Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Thanks Ghostlight for the new thread. I look forward to getting back to some erotic speculation about comic strip characters!

And also thanks, Kennel! We must never forget!

So here are the comics I usually post with brief synopses:

F Minus is a gag-a-day comic that I think is usually pretty funny and good.

Macanudo is only about 4 months old as far as being in English, but has been popular for years internationally (it is from Argentina originally. I want to like it but it is mostly cloying by trying to be whimsical and there have been maybe 5 comics I would say I liked. However, the art is great.

Mark Trail is a long-running nature/adventure strip. Current storyline is Mark is in Mexico with Cherry (wife) and Rusty (son) visiting an archaeologist friend Dr Carter (hurr) and Rusty has hooked up with another girl and they are following some artifact smugglers.

Mary Worth is a long-running soap strip about an old woman who meddles in the affairs of her neighbors. Current storyline involves a student having a crush on Professor Ian while his much-younger wife takes him for granted.

"Now can you help me up?"

The Phantom is a long-running adventure strip about the Phantom, who is part of a family line that over hundreds of years have pretended to be an immortal ghost to fight pirates and other bad people. He's in Africa. A tribe is in on it. Weekday story is different from weekend. We're kind of wrapping up a story where his daughter, Heloise, the true next Phantom, caught the big international terrorist the Nomad. She's on the run from the law now with her roommate and future partner in crimefighting and in love (I am not giving up on this), the Nomad's daughter, Kadia.

Pooch Cafe is a funny strip about a dog and his family. There's really nothing more to this but I really think it's funny and good. Sometimes it's a gag-a-day, sometimes there are storylines that last days and weeks. I do like that the creator doesn't seem to stick to a gag just because he has to fill a week like a lot of comics do. If he can only get 3 days of jokes, he moves on.

Rex Morgan MD is another long-running soap strip about a doctor and his family, friends, and patients. He has a wife, June, a you daughter Sarah (5-6-ish), a toddler son Michael, and an adopted toddler Johnny. Right now some drunk homeless veteran guy that one of the characters, Jared, knew got a new kidney and Jared is trying to help him get back on the right track while opening a restaurant and dealing with his own war trauma.

Andertoons is a gag-a-day one-panel that is frequently good for a chuckle. I really like it. He gets a surprising amount of traction from charts in office presentations.

Apartment 3-G is a long-running soap strip and I started posting the classic ones when they ceased making new ones. Right now a new friend of the A3G girls is a really nice guy who became a collection agent and is really bad at it because he tries to help people but got pushed down the stairs and severely injured by some douchebag anyways.

Edit: Holy crap I forgot to post it.

"It was a shark!"

I also post classic Flash Gordon Sundays on Sunday.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

Who the gently caress gave you a Guy Gilchrist red-text avatar, what could you ever have done to deserve that?
Pretty sure this is why. Don't know who.

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

Mary Worth is fun to edit.

It's true.

I completely forgot last year started with Wilbur getting his heart broken.

Then a forgettable Tommy love story.

Finally old man Wynter.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

:smith:

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Kids Say the Darnedest Things MD

Andertoons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvbQKSaYQD8

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

fondue posted:

I'm confused as to what order to read the panels?

Some Guy TT posted:

1-----4
2-----5
3-----6
--------
7----10
8----11
9----12
Took me a minute to understand what this part of Some Guy TT's earlier post was about too. Read down the left side for three panels, then back up to the right, then the same on the lower half.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

You can pick a tasteful wall color and then let the kid help picking out like bedspreads and poo poo. You can even narrow the wall color down to several choices and let the kid pick her favorite. It's not an all or nothing deal.
Boy it's a good thing TJ is leaving the room. I hope they don't do too much damage to the room they're building when this mild disagreement over decorating escalates into the kind of violent confrontation this sort of disagreement inevitably becomes.

F Minus

What about Ted's needs?

Macanudo

Pretty good.

Mark Trail

"That...doesn't sound like good news, Joe."

