Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
WELCOME BACK!

(Borden)

Kennel posted:

Let's relive the greatest comic story of 2018!

You keep Threadmas in your way and let me keep it in mine...

(Angular Cyrus)

And now...the gently caress-Eulogy for the Gilchrist era. (Music please...) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31pCY1uDRzY

Pastry of the Year posted:

nancy
B6
bulp biLИλRISP

it is at this solemn occasion I would like to address one and all and state for the record that as much as I loathed his work on Nancy...

...I especially loathed how he would find a way to work his name/signature into a strip at least twice and sometimes even three times

it remains an absolute marvel of our dying culture that anyone (specifically, editors and/or whoever actually is responsible for curating the Nancy intellectual property, such as it is) saw his work as a source of pleasure and not as the long single flatulent piece of self-promotion it was

Howard Beale posted:

RIP Nancy

Go into the light, Guy. It's warm there. Your favorite musicians are there. It's the 60s again there, Guy, and not the bad 60s where bigots turned firehoses on children and LBJ bombed Cambodia, but the innocent, sun-drenched, music-filled 60s you knew as a kid. And Ernie Bushmiller is there, with a roll of quarters in one fist and a sock full of soap in the other.

Go now. God bless.

manero posted:

Our long national nightmare is over, cya l8r Gilchrist.

And as the final double bird, his successor is getting more press for her version of the character than he ever did. The moral of the story: Sluggo is lit.

Anyway, COMICS!

Sally Forth (Francesco Marciuliano and Jim Keefe): 2018 was a rebuilding year for the Forth family, because 1) Ted was getting used to life without his dad, and 2) Hillary and her friends built a massive set for their werewolf rock opera. It's the type of strip where life happens in both directions, sometimes simultaneously. Ces has also been aware of us for a long time, which has nothing to do with me saying this has been one of the best strips in the thread for years. And if you didn't follow his Angry Santa Elf on Twitter this year, you just don't want good things in your life, I guess.

Jerry Robinson: "Nothing like Skippy [(Percy Crosby)] had ever been seen before in the comic strips. It was not just Skippy’s expert draftsmanship or remarkable flair, although that artistry earned its creator a reputation as ‘the cartoonist’s cartoonist’… The brilliance of Skippy was that here was fantasy with a realistic base, the first kid cartoon with a definable and complex personality grounded in daily life." Which is why what happened later on will make you want to eat Peter Pan or Jif for the rest of your life. (August 19, 1931)

It sits very snugly atop Peanuts (Charles Schulz), an inescapable fixture of mid-to-late 20th century pop culture and one of my treasured childhood memories. (January 2, 1972 and December 31, 1971)

Funky Winkerbean (Tom "Goddamn" Batiuk) used to be the story about goofy high school students with punny names and their school. We've watched the goofy kids grown into sullen middle age, starting families that we never actually see more than once every few years. The high school is still there, but TomBat usually forgets to do anything with it until after the midterm break. He introduces a handful of teenagers to follow for a few months, then tosses most of them aside forever to focus on what we really want to hear about : Funky's dad screwing his way through the retirement home.

No, seriously. That's where we left off in the last thread.

Crankshaft (Tom "Goddamn" Batiuk and Dab "Your Sins Here Follow You Everywhere" Davis) is the story of a grumpy malaprop-spouting school bus driver. We don't usually see any school kids in that one either. I'm sensing a pattern here.

Rip Haywire (Dan Thompson) is a square-jawed man of action with a loving family, all of whom were laying low for the holidays, but that seems to have lasted for all of two or three days.

Out Our Way (J.R. Williams)! Cowboys! Machine shop workers! Americana! BOYZENDORGS! (And occasional stereotype humor...)

I still claim to be posting this one, but if something in my schedule goes horribly pear-shaped, this is the strip that I'm most likely to leave out of a daily post. Y'know, because I suck, since OOW is still running on all cylinders at the point we're up to now. (Which is October 5-6, 1931.)

Thimble Theater starring Popeye (Elzie Segar) is the tale of a mutant sailor and his many hangers-on. (July 8-10, 1935)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
HAPPY NEW YEAR! But just as importantly, HAPPY PUBLIC DOMAIN DAY! For the first time in decades in America, stuff from an entire year (in this case, 1923) is not only free as in "beer", but free as in "libre". And if you read the type of news I do, you knew about Safety Last and The Prophet and Robert Frost, but come on, what's the name of this thread?

So that's basically what I did on the first day of 2019, going through my sources looking for liberated art. And yeah, I found a few things...

(Terry Gilkison)

Or how about this one? A musical comedy where you have to bring your own music. And now it belongs to you, the people.

(January 16, 1923)

But the best part is when the Harthi Trust digital library unlocked their scans of the 1923 run of the first version of Life Magazine. Because that's where Skippy was born.

