Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sounds like it was an iOS equivalent of the Android Stagefreight vuln and was probably the TIFF overflow fixed in iOS 9.3.3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

went to the local mega-hardware store to get some lightbulbs. CFLs are almost completely gone which is good, but the light bulb aisle was around 50% LED, and for some reason about 50% incandescent. I thought we defeated that evil.
I think many bulbs which look like old school frosted A19 incandescent, at least the ones I've seen, are a different type of halogen or some drat thing.

E: I am a big manchild and my dinner tonight is going to consist of 2lbs of buffalo wings. Good thing I just lost over 10lbs

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 31, 2019

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

slidebite posted:

E: I am a big manchild and my dinner tonight is going to consist of 2lbs of buffalo wings. Good thing I just lost over 10lbs

That's nice and low-carb.

I picked up an old camera on eBay. I used to own one just like this, but it went missing when I lived in a house where a lot of my things went missing.

I'm exceptionally pleased with it. So much so that I'm pricing film development kits.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

Silents and Boomers.

Yeah right wing media has convinced olds that BIG GUBBMINT is coming to take away your incandescent bulbs and also using them owns the libs so any hardware store that stops carrying them will probably face backlash as stupid as that sounds.

I know incandescents are legitimately better for a lot of applications, but I think it's mostly the first thing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Um yeah, all the banging sounds fun and all, but when it comes down to actually living that lifestyle no thanks, I can't even imagine the train wrecks some of those relationships end up in. But if you can make it work more power to you.

You don't have to imagine, the r/relationships thread in GBS curates them for you.

More power to people if they can hack it, but jealousy and lack of communication tends to cause implosions.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Safety Dance posted:

I'm exceptionally pleased with it. So much so that I'm pricing film development kits.
I didn't know that was a serious thing. I mean, I know you could do a darkroom and that kind of stuff (part of shop class in grade 7-8 or something) but I didn't even consider that "kits" were a thing for that.

Out of curiosity, why film? I know a few fairly serious photographers and they've all moved to digital. Whats the draw for you?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I'm not him, but to me film/etc is just more fun? Digital I tend to spray and pick out decent stuff later, film gets me thinking about what is in the frame a lot more. Maybe that's a crutch but it's one I enjoy.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My car wouldn't start yesterday at -25, but would start today at -25. The world is truly a mystery.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

slidebite posted:

I didn't know that was a serious thing. I mean, I know you could do a darkroom and that kind of stuff (part of shop class in grade 7-8 or something) but I didn't even consider that "kits" were a thing for that.

Out of curiosity, why film? I know a few fairly serious photographers and they've all moved to digital. Whats the draw for you?

It's not my thing, but I relate it to listening to vinyl versus digital music. There's more physical involvement and it's a different flavor.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Lightbulb Out posted:

My car wouldn't start yesterday at -25, but would start today at -25. The world is truly a mystery.

The Fit that wouldn't start last week even when it "warmed up" to the 20s started today at 6 degrees. I think it's because I made sure it ran long enough to warm up every day. The Impreza almost didn't start, but decided to in the end.

But -25, man, poo poo.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

slidebite posted:

I've used a couple of DSLRs and mirrorless cameras, and I found I was missing the feeling and the control of my old Minolta. I guess I learned on that camera and the muscle memory never went away. I bought another one for 1/10th the price of a high quality digital camera, and I never have to worry about my sensor not being good enough. I can just get a different roll of film.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Safety Dance posted:

That's nice and low-carb.

I picked up an old camera on eBay. I used to own one just like this, but it went missing when I lived in a house where a lot of my things went missing.

Oh gently caress yeah! I love my old Minolta stuff. They have one of the best 50mm lenses I've ever used. "Best" being entirely subjective of course.

And here's a bunch of other dorkroom and camera stuff:
https://imgur.com/a/KmrY5

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

meatpimp posted:

It's not my thing, but I relate it to listening to vinyl versus digital music. There's more physical involvement and it's a different flavor.

Difference being film is still a fantastic medium for quality purposes whereas vinyl is a bit poo poo. There are people who will claim it's the be-all and end-all of formats but the industry refers to those people as; idiots.