Mary Worth

Jesus Toby how low an opinion do you have of your husband that the idea that someone would actually like him is that impossible to you?

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I'm sure they can reschedule Rex's three patients.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

TofuDiva posted:

Fake edit: turns out that the same Kohler who started the bathtub company did start a resort-spa, so I'm not sure where that leaves the joke.
I think it's just that the (apparently fictional) American Standard spa is cheaper in every way compared to the luxurious and classy Kohler spa.

That's just a guess, but it's all I can think of since they are in a place with a men's and women's room so it's not a hotel room and he is wearing a paper robe so it's not like a showroom or something.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

Lady, you just yelled at the kids for turning the heat up too high like, five minutes ago.

1. It's only occurred to you now, AFTER you did all this construction, that you don't own this house and can't just do what you want willy-nilly?

2. Letting a child pick her favorite out of a few paint swatches will definitely kick off her moral degradation

3. Thank you, colorist, from the bottom of my heart, for picking a background wall color strikingly similar to one of those puce examples posted above.
I am not sure their marriage survive this conflict.

F Minus

In my day you had to at least go through high school!

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Tiggum posted:

Mary Worth

:lol:

Now the pure, uncut, Mary Worth

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Isn't she literally the daughter of the ambassador for their country?
It appears she is not an ambassador, but she works at the UN, in what capacity I cannot say. She also has an Olympic medal and a black belt in karate.

I'm sure Heloise could call her and get some help, but why would she when...

The Phantom

...she can name-drop the freaking president of Bangalla instead.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Andertoons is seriously one of the most consistently funny comics I post. I love this poo poo.

Apartment 3-G

Bryan is a drat saint.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Catellite posted:

Is sitting next to coach guy and mocking his career this mans entire existence? I only vaguely follow Smirky Wankerbean, but I don't think I've ever seen him do anything else or interact with other characters. Is he supposed to be a metaphor for brain damage or depression or something? I mean, moreso than every character in it is.
iirc, the bald guy is called Bull and does in fact have brain damage from his high school football days, and I think the other guy was a player on an opposing team from back then.

For those in need of context, Mike Peters is a liberal. That's not his best one by any means, but he does some decent political cartoons.

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"Wait...you mean talk? To my husband?"

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I checked, and I'm sure someone here can confirm, but while Arizona gets some snow (including just recently over the new year), measurable snow in Phoenix is indeed rare (flurries less so). Therefore, I say Rex's statement that they don't get snow "like we have here" is accurate.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Outbursts of Everett True

Oh a rare strip when Everett got the best of Mrs True! As I recall, she usually is the only one that puts him in his place.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Yvonmukluk posted:

Basically all you need is to have read it from the start, which I've been posting in the thread(s) since last year. I don't think there's any story where you explicitly need to have read any of the prior Bobbins/Scary Go Round stuff.
Here is where it started last thread.

I never read it before it showed up here and while I get some characters mixed up sometimes and miss some of the backstory references made sometimes and stuff like that I still enjoy it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

Before the name was bolted to the legacy of the Time-Warner media megalith, there was a whole other Life Magazine, a weekly that was effectively the American answer to Punch. While there were written pieces, the founder was a professional illustrator and it was one of the first periodicals to use a new high quality printing process, so the big draw was the art. Life v.1.0 was the launching point for Charles Dana Gibson, who eventually became a big enough deal that he bought the magazine, and his Gibson girls. Over the years, its pages hosted Robert Ripley, Norman Rockwell, Palmer Cox, H.T. Webster...and, eventually, some dude (and (no fooling) future Olympic medalist in drawing and watercolors) named Percy Crosby.
Every time I think Percy Crosby can't be more interesting, I learn something new like this.

I also find it weird that some categories have "No Prize Awarded" for the top prize in the category, but they have a second place. :confused:

F Minus

Precocious Little Girl Loves Books and Her Adorable Cat Friend Remarks On This to Her Precious Teddy Bear with a Cute Name and that Is Today's Strip

Mark Trail

This lion may as well already be in stuffed in the den of either an American dentist or one of the president's sons.

Mary Worth

Toby should have known what she was getting into when she tried to tame the Ian "Wild Oats" Cameron.

The Phantom

I've never heard of the US military stealing African grey parrots, but I can't say it surprises me.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon October 1961

NEXT WEEK—HABIB!

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 6, 2019

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

I am disappointed they strayed from the correct lyrics.

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

I felt genuine panic as I scrolled down, and also genuine relief at the last panel. Weird.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

Alley Oop is the latest comic to get a reboot. It's about a time travelling caveman. The new version starts today.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/26/arts/design/alley-oop-comic-strip.html

Hey the writer is one of the Nib regulars! I look forward to seeing how this plays out!

F Minus

Macanudo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4IiGBwSBUE

Maybe I'm being too hard on the artist, but I find it hard to believe this kid is dancing around to some deep cut Talking Heads track.

Mark Trail

Tiggum posted:

Mary Worth

Not far from the reality.
Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Holy poo poo I'm not even sure you get that much leg room in first class.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

How does he know Tommie regularly kills terminally ill patients?

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 7, 2019

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I kind of like the twist of "Concerned Father/Indifferent Mother Dustin."
:lol: that's what I thought of too

F Minus

Macanudo

That's it. That's today's strip.

Mark Trail

Does "si" require the diacritical mark?

Mary Worth

HR probably has thoughts on the matter too.

The Phantom

That's a pretty good panel there.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Looks like the Morgans are going to adopt another one.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

"Well, thanks for the ride, I'll just get out here and...why won't these doors open?"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Does code enforcement just show up at your house because neighbors saw you bring in a bunch of lumber and drywall? I mean I can kind of believe that there are neighbors who would report something like that, but it's not like they have the right to come into your home for a snap inspection.

F Minus

That white dog is guilty of something.

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

You can order a print of this comic on Comics Kingdom, if you are so inclined.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Andy Capp

November 29, 1957

"That's what I keep tellin' Florrie. beer never hurt anybody."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Beer_Flood

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

tracy.jpg

Isn't this supposed to be a "Minute Mystery"? I figured those would be more straightforward "here is crime here are suspects you solve?" than this.

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

These cave dog comics have been pretty good.

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Nice of him to offer to help them indulge their fetish.

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Well, let me see if I can remember off the top of my head: Mark took Cherry and Rusty to Mexico for a vacation. They are staying at a resort without electricity or running water for some reason. They helped save a whale. Rusty met a girl on the plane who is staying at the same place. They decided to start hanging out together. Mark and Rusty went to meet Mark's archaeologist friend Howard Carter (derp). Rusty and the girl witnessed one of his assistants apparently stealing relics and giving it to someone. It seems they also replaced the relics with fakes to fool Carter. Rusty and the girl got a ride with an undercover cop, posing as a driver of a weird van/50s-car hybrid who likes to take naps named Jose. He took them to Santa Poco for Three Amigos references. He called another undercover cop to follow the kids and "get them out of the way" (we were supposed to think this meant kill them when it wasn't what was meant at all it was a clever ruse!) so they can continue their investigation into the relic stealing thing. This cop is disguised as a biker. He approaches the kids and they run away because he looks like a scary biker. He chases them through the streets on a big noisy motorcycle because that will calm things down. The kids get away by going through a hole in a wall in a dead-end alley. At some point they found the assistant stealing relics and planted Rusty's phone in his pack which they tracked with an app on the girl's phone (I am not sure if this happened at this point or earlier). They follow the guy. The biker cop follows them, and falls into someone's house, where he talks to them, eats a churro, and jumps out the window after giving the people there a bunch of money he just had on him to pay the damage. Biker cop catches up with the kids as they reach the house where the assistant is trading relics with criminals. The crooks discover the kids followed him here when Rusty's phone rings because Cherry called to check on him. Meanwhile, Jose the other undercover cop who likes naps tells Mark what's going on. Mark is concerned. The biker cop calls as they are talking and tells them the kids might be in trouble, so they rush in Jose's vancar back to Santa Poco. They get there just as the kids are being lured into the hideout, and now Mark is running up to the door, where it seems he has recognized someone.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

There is a vast number of annoyingly stupid gags in Holbrook's oeuvre. This is now one of them.

StrixNebulosa posted:

If anyone else is wondering why biting off his fingers would give him a fear of water, apparently it used to be a term used to describe people with rabies.

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Oh yeah I remember that that was...January 2016??

Also note, James Allen recycled the face in panel one and the one in the background of panel two yesterday, and the guy posing in the foreground was reused a few days ago.

Tiggum posted:

Mary Worth

Didn't have to change much, did you?

Mary Worth

Note the use of the phallic candlestick with two ball-shaped salt-and-pepper shakers at its base. This level of symbolism is rare in comic books in general, much less in Mary Worth, and should be appreciated.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"So you just keep the booze coming, Doc, and this ride will go just fine."

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

This one is very versatile.

F Minus

Actually that's a good idea.

Macanudo

I think this is a funny one.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

This story feels familiar.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 13, 2019

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Some Guy TT posted:

I vaguely remember there being a week where its revealed that not-Quagmire still lives with his mom and was all smug about it with Skip. Although a playdate still begs the question of why no parents punished him for burying Skip's toy. Does anyone remember not-Quagmire's actual name?
He did live with his mom, and then he moved into the apartment next door to Skip.

Samovar posted:

In today's Corto Maltese: A drive-by like no other, or Rasputin channels the spirit of Yakov Yurovsky, or Corto gets in a particular mood with Rasputin. Can you guess which mood? Three guess and the first two don't count.
It looks like you double posted the 4th page, missing the 3rd.

Also I'll take this chance to thank you for posting this comic too. I like it a lot.

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The strongest marriages are the ones where one spouse is afraid to be honest about their feelings.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I'm usually good for the middle of the flight too, except when I periodically remember that there is little between me and 30,000 feet of nothingness. Also, if there's turbulence.

That said, I wonder if this story is going to be all about one of those in-flight meltdowns that happen. If this guy starts ranting about foreigners and Trump, I don't know what I'll do.

Andertoons

Flash Gordon November 1961

It's HABIB!, as promised.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 13, 2019

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Arbetor posted:

This has been bugging me since I saw this in the paper this morning. Any other creator and I would assume the symbols are random, but I know Bill Amend would have a valid substitution. So, it's 25 into 650 equals 26. Round cell is 0, splat is 1, oval blob is 2, rectangle is 5, and the one with cilia is 6.

I also had a few teachers in high school that would have given credit for this.
I figured there was a legit substitution but I only got as far as the 0s and then got lost. Thanks for this!

As far as Ian and Toby in Mary Worth, they apparently have been married since they were introduced to the strip.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Is this something that used to happen with box macaroni in the 70s?

Tiggum posted:

I've been wondering for a while why Dustin keeps going to whatever this place is. If it were Australia I'd assume it was a mandatory job network meeting but presumably that's not a thing in America. Is he paying her? What is the supposed purpose of these meetings? Does he have to keep showing up for some reason? Neither of them ever seems to get any value from it.
She works at a temp agency/headhunter place. They are middlemen between workers and employers. Sometimes it's to fill a temporary position, sometimes it's to have an employee without going through putting them on payroll or giving them benefits, which may or may not lead to a permanent position.

But now that I think about it, in my experience you almost never meet them in person after you interview with them. After that it's all email/phone calls.

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Goddammit I hate that Toby was right.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

Oh, is that actually supposed to be Superman? I honestly just assumed it was someone wearing a Superman T-shirt.
I think an additional level to this joke is that it used to be something many people did regularly. If you were using a pay phone, you probably checked the coin return almost on reflex. So I guess the idea that Superman has a human foible like like that just like everyone else is kinda funny.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Edit: Forgot this. Olivia Jaimes won one of this places comics industry persons of the year awards along with Stan Lee.

