Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I like black mirror, white Christmas, San junipero, uss calister especially. I'll definitely be watching through bandersnatch again a few times to cover the decisions I didn't make the first time.

Back to work tomorrow, the whole Christmas holiday I've been ill in some capacity and I'm not looking forward to work as it is, but I've got a big list of crap I want to get done this year on the house and garden and I've ordered a few bits and pieces to get started so assuming we still have electricity after Brexit I'm going to push this year in the direction I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Get the flu, I weigh 3kg less now than before Christmas.

don't get the flu

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You're right, how you feel and fit clothes is far more important, I only know because every time we take my lad into hospital they seem to want to weigh the wife and I as well. Separately of course.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

They scale close enough, if you're more than 1 category from "healthy" and you're not a professional athlete you've got problems.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

I mean I'm far from a professional athlete. I'm around 15% body fat and I'm dangerously close to being "obese" at 215lbs, 6'0", and a BMI of 29.2.

If you aren't working out I guess it's an okay indicator.

IOwnCalculus posted:

At that point you're just tracking weight

Sounds like you guys need exercises that focus on your height :haw:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm sat here waiting for my laptop to create a recovery drive, 480gb SSD waiting to go in when it's done. I feel I should have started this when I was eating breakfast rather than planning tea. Also just realised the ext HDD case I'd got to house the old 750gb drive is usb micro, might have to go digging for a cable for that one.

My kid spent yesterday taking the Lego bucket wheel excavator apart and this morning we made a start on the alternative build, some sort of rubble crusher/aggregate sorter.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Recovery disk didn't work, standard recovery advice didn't work, doing the media creation tool right now. I feel like an old person having so much trouble with a computer.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Finally got time to finish up the laptop/SSD thing, it's amazing, anyone on the fence just go buy one now, totally worth the media creation hassle.

Now to figure out connecting the printer to the router so I can print without kneeling Infront of the printer because I've no long cables.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

sigtrap posted:

Another pet protip: When you lose your dog/cat and you don't have another one afterwards, budget for a new vacuum cleaner. Otherwise you'll smell dog every time you turn it on.

Oh that is harsh :(

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Good career things on this page, well done people.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tech support question, I have a good printer I've no interest in changing, however it's no Ethernet port and my router doesn't allow the usb port to be used for printers. Looking online for a wireless print server there are loads for £15-20, is this what I want and are there any recommendations?
E: planning to go router -> cat 5 -> adapter -> usb ->printer if that's right

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 12, 2019

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Is it not near a PC that you can use as a host? That would be the no-cost option, at least if the PC stays on all the time. Otherwise, yeah,a wired or wireless USB print server should do the trick. I’ve not used one, so I can’t comment on efficacy. The old HP JetPrint Ethernet-parallel external print servers worked great, on HP printers at least, which tells you how long ago I messed with such things. My current printers already have Ethernet and WiFi.

The only pc in the house is a laptop, using the printer currently involves squatting in front of it with the laptop on your lap, based on the only place it can reasonably live in the house. So yeah I think I'll pick one with good reviews and give it a go. Cheers.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hope this isn't the innocuous 1st chapter in the book about WW3

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

So I thought I could handle this week, let's see how it's going:
Get a text at 08:50, wife's car won't start. Later updated to turns over, won't catch, showing 1/3 of a tank but she's logged 300 miles since fill up so she thinks it's empty. I get home, try it, agree, dig out a jerry can, go get it filled, funnel it in and eventually get it primed and started.
Quick test drive and the rear brakes are making noise :doh: so that's on the list as well as new fuel sender/pump/filter assembly

In the middle of that I spent 6 hours driving a slushbox avensis to a supplier and back to find out why my job hasn't been delivered.

This evening the washing machine now refuses to take any powder/fluids, managed to coax it into life but that's climbed up the list to be replaced. Then I'm grilling something and notice the grill element is becoming a funny shape, better order one of those too!

:tif:

Tuesday is gonna be great you guys. Right?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I missed will/end of life chat but you guys are registered as organ donors aren't you?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dagen H posted:

Awesome

Edit for my Metric friends: that's -2 to -11C, with 15-25cm of snowfall.

:stonklol:

There was a light splattering of crappy wet snow when i came indoors to shoot an hour ago, worst case I'm expecting an inch.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

gently caress 'em, I'll adopt you QC.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't done nights for 11 years this sucks. 6 more hours and I just want to eat everything I brought with me what a pointless loving exercise.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Just had casserole for breakfast at 5pm, gently caress nights :v:

E: feel free to put me on ignore for a week, this is all I'm going to be moaning about :haw:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dagen H posted:

Just keep needle-felting fuzzy birbs

I've started a Pine Martin. I want to do a car next.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

freelop posted:

Got myself a deglover today

Joining the congrats train toot toot!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Anyone got opinions on the PHEV Outlanders? £12-15k gets a sub 100k mile one.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Also for those who don't read my boring project thread: This was caught in the now chewed-up hot side of my turbo on the blown engine in my V70R. I'm trying to figure out what it is, if it caused the failure or is a result of it.

That looks totally like a heavy gauge chain link, weird.

But that ^ is totally more likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You guys get your panties in a bunch over the weirdest things.