Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I’ve had the soberest Christmas/New Years period I can remember, although that’s not exactly a high bar.

I have however hit 50 days in a row of 10,000 steps a day. It’s required some motivation, especially on miserable rainy days but it’s actually been easier than I thought. I’m pretty pleased with myself and probably a whole lot healthier to boot!

Congrats! That’s really exciting

slothrop fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

AnnoyBot posted:

Happy loving new year to me:

I've had my WRX since 12/30/2003. Some shitstain plowed into it yesterday while I was out. The right rear control arm is bent at like a 50 deg angle from being pushed over the curb; the tire has a 1" hole in it. The left wheel is about 4" forward of where it should be. The jack was in the standard storage place, and was punched through the sheet metal and is hanging outside the body behind the wheel. It looks like a total loss.

Cops found the car that hit me around the corner by following the trail of coolant. No idea if it was stolen yet, or what.

That sucks man. Hope insurance doesn’t gently caress you round too much.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Humphreys posted:

HDD pricing here in Australia is a bit stupid and I don't like spending money. Saw a 6TB for $189 and went to get it this afternoon, turned into $229 overnight. The retailer has a price match guarantee, even from ONLINE stores. Whelp - I tried my luck with an Amazon link for the same SKU for $119.

It. loving. Worked!

Time to retire a few drives to an archive!

uhh care to say which retailer that is? I'm going to be needing some new drives soon...

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Humphreys posted:

Officeworks

mad thanks, I'll have to see if I can abuse that policy too. Plex is filling up my existing 2TB drive very quickly

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Humphreys posted:

How'd you go? I've haven't heard any trip reports yet from IRL friends on their attempts.

EDIT: Retiring 3x 2TB drives now for 6TB. Playing the waiting game for Teracopy to finish everything.

I only have 5 drives available on my N54 Microserver but love the little bastard considering it only cost me $190 shipped with 4x 2TB drives.

I need to hang off a bit and look for a better server solution than my overpowered gaming pc.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ferremit posted:

Well after 10 years of working with National Parks doing maintenance and upkeep, Ive taken the plunge on a new role starting in Feb. Im becoming the new Plantation Coordinator for the Cleland Wildlife Park (still in the same gov department) But it means i'll be responsible for mapping, assessing, upgrading, maintaining, harvesting and establishing all the plantations of gum trees that we feed the parks koalas. AND creating full management plans for things like waste product disposal, increasing yields, bushfire contingencies etc.

Its gonna be a massive job and a huge change in direction for me, Handy little $10K a year pay rise too. Gonna miss some of the stuff I do now, and miss the guys I work with but im sick of being managed by someone who doesnt know what their doing and someone with a literal brain injury whos totally loving useless.

Im gonna spend the rest of my life smelling like vaporub...

Congrats! Watch out for the Chlamydia!

I just found out a person I knew hung himself recently. I hadn’t seen him in years but he was such a lovely bloke, it was a real shock.

Please watch out for your friends. If you’re feeling sad yourself, have a chat to someone. It’s such a sad thing when we lose nice people.

slothrop fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 7, 2019

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
That’s your three-in-a-row done buddy. You’ll be fine now!

Best of luck with all your parts replacing, it sucks to all of a sudden have a list of annoying chores.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Can we get Karen O too?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ferremit posted:

I think south Australia has moved to the outskirts of Mercury today... 46.9 degrees C in the city centre, 48.2 in Pt augusta!

Jesus. I was about to complain about a measly 40.4 in Melbourne today. Tomorrow we're forecast for 44, and I have to wear a suit and walk around :flame:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

freelop posted:

Got myself a deglover today

Congrats! Where’s are you headed for the honeymoon?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

freelop posted:

Minimoon in Edinburgh this weekend then Italy in summer

sounds ideal! drink some whisky for me

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Queen Combat posted:

I found a thing.

For five dollars, I had to pick it up.

that looks amazing

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

You Am I posted:

To all Aussie AIers:

Glorious

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
and here's the Kiwi version to boot. Sorry about the potato quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqESVAG6mTE

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

slidebite posted:

e: Also, another thing that you had no idea you needed until you have one: A hi-flow pot filler right on the stove. You don't use it every day, but when you do it's drat nice to have and kicks all sorts of rear end.

Is this a high flow water tap for filling large pots?

When we build our *forever* house, I'm getting a ZIP installed. It's *climate change induced record temperature* where we live and my girlfriend STILL has a hot water bottle in bed and with her 90% of the time she's in the house. I've come to the conclusion it's got little to do with temperature and it's more of a security blanket type thing.

Between that and the endless cups of tea she makes, may as well have instant boiling water on hand rather than her boiling the jug every 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
so sorry to hear about your pup Humphreys, he looks like the best boy. I think you're taking the right approach but that's not going to make it any easier for you. Hang tough man :glomp: