Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

fridge corn posted:

I stopped watching black mirror after it crawled up it's own arse

Black Mirror is the Banksy of TV shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

NitroSpazzz posted:

Happy New Year!

Start IVF Monday so January is going to suck

We’ve been going down that road. October was our first round. Had some issues, ended up with only one fertilized egg surviving and wife’s progesterone levels out of whack so we froze that. February or March she’ll go back for the implantation and hopefully that takes. It’s stressful and lovely but holy gently caress it’s so much worse for her. All the best man - pm me if you need a sympathetic ear.

2018 was kind of poo poo. IVF being one thing, house falling apart and the job has gone to poo poo. Need to finish a cert or two and move on. Going to start clearing out excess stuff in the house in case a new job means a move.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I like black mirror, white Christmas, San junipero, uss calister especially. I'll definitely be watching through bandersnatch again a few times to cover the decisions I didn't make the first time.

Back to work tomorrow, the whole Christmas holiday I've been ill in some capacity and I'm not looking forward to work as it is, but I've got a big list of crap I want to get done this year on the house and garden and I've ordered a few bits and pieces to get started so assuming we still have electricity after Brexit I'm going to push this year in the direction I want.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

slidebite posted:

Happy new year you freaks.

Think I'm going to do the dry January thing. Anyone else?

I'm there with ya!

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Goal is going to my B-Day in December. Basically what I did this year, but with a few missteps along the way.

Let's do it again this year, but w/o the missteps.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Adiabatic posted:

I'm there with ya!

Quitters. I drink like one beer per week anyway.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Drove 2400 miles last week to watch my football team lose to the refs, but welcome 2019. You better not suck.

Count me in for dry Jan as well, I drank my weight in beer this week, so probably time to give the liver a rest.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 2, 2019

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Quitters. I drink like one beer per week anyway.

I'm counting the days so it'd really be quitting to start drinking again at this point.

E: also thanks for reminding me my friend is starting dry january and I need to give her some encouragement!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I’ve had the soberest Christmas/New Years period I can remember, although that’s not exactly a high bar.

I have however hit 50 days in a row of 10,000 steps a day. It’s required some motivation, especially on miserable rainy days but it’s actually been easier than I thought. I’m pretty pleased with myself and probably a whole lot healthier to boot!

Congrats! That’s really exciting

slothrop fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 2, 2019

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
FWIW, not drinking saves you so much money.Those drinks when you go out really add up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sounds like there is a few of us doing dry January. Start a thread?

I will often go weeks without drinking at all a couple times during the year, and it feels good. I sleep better, lose a bit of weight, have more energy, really nothing to lose.

Then, I inevitably have either a rough week at work or get together with friends (generally taekwondo friends after a brutal class) and the wheels fall off the wagon. It's funny because after I don't drink for a few weeks or so, my tolerance just goes to poo poo. I can normally drink a fair amount (I'm not a super small guy) and I have no issues, need a several strong highballs to even feel it at all, but after being on the wagon 3 stiff drinks is enough to do it. And then the feeling like poo poo again until tolerance gets back up :saddowns:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mariooncrack posted:

FWIW, not drinking saves you so much money.Those drinks when you go out really add up.

Which is why you should always pregame at home.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

GF has possible strep, I have a sinus and ear infection.

Can't talk her into going to the loving doctor. She wanted me to let her boss (who I'm casual friends with) know she wouldn't be in today, so I might have thrown in the strep word. Her boss said she's not coming back without doctor's clearance. :angel:

(she has well over 100 sick hours to burn, so it's not like she's gonna lose money by being sick.. she just HATES doctors)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm not doing dry January, though I am cutting back on how much I drink as a function of getting myself in better shape (I started before Christmas but accepted it' always going to take a hit over the holiday). Got my mate doing the same, which should help avoid this being a false start.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Get the flu, I weigh 3kg less now than before Christmas.

don't get the flu

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cakesmith handyman posted:

don't get the flu

Chili laced with my hot sauce yields similar results.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

fridge corn posted:

I stopped watching black mirror after it crawled up it's own arse

I've got some bad news about every other TV show in existence.

Black Mirror is very hit or miss, but I like it since it at least tries. Everything on broadcast or basic cable is some GRITTY CRIME DRAMA with REAL SERIOUS SITUATIONS or an awful reality show where people ARE AT THE END OF THEIR ROPE and a BIG FIGHT happens, all of which is presented as life-or-death end of the world poo poo. Of course, Black Mirror falls into this trap multiple times too, but TV is gonna TV.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

slidebite posted:

Sounds like there is a few of us doing dry January. Start a thread?

Done. Though, it could be deleted, IDK. I'm cool with whatever. Personal challenge will still stand either way.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

don't get the flu

I did this at the start of last year.
It's not a recommended weight loss plan by your local GP

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh, while I definitely need to lose weight, that's only because my flab has mass. I don't weigh myself, I regard it as a largely useless metric unless you're in some form of sport/competition that has weight classes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You're right, how you feel and fit clothes is far more important, I only know because every time we take my lad into hospital they seem to want to weigh the wife and I as well. Separately of course.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

Done. Though, it could be deleted, IDK. I'm cool with whatever. Personal challenge will still stand either way.

