Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

STR posted:

I did a fresh Win7 install using the OEM key, then downloaded the media creation tool. Selected "upgrade this PC". Worked fine, OS shows it's activated via a "digital license". I did get a curveball when Win7 wouldn't activate on its own - had to call the MS activation line. Odd, since it'd only ever had 1 OS reinstall. I'm used to that on a key that's been used multiple times. I'm guessing MAYBE it was an OEM license and I'd tossed a new drive in it + dead optical drive?

I don’t think you need to bother with the upgrade process. I’ve now done 4 old win7 stickered laptops with a win 10 usb from the media creation tool - onto blank ssds.
All have activated fine after install by entering the win 7 key on the sticker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

STR posted:

Thanks, I'll double check. I only saw one, but I didn't look too closely.

edit: cover off. SO-DIMM is confirmed to be 2GB, with what looks like some RAM soldered to the board below the slot. 1 slot. Guessing 2GB soldered, 2GB added on. So I may be able to swap the 2GB DIMM for a 4GB, bumping the total system RAM to 6GB? Better than 4GB, anyway. BIOS and Windows both see 4GB.

If it's from 2010, chance it's a 32 bit processor and will only see 3.xx GB anyway? I didn't catch what it had.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pentium T4400, which is an earlier mainstream 64 bit CPU. it has a 64 bit version of Win10 installed, and the OS (and BIOS) recognizes all 4 GB. For how old it is, it's a bit above mediocre.

Unlike a lot of the low end netbooks on the market, which have a 64 bit CPU with a 32 bit BIOS. And soldered RAM + SSD with no upgrades possible.:fuckoff:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Theres a fair chance I've got some 4gb DDR2 SODIMMS floating around, but by the time I post the stupid things to the US it would be cheaper to drive to Canada and get them... loving Aus Post.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Honestly, I need to find the manual for the thing and see if it even supports a 4GB SO-DIMM anyway. The onboard RAM threw me a bit.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Happy New Year!

2018 was pretty good overall. Generally healthy, figured out some lingering health issues and got monster mutt. Hope 2019 goes as well, it's going to be a pretty busy year hopefully with a few track days. Registered the locost for its first track day at Barber on 3/3 so I need to cage it and do a couple other things before then.

Start IVF Monday so January is going to suck

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

It's a new year, goons, let's make it a good one. :cheers:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

It's a new year, goons, let's make it a good one. :cheers:

I'm wiring in gfci outlets, a good start so far.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

I'm wiring in gfci outlets, a good start so far.

Pick up one of these... they're cheap and they come in handy. You can pick up whatever brand at Home Depot or any place fine electronics are sold.

https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bend...ing+tester+120v

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Rad, bout drat time.

Yeah tell me about it. I've finally been bitten by the diy bug. Only been in the house 12 hours but I've already found so much of what the builders had done that pisses me off so it's time to go tool shopping. My wallet

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Coffee's going, 2019 starting out pretty good so far!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is QC's avatar out of sync again for anyone else? It seems to vary...

How many of you have gone through the Black Mirror Bandersnatch episode? I've done it a couple of times and got all the endings, plus the hidden scene where Jerome F Davies appears and stabs the main character, but I still find the same issue I do with a lot of Black Mirror stuff, in that I like some of the concepts and how they do things, but the execution and direction taken with the stories frustrates me.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I stopped watching black mirror after it crawled up it's own arse

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

A6 threw another starter, trying to sell the thing on Craigslist.

It's going great

I very nearly started off 2019 by buying a cheap basket case Audi, but a friend of mine reminded me I don't have a garage or any place to park it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

Yeeeeesh. The whole process getting to that point is rough enough.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

NYE was pretty chill. Took the kids sledding in the morning. Did some shopping; target had 70%-90% off on all their Christmas stuff. That included junk food; so I bought some snickers and Reese’s peanut butter cups. They had those giant 2 pack 1/2 pound Reese’s cups for $3, so I bought them for my brothers because I’m a good brother.

Kids went to bed normal time. Wife and I stayed up a bit and she went to bed. I fired up the Switch and tried this Smash Bros thing I bought yesterday and spent a lot of time confused how it all worked. Heard some fireworks at some point.

My best life y’all.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
2018 was incredibly emotionally draining and expensive. To cap it off, I lost my wallet somewhere in/between Miami International Airport and my house on Sunday.

I also was sick a bunch.

Anyway I hope 2019 is a big improvement.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Pick up one of these... they're cheap and they come in handy. You can pick up whatever brand at Home Depot or any place fine electronics are sold.

https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bend...ing+tester+120v

I should do that as I have about 50 more outlets to swap out.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Goodbye 2018 - you will not be missed

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

NitroSpazzz posted:

Best luck!, I went down that road 3 times, keep a positive attitude, but steel yourself for all eventualities.
In the end we are very very very happy, but it sure did not work out like we had originally thought it would.
If you’re quite fortunate, insurance may cover some of it.

vasectomy reversal/sperm retrieval, failure, failure, terminated pregnancy w/genetic defect, adoption!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
She said yes

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So are you going to be a Canuck or is she going to learn to stand on her head?

Congratulations!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Well that was fast. Didn't you meet her last year?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ilkhan posted:

Well that was fast. Didn't you meet her last year?

We nearly were a thing 12 years ago so not really :)

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Ferremit posted:

Theres a fair chance I've got some 4gb DDR2 SODIMMS floating around, but by the time I post the stupid things to the US it would be cheaper to drive to Canada and get them... loving Aus Post.

AusPost is funny because its about the same price as Japan to get things to the US, about twice times the UK price. I bought the MightyCarMods signed book+cards promotion they had and it had to be $40 to ship a bubble envelope.

:siren: Congrats :siren: goondolences

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

Rhyno posted:

I should do that as I have about 50 more outlets to swap out.

Get the one with the GFCI test button though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Nice!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Hell yea brother! Congrats!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sgt Fox posted:

Get the one with the GFCI test button though.

I found my old Southwire basic one so that's gonna do for now.

Edit: Success! Every outlet I swapped out tested as correctly wired!

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 1, 2019

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

We nearly were a thing 12 years ago so not really :)
Well that works. Congrats.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

NitroSpazzz posted:

Best of luck to you both! I remember mornings where the mrs. rear end was so swollen from the previous injections that I’d have to spend a few minutes finding a place I could get the needle to go through for the new injection. I seriously contemplated drawing a grid pattern on her rear end with permanent marker to make it a little easier.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Grats! Who's moving?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Congrats!

I've been engaged since 2016 but the wedding has now gone from next year to this month :derp:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Congrats CT!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Congratulations! :)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

DJ Commie posted:

:siren: Congrats :siren: goondolences
Has anyone alerted the Canadian authorities yet?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

InitialDave posted:

They apologized profusely. (congra-dolences!)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Happy new year you freaks.

Think I'm going to do the dry January thing. Anyone else?

Congrats!

InitialDave posted:

:ninja:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

My dude I am so happy for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

slidebite posted:

Happy new year you freaks.

Think I'm going to do the dry January thing. Anyone else?

Yes! But also dry 365 1/4 days a year.