiman did it first.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My favorite cheap dinner is a box of mac and cheese, a can of peas (or peas and carrots), and a can of tuna. If its your thing, some Franks on it adds a little zip.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Aleph Null posted:

We make a quick comfort food thing when one of us feels puny. It's velveeta shells 'n cheese, a can of mushrooms, two cans of tuna, a can of cream of mushroom soup, a can of peas, and some milk all cooked together. It's pretty good and we have leftovers.

edit: cannot believe I was beaten to mac 'n cheese and tuna and peas.

:hf:
Seriously, try it with some Franks splashed on top.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

I thought when this whole stupid storyline started they made it a point to say the mermaids were from mars?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I love how this comic has such a dark, depressing undertone of the ennui of being a white, middle class, suburban housewife.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Kavak posted:

:confused: This is the least offensive Dustin I've seen yet. He's not making GBS threads on his son or on his generation or service workers, just modern CGI crap.

If you ever actually watch older movies outside of a few notable exceptions, they are a mess. The plot is really meandering, the shots are boring an uninspiring, etc. Modern cinema from a technical standpoint is really fantastic. Its approached as its own medium now rather than a filmed play which is the aesthetic a lot of older movies have. Its really grown into itself as its own storytelling medium. Saying "huurrr durrr modern movies all CGI am I rite?" is super lazy.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm going to charitably assume you're referring to off the beaten path movies like Vargo was because in terms of popular film that simply isn't true at all.

Like I said with a few exceptions, a lot of movies that came out when Ed would be talking about were pretty garbagy from a technical standpoint. If you want to go the super hero route, compare the 60's batman movie to a modern super hero movie.

Edit: The things like consistent use of storyboards and pre-production now a days has really helped with that. You can tell which "classic" directors relied on those techniques because their films still stand out as being excellent.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 16, 2019

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

I mean if this is what you mean by fantastic from a technical standpoint then yeah, sure, movies are better than they were in Ed's days. But practically speaking what you're saying isn't any different than saying that movies are better now because they cost more money to make. Consistent use of storyboards and pre-production have not solved the problems of meandering plots and boring camerawork and I'm honestly not sure what mainstream movies you've seen in the last ten years that would give you the impression that they had.

I'm not saying all modern movies are amazing, I'm saying a lot more older movies were loving trainwrecks that olds tend to forget about because they haven't actually watched them in a long time.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Will this ever be addressed?
https://nacams.org/nail-technicians/states/

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Dammit. I almost posted this yesterday!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUOxBJvT41Q

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

They are great for tooth faeries though! It makes it seem fancier.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Man, Gene's kid looks just like him.

Yes, I realize it's a drawing.

Not sure if this is facetious but Meg isn't his kid.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

...and then the solar winds whisk it all away. The End.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Bell peppers have even more!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Luxrage posted:

Ham-Rusk:

Absolultely would.

Sounds a lot like ham salad. Depending on where you live, they usually sell it at the deli.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I looked and couldn't find information about how many papers 9CL is in now.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Reading the Giving Tree as an adult was......interesting. Its a pretty horrible book. I made that one disappear out of my kid's collection. It really needs to stop being a children's "classic".

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Huxley posted:

The giving tree is more like a time bomb parents leave in their kids' subconscious, ready to explode when they read it to their own kids 20 years later.

We definitely leave it in rotation because I adore SS and had all three of his poetry collections 100% memorized as a kid. I honestly don't even find it all that sad, more a matter-of-fact interpretation of maternal love, but I came from that kind of background and not one of abuse (the other big interpretation, which is pretty easy to understand).

It's such a simple story, it's not hard to see how people so easily project their own background onto it (and why it's so emotional, no matter how you interpret it).

I don't know what your gender is, but as a woman, the ideas in that book are really really lovely towards how a woman should show love (even maternal love) and how they should be treated. If it was written now a-days I'd assume Lynn Johnston wrote it to show how much of a martyr she was towards her ungrateful kids that she sacrificed so much of her self for.

Maternal love has nothing to do with sacrificing your self wholly (physical, mental, or sense of) for your unappreciative kid. Its a real hosed up blueprint for kids to think what their parents should do or what a parent should do for their kid.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

How come no boy babies are ever born in this pregnancy fetish universe?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Kennel posted:

Nancy

Is she telling us that she hates making comics now?

Dammit, Nancy Teacher. Stop copying me.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm opposed to the idea that you can or should substitute meat with a meat analogue and treat it as the real thing. I know a place that does fantastic lentil and bean burgers, as good as a meat burger in their own way without needing to pretend, and this whole "substitutes just like meat!" thing seems to invalidate the efforts of the folks who bust their asses to make and prepare them. You should be able to enjoy a tofu or lentil burger for what it is and elevate yourself above the "I'm supposed to be eating meat" mindset that's gotten us in this environmental mess, or you'll just continually feel like you're missing out. And every once in a while you should be able to treat yourself to a beef or chicken burger for an occasion.

But on the general "eat less meat" side of it, I'm with Tinkersons.

I agree. I like eating vegetarian options sometimes and I like eating meat options sometimes. Its strange that people think you can't eat vegetarian food unless you don't eat meat. Fake meat chicken patties are far superior to real meat chicken patties though.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Most of the customers at Kafe Kablooie are grown-rear end men? What are they thinking that place is, Hooters?

Tiff works the diner all day working for her man, she bring home her pay, for love...for love...

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Like teachers can afford to go away on vacations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Tiggum posted:

She should really just move into her own place. She has two jobs and, despite Ann's influence, her father is still supporting her to an extent, so she should be able to afford it. At worst she could get a room in a share house. Get away from all these terrible people.

Its usually a lot cheaper than what colleges charge for dorms too.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Kennel posted:

Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Hooray! My avatar has a name now.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

This popped up on my facebook. Its nice to see professionals are still into this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157306662819715&set=a.280982554714&type=3&theater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

....but what about the mermaids being from mars! That's been completely forgotten. :argh: