Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Theres a fair chance I've got some 4gb DDR2 SODIMMS floating around, but by the time I post the stupid things to the US it would be cheaper to drive to Canada and get them... loving Aus Post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Meanwhile the last few days its taken the entire 40 min trip home to get the inside of my car cool with the AC cranked. 40 degrees in the shade yesterday.

Our normal correctional services prisoner cleaning team didn’t turn up today so the boss and I got stuck with toilet cleaning duties. Day started with finding a turd in a urinal and went downhill from there

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

everdave posted:

How the hell do I take off these Japanese hood struts the right way? No clamp no pin. Any ideas?

Unbolt then. The new ones come with swaged in balls with threads

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Once you tie plex into Sonaar and Radaar, its hunger for storage space gets stupid.

And we need to change out some more drives because they're starting to hit capacity!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I have no idea just how the server is setup- my mate is waaay more into that stupid Linux stuff than me. I just provide a home for it and do the maintenance!

Best thing it’s got is a VM running piehole on it so all the YouTube ads gently caress right off

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Crawling around in storm water drains trying to get your very terrified and panicking cat out is a GREAT way to spend a sunday morning!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

everdave posted:

Toyotas always eat brakes for whatever reason. Get a used Lexus and be done. F a modern pathfinder

I know on the 100 because its got ABS it doesnt have a load proportioning valve, so it relies on the ABS unit to control brake force to the rear pads and to reduce line pressure went its not loaded so your not hammering the back brakes. Its not really that GOOD at it, and the rear pads are roughly 50% of the size of the fronts so they get the poo poo beaten out of them. Its pretty standard with any of the ABS equipped 80's and 100 series to replace two sets of rear pads for every set of front pads. And considering its toyota, I would NOT be surprised if all of their ABS equipped 4wd's/SUV's ran the same kind of programing

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Well after 10 years of working with National Parks doing maintenance and upkeep, Ive taken the plunge on a new role starting in Feb. Im becoming the new Plantation Coordinator for the Cleland Wildlife Park (still in the same gov department) But it means i'll be responsible for mapping, assessing, upgrading, maintaining, harvesting and establishing all the plantations of gum trees that we feed the parks koalas. AND creating full management plans for things like waste product disposal, increasing yields, bushfire contingencies etc.

Its gonna be a massive job and a huge change in direction for me, Handy little $10K a year pay rise too. Gonna miss some of the stuff I do now, and miss the guys I work with but im sick of being managed by someone who doesnt know what their doing and someone with a literal brain injury whos totally loving useless.

Im gonna spend the rest of my life smelling like vaporub...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Ive got two weeks to go before I start my new gig with a different section of the department, so my current section are trying to get every single bit of work out of me before I go.

Spent half a day yesterday in a 39 degree shed working on this:

Because someone didnt install the belly plate bolts properly/at all and the plate opened up and allowed this to happen...

Nothing like installing a 2" diameter stick through the side of the fuel tank an inch from the bottom!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

mewse posted:

Apparently they were leaky messes on the ground because all the seals were designed for extremely high altitude? Or am I thinking of a different plane

It’s more that because of the extreme heating that the airframe experiences during high speed flight they had to design the joints with some significant tolerances- one thing I watched the other day pointed out expansion joints in the airframe that were nearly 2” wide that at cruise closed up flush.

So when you gotta take into account an air frame that physically grows in flight, and a lack of any sealant on earth that can cope with the expansion AND extreme temps of course it’s gonna leak like a sieve. They leak in flight too, but a 10lb/hr leak doesn’t really mean much when the two J-58’s are burning 60,000lb/hr!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

bolind posted:

You know that feeling when you're stretched so thin at work that even if there were three of you, you'd still have your hands full? And you're not even 33% efficient because of context switch overhead.

In situations like these it would be real nice if coworkers could think for themselves (looking at you, Shanghai office) instead of passing the lukewarm turd around for a month in an email thread with a steadily growing recipient list. I'm sure CC'ing more people will surely solve the problem.

Fortunately, a new gig has opened up, and I'm a thin blonde one from signing. poo poo's gonna implode without me here, but that's not really my concern. My only complaint is that I'll likely miss out on a sweeeet severance package, but gently caress sticking around for that.

Its the same with me- I finish up in my current role end of Jan and start in a new role, within a new department on the 4th of Feb. Its suddenly dawned on my management whats going to happen when I go- They loose their best plant operator, their mechanic, their plumber, their welder, their fabricator, their fabricobler.... None of my workmates have the same skills that I do, and they freely admit it.

So they've lined my next few weeks up with this absolute parade of broken poo poo and utter clusterfucks to try and get everything fixed before I leave. Its not going to work. I spent a day and a half replacing a fuel tank in a skid steer loader- That was a job that was quoted at nearly $2K in labour alone....

Cant wait to see the end of this. I love the work that I do and the variety of it, I have some absolutely fantastic workmates who are practically family who im going to miss like hell, but I'm going to be so glad to see the back of the absolute sheer incompetence and infighting that my upper management is comprised of.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

44 degrees C in Adelaide on Thursday. Dear god that’s gonna suuuuuck if we get a bushfire

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I think south Australia has moved to the outskirts of Mercury today... 46.9 degrees C in the city centre, 48.2 in Pt augusta!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

Anyone got opinions on the PHEV Outlanders? £12-15k gets a sub 100k mile one.

We’ve got two brand new ones at work with less than 5000km on the clock so I can’t report on reliability. However the ugly bastards are averaging 1.7L/100km

That’s 138mpg!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I built a wall!

And the neighbour paid for it!

Im officially better at this poo poo than the republican party!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I've got a Neato Botvac D75 and its done an awesome job. Threw a high performance filter set and a 7200mAh LiPo battery at it and its a trooper- Runs around the house every day and cleans up after us and the cats.

Nice feature of the Neato's is their D shape- means they can actually get into a and run hard against a wall vs the round shape of the roombas which leaves a mess. That and the LIDAR control system vs visual cameras means it doesnt get confused bout the dark.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

I bought the PC remaster of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter on a whim because that was one of my favorite games in the N64 era. It actually holds up fairly decently for a shooter from 1997, outside of the fact that remember when developers thought god drat jumping puzzles were acceptable in FPS games? I'll probably pick up Turok 2 once I finish this one.

I picked up Age of Empires Definitive Edition the other day. I have now sunk about 25hrs into it already. Its EXACTLY the same game, right down to the cheat codes, except they've redone the graphic engine and now your peasants have TOES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Well... Techically I quit my job today. Its not QUITE quitting- Im still within the same government department, but Im going from the Public lands section to the Sustainable Economic Development section.

Start my new job monday. They're throwing a party after work to welcome me on Tuesday. My old boss couldnt even remember to ask the guys who work at our northern base whether they wanted to throw some cash in the hat to buy a farewell present so the guys down south where im normally based bought me a bottle of Makers 46.

Gonna miss the guys, not gonna miss the useless arsehats who 'managed' us.