Olivia Jaimes posted:

I’m touched and honored— thank you. Please continue to give me many awards.
A 'flue' is both a word commonly used to describe influenza and also a part of a chimney, and that man is an old-timey chimney sweep.
So that is the real Bizarro, huh.

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Isn't that guy also named Jose? Does James Allen just have a limited number of Spanish names?

Mary Worth

Pretty sure vape pens don't smoke like that, but I'm no expert.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

:confused:

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 15, 2019

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Wait whose dog is that anyways?

F Minus

The buzzing would give it away.

Little Girl Likes Books #184

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

OK I'm still mad that Toby was right, and once again Brigman is hilariously incapable of drawing people holding things like people hold things, but mainly I don't see why this girl would assume she's already got him in her pocket. He's had a few polite conversations with her.

The Phantom

"I am soooo getting a promotion."

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"I took the goddam Bears to the goddam Super Bowl, and I want a goddam drink NOW!"

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

Safe Havens

Better than the original.

Vargo posted:

I was really sad to overshadow one of my favorite Wallace strips with that Jamal. Maybe I should have posted them separately.
I actually think I enjoyed the Wallace more. Just because it was funny and that's usually what I look for in comic strips. I really like Jamal but it's a different thing.

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

*For the Ghost Who Flies a Helicopter

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Goddammit Carl!

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Maybe his children just kind of faded away without explanation later, like Chuck Cunningham from Happy Days or that one sister who disappeared on Family Matters.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

Hahaha! Ok!
That man should be shot.

Shai-Hulud posted:

The one who's letting himself fall backwards is supposed to trust the other one to catch him not the other way around you goddamn loving idiot.
Yeah that made me unreasonably mad too.

Samovar posted:

I try to go for the pacing that I feel doesn't break up action or story beats, but if people would prefer 2 strips a day, I'm game for that - that sound good to everyone?
I've noticed sometimes you have a bunch of pages and sometimes just a few, so I know you're trying to divvy them up in a sensible way, and I kind of like that. I think if like the fortune teller scene today, for example, was divided between two posts because the first page of it and the last page are in different sets of 2, then it wouldn't read as well.

Basically, I'll read it whatever you decide to do, but I'm fine with what you are doing now. (I also appreciate the titles you make up, by the way.)

F Minus

Macanudo

Do you guys know the Matrix turns 20 in March?

Mark Trail

The cop cars are driven by angry hawks.

Mary Worth

Next week, I want a week of following this guy and his internal monologue as he goes over this conversation in his head. "Durrrrr 'Do you like ice cream?' STUPID STUPID STUPID geez real cool you IDIOT really impressed her with that one next time ask her if she wants to play with your action figures why don't you!"

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Elysiume posted:

I don't remember when or how it happened but this comic really grew on me. The art is confusingly bad—I'm not sure what the deal is there. Something about the pointless and blasé scenarios in every strip are somehow endearing.
The art is horrible and off-putting, but the writing is actually good so it wound up winning me over. I think that's true of a lot of people here.

F Minus

Macanudo

OK.

Mark Trail

Library? The kids were right at the front door a second ago.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

This is a very good Nancy.

EasyEW posted:

Dok's Dippy Duck (May 3-5, 1923)

I don't know why I love that this duck calls everyone "Rummy" but I do. :3:

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Kids today with their constantly smoking vape pens and Rolling Stones t-shirts.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"Wait why are we so low...OH MY GOD!"

Andertoons

Flash Gordon December 1961

I'm honestly not sure if I should be offended by this storyline, but I suspect I should be.

I feel safe and secure in the knowledge that the only thing preventing the destruction of the entire Earth and everything on it is the buddy system.

Edit: NO

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

Alley Oop

I see that's Freddie Mercury, and I'm thinking the girl is Cyndi Lauper, but who is Oop? Adam Ant maybe?
Sometimes I wonder if looks back at these old strips being reprinted that she based on her real-life family and catches the frequent irony.

Haifisch posted:

Locher Tracy

Is that a little tiny printout?