What I'm saying is New Year, new Sunday feature. :dance:

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 20, 1931)

Peanuts (January 4, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Oh, Public Domain Day means that the first two years of Out Our Way are out of copyright, too. Not that I'm posting them right now. (October 7-8, 1931)

Thimble Theater (July 11-13, 1935)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 2, 2019

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Somebody summoned the Elder God, I see.

Anyway, because it's still Wednesday somewhere...

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 21, 1931)

Peanuts (January 5, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 9-10, 1931)

Thimble Theater (July 15-17, 1935)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 22, 1931)

Peanuts (January 6, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 12-13, 1931)

Thimble Theater (July 18-20, 1935)

And now, a thing I found...

The 1922 Seattle Times called this "Grimes", but come on, y'all, that's Swedish cartoon legend Adamson (a.k.a. Silent Sam). And yet, for several months in this paper, it's carrying a name that I've never seen in references before. It's always interesting to stumble across something familiar flying under the "wrong" name. (November 6, 1922)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

PetraCore posted:

The base joke is funny, but the execution is, uuuuh...

Um yeaaaaaah, that's one of those things about strips from the 20s and 30s. This poo poo turns up with depressing regularity.

For those of you just joining us: When I first started posting OOW, and we first started running into problematic stereotype humor, I put it to an informal vote in the thread. Presenting pop culture history warts and all won out.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 24, 1931)

Peanuts (January 7, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 14-15, 1931)

And aw dammit, there we go again...like I said yesterday, it just happens sometimes.

Anyway, on to Thimble Theater in which OH FOR gently caress'S SAKE, POPEYE. (July 22-24, 1935)

Here's the random thing of the day: Dok's Dippy Duck. John "Dok" Hager was the house cartoonist for the Seattle Daily Times. This is a feature kept popping up for a decade and some change beginning in 1912, in addition to the lead duck being a sidekick in the front-page weather cartoon. (March 19-21, 1923)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Vargo posted:

Please provide more of this wonderful dippy duck.

Well, you did say "please"...

Dok's Dippy Duck (March 22-24, 1923)

Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 8, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 16-17, 1931)

Thimble Theater (July 25-27, 1935)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Rahonavis posted:

But... ducks are a kind of bird? :whoptc:

You ever see a sparrow smoking an unfiltered cigarette? Didn't think so. :colbert:

Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 9, 1972)

BoyLisa and Mopey Pete's Rainy Day Fun Page

Crankshaft

And now, as promised on New Year's Day, Life Presents Skippy.

Before the name was bolted to the legacy of the Time-Warner media megalith, there was a whole other Life Magazine, a weekly that was effectively the American answer to Punch. While there were written pieces, the founder was a professional illustrator and it was one of the first periodicals to use a new high quality printing process, so the big draw was the art. Life v.1.0 was the launching point for Charles Dana Gibson, who eventually became a big enough deal that he bought the magazine, and his Gibson girls. Over the years, its pages hosted Robert Ripley, Norman Rockwell, Palmer Cox, H.T. Webster...and, eventually, some dude (and (no fooling) future Olympic medalist in drawing and watercolors) named Percy Crosby.

(Proto-Skippy from February 1, 1923)

While Crosby was churning out newspaper features at a pretty good clip in the teens and twenties, magazines were the prestige gig, especially in one that cost you 15 whole cents at the newsstand. As subject matter goes, he'd been gravitating towards kids, particularly urban and slum kids, in his frequent Life contributions, so when he pitched a regular feature to his editors, that's what he brought to the table. "I drew up three pages and thought of forty-four names (among them Beanie and Jumper)—Skippy last on the list. A minor editor put his oar in and suggested Tiny Tim. I bristled with [sic] such uncalled-for interference, and... the thought flashed through my mind: '[The title] had to be Skippy and nothing else!'"

The editors were high enough on Skippy that they introduced the new feature with a full-page ad. And if all of the above is kind of a long-winded introduction for a single cartoon page every Sunday, obviously I picked a title that needs an explanation. Also, I like making words. It's a great way to remember your alphabet.

(March 23, 1923)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Left myself wide open for that, didn't I...

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 25, 1931)

Peanuts (January 10, 1972)

Mopey Pete and Darin vs. a G-g-g-GIRL!

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 19-20, 1931)

Thimble Theater (July 29-31, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (March 26-28, 1923)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 26, 1931)

Peanuts (January 11, 1972)

Mopey Pete and BoyLisa's Comic Book Funhouse (featuring That Crankshaft Woman, who, now that she has a recurring role, is as bored and disaffected as everybody else)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 21-22, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 1-3, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (March 29-31, 1923)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Batiuk's stuff about the comics industry drives me nuts, because it's so cargo-cult-y. He seems to love the Golden Age, but not in any way that's actually identifiable by someone familiar with the actual comics from that era. He just...apes art styles and creates characters who wouldn't be able to fill a four-panel one-off parody comic.