Works for me.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Hah, obvo a mod can't toxx... can they? My longest sober streak was 173 days in 2018, but then I got all happy with myself and started back up again, which caused me to become unhappy, etc etc cycle cycle. It may be a small coincidence that the streak was also when I lost around 40 pounds, and before and after that it's just been kind of hovering. This wasn't usually "heavy" drinking, either, like two beers one weekend or a six pack over a four day break, half a bottle of vodka in one month with diet sodas. I think it's not just the alcohol itself, but the mentality that goes with it for me, hence my long-term goal.

I love drinkin' but I love myself more when I'm not, I guess.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

I don't weigh myself, I regard it as a largely useless metric unless you're in some form of sport/competition that has weight classes.

Very true, weighing yourself leads to this obsession over slight fluctuations in the numbers when you can easily vary day to day just on water weight alone by something like 5lbs.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Very true, weighing yourself leads to this obsession over slight fluctuations in the numbers when you can easily vary day to day just on water weight alone by something like 5lbs.

Yeah, weighing yourself every few days is better than every day, or more. You're basically keeping track of bowel movements and pissing at that point.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Not weighing yourself because you're not in competition is ostrich-based health. Just because you check your weight regularly doesn't mean there's an obsession regarding it. I can swing my weight over 12 pounds in a day, if I bike early and long, then pound fluids and food afterward. It's kinda fun to see that. On the other hand, I can have my weight hypothesis in my head before I get on the scale and I'm almost always within .5 pounds. That's accounting for the normal day-to-day variances. 2-3 pound fluctuation during any individual day is my norm.

Not watching your weight (note I said "watching" and not anything religious) is not healthy. BMI is important, and there are other factors.

That said, I'm not giving up alcohol, but it's that time of year to give sugar a rest. Man, over the holidays sugar-filled everything seems to just materialize... plus my wife makes killer fudge that we send all over the country. And having that fudge around instantly adds 5 pounds to my scale totals.

Time to get rid of the fudge pounds. :toot:

slidebite posted:

Yeah, weighing yourself every few days is better than every day, or more. You're basically keeping track of bowel movements and pissing at that point.

Not better, different (but still probably a healthy routine). Depends on how you use the numbers. Either way, weighing yourself a few times a week is different than "I don't weigh myself."

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BMI in concept is important, but the actual numbers don't scale well with height.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

They scale close enough, if you're more than 1 category from "healthy" and you're not a professional athlete you've got problems.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I fired up the Switch and tried this Smash Bros thing I bought yesterday and spent a lot of time confused how it all worked. Heard some fireworks at some point.

I was really reluctant to pick this up, because I KNOW I suck at Smash, and all my my friends that have a Switch are mostly the same people I used to play Smash with back on N64, GameCube, and Wii, and were going to coerce me into getting it either way.

It's pretty good. The Spirit Adventure mode has a fine line between infuriatingly difficult and rewarding-ly hard. I probably won't ever touch online for fear of getting smoked.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

BMI in concept is important, but the actual numbers don't scale well with height.

They don't necessarily scale with height or muscle mass, but once you know where you are at individually, it's a good number to track.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

They don't necessarily scale with height or muscle mass, but once you know where you are at individually, it's a good number to track.

At that point you're just tracking weight anyway.

I only weigh in once a week and even with a relatively consistent diet, I'll end up with no change one week, and 2-3x a week's goal the next week.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

Not really. If you already know where you're at, tracking BMI offers nothing over tracking weight alone, since height^2 won't change. And neither weight nor BMI is as helpful as buying calipers.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

They scale close enough, if you're more than 1 category from "healthy" and you're not a professional athlete you've got problems.

I mean I'm far from a professional athlete. I'm around 15% body fat and I'm dangerously close to being "obese" at 215lbs, 6'0", and a BMI of 29.2.

If you aren't working out I guess it's an okay indicator.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

I mean I'm far from a professional athlete. I'm around 15% body fat and I'm dangerously close to being "obese" at 215lbs, 6'0", and a BMI of 29.2.

IOwnCalculus posted:

At that point you're just tracking weight

Sounds like you guys need exercises that focus on your height :haw:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Not really. If you already know where you're at, tracking BMI offers nothing over tracking weight alone, since height^2 won't change. And neither weight nor BMI is as helpful as buying calipers.

I'll defer to the medical professional's opinion on this, and yeah, I guess bmi is just weight/height factor so weight is the only variable.

Adiabatic posted:

That's right where I'm at, minus an inch. I've always been on the "obese" threshold, but my PCP has never mentioned it as anything to be concerned with, since muscle mass/frame is not taken into account with BMI. Wide shoulder team, unite.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Lol I'm wide everything team at present.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The same poo poo isnt going to work for everyone. The only reason I was able to get such radio results was because of the extreme grief I was dealing with.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I tend to go by how my clothes fit now vs recently... I find a measuring tape and the aforementioned calipers a better indicator than weight. The only real fat I have is on my midsection but I'm honestly enjoying eating whatever, whenever so unless I feel the need to look particularly fantastic for speedo season, I'm good.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

I'll defer to the medical professional's opinion on this
I mean, in this case I'm mathematically correct, but otherwise you're probably safer assuming doctors are stupid about everything outside of their immediate specialty. It's loving scary sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I mean, in this case I'm mathematically correct, but otherwise you're probably safer assuming doctors are stupid about everything outside of their immediate specialty. It's loving scary sometimes.

Dunning-Kruger Effect alive and well!