Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VU4fOa3CRc

happy new years, may we leave 2019 with more dollars, horse powers, and sanity than we entered with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

The Prong Song posted:

What's everyone's opinion on a 4-year old Cayenne as a racecar tow vehicle (and DD) VS. buying a 4-year old top-engine'd "light" truck?

The diesel tows well, gets great gas mileage (I averaged 28mpg from Az to Wa), has insane range, and can easily be used as a daily driver.

That is just my opinion, I am planning to buy the one my parents own when the time comes for exactly this purpose.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Darchangel posted:

A diesel Porsche? That's even more appalling than a Porsche SUV in the first place.
I want one.

Yes, they are really nice and definitely not 'slow'. Fuelly has them in the mid 20's MPG wise combined.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/porsche/cayenne?engineconfig_id=238&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd say the only real downsides of it (that I have experienced) are that ALL of the mirrors are very small so blindspot mirrors are basically required and they really do not like to sit, you will go through DEF parts because the urea will crystallize in the system. The throttle is kind of weird from a stop if you don't run it in sport mode all the time, also.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Elmnt80 posted:

It also takes 0w-30 euro diesel oil iirc, which should be fun to find. And like 8-9 quarts of it. $100 diy oil changes hoooooo.

Not really different price wise for any modern Porsche or BMW :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I left distilled water / water wetter in a motorcycle when it froze overnight (obviously rare in Arizona), the worst damage done was that it broke a radiator clamp and pushed water out.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've shucked a dozen of those, I had to tape off power pins on the newer ones to get them to spin up. Just a heads up, but super good deal

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Goober Peas posted:

I haven't had that experience, and also have a dozen between the 8TB and 10TB. That's weird.

I don't feel like looking it up now, but it has to do with your PSU and which pins it supplies power to for the SATA connectors. Something about old PSUs supplying power to the 3.3v rails and the new drives being put into the sleep state due to this

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
For sure :) Just wanted a heads up for anyone that buys them, shucks them, plugs them in, and nothing works (oh gently caress, DOA and no warranty since I cracked the case). The fix is a small piece of tape, not a big deal

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, I was going to say. There are some threads over at reddit personal finance that go over the various companies for pet insurance and it seems like a hard thing to end up skipping over based on some of the care costs I've seen.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
They got rid of two other devs and my manager today, hmmmmm. Perhaps it is time to look elsewhere

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ether Frenzy posted:

But they kept you. Congratulations on now doing the work of 4 people including all the admin with no new title or money!

Only need to stick it out for another few months so I've been here for two years, then I feel secure in searching.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
except motherfucking mosquitos at night (during certain times of the year) and scorpions that you can hunt with a blacklight and hammer

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, there are a few times a year where if I'm outside for more than a few minutes in sandals, my ankles get loving demolished with mosquito bites.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Seriously, they only go for the ankles, it is so irritating.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

slidebite posted:

:lol: That's awesome.

I looked at the fine print in one of those terrible warranties that was bragging about covering ALL MOVING PARTS in your car.

So, basically, anything electrical, sensor related, ECU, etc would be SOL. That's assuming they would even pay on something they said they would cover which is a stretch.

Extended warranties, with extremely rare exceptions (maybe something like an Xbox 360), are almost universally poor financial choices. If a person just saved the money they would have otherwise spent on warranty premiums, they would come out way ahead.

I dunno about other manufacturers, but you can buy the Hondacare 100k mile warranty from other dealerships after you buy your car. Some dealer on the east coast sells them for $1k.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Suburban Dad posted:

These are ok at best for that. They're heavy, require adjustable control arms to change the camber, and can't really make a whole lot more power than stock without forced induction. The traction control is pretty dated and really aggressive so short of turning it off completely it kind of sucks. Oh, and they get fuel starvation in turns, which there's a $500 solution for.

Nothing is cheap to track except a miata. :v:

And 'cheap' is very relative :lol: (it is still expensive)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sounds like it was an iOS equivalent of the Android Stagefreight vuln and was probably the TIFF overflow fixed in iOS 9.3.3.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: actually, I don't want to argue

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

meatpimp posted:

That's not a like-for-like comparison. An incredibly small percentage of people have ever even used a medium format camera, much less large. In the consumer world, cameras that rival 35mm film are cheap and easy to use. That's a tough fact to argue against.

Edit: sorry, started before your edit, so there's that.

To be fair, I'd quoted the cellphone camera blowing away film part of the post