This is as good a place as any to remind everyone of the excruciating history of Batom Comics he wrote a few years ago.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

No way I'm clicking on that

Wimp.

Okay, here's a mirror of the first half posted on Son of Stuck Funky.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 27, 1931)

Peanuts (January 12, 1972)

Mopey Pete and Lady Crankshaft in "The Curse of Creative Differences"

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 23-24, 1931

Thimble Theater (August 5, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (April 2-4, 1923)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Maybe I've been a wrestling fan too long, because I've been waiting all week for Kadia to snap and go full rudo on Heloise.

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 29, 1931)

Peanuts (January 13, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean, in which Mopey Pete, Boy Lisa and Lady Crankshaft don't know analog commercial art techniques. Hilarity ensues, or so I've been told.

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 26-27, 1931)

Thimble Theater presents Popeye's Drag Race audition reel. (August 6, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (April 5-7, 1923)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 30, 1931)

Peanuts (January 14, 1972)

Mopey Pete and BoyLisa Learn Their Trade

Crankshaft now takes Bitcoin.

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 28-29, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 7, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (April 9-11, 1923)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Law & Peanuts: Fashion Victims Unit (January 15, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 30-31, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 8, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (April 12-14, 1923)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Okay, the lights just flickered, so let's get to this while the power holds out...

Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 15, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Life (With Skippy) (still working on the name for this thing...)

(Pre-Skippy: January 4, 1923)

(March 29, 1923)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Here Rests In
Mangled Glory
An American Pest
Known But To God

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 1, 1931)

Peanuts (January 17, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 2-3, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 9, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (April 16-18, 1923)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 2, 1931)

Peanuts (January 18, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 4-5, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 10, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (April 19-21, 1923)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 3, 1931)

Peanuts (January 19, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 6-7, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 12, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (April 23-25, 1923)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

That's a car backfiring right? right?

Wally Winkerbean playing video games in his downtime? :ohdear:

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 4, 1931)

Peanuts (January 20, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 9-10, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 13, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (April 26-28, 1923)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 5, 1931)

Peanuts (January 21, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Under the current conditions, I don't think that changing the H-1B program to limit foreign students in it is an unintended consequence. It's like saying that having a full belly is an unintended consequence of Thanksgiving.

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 11-12, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 14, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (April 30-May 2, 1923)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 22-23, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 13-14, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 15, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (May 3-5, 1923)

Life (With Skippy)

(April 5, 1923)

(Pre-Skippy, January 11, 1923)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

:(

That's some real good emotional storytelling right there

In the end, he was actual size.

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 7, 1931)

Peanuts (January 24, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 16-18, 1931, because if three a day is good enough for duck cartoons, it's good enough for boyzendorgs.)

Thimble Theater (August 16, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (May 7-9, 1923)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Woebin posted:

If there aren't ads for soap in the breaks, it's not a soap opera :colbert:

Proctor and Gamble produced several of them over the course of five decades.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 8, 1931)

Peanuts (January 25, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 19-21, 1931)

Dok's Dippy Duck (May 10-12, 1923)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 9, 1931)

Peanuts (January 26, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Um. Dude. The second one. Definitely the second one.

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 23-25, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 19, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (May 14-16, 1923)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Johnny Walker posted:

Earwigs were apparently a significant issue back in the day.

drat straight they were. Terminix knows the score:

Terminix posted:

This species was accidentally brought into the United States around 1912. The Eastern and Western U.S. recorded their presence at about the same time. By the early 1920’s the earwigs were so bad in the Pacific Northwest that Colorado formed the Bureau of Earwig Control. They began control efforts by dumping 200 tons of “earwig bait” (I haven’t been able to find exactly what this was) over 30,000 lots. This provided some relief but the earwigs came back the following year.

Entomologists then began importing parasitic Tachinid flies from France. These flies are natural parasitoids of European earwigs. They lay their eggs on or near the earwigs and the larvae feed and develop inside the earwig once they hatch. A large facility was built with the specific purpose of raising earwigs and then parasitizing them with these flies. The parasitized earwigs were distributed widely and were also sold for a penny a piece. These flies (Triarthria setipennis [formerly Bigonicheta spinipennis]), are now widespread throughout the U.S.

The Bureau of Earwig Control was eliminated in 1929 in a swirl of controversy when it was discovered that they made thousands of dollars by requiring unnecessary baiting of earwigs and charging homeowners for it.

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 10, 1931)

Peanuts (January 27, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

No Seriously, The Old Dude in Crankshaft Is Having A Heart Attack

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 26-28, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 20, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck, featuring various non-earwig infestations of the early 1920s. (May 17-19, 1923)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Death Ray, you got room for a chain-smoking duck with an earwig fixation?

