Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

5 more hours of 2018 for me. I have my snack foods and drinks ready, not planning to leave the recliner expect for the occasional piss break.

Happy New Years you goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Coffee's going, 2019 starting out pretty good so far!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm running two 4-bay QNAPs with 36TB each in JBOD. One backs up the other locally, syncing every night and holding 10 days of changes/deletes. I also do a monthly off-site delta backup. I chose QNAP because it's super flexible. I can do basic maintenance with their Android apps, full maintenance through the web interface. I can access the data as a network drive when I'm at home, and the media files both at home and away via Plex.

My side hustle is media conversion and editing, vintage media collecting hence the ridiculous amount of storage and hardware. I have 20TB of archived data and about 4TB of active data, so I'm only using about 2/3 of the capacity. Adding/swapping storage is fairly easy, but time consuming especially if you choose the conservative path. When I upgraded from 32TB to 36TB each it took about a week using the conservative approach.

There are probably a gazillion opinions around better ways to do what I'm doing, but what I'm doing works well for me.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

I have an emergency scraper that is the size of a credit card. It's super thick though.

:gonk:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

For those looking for a screaming HDD deal

https://bit.ly/2R6cLfK

8TB Easy Store at Best Buy for $130. Crack the case and it's a WD Red that sells for 2x that. Note that they are using white stickers now on the internal drives instead of the 'red' labels. People were selling them on ebays as Reds and profiting.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

BlackMK4 posted:

I've shucked a dozen of those, I had to tape off power pins on the newer ones to get them to spin up. Just a heads up, but super good deal

I haven't had that experience, and also have a dozen between the 8TB and 10TB. That's weird.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't feel like looking it up now, but it has to do with your PSU and which pins it supplies power to for the SATA connectors. Something about old PSUs supplying power to the 3.3v rails and the new drives being put into the sleep state due to this

It's possible the hardware I'm using doesn't care, which is why I haven't had any issues. Didn't mean to diminish your watchout.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

shy boy from chess club posted:

Speaking of video storage does anyone have a favorite program to rip my DVDs to digital so I can put them all on a ssd? It's time to setup my living room again now that my roommate is gone and finally setup a media server in my house for movies and music.

I've been using WinX DVD Ripper for a long time - I've only run across a few that it couldn't crack the DRM on. It's licensed, but you can usually catch it on sale.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I'd like to just get a nas that can run plex, that way my library is available without having to turn on my "theater" mini. However, I'm a little leery of most consumer grade stuff. Anecdotal, I know, but GN has gone through 2 synology arrays that had something fail within the first 6 months.

I haven't had a failure with QNAP in almost 5 years. I'm knocking on wood. Possible failure why I have an on-site and off-site backup.

Also, with JBOD there's no requirement for the drives to match. You might notice a performance change if a drive is a slower or faster speed than another, when you read/write to it.

Edit: I know 3 folks with current gen Pathfinder and all 3 are ready to dump it. The general concensus is it does nothing well, and the interior bits don't hold up well.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 5, 2019

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Sounds like the body shop did a bang-up job repairing your car.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

nm posted:

I rented one of these a while back. It has no power at all.
My daily driver has 100hp and 98 ft-lbs and feels fast in comparison.
It was nice inside though for that level car.

This was my take as well. It would be a nice urban runabout.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

First world problem:

I ordered a new top-of-the-line Whirlpool range. It was delivered today, went to connect the cord and the neutral connector is broken off. Fortunately the connectors are on its own little removable module, took it to Lowes. They told me to go to an electrical supply house, or call the 800 number and request a new range. I asked them if they had a floor model.

Until today, they literally never had a customer suggest pilfering parts off the floor model. Once it was suggested, they had no issues and helped me swap the parts. 5 minutes later, and a drive home, I'm back in business.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

slidebite posted:

Back when I worked retail many, many years ago that was totally the norm with a big item. They'd just claim warranty with the manufacturer against that unit instead of yours.

Glad to see a big box store still doing that instead of making you bring it back to return it or some god drat thing.

Don't get me wrong - their first suggestion was to report it as DOA and have me wait on them to order another range. Which is crazy because it's literally on a module held in by two Phillips screws.

I literally watched their mouths fall open when I suggested scavenging the display. A couple of beats later, they acted like it was the best idea ever and helped me.

I've already shot the store manager a thank you email.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

How many Cheetos is a freedom unit?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Depends on size of Cheeto and whether baked or fried

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ole!

:ese:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

meatpimp posted:

I just married my brother and his wife. It's an odd day.

Can't wait to hear about the honeymoon :laffo:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

meatpimp posted:

Okay, okay, I get it. meatpimp r not good with words.

Forget about words, we want the meat

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I get those daily, usually on the 2006 Civic Hybrid I dumped over 10 years ago.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Central vac chat:

My grandparents built a monster split level house in 1976. 6 bedrooms/6 baths, 2 garages (a 3 car on the lower level, 2 car on the second level).

They built in two central vac systems with the motors and repositories located in each garage. One serviced the ground floor, the other serviced the two upper floors. Most of the outlets were in the hallways, and a really long detachable hose (30 ft?). It took some strategy, but you could cover every square inch. The downside was that all of the apparatus required its own little closet (x2 because there were two systems), and it took a lot of effort to break it out and put it away.

The sweeps were super handy - there were 2 in the kitchen, 1 in the dining room, 1 in the sewing/laundry room, 1 in the workshop.

It took 2 years to find a buyer for the house when they passed - namely due to the size and the fact that it had 0 renovations since 1976. There were a lot of high end finishes that 35 years later just looked tacky. Or like a museum piece.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yes. Yes.

I'll have to break out some pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

STR posted:

Someone did way too much coke while doing the interior. :stare: That's late 80s/early 90s interior, and has no business in a 1996 house.

I was going to say the same thing, although I've learned that regionally some places lag on style trends. I knew immediately that house was in Michigan.