(I understand you're talking about the experience but I will use any chance to dunk on vinyl purists).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Trying to sell brake pads on craigslist for $5, and I'm throwing them in the trash instead of going further with this conversation:

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/pts/d/livonia-chevy-silverado-new-front-brake/6783937408.html

:downs: Still got pads
:v: Yes.
:downs: This weekend I come out and get them how much agin
:suicide:

Not worth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Suburban Dad posted:

Trying to sell brake pads on craigslist for $5, and I'm throwing them in the trash instead of going further with this conversation:

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/pts/d/livonia-chevy-silverado-new-front-brake/6783937408.html

:downs: Still got pads
:v: Yes.
:downs: This weekend I come out and get them how much agin
:suicide:

Not worth.

Set up a meet, drive by and fling them at the dude's face.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

I once sold all my digital stuff, went back to film with an expensive Leica setup, than sold that and went back to digital :v:

Shooting film is fun, but it can get expensive when you're shooting a bunch then need developing, and then converting it to a good quality digital image which you are going to need, so you might as well shoot digital to begin with :v:

Plus it's more of a pain dealing with different ISOs and stuff. Oh you were shooting low ISO film and now it's cloudy or the sun is going down? welp you're hosed unless you want to burn through the rest of the film and put something higher in....if you have it.

Film is fun in small doses but if you shoot a lot it's not worth it imo unless you have your own dark room and negative scanner or something.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Safety Dance posted:

I've used a couple of DSLRs and mirrorless cameras, and I found I was missing the feeling and the control of my old Minolta. I guess I learned on that camera and the muscle memory never went away. I bought another one for 1/10th the price of a high quality digital camera, and I never have to worry about my sensor not being good enough. I can just get a different roll of film.

The sensor is always good enough - Digital passed film in ability 15 years ago and lapped it 4 times since. Your phone will rip film a new rear end in a top hat quality and ability-wise.

The only valid reason for film these days is to learn and thats a good reason. Everyone interested in photography needs to be grounded in the basics and film being uncompromising teaches them fast. Developing film also grounds in what Lightroom is to digital. The old Pentax gets used now and then but its only because ... why not?

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Lightbulb Out posted:

My car started happily for a month sitting out in -10, and then refused to start in the +10 garage :shrug: Cars are weird.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: actually, I don't want to argue

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 31, 2019

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

the only good audio medium is spooled magnetic wire

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
128kbps mp3s are perfect for listening with my sennheiser he 1 as long as i tune my desk with sound crystals

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
its a good setup im feeding it with a ps1 and i used nero to burn the cds, its xp vintage

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, this is certainly not the case. 35mm can be compared with current full frame sensors, medium format blows them away, then you have large format.

That's not a like-for-like comparison. An incredibly small percentage of people have ever even used a medium format camera, much less large. In the consumer world, cameras that rival 35mm film are cheap and easy to use. That's a tough fact to argue against.

Edit: sorry, started before your edit, so there's that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I like the imperfections vinyl introduces to recordings. That's all.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Liquid Communism posted:

I like the imperfections vinyl introduces to recordings. That's all.

I just like using turntables.

Also, getting entire albums for $.50~1 is pretty good too if you're not into stealing music.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I just had the dangerous thought that pumping gasoline onto the ice might have melted it.

Probably not though

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

meatpimp posted:

That's not a like-for-like comparison. An incredibly small percentage of people have ever even used a medium format camera, much less large. In the consumer world, cameras that rival 35mm film are cheap and easy to use. That's a tough fact to argue against.

Edit: sorry, started before your edit, so there's that.

To be fair, I'd quoted the cellphone camera blowing away film part of the post

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I don't know how many people here are old enough to remember CDs coming out, but coming from records and cassettes it was amazing. I remember buying my first CD boombox, then getting Led Zeppelin 4 on CD and being completely blown away by the sound quality. I was happy to replace all my records and cassettes with CDs and have never thought once about ever going back to that.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 31, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BlackMK4 posted:

Fair enough, and I agree. Cell phones can be really, really good right now, but they're not at 35mm level.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't know how many people here are old enough to remember CDs coming out, but coming from records and cassettes it was amazing. I remember buying my first CD boombox, then getting Led Zeppelin 4 on CD and being completely blown away by the sound quality. I was happy to replace all my records and cassettes with CDs and have never thought once about ever going back to that.