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 11, 1931)

Peanuts (January 28, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Aw Crap, He Really Did Have A Heart Attack, Didn't He...

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 30-December 2, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 21, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck wears his civic pride on his non-existent sleeve. (May 21-23, 1923)

I'm having a little trouble getting a fix on what the Seven League Club is supposed to be without reading lots and lots of old newspapers from front to back (oh the horror! please protect me from all the history!). It appears to be a sort of booster club to brighten up the city in advance of a visit from President Harding. It's named after seven-league boots of European fairy tales.

(Dok Hager's front page cartoon, May 21, 1923)

Historical spoiler alert: Harding made his trip to Washington state in July as part of a cross-country "Voyage of Understanding", but he didn't get much farther than that.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

This appears to have been a specific thing in the 1920s:

http://jtn.stparchive.com/Archive/JTN/JTN06171924p08.php

That said a cursory search isn't finding much more about it. Where was this strip originally made/published?

Seattle (WA) Times. John "Dok" Hager was an in-house cartoonist there beginning in 1906.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Death Ray posted:

I'm certain that I do.

Hot dog, I'm an influencer! :dance:

Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 29, 1931)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft, in which the Funkyverse asserts itself over Ed's desire for a quiet evening in.

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (December 3-5, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 22, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (May 24-26, 1923)

About those "spirit trumpets"... It sounds like The Kid got tagged by #5 from the list.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Glorified Scrivener posted:

I think it's a reference to the Dempsey - Gibbons fight - if this comic is from 1922 it'd be the right time frame.

The fight happened on July '23rd, so yeah, that checks out.

Sally Forth

Peanuts

Pablo Rio Gomez did a fan animation of Charlie Brown's story a couple of years ago. The story's a dramatically different experience not having it held at arm's length.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwfsUZ8UPJk

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft meets the long shadow of human mortality.

Life (With Skippy)

(April 12, 1923, and now I'm convinced that Skippy's mom is a semi-retired Gibson girl)

(proto-Skippy, January 25, 1923)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 12, 1931)

Peanuts (January 31, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (December 7-9, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 23, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (May 28-30, 1923)

And now, as I indirectly promised on New Year's Day, a few more nibbles from the cheese tray that is Them Days Is Gone Forever by Al Posen, bemoaning the rapid-fire, mad, mad world of the early 1920s.

This is an audience participation strip, because the melody line running at the top of the strip matches the "lyrics" in the panel underneath...so far, anyway. If you can read music, go for it. (January 17-18, 1923)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 29, 2019

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 14, 1931)

Peanuts (February 1, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (December 10-12, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 24, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (May 31-June 2, 1923)

Let's see how long we can push on with Them Days Is Gone Forever before we all get tired of the gimmick! (January 19-20, 1923)

e: And because I'm nothing if not helpful, I put the first one of these from yesterday into a handy playback format. The syndicate (United Features Syndicate) claimed that little jingle was written by famous bandleader Vincent Lopez, but I'd like to think a guy with some musical credibility would've come up with something a little further away from Turkey In The Straw.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 29, 2019

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I'm Kadia's dawning sense of dread.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 15, 1931)

Peanuts (February 2, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (December 14-16, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 26, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (June 4-6, 1923)

Historical spoilers: Eugene Criqui didn't hold that belt for long.

Them Days Is Gone Forever (January 22-23, 1923)

(See also: Hyperinflation in the Weimar Republic)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 30, 2019

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 16, 1931)

Peanuts (February 3, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way, featuring a double-dip of BOYZENDORGS! :dance: (December 17-19, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 27, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (with footnotes) (June 7-9, 1923)

Ripped from the headlines.

Green Lake was named for its naturally occurring algae blooms. Random Extra Duck was convinced the color was added by contractors and paid cash for his ignorance.

Them Days Is Gone Forever (January 24-25, 1923)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 17, 1931)

Peanuts (February 4, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (December 21-23, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 28, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck (June 11-13, 1923)

Let's see what the paper says about this last one.

The front page of The Seattle Times, June 13, 1923 posted:

Three more days and then The Times Fun Frolic, the great annual girls' day at Woodland Park.

Ushering in summer vacation with a three-ring-circus program of games, races, prizes, baseball, track, story telling and entertainment, the Fun Frolic this year will be the "day of days" for every girl in Seattle.

By the time the opening parade winds in a picturesque procession around the park until the last pretty dancer in the Junior Girls' Dancing Frolic has made her bow, there will be something doing every minute. This is the assurance of the Fun Frolic committee headed by Miss Iphigene Banker of the city playfield department and of the other organizations who are cooperating with The Time and the committee to make the Fun Frolic a real carnival of fun for Seattle girls.

They put it together for at least a few decades: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBMC0m_eOAQ

Them Days Is Gone Forever (January 26-27, 1923)