F Minus

Accurate headline.

Macanudo

On the verge of funny, but still not funny.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

I could see her thinking she buttered up the professor to make him more inclined to giving her a decent grade--I mean it isn't anything I'd count on but I get it--but she would still have to turn something in.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Is there a point to this? Is something going to happen to this guy, or is it just a random rude guy on the plane and when they all get off that's all there is to it? Maybe he's going to have a heart attack? Why introduce the kid sitting next to Rex, too?

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tinkersons is a good comic. I'm not going to argue with anyone who doesn't like the art, but the writing and characters have really grown on me. When it debuted in this thread, I thought it was going to be another hate-read, but nope! I look forward to it.
It has grown on me as well. First Reply All, now Tinkersons, both with weird and sometimes annoying art but decent writing. I think a good example of the opposite is Macanudo (good art, bad writing), and that doesn't seem to get away with it so much in my opinion, but it's pretty new, so maybe it will also grow on me. I'll keep posting it, for a while anyways.

Selachian posted:

And of course, Edge of Zombies:

Lambarene is best known as the site of Albert Schweitzer's hospital. It is also, as it happens, 1,500 miles away from Fort Lamy/N'Djamena.
Do they actually produce this comic on paper and color it with physical ink? That would be neat if they were good at it but it just looks sloppy.

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

gently caress you, Mark.

Mary Worth

She's that one-eyed cat turned human!

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Benly posted:

I dunno. I feel like it's not incredibly awful, just pretty mediocre, but it feels worse than it is because we have higher expectations of a zombie strip being taken over by a younger writer now that Olivia Jaimes has set the bar so high.
I think this is probably right.

Haifisch posted:

2012 Spiderman

I know the answer to all of this is "It's Newspaper Spider-Man" but I'm going to rant about how ridiculous this is anyways: So Sif was just asleep somewhere in Asgard and Thor didn't find her for some reason and failed to notice that also that every single other Norse god was also asleep so was easily tricked by his brother, who is literally known as "the trickster god," to believe she went to Earth? And how come Spider-Man is fine on Asgard while MJ is dying and can't even stay conscious?

F Minus

I would not be surprised at all to find a show like this actually exists on one of the Discovery Communication channels.

Macanudo

I guess the joke is the whale is sick of people making that joke when introducing themselves to it? Meh. Pretty clever, but I don't think he pulled it off particularly well.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

First, Toby was right, now, this stupid plan is working. This is really getting to me.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

I like learning new words.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tunicate posted:

Well, since someone asked me to post an intro:

About The Princess Planet

The Princess Planet is a world where every girl is a princess and fairy tales mix with space operas.
Isn't this the plot of the new She-Ra?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't quite understand what happened here. Also, that last one...I guess Teddy Roosevelt was famous for bad spelling?

Edit: Oh haha a quick google answered the second question. https://www.history.com/news/theodore-roosevelt-spelling-controversy
Earwigs were apparently a significant issue back in the day.
I read them most of the time. If I decide to skip them because I'm in a hurry, I go back when you post the next batch.

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

This whole premise is stupid and insane and I'm starting to enjoy it.

The Phantom

Yeah, what does that mean?

Pooch Cafe: More than Meets the Eye

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

drat straight they were. Terminix knows the score:
:stare: Geez if I were that couple I don't know what I would have done, but I doubt it would be stay in that house dealing with this for years.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Caped Charlotte is no more.

Behold...Leather Jacket Lottie!
This is great.
I like this but what is it called?

F Minus

Macanudo

Referring to this.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Oh good let's repeat this conversation.

The Phantom

Ah the cover story. Does the Bangallan president know about the Phantom? I guess he must. Unless he's being the "Unknown Commander" to him, maybe?

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

It's just the flaps and/or landing gear.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Is there a list of characters that already appeared in Weapon Brown? It's been a while since I read it. I don't remember if Hagar was in there? I know Beetle Bailey was, but I don't remember if the Hi and Lois gang appeared.