I've literally never played a record but yeah my early music collecting days were on cassette and once I could afford to get my own CD player, I never went back.

I will say, based on Techmoan's various reviews of older high-end gear, it seems like the real limiting factor on tape was money. A high-end cassette tape deck, playing a well-mastered cassette with the proper noise reduction, sounds as good as anything else. The tape deck was a variable you could control to some extent by throwing a large amount of money at it, the latter, not so much. Poorly mastered cassettes and cheap decks were vastly more common, and sounded like utter trash. CDs (and every digital format to follow) removes the vast majority of those variables. The one thing you can control as a consumer - the cost of your player - no longer makes any significant difference in the quality of the audio output, so that cheap Aiwa CD player sounds better than any tape deck you could have ever gotten your hands on for remotely near the same money.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Who tries to please objects? I treat people like objects not objects like people.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I grew up with tapes until the mid 90s, and i remember CDs in my small town being $30-$40 a piece.

By the time prices started coming down to ~$20, i had discovered napster and MP3 players. My first MP3 player was only 64mb and could only hold like 20 songs, but because of how expensive CDs were i basically skipped them.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BlackMK4 posted:

Have you seen what cell phones are capable of doing these days? It's not just about the sensor anymore. Computational photography is pushing cell phones well beyond what their pissy sensor should be capable of - eg all that HDR computational photography with noise reduction is now allowing cell phones to match or exceed what my Canon 1D can do in low light. And THAT is the kind of camera that no 35mm camera can touch.

That kind of computational photography is beginning to get into MFT cameras with remarkable results and it'll filter into FF soon enough... and THAT is going to be something to see. Computational photography with a full frame is going to be astounding the kind of shots you could pull off with impeccable quality.

No, cell phones cant do action. But my needs aren't what the typical phone camera is asked to do.

So yes - That device in your pocket has the ability to go beyond what film can be used in successfully and most certainly can do better than film even if you use it for huge prints.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

I grew up with tapes until the mid 90s, and i remember CDs in my small town being $30-$40 a piece.

By the time prices started coming down to ~$20, i had discovered napster and MP3 players. My first MP3 player was only 64mb and could only hold like 20 songs, but because of how expensive CDs were i basically skipped them.

That's about when I started switching to CDs. I only bought them when they started being about $15. Sound Warehouse here in TX was my primary - any of the mall stores wanted $20-25 for the same stuff. One of the best things about CDs was that you could buy them used with little fear that they were hosed. Tapes were a little of a crap shoot. Used and exchange CD shops popped up everywhere, lowering the cost of entry quite a bit.
I haven't bought a CD in a decade, though I still have a fairly large pile of them. I'm all digital for new stuff, and convert my CDs when I decide I want that noise in my car. One of my cars doesn't even have a CD slot - I bought a mechless Pioneer for the Crown Vic.

I even did the Wayne's World thing with the portable CD player jacked into my cassette deck, because I definitely couldn't afford a CD deck. Home decks were a lot cheaper. My portable was designed for use in the car, though, with a bit more shock protection, and a 12V plug.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

That's crazy, I think it was 1987 or 88 when i started buying CDs and they were never over $20. I think the boombox I got was like $150, a Panasonic and it was awesome. I was still in high school but was working almost full time at KFC so I had plenty of money to waste on CDs and skateboards :v:

I still buy CDs because it's usually cheaper to do that then to pay for a download and then I get a hard copy. Still listen to CDs in my car all the time too.

[e] I still have an old high end Sony CD player I need to have fixed so I can have a little setup for CDs in the house

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 1, 2019

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
My car doesn't even have a CD player anymore.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I need some new, small, flashlights. Nothing bigger than an 18650 cell.

What should I be looking for in current portable suns?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

New Project Binky is up for Patrons!
I guess tomorrow for you freeloaders?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

meatpimp posted:

I need some new, small, flashlights. Nothing bigger than an 18650 cell.

What should I be looking for in current portable suns?

Streamlight stylus pro is my go-to. Cheap, durable, and bright as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Flashlight chat - if you're willing to wait for it to slow boat over from China, Convoy S2+.